Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBeautymist
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011
    Hi there,

I've noticed that quite a lot of movies that I like very much are not present on the WTM database, and when they are, very few people love or know about them. But that's a simple issue. I simply can add them to my faves, write interesting reviews, etc...

Another issue that bugs me even more is overrated movies that a lot of people like but that IMHO are deep down lame, stupid, have fascist ideas, or are plain bad. I'd love to voice out my opinion, but without raising a war here. Any suggestions ?

thanks,

BM
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Same thing, basically, write interesting reviews, etc ;)

Just keep in mind that everybody has a right to his/hers o pinios, if people really like dumb action stuff, then let them, there is no need to convince them to stop watching these things.
    @Asmodai!

thanks, I'll keep that in mind. And I was not thinking about dumb action movies (sometimes they're entertaining and that's cool, because they don't pretend to be more than entertainment), but about movies that are supposedly more subtle but deep down are not that good, or have even evil qualities to them that people don't see at first sight, IMHO.

BM
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    As I said, just keep it clear that you only give your opinion and that people can make up their own mind about what they like or think is good :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011 edited
    Oh, be careful. When I dared to say Kick-Ass and Inception are in my opinion not great the joyful crapping and utter nonsense on each of my reviews began. This is basically a reason for which I didn't post my review of "There will be blood" and other movies I loathe and masses like, given that I fear to think what may next step after crapping be? :) setting up new accounts so that you can crap me many times?
    I find imdb.com to be great place to express your opinion, trolls are usually handled by the community of users.
    But good luck to you!
    thanks, @sati!

I AM being careful. I didn't shoot just yet. Simply testing the ground.

and I think I'll concentrate on providing knowledge on loved films rather than explaining why some mainstream movies are crap (or worse).

BM.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011 edited
    I'm looking forward to your work! :)
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2011
    Actually, Beautymist, I am rather curious to hear those ideas about films that have 'evil qualities' (which people do not see at first)! :-)
    • CommentAuthoraril
    At the risk of being off topic and repeating what has been said many times before, I just want to say one thing about reviews on WTM:

The 'well written/utter nonsense' voting system doesn't make any sense. I often find a review well written, but still think it's utter nonsense. The two are not opposites. 'Well written' says something about the readability of the review and the thought and effort that were put into it, 'utter nonsense' is the opinion of a reader who disagrees with the reviewer's verdict on the movie. That is the way I see it, and I think many users see it the same way.

It doesn't make sense that hard working review writers lose WTM bucks when others disagree with their opinions. Still, I like the fact that people are able to vote 'agree' or 'disagree' on reviews; that way I can tell whether the reviewer's taste is very different from that of other WTM users.

In short, I think it should be 'Totally agree' or 'Utter nonsense' (I don't mind the WTM lingo) and no WTM bucks should be involved. That way nobody needs to worry about being 'punished' for their opinions - we all know taste is a very personal thing.
    @Antituur mmh... don't push me!

I don't want to start a raging war here!

BM
    @sati thanks for your encouraging me!

@aril thank for your wise words. as i'm a newbie here, they don't feel repeated or anything. just very useful information.

BM
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Aril is so right.
    Unfortunetly the staff disagress, or at least they did when I raised the issue. Basically 340 bucks were taken away from me for spending hours on Kick-Ass review, coming here, posting it and doing the same thing every few days when I upload my reviews and each time I lose about 10-30 bucks since rest assured, the eternal crapper will log in and go through the reviews on home page just to crap on mine. I'd prefer agree/disagree since I resent the word "nonsense" as everyone is entitled to their opinions, but that's like dreaming about riding on flying pink pony - ain't gonna happen.It used to bother me but now the only thing that bothers me is that the crapper goes as far as to visit the profiles of 3 girls I shout to more often and craps my shouts there. That's sick. To quote Will Wheaton from Big Bang Theory "I live in his mind rent free" :)
    @sati that's sick indeed.

that's why i chose a different nickname and will post reviews on imdb only.

BM