Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010 edited
    Hey everyone,

Finally, the time has come again for a new contest. And not just any contest: we are going to do a new Draw the Movie!
    DtM differs from other contests on one thing: it is NOT allowed to use any shot you took from a movie, you have to create everything yourself! This can be a drawing (both with pencil as paint), a sculpture, a picture of you acting out a memorable scene, some sort of puzzle where the name of the movie is the answer, etc. Give your creativity free range!
    Just take care that:
    - You don't use any shot from a movie, not even highly edited
    - Make it yourself! No stealing from other people's work.

Ruleswise, this is just a regular contest, with one big exception: There are no limits to shots per movie, so no need to fight for slots. We do expect everyone to hand in "shots" from seperate movies, so not filling all your own slots with the same movie.

Regular rules:
    - No hints.
    - 2 shots per uploader, 3 for contributors.
    - Top 10 solvers and uploaders win awesome uploads.

To give everyone enough time to create something awesome, there is extra time before uploading starts, and to make sure everyone gets a chance to see and solve all the magnificent shots you guys will make, solving will be two weeks.

Dates:
    Uploading starts friday october 22nd, 20.00 CE(S)T (no idea if that's still summer time or not, but local german/dutch time :P)
    Solving starts friday october 29th, 20.00 and ends two weeks later on november 12th.

http://whatthemovie.com/vault/17 to the contest
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010
    Yeah! Have a couple of ideas, let's see what I can come up with.
  1.  permalink
    I'm gonna make a raid into my Daughter's toy stash!!!
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    maybe I will make something
    the first draw contest I didn't compete
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Keep it fair, Pala, and let your daughter raid your toy stash in return.
    • CommentAuthoraril
    Wonderful! Great topic choice ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010
    Awesome! I loved the previous 'draw the movie' and this one will probably have many more shots :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMichele
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010
    yay, i loved the first one! =D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2010
    Yeah great!
    Last time was stunning, beautiful, awesome and hilarious funny. :)
  2.  permalink
    "Keep it fair, Pala, and let your daughter raid your toy stash in return." << It probably says a lot about me that my first mental image was of a little girl running around happily waving a Fleshlight above her head.
  3.  permalink
    Thank God!

Now I know what is a Fleshlight!
    I just ordered one.
  4.  permalink
    I can imagine they'll be horrible to clean though. Or are they dishwasher safe?
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010
    yeah awesome :D
  5.  permalink
    @OhLookBirdies
    Because you have to actually clean this? Why?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010
    I just want to make sure that people understand this, it would be a pity if we would have to delete shots people have spent an amount of time working on, so:

The usual rules for movies that you can upload from do apply, so no shots from TV movies, or movies that aren't released yet according to imdb.
    Also, we don't want any shots that holds a snapshot of a movie, not even if you edit it a lot or throw some photoshop filters over it!
  6.  permalink
    Yeah. But you can edit any pictures you want (from Flickr Creative Commons for example). Right, Asmo?
    Because I just finished 2 snaps.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010
    really love the idea, i wasn't there for the first contest of this kind and i'm really happy to do this one! It's a great idea.

I was wondering, i know its a website about movies but, is there anybody here who asked mods and creators by the past if we can do a TV shows contest one day? Just asking.

Cheers
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2010
    It has been asked, but I think we agreed not to do it because it would create a whole bunch of new entries in the database, even less people buy TV-series dvd's than movies and you would need completely new rules for it.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010 edited
    Alright, good point here.
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010
    just to be sure.. the images as they show up on wtm are in a 720X400 PIXEL RATIO?
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    Yeah I'm pretty sure they are, at least that's the size I have my last ones in, and also the size I'm currently using for my new shots.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited
    Not exactly.

The WTM frame is 720x400. But your uploads should be 720 wide *or* 400 high.
    Actually, your shots can be any size since the WTM upload system will adjust them to 720 wide or 400 high (depending on their aspect ratio).

Reminder:
    We do *NOT* want your regular DVD shots to be cropped/resized to 720x400. Just take your snapshot, cut the black bars off (and *only* the black bars), save it in high quality and upload it.
    In case you have missed it, a 3-page tutorial: http://siboul.free.fr/wtm/
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Well, since you may create a shot out of nothing with photoshop, paint, whatever I think this is not the case for this contest. Just for regular snapshots.
    I can imagine Bazzy that he wants to use the maximum space available for his shot...
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited
    Yeah, my answer is more related to the regular DVD snapshot uploads. I edited the last part to make it clear.
    But from what we see in NS every day, it's still worth reminding people the WTM frame and the snapshot itself are two different things.
    And in the end, what I wrote above is still true for Draw the Movie: your shots can be any size since the WTM upload system will adjust them to 720 wide or 400 high (depending on their aspect ratio).
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    don't worry, i never crop my regular shots.. but in this case, as rulo said already, we are creating out of nothing :)
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    Same here, I was only talking about the Draw the movie shots. As I want the correct ratio (either filling up the whole 720x400, or having it 2.35:1, so 720x306), I'm making my shots the exact size I want them to be at the end.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010
    Just a reminder that uploading started!
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2010 edited
    How does it look Asmodai for now ? Are there great shots ? :D
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    There are, but we need more! ;)
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    I was on holiday last week but I'll try to make and upload mine tomorrow. The ideas are there, now let's hope I can make a nice shot.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2010
    is it maybe an idea that when you recreate an existing snapshot of wtm to temporarily delete the tags of the other shot? (and put them back after the contest.)
    cause otherwise it will be real easy to solve some of these shots..
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2010
    tomas: yeah, sure
  7.  permalink
    @Asmodai
    If you need more shots, well, I have more!
    I've made around 10 shots I didn't finalized.

Can I post more than 3 just for fun?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    You'll have to talk to naut for that ;)
    • CommentAuthornevs
    Palah,
    can't I borrow one of you're awesome shots;)
  8.  permalink
    Naut says it is not possible!
    He says it wouldn't be fair.

He's right but I have thousands of ideas!

@nevs
    Here is an idea to help you out:

- Get an Earth picture from Nasa.
    - Find a cowboy hat on Flickr and put it on orbit.

And you'll have a nice snap. Easy to solve in color. Difficult if in black and white…