Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    ********* LATEST UPDATE (9/18 Sun 3:30 PM GMT) **********

The AFI tournament has come to a conclusion.

12 Angry Men has emerged as Best movie of AFI Top 100 (2007) who defeated VERTIGO by 51 - 47

Thanks to everyone for your continuous support and enthusiastic participation..!!
    Let's have some fun activity here..!

I always like to find the best movie out of a movie list but don't like the idea of simply directly selecting/asking the best out of 'n' movies 'cause it would not be fair to the rest of the movies. I always wanted to give each movie a fair trial and a knockout tournament would be a fair one to judge the winner among the movies. You'd have come through numerous movie tournaments in the net esp in IMDb. This is no different. Would like to have one such tournament here also. I'd like to start with the AFI Top 100 list. I know it is not the most celebrated list but it is the first list which got me hooked to the movies. I'd like to pay homage to that list. :)

You know the rules but anyway let me state them for the record. Here, each movie is scheduled to compete against another movie based on their seeding (juts like Tennis). What you have to do is just vote for the best among those two movies (link in where you should vote is given below). The movie which gets more number votes in a certain amount of time period (say 2 or 3 days) will advance to the next round to meet another movie. Just like the many other movie tournaments you'd find in the net..

I have put all those 100 movies from AFI list (2007 version) in a knockout tournament bracket. Seeding is based on the AFI ranking.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

The Best movie of AFI Top 100 (2007 version) is

12 Angry Men

Thanks everyone for your support and participation..!

You can see the previous results and the complete fixture of movies here: http://sonix768.challonge.com/afi07_sngl

Feedbacks welcome. Forgive me if there is any mistakes. This is the first time I am conducting any such games. Looking forward to your support.
    If you have any doubts please post them.

Thanks. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011
    Great idea Tommy.
    Some of the matches are extremely hard to decide. How can you possibly compare Sunrise to the Apartment or Sullivan's Travels to Unforgiven :)
  2.  permalink
    yeah :)

And for me the toughest was Godfather II vs Blade Runner :)
  3.  permalink
    Guys, I see a significance increase in the number of votes but no activity here..

You can post your comments/suggestions/questions about the matches here.. :)
  4.  permalink
    This is a great idea Tommy!

edit: Forrest Gump Vs The Deer Hunter is a tough one !
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011
    Some difficult choices indeed.
    Great idea, real fun!
  5.  permalink
    @office: Indeed... Deer Hunter and Forrest Gump are going neck-to-neck at the moment.. :)
  6.  permalink
    *******LATEST UPDATE (8/27 Sat 6:35 PM GMT) ******

The deadline for the voting of the first 18 matches of the first round is SUNDAY 28th AUGUST 6 PM GMT

I have updated the initial post also.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2011
    The Deer Hunter should win!!
    The Sound of Music vs The Sixth Sense was tough, I took The Sound of Music :D!
  7.  permalink
    *******LATEST UPDATE (8/28 Sun 6:05 PM GMT) ******

The voting of the first 18 matches of the first round has been closed.
    The rest of the 18 match poll will be opened shortly

First 18 match results:

Match #1 : Network def. The African Queen by 53 votes to 21
    Match #2 : The Godfather II def. Blade Runner by 55 - 32
    Match #3 : One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest def. Do the Right Thing by 65 - 10
    Match #4 : The Apartment def. Intolerance by 56 - 10
    Match #5 : Rear Window def. Spartacus by 65 - 16
    Match #6 : The Shawshank Redemption def. Rocky by 66 - 20
    Match #7 : The Sixth Sense def. The Sound of Music by 37 - 36 (Hard luck for Sound of the music.. :( )
    Match #8 : Jaws def. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid by 47 - 34
    Match #9 : King Kong def. Bringing Up Baby by 40 - 32
    Match #10 : Unforgiven def. Sullivan's Travels by 38 - 30
    Match #11 : Double Indemnity def. Ben-Hur by 55 - 26
    Match #12 : The Bridge on the River Kwai def. The French Connection by 44 - 31
    Match #13 : Taxi Driver def. All the President's Men by 60 - 15
    Match #14 : Easy Rider def. Shane by 35 - 23
    Match #15 : Duck Soup def. Tootsie by 48 - 19
    Match #16 : Goodfellas def. The Best Years of Our Lives vs. by 54 - 24
    Match #17 : The Deer Hunter def. Forrest Gump by 47 - 40
    Match #18 : The Philadelphia Story def. A Night at the Opera by 44 - 21
  8.  permalink
    The poll for the second set of 18 matches is open now. Oi'll be stay opened till tuesday evening 7 pm GMT

I needed to change the host site as it allowed multiple voting if you delete the cookies or if you log in after some 30 hours or so. Not that I doubt integrity of our voters, it is just didn't feel right to have a vote at a site which allows multiple voting without any to check. The new site also allows that but at least I can see the IP address here.

