Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbuschko
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010
    but there are two big black bars ... one above and one below!!! *irony mode off*
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    isn't this http://whatthemovie.com/shot/74868 stretched, like diagonally. Can't remember Range Rovers having such a strange line.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Nope, it's not distorted at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2010 edited
    Please help to delete this shot : http://whatthemovie.com/shot/54445# uploaded from the first page of Google image.
    (And if you're fast enough, you could have a hint for one of my recent upload :) )
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    while going through the archive i came across this still. kinda hurts my eyes
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/3455
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010
    There are some people voting for deletion on #9436 which is from december 2008, is this ok, or should these deletion votes be removed?

I thought old shots that are bad quality are not deleted, cause there's plenty of old bad quality shots and i dont think its fair to delete them now, its a bit late.
    It really would be really nice though to have the possiblilty to upload a better quality shot that replaces the old one, i already gave this idea before and think people liked it.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    I think naut and tliff are working on a system for this. And I have seen people sending others shouts to ask for delete votes because they wanted to upload it, this is NOT a nice way to play the game. The best thing you can do is 1: contact the original uploader, 2: contact naut or tliff and send them the better quality so they can replace it when they are bored someday or 3: contact a mod.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    I agree, I don't like it when people ask me to delete other people's shot, so I won't do that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2010
    What i usually do is just vote for deletion myself. If someone else also feels the still is bad quality they can also vote delete.
    I think asking people is a bit over the top indeed.
  1.  permalink
    well #9436 got deleted now, just becase someone wanted to upload it himself in better quality, i really dont think this is fair, the shot was 1.5 years old. If we start allowing this we can delete thousands of shots.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010
    I agree toffetomas, really don't like this
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Agreed, there will be a system for replacing bad quality shots some day, so original uploader will still be credited.
  2.  permalink
    yes, i would like that (it was my idea originaly ;) )
    but for now? could this shot be put back? and maybe make it clear that people are not supposed to delete shots that are older than a year or something?
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    maybe make it impossible for shots to be deleted that are already in the archive (longer than 30 days in feature films)?
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    about 1 month ago
    there was also an shot from my old uploads deleted
    it was also more than a year old
    oke it was not perfect quality but at that time there were more bad shots :)

I ask moderators about the deletion

for example I got from:

Chrisy
    "it doesn't matter how old it is, we have more old pictures which get deleted regurlarly as people visit the movie pages. And to be honnest, that's perfectly fine. We even want eventually to get some sort of replacement function where people can replace a bad quality shot with a new one coming from dvd. This is a way to make the site better ;) This gives the opportunity for someone who has the shot to post it in the quality is should be"

M00ch
    "I assume it had a few old vote deletes on it already, and as people went through the archive they agreed with the vote delete. Sorry. Perhaps your question is better suited to the people that vote-deleted your shot."

"But it doesnt matter how old it is I guess, if people think it needs to be deleted then they are free to vote whenever they want."

so I dont think they can put it back because what I understand is deleted is deleted
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    I like the replacing thing
    and also it is good that archive shots cannot be deleted only by mods or something like that
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010 edited
    well, i really think this is BS, really dont think your shot should be deleted as well lordmyst.
    but if it works like this, i know some shots from naut, tliff, mooch and chrisy that we can delete as well ;)

edit: just want to add, this particular shot was deleted cause someone wanted to upload the same shot himself in better quality. I'm sorry but i really think it shouldn't work like this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Toffetomas, I don't know why you had to drag me and the other moderators/admins into your argument, we didnt delete LordMysts shot, other users did - we just said it was their right to do so. The option is there so we can't scold people for using it. Turning this into some vendetta against us is pretty weak. Also, 4/5 of the votes on LordMyst's shot were from when the shot was originally posted - and someone added the 5th vote when going through the archive, so it is a completely different situation.

But you are welcome to vote for deletion on any of my shots you believe they are bad quality. I want what is best for the site, and I'm not going to throw a tantrum if one of my shots is bad quality and gets deleted, as long as it deserves it. Go for it.

