Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorwandermac
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011
    dear friends of WTM, I should clarify that what occurred on account of "wanass" had nothing to do with some of her attitude, everything was my fault, I was childish and unsportsmanlike, he departed from me and not her, she did not know, I know I'm wrong and you should not do this, but it was done, I would go back but it is impossible ... please do not blame them for something she did not, we have discussed this at home, and at first she tried to clean up the mess I made ​​but in the end the truth is that I did wrong, did it because I thought it would be she had a legal "sotd" just the week I returned to live with her. when I used the resources she was still asleep illegal ... and I, childlike other accounts used to raise the note of it. just think she should not pay for my mistakes because she's a very ethical (and I was not) and does not deserve the mistrust of other people, I apologize to you and all users of the WTM, I'm very ashamed of my attitude and , believe me, I will not use more of these resources and will accept the punishments that were imposed on me, although I believe that 12 months without being able to post films is a very harsh punishment, because I love playing and, especially, post movies, always looking for good rental and try to post good feature films and good scenes (according to my taste - that of a picture editor who dreamed as a young man to be fitter film), thank you all for your attention and hope to continue playing this game I like. s since I apologize for my immaturity, a big hug to everyone.
  1.  permalink
    thanks for your honest words to the community, wandermac! much appreciated!
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    thanks for the honesty wandermac, I think the WTM community will forgive you and will be happy when you come back again after a pause.

We are all humans and do mistakes from time to time. :)
    • CommentAuthorwanass
    thanks , olimpiquetango!
  2.  permalink
    Always good to see a honest confession..
    Hope these things wont happen in the future..!
  3.  permalink
    Damn ! I never thought of this !
    That's why I'm rejected all the time with my amazing shots...

Don't tell anyone but I'm gonna use multiple accounts to boost my snaps too.
    Nobody will catch me since I now know they can track me down with ip adresses thanks to your scandal.

Your terrible fall will be the key of my success.
    Thank you from my heart.

Palahniuk.
  4.  permalink
    No problemo wandermac :)
    Everybody makes mistakes (I did too) but we're a nice community so you should be fine!
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I discover this poor story and cry.
    I love all the wanass's shots, whatever she votes. She is a real high level contributor of WTM and she is banned for childish reasons.
    Maybe it is the whole voting system that is childish ?

And I cry seeing how difficult it is to reach FF with demanding shots and movies, while the LOTR and Disney posters are climbing higher and higher in the uploaders HOF.
  5.  permalink
    It's the WHOLE VOTING SYSTEM who's wrong !!!
    Everybody knows that.

I'm telling you : I'm gonna organize a strike and we'll use Wanass avatar as our MARTYR.
  6.  permalink
    It's an endless debate efji, we have talked about that since the beginning of the game!

People in the top50 solvers have trouble solving 50% of the shots as it is. If you let through more and more b/w shots from movies with less than 2,000 votes on IMDb, people will leave the game. It's fun to solve 25% of the shots, but a lot of people will get tired of clicking 40 times a day on shots they can't solve.

I love your shots, hell I even love RDPL55's shots (I'll deny having said it lol) but let's face it : they come from "little known" movies. So either we become an elitist game-site with 200 players who are happy to solve 10% of the shots (I'm not saying it's a bad thing : I'm sure we'll all discover awesome movies that we've never heard of before) or we wanna be a more than 1,000 players game-site and that means we have to upload and solve easy movies.

So far I think it's working well : we have lots of players, lots of uploads, the moderators push some of the "little known" movies that would never go through on their own... --> The game is hard, but not too hard so people with less movie knowledge than you can still have fun! And players like you, who knows a lot about movies, can still have fun too as you don't know 45% of the movies that are uploaded every day.
    We still discover great directors and great movies (I'll never thank Chrisy enough for making me watch "Enter the Void" and make me discover Gaspard Noé) without losing players : sounds good to me!
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    The mods did the right thing here. Of course wanass & wandermac are high level contributors and I love their shots as much as you, but just because someone is an old player in here or contributes very much he still has to stick to the rules. If the mods wouldn't take action in this case everyone would do what he wants. WTM is a nice playground and a lot of fun, but only with certain rules it can be fun for everyone.

I also think this story will be a sign for all players, because it shows that the mods take action and give out hard punishments no matter if you are an old player or not...this can be only good for WTM longterm and make it a more fair place for the future.

So in my eyes we have to forgive wanass & wandermac and welcome them again in the community, but also thank & support the mods for their good work in this case.