Please visit here to vote for the matches from #19 to #28: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DSDWZM9
    Please visit here to vote for the matches from #29 to #36: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DSR65FK

Please pardon me for providing two links as the new host site don't allow more than 10 polls per page :(
  9.  permalink
    I thought Bonnie and Clyde would give 12 Angry Men a run for its money but turning out be a one side match :(
    And surprisingly, Snow White and Last Picture Show going neck-to-neck at the moment.. Is it because of the hate for Snow White or is Last picture is really that good??? (I love snow white and haven't seen last picture yet)

Midnight Cowboy vs. Platoon & North by Northwest vs. the Silence of the Lambs are the matches of this round.. :)
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011
    There should be no match between NbN vs SotL... the only adventage of SotL is to be more recent...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2011
    The Last Picture Show is an incredibly good movie, all should watch it!
  10.  permalink
    ^ Yeah. Will surely watch it before I vote.. :)

And Toy Story is terribly lagging behind Apocalypse Now. I seriously do not know what is so great about Apocalypse Now. I admit, it had a great acting performances by the leads and great ending but didn't find anything so great. Maybe I'm missing something. TS on OTOH, was a influential, trend setter to animation movies and a great movie itself.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011
    "Toy story" is a movie made for kids..."Apocalypse Now" is for adult public... That's the difference...People under 12 usualy prefer Toy story... others should not :)
  11.  permalink
    Well, thats nice way of putting it.. :)
  12.  permalink
    *******LATEST UPDATE (8/30 Tue 7:45 PM GMT) ******

The poll for the first 16 matches of the second round is open now.
    The poll will remain open till roughly around Thursday night 8 PM GMT.

PLEASE REFER TO THE FIRST POST FOR MORE DETAILS

The second set of 18 match of the first results:

Match #19 : (66) Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark def. (63) Cabaret by 38 votes to 10
    Match #20 : (31) The Maltese Falcon def. (98) Yankee Doodle Dandy by 37 - 2
    Match #21 : (34) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs def. (95) The Last Picture Show by 26 - 20
    Match #22 : (50) LotR: The Fellowship of the Ring def. (79) The Wild Bunch by 34 - 24
    Match #23 : (82) Sunrise def. (47) A Streetcar Named Desire by 27 - 20
    Match #24 : (58) The Gold Rush def. (71) Saving Private Ryan by 39 - 24
    Match #25 : (39) Dr. Strangelove def. (90) Swing Time by 36 - 8
    Match #26 : (55) North by Northwest def. (74) The Silence of the Lambs by 37 - 31
    Match #27 : (87) 12 Angry Men def. (42) Bonnie and Clyde by 48 - 16
    Match #28 : (67) Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? def. (62) American Graffiti by 31 - 6
    Match #29 : (30) Apocalypse Now def. (99) Toy Story by 49 - 23
    Match #30 : (94) Pulp Fiction def. (35) Annie Hall by 52 - 19
    Match #31 : (78) Modern Times def. (51) West Side Story by 42 - 10
    Match #32 : (46) It Happened One Night def. (83) Titanic by 36 - 20
    Match #33 : (70) A Clockwork Orange def. (59) Nashville by 40 - 10
    Match #34 : (38) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre def. (91) Sophie's Choice by 29 - 9
    Match #35 : (75) In the Heat of the Night def. (54) MASH by 23 - 19
    Match #36 : (86) Platoon def. (43) Midnight Cowboy by 29 - 22
  13.  permalink
    ********* LATEST UPDATE (9/1 Thu 3:05 PM GMT) **********

The poll DEADLINE FOR THIS ROUND IS EXTENDED.
    It will be open till roughly around Thursday night 11 PM GMT at least.
    Will communicate the proper deadline soon.

14.  permalink
    ********* LATEST UPDATE (9/2 Fri 5:35 PM GMT) **********

The poll has been closed for the first 16 matches of the SECOND ROUND.

Poll for the next set of 16 matches is open NOW.
    This poll will be open roughly around till 4PM GMT on 5th September.