I would suggest to *anyone* however that nicer behaviour though would be to mail the better picture to quiz@whatthemovie.com, with a link to the old, bad quality shot and someone will replace the original. You won't get uploaders credit for it, but you will get a warm fuzzy feeling knowing you did something for the site with no reward. I know that tliff and Naut are working on a replacement feature, so this can be automated, but I don't know when this will be ready.

In summary, arranging with other accounts to blast old bad quality images is pretty bad behaviour, but not *technically* against the rules. If you want everyone to hate you, then feel free to blast old crappy shots. If you want what is best for the site and the other users, mail the updated image to quiz@whatthemovie.com
    @mooch: first of all i think you missed my point (and emoticon ;) ). But i drag you and other mods/creators into it cause you are the only ones that can do anything about it, but instead you allow this. Maybe lordmyst's shot was a different situation, but the shot i was talking about was deleted cause someone asked at a bunch of people to delete it such that he could upload it. Come on, i really think this behaviour is totally wrong and you're the ones who could do justice but instead you're trying to talk it right.

edit: you say people will hate you when you do this, but i normally never see any shot deleted (i just saw this one), so how can i hate those people who do this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Read all of what I said. All we (mods) are here to do is uphold the rules. And no rule is being broken here. I agree with you that the behaviour sucks, but no rule is being broken. In what I said above I am not trying to talk it right at all, I agree with you. Arranging for old shots to be deleted so you can upload it again does indeed suck. But what can we do about it? If it is bad quality then technically it can be deleted, and we cant monitor the thousands of shots in the archive for every possible vote delete.

OK, we could reinstate it, but then it would be back in FF as a new shot, and would almost certainly be deleted again if it's bad quality.

The only possible solution I see is if we make it so that once a shot hits Archive, you cannot vote delete it. Sounds fair to me, if it has been in the wild for 30+days with no problem then its pretty safe. But as you know this would require the intervention of the admins to actually code this, it isn't something we can do.
  3.  permalink
    i read all you said... and i do agree that we agree on most of it, only i think something should be done, and you don't.

"But it doesnt matter how old it is I guess, if people think it needs to be deleted then they are free to vote whenever they want."
    this i dont agree with and i think you try to talk it right. i really thought this was an unwritten rule, not to delete such old shots and certainly not this way. But apperantly its all about the written law and not about descency at all... ;)

i dont think its a good idea to make it impossible to vote for deletion after 30 days, cause sometimes a dupe gets discovered later for example. and i dont see any reason why you should have to monitor all shots for deletion votes. But before a shot gets deleted it just should just be needed to be approved by a mod, its that simple. (i thought this already existed, but apperantly it goes to FF then)

if i would make the shot that was deleted and mail it to you, could it be put back?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    quote:
    ""But it doesnt matter how old it is I guess, if people think it needs to be deleted then they are free to vote whenever they want."
    this i dont agree with and i think you try to talk it right. i really thought this was an unwritten rule, not to delete such old shots and certainly not this way. But apperantly its all about the written law and not about descency at all... ;)"

This is a ridiculous statement. Of course it is about decency. Quite frankly though, it is *also* about the written law. These things aren't incompatible.

Please tell me how members of the site that DON'T use IRC/forums (a very large percentage, we are in the minority here) are going to know about any "unwritten rules" ? You cannot give someone a delete button, tell them it is OK to delete images that are bad quality, and then berate them for doing it because of some "unwritten rule" that has been decided in the forums. How were they meant to know? The world of WTM is a LOT bigger than us forum dwellers.

I'm not "talking it right" but try to see this from other's point of view. I agree with your point. And like I said I think the polite way to deal with it is to mail the better quality shot to quiz@whatthemovie.com. The original poster still gets upload credit, but the bad quality image is gone.

quote: "i dont think its a good idea to make it impossible to vote for deletion after 30 days, cause sometimes a dupe gets discovered later for example."

