Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011 edited
    Now we all can come here to cry so our shots can be accepted in FF..lol..
    this is like second time doooom did that..and his shot is accepted in FF..perhaps it's time I try that too.. xD

Really hoped that my http://whatthemovie.com/shot/139986 would make it. I liked that shot very much. :))
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2011
    Wow. Love the new system!

My shot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/94584 was rejected some months ago. I really liked it. Maybe it can be cry-pushed directly to the archive. Thanks, you rock!
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2011
    Well, thanks to the mod who pushed the shot to the FF. If i come to this thread and complain about low rates or that my shot didn't make it, i certainly don't do this with the expectation that my (rejected) shot goes through because i post in here.

@RDPL & agonistes
    Thanks for your comments. Good to see someone else likes this snap.
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2011 edited
    It seems we're having a new wave of low ratings here. I don't want to complain, because I don't care anymore, but I've really lost interest and will in uploading and spending time here. And I'm not even talking about my shots. I haven't got many in my upload folder at the moment and I don't expect high grades for some of my shots, but some of the shots I see in NS really deserve a higher rating. Is seems that a boob/penis is a big help for your shot to get accepted, or even become a SOTD, with tons of better shots in the archive. I don't want to argue with anyone, I simply wanted to state my opinion because I think that the situation here is getting worse from day to day.
    • CommentAuthorTor
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2011
    Yes @Tor, sometimes WTM is disappointing.
    But look at my last FF uploads and my last rejected shots :

Do you notice something ?

yeah

That's obvious
    (what? I am using the pala style ? Am I ??)

Yes obvious

WTM don't like ACTORS !!

WTM likes empty spaces, ugly monsters and Bambi, but WTM hates the actors.
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2011
    @efji

the FF is a quiz, and solving tons of shots with a imdb list of the movies of an actor/actress is quite boring (me don't want do that, it seems i am not the only one), so i don't wonder why they got rejected, especially since you can upload character shots ^^ I give only a high rating on character shots, if there is something especially/unique to see on the shot too.

If WTM hates actors, why they maked the feature "charactershots" ? I think you are wrong ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @winterwolf

Do you really consider my above rejected shots as "character shots" ? come on!
    Personnally I find empty landscapes, clouds, deserts, sunsets, sunrises, trees, planets and bambi much more boring than the light in the eyes of an actor. Even if it is Brad Pitt :)
    @efji

we got a different opinion about nice shots it seems, but hey its good then people have a different opinion. Would be sad all people like the same. But for landscapes etc. there are no features like for charactershots.

And there are tons of characters shot of well known actors deserves a high rating, because they are especially, and there are some nice shots of Brad Pitt here too. But they must have something especially to be not boring... http://whatthemovie.com/shot/45868 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/58579 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/130301 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/145485 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/31026
    • CommentAuthorTor
    Well i like all kinds of shots, i only don't like it when i see a shot from the same movies everyday. For example, i love the HP movies and when i started playing here i thought about uploading a shot but now that i have seen how many shots they have i just lost the will to find something that hasn't been uploaded yet. Maybe if one day a week there was a certain theme for what kind of shot you can upload, like fridays can only be character or landscape or weapon shots, and each week it would be different. Just an idea.
    @Tor
    i dislike this with the theme for a day. Then you solve in the FF at one Day 80 Charactershots, next Day 80 Weapon Shots etc. This would be boring for me. It makes more fun when the shots are mixed.

But i agree with the problem of seeing to much shots of the same movie. I know many people here want a change at this. There should something done, like if the movie got already 25 shots on WTM, the timer a new slot is available should be 10 days instead of 7 days, more than 50 shots 15 days, more than 75 shots 20 days, more than 100 shots maybe 25 or 30 days.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    We're fully aware of that. And we said it several times already: this feature (or a similar one) is on our to-do list.
    • CommentAuthorTor
    Well i didn't mean for it to be everyday a certain theme, just 1 day in the week and each week something different.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    @Tor
    I think that's what the vault contest are for. There you have uploads for a sepcific theme.
    • CommentAuthoryippiekayay
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2011 edited
    I think the system isn't that bad actually.
    Though I can imagine people having problems with coming across a lot of HP shots or POTC or Ice Age or whatever, but I think you should just solve them and get on with it.
    When I look at the variety of shots in the Feature Films I'm really proud of all of us.
    I believe everybody is doing a really nice job uploading good shots, especially considering a lot of shots of old movies are already uploaded in the past.
    I don't think there should be a limit, you should just upload the shot you think is awesome!
    Remember, these shots only get accepted when the rating is high enough, so I guess the majority doesn't mind.
    If you just select the 'random snapshot' button instead of 'random easy snapshot' you would see great shots that will give you a hard time solving comparing to HP and others. Take these easy snapshots for granted I say!

Keep uploading!