First set of SECOND ROUND match results:

R2 Match #1: (1) Citizen Kane def. (64) Network by 40 votes to 15
    R2 Match #2: (32) The Godfather II def. (33) One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by 33 - 31
    R2 Match #3: (16) Sunset Boulevard def. (80) The Apartment by 28 - 27
    R2 Match #4: (48) Rear Window def. (17) The Graduate by 44 - 16
    R2 Match #5: (72) The Shawshank Redemption def. (8) Schindler's List by 35 - 29
    R2 Match #6: (25) To Kill a Mocking Bird def. (89) The Sixth Sense by 43 - 16
    R2 Match #7: (9) Vertigo def. (56) Jaws by 49 - 15
    R2 Match #8: (24) E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial def. (41) King Kong by 29 - 28
    R2 Match #9: (4) Raging Bull def. (68) Unforgiven by 35 - 20
    R2 Match #10: (29) Double Indemnity def. (36) The Bridge on the River Kwai by 33 - 21
    R2 Match #11: (52) Taxi Driver def. (13) Star Wars by 37 - 23
    R2 Match #12: (20) It's a Wonderful Life def. (84) Easy Rider by 34 - 13
    R2 Match #13: (5) Singin' in the Rain def. (60) Duck Soup by 32 - 15
    R2 Match #14: (92) Goodfellas def. (28) All About Eve by 35 - 21
    R2 Match #15: (53) The Deer Hunter def. (12) The Searchers by 25 - 21
    R2 Match #16: (21) Chinatown def. (44) The Philadelphia Story by 36 - 12

Please inform me if there is any discrepancies in the post here and the actual results.. Thanks.
  15.  permalink
    For me the upset of the tournament so far is " The Shawshank Redemption def. Schindler's List by 35 - 29 "...I mean, how this be possible? Not that it is a bad movie but Isn'T Shawshank is generally hated among expert movie fans? I can understand when it defeated Rocky in the first round but I've never expected it'd win over Schindler..

And great escape by ET. It was trailing by some margin but made a great comeback. But I'm sad that King Kong got eliminated. I think, Spielberg and David Lean are bit unlucky. At least ET won in a humdinger of a match while his celebrated works like Saving Private Ryan and Schindler's list got eliminated in their first matches. For David Lean, two of his epics has lost to a same movie , Double Indemnity.

And we are gonna have a great match in third round..Citizen Kane vs. Godfather II . But personally I'd have preferred One flew over godfather (pun unintended :) )
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011
    @Tommy
    I think David Lean only had two movies in the initial list (Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia) with Lawrence being still in the contest. So there's gotta be some mistake in your previous comment.

And for Shawshank Redemption: I don't know if experts usually don't like it. I thought it was a very good film and i prefer it compared to Schindler's List.
    I'm btw a bit disappointed The Apartment lost to Sunset Blvd.

PS: 12 Angry Men vs Grapes of Wrath? Now that's a tough choice.
  16.  permalink
    "So there's gotta be some mistake in your previous comment."

yeah, my bad.. I was referring Double Indemnity vs Ben-Hur match of the first round. And, got bit confused Wyler to Lean.. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2011
    the choices in the new round seem to be much easier this time :)
  17.  permalink
    Not for me.. These are tougher for me.. :(

R2 Match #20: (18) The General vs. (82) Sunrise
    R2 Match #21: (7) Lawrence of Arabia vs. (58) The Gold Rush
    R2 Match #22: (26) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington vs. (39) Dr. Strangelove
    R2 Match #24: (23) The Grapes of Wrath vs. (87) 12 Angry Men
    R2 Match #25: (3) Casablanca vs. (67) Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
    R2 Match #26: (30) Apocalypse Now vs. (94) Pulp Fiction
    R2 Match #27: (14) Psycho vs. (78) Modern Times

And I'm sad to see High noon is losing to treasure of siera madre.. Not that Huston's movie is any less good but I like the revolutionary plot of High Noon which enraged the likes of John Wayne. I mean, the plot is very realistic and you wont see often the lead in western asking help of each and everyone to stand up agst the villain. And add to that, the real time screenplay..Oh, I love the movie very much.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011
    Casablanca vs. Virginia Woolf is the trickiest yet for me, so far...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    @Asmodai: That was indeed very tricky, also for me. I finally went with Virginia Woolf.
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    @Tommy
    For me Match 20 Sunrise should win but wont. the technic, the filming is much much superior... but it deals with universaland a-temporal problems which are very obsolete in postmodern world.
    Grape of Wrath technicaly much superior to 12 angry men in which it is only the subject that prevails... it's mostly filmed theatre (Lumet did it a lot of time as an expert) if you think purely cinema Grape of wrath is superior. The same with Casablanca and who's affraid, the latter is perhaps more interresting by the subject but on the "cinema" point of view Casablanca is superior. Apocalypse now has much more to say and is much better filmed than Pulp Fiction...it's only avantage is to be more recent. Psycho is better. The match Lawrence of Arabia Gold rush is strange... films so different. Mrs Smith Dr Strangelove is olso difficult for me. I agry with Tommy for High Noon. But this movie often divide people...
  18.  permalink
    ********* LATEST UPDATE (9/5 Mon 6:20 PM GMT) **********

Poll for the THIRD ROUND is open now.