However that the voting system maybe has to be improved in a way, I agree with you...even I doubt cheating can be avoided completely in any case.

And most important: Let's not forget it's just a game at the end (even a really addicting one)...if a shot doesn't make it, just a grab a new one. :)
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2011 edited
    I don't agree with you efji when you speak about the voting system being childish, so are the ban reasons. We investigated and they have been using three accounts for more than a year only with the goal of increase the note of every shot they uploaded. Mods can't just warn players like that and say ok you apologized, i'm gonna remove your ban. That can't work like Fireball said, even if the players are "high level contributors", that doesn't mean we don't have to ban them when they create 3 accounts to cheat, i think, indeed, they need a real ban because they knew the rules and they know how this community works and how we don't like cheaters badly. Don't forget also that this kind of players are, sometimes, the reason why some of your shots don't make it to the FF.

And like i said before, you are not banned for 12 months, it will be less, but mods haven't decided the exact duration yet since we discovered it was not the first time you did this with your 3 extra accounts.

For the voting system, i agree with theoffice911 on this one, i mean i am also bored when i see LOTR shots or Harry Potter shots, even 300 shots, but if we only keep RPL55 shots or shots from unknown movies, we will loose like 75% of the players. We want everybody to be able to play, noobs, experts, cinephiles, if we only keep rare movies, we are gonna be only 200 hardcore players instead of 9000 active players monthly. Mods are really trying to push a lot of shots from movies with a little number of shots on WTM you can trust me, i see that everyday, and personally that's how i push shots, i'm not pushing a lot of shots but when i do, its from movies with less than 10 uploads, everytime.

Anyway, like Fireball said (again), it's a game, a game has rules, and cheat is not allowed. A lot of evidences were found, bans have been given, end of the story
    •  
      CommentAuthorKeyser_Soze
    @kinoute
    "Mods are really trying to push a lot of shots from movies with a little number of shots on WTM you can trust me, i see that everyday, and personally that's how i push shots, i'm not pushing a lot of shots but when i do, its from movies with less than 10 uploads, everytime"

Well I think that's not fair to most players, not all have/or want to have "rare" or "little known" movies, many buy/rent only blockbusters and similar. Also there is lot of new players, they didn't have the chance to upload shots from eg Sin city, Harry Potter and etc before.
    So that means their shots are less likely to be magically accepted which is not fair in my opinion. I like seeing shots from "little known" movies and sometimes get bored with famous ones but if I upload a POTC shot I like to think it was rejected because it wasn't "great" not because it's POTC AGAIN.
    I understand that known shots get better rates and I agree we have to give some kind of edge to less known ones (so I think ability that mods can see how many shots the movie has is great) but not like you said: every time :)
    So for the end: Do not rate the movie. Rate the awesomeness of the shot... Same thing should apply for accepting shots :)
    But I think mods and the whole staff are doing a great job

...and thanks wandermac for confession
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    I'm gonna say it in another way : I don't push EVERY shot from movies with less than 10 uploads, but when i push a shot (which is VERY rare) yes it's a shot with a note like 7.2/10, one favorite, good looking and less than 10 uploads or something. But i don't push every shot with less than 10 uploads! It's also a good way to increase and equilibrate the WTM database. And don't worry about "little known" movies, the others mods push a lot of shots and they do it fairly!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKeyser_Soze
    Ok, now you said it more clearly. And I didn't say you push every shot with less than 10 uploads, it's just that you will never push POTC (again, only for eg) shot, but that's no biggie. I believe in mods judgement so there's no problem as well...Just thought sharing my opinions
    • CommentAuthorsandrusz
    "Do not rate the movie. Rate the awesomeness of the shot... Same thing should apply for accepting shots :)"

I don't agree with this one.
    Because this is a quiz game.
    The snapshots are here to be solved, and I think this site is not about collecting as many awesome looking snaps as possible.
    It should not be a beauty contest. It's about movies.
    Some movies are animated or have special technology,so they look awesome, others are like our lives,
    no CGI, no animation, no b/w, just people, not-awesome stuff, but it's beautiful in some other ways (like John Cassavetes movies).
    So, I think, many of us, consider also what the movie it is, and not just how the snap looks like.
    That also explains why many of well-known Hitchcock's movies have a high rating.
    Do people rate just the awesomeness, or also because they know it is from the master, and deserves to be here?
    Or take "Pulp Fiction" or "Fight Club" - not every shot is awesome, but people like this movie and give often high votes.
    Or maybe the shot is not that awesome, but you remember the great scene there - and you want it to be in FF.
    So, of course we all consider what the movie this is. Not always, but often.