Well in those rare occasions, you can contact a mod to do something about it. This would be the best solution imo. This way no-one can delete old images, and that would solve all your complaints wouldn't it? I'm guessing it is more common for a bad quality image to be there than a missed dupe. I will talk to the admins about this possibility.

We could add something to the FAQ also, but unless there is something physically stopping people from deleting old images, it will still happen again I am sure.

EDIT: And I am not saying that nothing should be done. I'm just saying it needs more than an "unwritten rule"
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    good news: tliff and me are going to meet tomorrow and we’ll fix some urgent issues (like this one) :)
  4.  permalink
    Before a shot gets totally deleted it just should be needed to be checked by a mod (with the possiblity to put it back where it was), and add a rule that says dont vote for deletion on old shots, its that simple.

But for now, could i mail the shot to quiz@whatthemovie.com, such that it could be put back and the original poster still gets the upload credit, but the bad quality image is gone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    "....add a rule that says dont vote for deletion on old shots, its that simple. "

Like I said all along, it needs a written rule........ however I don't think we can excuse terrible quality pictures just because no-one has called them out yet. They need to be replaced.

You can mail the original image ID, and the new picture to quiz@whatthemovie.com with a brief explanation and I'm sure tliff or naut can hack it.
  5.  permalink
    ok, shot sent.

But i think we do need some clearity on this subject. Do we want people to delete old shots that are bad quality or have black bars or whatever. Or don't we want this, and just make a rule against it and wait for a system with the possibility to replace them somehow or whatever.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    on a side note, it is true that we get these shots in our deleted queue and the mods get the final word. However, in this queue we cannot see from when the shot was posted, so it is impossible for us to make the difference between an old shot or a shot which was just posted in the new submission.
  6.  permalink
    and you can only put it back in FF as i understood...
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    ^^ Seconded what Chrisy says. All we see is a bad quality image with "bad quality" votes beneath it. So it gets nuked.

And tomas - you are right lol it's what I have been trying to say all along. We do need clarity. We can't penalise people for betraying some unwritten rule, it needs to be stated somewhere, or the site itself needs to prevent votes after a certain time etc....

I say we wait to see what naut and tliff come up with. As naut said above, they are meeting tomorrow so we won't have long to wait.
  7.  permalink
    you dont penalise anyone by putting the shot back and making a rule ;)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    yes, we also can only decide to move them back to the FF (of the current day) which is a problem in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    "you dont penalise anyone by putting the shot back and making a rule ;) "

No. You are however penalising them by deleting their new good quality shot, when they didn't follow some "unwritten rule" they couldn't possibly have known about.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010
    My two cents, for what they're worth...

I think what happened here sucks (I mean : "hey, I have a better shot, let's delete this one and *I* will upload the new one").
    That's why I seconded toffetomas's idea about a replacement/upgrade system, a while ago (even if I might have given credit to them00ch since I couldn't find the original post).
    I also think the "not automated" alternative way suggested by them00ch should be the way to do it as long as the feature is not implemented.

But I do NOT think we should prevent deletion votes for archive shots. The Archive section contains lots of dupes, not from DVD shots, distorted shots, ... Those should be deleted, in my opinion.
    Of course, the best thing to do should be to have them replaced with a new high quality shots... but it's not always possible.
    For instance, this shot is not from DVD : http://whatthemovie.com/shot/59224
    And you just can't make the same shot from the DVD. This sequence is actually quite different... even if the movie it's still recognizable from this promo shot. That's why it should be deleted, IMHO.
    • CommentAuthorFrggl
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010 edited
    In FF today there's a particularly bad shot: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/87418

This is clearly not taken from a dvd, it's blurry and full of artifacts. I started a delete vote, but it's my experience once they make it to FF these are always removed.

