Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010 edited
    Oke, i'm not bitching because i didn't get it.. but i think the rating system sucks, this is why:

faves for snapshot count 3 x 10 right? so

when a ss with fever votes let's say 50 gets 3 faves

3 x 10 x 3 (because it counts as solved if i am not mistaken)

compared to a ss with more favs, lets say 5 faves with 70 votes

and the ss with 70 votes has a higher rating.. it still will loose from the lower rated ss, simple maths..

it happened to me today.. it it a flaw if you ask me.. my ss has a higher rating and more faves ( http://whatthemovie.com/shot/121673 ,8.14 5 favs, 70 votes ) compared to the sotd of today ( http://whatthemovie.com/shot/121638 8,12 3 favs, 50 votes)

this is wrong i my eyes.. there's got to be a better way of counting favs imho, avareging them to the number of votes could fix it

congrats to OsmanXimenes with his sotd... but there seems to be a mathimatical error here.. i think it should be fixed

let me know what you think
  1.  permalink
    I agree with Bazzy at some point. Wouldn't say the system sucks, I really dunno how it works so who am I to question that....but just judging on the overall rating and number of faves it seems to me that's just not right. More votes means a more stable rating, so when it's taken by the proportion it ends up creating a small distortion, after all, in this case, it's a difference of almost 30% of votes o.O and even if the faves count more points, the bear shot has more faves, what should have pushed it even higher. Well, I can't say properly it's unfair, but since it "won" in both parameters...

I'll take this line to congrat Osman for his capture also. It was a tight choice it seems and both contestants for this night were great :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfreddelgado
    Yeah.. I don't agree with that too.

In favs and vote test I would be SotD at least 5 times using the fav and vote criterias.
    What bugging me, in real, is: some pics of mine (and a lot of shots around here) pass with 7,8 (per example) but then they magically goes to 8,2 or something when the day snapshots' vote was over. The 'bad' voters trully screwed some pics, it's because a selfish or friendship interests. I don't really know.

I got some pics with 8.40 (taking as exemple) and then they going down and down... When they are accepted the rate rised again but the number of voters don't changed at all.

Of course the SotD becomes a goal for the most of us here but I think it's for quality not just for status or something (I always vote fair and I gave a lot of 10s and I have a lot of favs). Well, the SofD lost some credits with me. I don't know how it works but the board maybe should take them by a personal will. Select the well voters or well favs (or both) and then choose the shot by they personal will.

It's just an idea.
    In my point of view the unfair voters are killing the site.
  2.  permalink
    freddelgado:

I think you've got a point, been noticing that same thing that you're talking about. They go down in rating, and boom once they're in FF they start to climb again.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010
    I haven't been here at midnight, so i don't know how ratings and favs have been back then. But if at the time the SotD was awarded there was another shot with a higher rating and more favs this one should obviously have been the SotD

To me http://whatthemovie.com/shot/121638 isn't SotD material anyway. Easy shot from a relatively well know b/w movie, with nothing special or really interesting about it. But then again i don't understand a lot of high ratings on the site anyway.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Most of this has been said before, but let me just repeat it:

First, the exact formula for calculating SotD we keep secret, to avoid abuse, but I don't think it's that favs count exactly three times. They do, however, count for calculating it.
    Second: The fact that the rating of a shot rises in FF is only natural, partly because people who vote there don't vote for bucks and only vote on the shots they like, but also because people in FF put more effort in solving a shot, because that's a guaranteed point while in NS you're not sure until it's accepted.

And lastly, a personal note: I am getting EXTREMELY sick and annoyed of a lot of people who are basically spoiling the game for me, complaining about EVERYTHING and especially the fact that everybody seems to vote triple 1's on any shot that isn't their own or something like that. We are welcome to constructive criticism, but this is just complaining about how your poor shots don't get accepted, sotd, or whatever, in my opinion. I have therefore decided to stop paying attention to this forum, if anybody wants my opinion on something, please feel free to shout my profile.

Have fun, and good luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010 edited
    rating - 8,55 vs 8,01
    favorites - 1 vs 9
    SotD - yup / nope

xD