Yippiekayay!
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011 edited
    Sometimes it is very impressive :
    this one jumped from 8.07 to 7.86 in a few minutes, just around its 24th hour in NS :)
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/164509
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011
    Yes, do the math. A 4 vote of somebody who solved it does the trick, nothing impressive about it. Also, nothing suspicious about the votes, except maybe the 10-vote of one of your fellows just after your forum post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    OK. Thanks
  1.  permalink
    I was the one who voted 10 after this post ! Nothing suspicious about that :)
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011 edited
    @efji
    this happens to almost all my shots, actual NS Shot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/164423 goes down from 7,97 to 7,63 with 2 new votes (don't know which one or maybe both votes extrem low). Got about 1-2 week ago a downrating from 8,03 to 7,35 (52 votes 8,03 - 57 votes at 7,35). Very annoying, but i seems all uploader got the same problem
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    theoffice911 : I know, was just somewhat kidding (although for some users it can be seen that some of their fellows vote 10 on most/all of their shots (not saying you do that, personally ;))).
  2.  permalink
    Looking at my rejected snapshots it seems that WTM don't like classic musicals.
    • CommentAuthorElinka
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011
    I think there are users, that expect to see a nude shot when they press 'next', the disappointment drives them to rate low..
    Therefore, post some nude shots, they will get high votes..
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2011
    @Elinka
    My personnal nude record :

22 nude shots among 449 rejected shots (4.9%)
    18 nude shots among 366 FF shots (4.9%)

Nudity is not favorable for acception nor for rejection.
    Good news !
    • CommentAuthorElinka
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2011
    #165290 got rated 1 at least once. I guess people don't like closeups of smoking old man with glasses and sideburns..
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    I think every shot gets ratings of 1/10 at least once...no matter how good it is.

The problem why your shot has only an average rating is because it's a character shot and it is very difficult to achieve good ratings with shots where there is not more to see but just the characters face.

Most people find that boring and vote average then (unless it's maybe a very famous character or something else on the shot which is special)

Also such shots can be uploaded with the character shot function, so many people think why giving it a place in FF and taking away 1 place for another good shot, if it can be uploaded with the character shot upload function easily.

Plus your shot is from an unknown movie (no solves) that's another reason why people tend to vote lower when they don't know the movie.
    Maybe you will have luck and it will be saved magical if the movie has under 10 shots in archive. :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    We don't JUST push shots of movies with less than 10 in archive ;)
    • CommentAuthorElinka
    it has only 2 shots in FF (saw a shot of the movie in one of the contests , it looked ok so I gave it a try, movie's rating should be just below that snap's rate..) :s
    I won't be upset if it won't make it to FF, the upsetting thing is the 1/10 vote.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    As Fireball said, all shots get 1 votes. And in my eyes, that's a good thing: people should vote just as many 1's as they give 10's (with some exceptions).
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2011
    the problem now is you got a too high rating.

oke its my opinion
    but a lot of shots dont deserved a 8.0 or a higher raitng

a few examples (still its my opinion, if somebody dont agree please tell, I dont mind)

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/171684 (47 votes, 8.15)
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/171469 (59 votes, 8.05)
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/171439 (92 votes, 8.00)
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/171450 (65 votes, 8.15)

normally this shots are getting an average of a 7.2
    but last month the rating changed
    • CommentAuthorTor
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011
    Wondering what's going on with FF, usually there was over 2000 of them but in the last month they just keep lowering in number, its around 1600 now.
    Didn't want to make a new thread about this, hope it's ok to mention it here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2011 edited
    It's summertime I think :)!
    • CommentAuthorNYCPoobah
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011
    I have been having a hard time getting pictures accepted into FF and I understand that people have differing opinions on what a good shot is so that hasn't been bothering me. But then I see a shot like http://whatthemovie.com/shot/174128 accepted into FF with a rating over 8 when I submitted a similar shot from a different movie http://whatthemovie.com/shot/173260 which got rejected with a rating under 7. They are both black and white photographs of a sports team and appear in similar points in their respective movies. I would understand a small difference in the ratings but not this much. I'm not looking for my shot to be accepted but I'm wondering what the big difference is so that I can find shots taht will be accepted.
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011 edited
    Ok, I will give a try on this...

1) The shot of kaylua shows the pic of the Team from a very close perspective, you can see the faces of the each Team members, they are smiling, you can see the charme of each team member in a way...people usullay like to see that. On your shot however the pic of the Team is shown from a more far perspective, you can't really get the charme of each Team member, because you only can see them very dimly. Basically you just see this pic hanging on the wall with this ugly background...and that's it.

2) The timing of uploading a shot is sometimes very important. While one day a shot can get a very low rating, in a few months when you try again the people vote completely different. We often had some shots already which were rejected the first time and when a user tried it again another time it surprisingly made the Sotd.
    So maybe you had a bad timing too that day when you uploaded it.

3) But the biggest reason in my opinion why the ratings are so different is the number of solves. Your shot has 23 solves, while the other shot has 187 solves. That's a big difference. More solves means more people have seen the movie and probably enjoyed it, they automaticly vote better compared to a movie they haven't seen. When a person solves a shot their vote counts 3 times...so each good vote counts three times while most votes for your shot counted only 1 time and were more average voted because less people know this movie, so they tend to give more 5, 6, 7's than 8, 9 and 10's.