When I solve (and this is the most important thing for me on this site, and for the most of the players here, I think)
    then I am bored when I see every 6-7 days the same movie, especially from the same user. That's boring for a quiz.
    Sometimes you can even solve snaps just knowing who upload it, 'cause some upload 5 snaps of the same movie in a month.
    And then I think: OK, this movie was already there last week, and two weeks before also, and three weeks before and it is from the same user,
    so I give it a lower vote. Somehow I think it's more interesting, especially for people who only solve snaps.

But I also agree with theoffice that we also need easy snapshots, so I give a lot of 8-10s for movies who are easy to solve, but not if there are here too often.

And for the end, yeah it's just a game.
    I don't even vote for my own snaps, if they make it - great.
    If not - I can try again.

And if a movie is special for me, and I think this movie is important to be here, I can use an awesome upload for it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKeyser_Soze
    Then you don't agree with WTM policy cause it says "Do not rate the movie. Rate the awesomeness of the shot" when you're voting. Of course for me to some shots are more interested if I know the movie, even more if I like it but I try to rate it the same way I would rate some other similar shot from bad or unknown movie (for me). For example a face of Brad Pitt (EDIT: without any "twist") from Fight club will get the same rate as face of some "unknown" actor from "unknown" movie, low :) no matter the scene. I also love tricky and "smart" shots and rate it high.
    But we all have different taste so this is touchy topic :)
    And I agree with the second part you said, about same uploader, easy snaps and awesome uploads...
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I can only say RESPECT to wandermac

you did someting that was wrong and you admit to us and to yourself that you made a mistake
    its only sorry that wanass was accused to something she didn't do

all forgiven

WTM FOREVER!
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @Keyser_Soze
    of course you don't believe what you say :)
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/30204

I agree that mods do a great (and tough) job, even though most of the time I wouldn't have chosen the same shots. With time we learn their tastes and notice that well contrasted b/w, large empty spaces (deserts/sunset/ocean/snow field) or obscure monster/sf movies from the 50's are more prone to be chosen, than, for example, shots from "Touch of evil" that suffers from a poor dvd quality in spite of the well known talent of Welles for the frame.

The voting system has many bad side effects but I admit I do not know what could me set to replace it.

And of course all my respect to wandermac too.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    @efji : Don't forget the shots with cats.
    • CommentAuthorVinceNet
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011
    efji: "And I cry seeing how difficult it is to reach FF with demanding shots and movies, while the LOTR and Disney posters are climbing higher and higher in the uploaders HOF."
    sandrusz : "The snapshots are here to be solved, and I think this site is not about collecting as many awesome looking snaps as possible.
    It should not be a beauty contest. It's about movies.
    Some movies are animated or have special technology,so they look awesome, others are like our lives,
    When I solve (and this is the most important thing for me on this site, and for the most of the players here, I think)
    then I am bored when I see every 6-7 days the same movie, especially from the same user. That's boring for a quiz.
    Sometimes you can even solve snaps just knowing who upload it, 'cause some upload 5 snaps of the same movie in a month.
    And then I think: OK, this movie was already there last week, and two weeks before also, and three weeks before and it is from the same user,
    so I give it a lower vote. Somehow I think it's more interesting, especially for people who only solve snaps."

I had to second these comments, that's exactly how I feel.
    I think reposts are an insult to the regular players (the core of WTM) who have to see the same snapshots 5-6-7 times... Reposts should be allowed every 2 months, not 2 weeks.
    The same user should be able to try uploading shots for a movie twice in a row, after that he should have a delay to allow other players to upload shots. I've seen people litteraly monopolizing a movie for weeks, as Sandrusz said, you just have to remember who uploaded a shot from that movie and you can be sure the next 5-6 ones are gonna be the same. Hell, if he or she is a supporter he can keep the movie for him/herself for months
    Using an awesome upload for a shot that was refused through the NS is a big fuck off to democracy, it's like when your government makes you vote and if it's not accepted they do it anyway. (Of course, WTM has to live and it gives the supporters a nice edge but still I find it arrogant)

Ok I'm done ranting, wtm is awesome
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2011
    "The same user should be able to try uploading shots for a movie twice in a row, after that he should have a delay to allow other players to upload shots."

We are working on this.
  7.  permalink
    What do you mean, Asmo : do I have to upload cat snaps now ?
    I'm confused.