It's a good shot though, I have the dvd myself and skipped through it to get a replacement, but can't find it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2010
    made a replacement, much better than this one. However, replacements can only be made in archive. I second your delete vote....
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I checked my DVD and it has the same quality as this shot... So it looks fine to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    weird then
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    i also checked my dvd, gives me the same result. Had a similair thing happen to me with From Dusk Till Dawn.
    Maybe it's Tarentino :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2010
    I got a (or several) delete vote(s) on #88618 and I don't know how to handle this. I took the shot from the original double-layer DVD, so it won't get any better. I see that the faces are kind of unsharp, but I liked the colors very much and thought, it would be ok, as long as it is from DVD.

If the quality is not sufficient for WTM it would be nice if you could help deleting it faster - so I do not have to suffer the whole 48 hours. Otherwise I would be grateful if some high rank removed the delete vote. Thanks. You rock. Gonna take my valium now :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010 edited
    Let's up the topic !
    A lot of new players arrived on the site (that's great !) and so a lot of new awful and "low quality" shots are uploaded.
    Some of them are going through the New Sub process without being deleted, they are in FF now ! For exemple :
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/128872
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/128320
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/129166

Please look carefuly, you can see the artefacts, especially in the monochrome parts.

We have to wait 30 days to upload a better version.
    I guess I'm not the only player seeing this, so I hope you will help me to delete the "low quality" shots before they will be admitted in FF. This is not a job for moderators (they have many other things to do), this is ours !
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010
    Maybe it's a hint but 2 of your links come from the same movie. I don't know the dvd but it is likely that the dvd itself is of low quality, and maybe an intentional low quality (from the director).
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    In fact, the two shots are coming from the same movie and the same uploader, who assures the shots are taken from a DVD.
    I also took shots from a DVD of this movie this week-end, and I can say the quality I obtain is much better.
    If the quality is intentionaly low, the uploader should precise it in a shout, don't you think ?

Anyway, I'm not leaving for crusade against low quality, I just want to draw your attention on it.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    torqu3's shots of this movie have been Awesome Uploads btw, so there was no way of stoping them from entering the FF.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I'm not sure, it is very difficult to be sure with this movie, at first I thought http://whatthemovie.com/shot/128320 was not from the dvd, I have a better one of it but looking at some more shots I have, some can look the same bad quality, this is pretty much the quality of the dvd and intended. It just should have been taken at a better moment ;)
    You took shots from the blueray maybe Lepaposaure?
  8.  permalink
    I agree with you Chrisy, we actually talked about how hard it was to take good quality shots from this movie. I rented the DVD and wasn't able to take a shot I liked because of the quality.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    oke sorry but because of @efji (yes this is a huge hint)
    I could solve the second link from @LePaposaure
    please don't spoil the shots people

you diehard WTMérs need to know this ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Well, people who read this forum deserve some hints sometimes :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    @dooom : I haven't seen it was Awesome Uploads, so you're right, there is less a emergency to stop bad shots entering FF.

@Chrisy and theoffice : I took shots from a DVD, not Blu-ray.

So here are the two shots :

torqu3's :

mine :

Perhabs I'm wrong, I don't want to create a big debate about it (I can see many "crapers" people don't want to be annoyed by my shouts :p), but as I have used my deletion vote a lot these past days, I just wanted to tell you about it...

edit : well... the two shots are quite similar when I see them now... perhabs I need some sleep... :)
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010 edited
    quality of the shots is the same(not the same frame..but close)..its DVD quality..camera is a bit blurry and moves a lot..but its not bad quality..
    so you can stop with bad quality comments and replaceplease tags now..yeah?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2010 edited
    I think yours is worse LePaposaure ha ha ha
    No seriously, they are the same and the way it should be and to be totally reassuring you and warning everyone, I will check everytime there is a shot from this movie to make sure it comes from dvd you can be sure of that. Quality must be terrible as a download and we will see it ;) I will take the same shot each time if I have to (you've been warned ha ha)

Now, can people please stop posting AU of this movie evey day or every 2 days so I can post mine? thanks you ^^