In general it's not easy to get a real good vote with more unknown movies unless the shot is really stunning. At least I made this experience that you usually have to hope your shot gets magically accepted when you upload an average shot which comes from a not well-known movie.

Well these would be the reasons which would come into my mind which could explain the rating difference.
    Of course there can be other reasons as well...

However I have to say my personal votes were equal on both of these shots. :)
    • CommentAuthorNYCPoobah
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2011
    Thanks for your feedback Fireball.

1) A few seconds later, there was a closer shot of the picture that I could have submitted but my preference was to have the wall in the shot based on the way that the pictures was shown in the film. I could try to re-submit the closer shot of the picture but I do not think it will make much of a difference in this case.

2) I could have gotten a better score at a different time but I agree that the biggest reason for the difference is 3)

3) I think you are right in that the big issue is the number of solves. I've tried six times to get a shot for this movie into FF but I have not had any luck and I think I'm just going to move onto other movies. While not a big blockbuster in the U.S. or Internationally, it is considered one of the top sports movies (in the U.S.) which is why I'm surprised that at least one shot has not made FF in the past. I'm also guilty of voting for favorably for a shot if I know the movie, especially if I know the context of the scene. While this is not the best example since it has a low rating on WTM, the following shot in FF http://whatthemovie.com/shot/24 would only get a high rating if you saw the movie and you knew what the scene was. If a similar shot was posted for another movie, it would have no chance.

I'm going to keep trying and hope my luck gets better. When so many get rejected, it makes the ones that get accepted (only one so far) more satisfying although I'm hoping to get another one accepted soon http://whatthemovie.com/shot/174384
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    @NYCPoobah almost all my post are from little known movies, so that's a long time I don't care anymore to the note... 95% of my FF films are accepted thanks to the mods...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    @NYCPoobah: There is a lot of charming WOMEN on Kaylua's shot ;)
    • CommentAuthorElinka
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/179053
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/179068

Firstly, I would like to thank the only person (or 2) who gave either one of these snaps a 10...
    Sometimes, when I watch a movie in a theater and there's this epic scene or really cool thing I think to myself that 'this could be a great WTM snap..', that's what I thought when I saw the second snap.. The first one is just there because I thought that this part of the movie was pretty cool, guess not that much (I'll probably try other snap from that part). Also, these movies are not that anonymous: Other snaps from the first snap's movie got ~90 solves, while from the second snap's movie they got ~125..
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/181851

27h left: 8.17 (Wouhou, at last one of my shots will go straight to the FF!)
    24h left: 7.91 (well, maybe it will be a bit tougher than expected)
    13h left: 7.57 (Dammit, I'm doomed, f***ing bad day...)

:(
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011 edited
    Shot checked, nothing suspicious. I am guessing it was my rating of 3 that lowered it considerably :P
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    Ah ah, I guess you're right Asmodai :)
    BTW, I was not suspecting anything... should I?? ;)
    One strange thing I noticed anyway is that ratings are almost always good at the beginning, 20-30 first votes, and then starts to collapse... Is it specific to my uploads or is there some other people having the same "problem"?
    • CommentAuthorTor
    I have noticed the same thing Shayah, it's either random or lots of people change their mind :)
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    That's my experience as well, Shayah, ratings start high and tend to get lower all the time.
    My interpretation is that the real film lovers who are on line non stop value our carefully selected shots for what they are worth, whereas the lousy bastards that come by after a day to rate 100 shots in ten minutes have other criteria. Not sure if that's a correct interpretation, though. :-)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Or... the people who are always in NS hunting for first solves see it, rate it first and don't look at the shot, rate high to avoid complaints and quickly go to the next possible first solve. Whereas the people who miss the first solve take their time to see the lousyness of the shot... Also probably a wrong interpretation :P

My point is, we don't know, so let's not start being all suspicious all the time.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    I am trying not to be suspicious, really. But it's just so terribly annoying!!!!! Until 25 hours 8+ and then the ratings fall. I probably have to upload better shots..
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @JohannaP I have noticed the same thing: shots close to 8 just before 24h and getting lower after... Not a big deal. I even had some shots close to 9 after 20 or 30 votes that finished with low ratings close to 7.
    • CommentAuthorTor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011
    It's not THAT big of a problem but are there any plans of not making it posible to change your vote?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011
    No, there are not. If you want to know why, read some of my previous posts in which I explain it.
    • CommentAuthorPzy
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011 edited
    Why is this snapshopt always bad rated? http://whatthemovie.com/shot/186875

Every *** snapshot gets a bad rating, are WTM people hating *** or whats the reason? :(
    • CommentAuthorJojo1337
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2011
    you think 7.54/10 is bad for a very easy shot only showing 2 sleeping characters and nothing more? :)