Please visit here to vote for the matches from #1 to #8: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/758YY98
    Please visit here to vote for the matches from #9 to #16: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/755VB7F

This poll will remain open until 9/8 thursday 4 PM GMT at least

Second set of SECOND ROUND match results:

R2 Match #17: (2) The Godfather def. (66) Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark by 47 votes to 22
    R2 Match #18: (31) The Maltese Falcon def. (34) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs by 43 - 17
    R2 Match #19: (15) 2001: A Space Odyssey def. (50) LotR: The Fellowship of the Ring by 50 - 19
    R2 Match #20: (18) The General def. (82) Sunrise by 27 - 21
    R2 Match #21: (7) Lawrence of Arabia def. (58) The Gold Rush by 38 - 17
    R2 Match #22: (39) Dr. Strangelove def. (26) Mr. Smith Goes to Washington by 35 - 22
    R2 Match #23: (55) North by Northwest def. (10) The Wizard of Oz by 41 - 18
    R2 Match #24: (87) 12 Angry Men def. (23) The Grapes of Wrath by 47 - 14
    R2 Match #25: (3) Casablanca def. (67) Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? by 41 - 12
    R2 Match #26: (94) Pulp Fiction def. (30) Apocalypse Now by 39 - 29
    R2 Match #27: (14) Psycho def. (78) Modern Times by 44 - 19
    R2 Match #28: (19) On the Waterfront def. (46) It Happened One Night by 28 - 18
    R2 Match #29: (70) A Clockwork Orange def. (6) Gone With the Wind by 49 - 13
    R2 Match #30: (38) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre def. (27) High Noon by 33 - 16
    R2 Match #31: (11) City Lights def. (75) In the Heat of the Night by 33 - 12
    R2 Match #32: (22) Some Like it Hot def. (86) Platoon by 37 - 18
  19.  permalink
    Except General vs Sunrise match, all matches were one sided contest which is surprising.

Hope the 3rd round matches are closer ones. It has the potential to provide thrilling contests so lets see what happens.. Lot of tougher choice here also for me :(

R3 Match #1: (1) Citizen Kane vs. (32) The Godfather II
    R3 Match #2: (16) Sunset Boulevard vs. (48) Rear Window
    R3 Match #6: (52) Taxi Driver vs. (20) It's a Wonderful Life
    R3 Match #8: (53) The Deer Hunter vs. (21) Chinatown
    R3 Match #10: (15) 2001: A Space Odyssey vs. (18) The General
    R3 Match #11: (7) Lawrence of Arabia vs. (39) Dr. Strangelove
    R3 Match #12: (55) North by Northwest vs. (87) 12 Angry Men
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    @RDPL
    I'm kind of glad The General succeeded. I think it's the best silent comedy ever made (before City Lights and Girl Shy) and deserves to be recognized as such. I also don't think it's that far behind Sunrise from a technical Point of View. Keaton pulled of some amazing stunts like the explosion of the bridge.
    For Grapes of Wrath vs. 12 Angry Men i agree with you. While both are very good movies with a lot of social criticism, but i preferred Grapes. It's might not having the tension of 12 Angry Men, but it made me think for a long while after watching it and is still among my all time favorites.
  20.  permalink
    @Tommy_Leazaq
    really great idea here!
    some tough decisions^^
    but a lot of fun! Thanks!

Greetings
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011
    I agree, great idea Tommy!
    What the community needs is definitely more fun in here, so it's always good when people get active.
    Personally I'm a bit sad that Modern Times lost to Psycho, but it's long ago that I have seen these movies (Modern Times I watched in school that time and enjoyed it much more than Psycho).
    I also think Modern Times has a much more meaningful message compared to Psycho, but Psycho is of course like the #1 Thriller ever and so famous for it's shower scene alone.
    At the moment I still would pick Modern Times any day, but probably I will have to re-watch both movies again...since views on movies also can change the older you get.
  21.  permalink
    Thanks guys..

And reg Modern Times vs Psycho, I went with Psycho. Though I think Modern Times is overall well packaged film, the influence Psycho has made on the film industry is immense.
  22.  permalink
    ********* LATEST UPDATE (9/8 Thu 6:20 PM GMT) **********

Poll for the FOURTH ROUND matches is open now. Refer the original post for the fixtures

Please visit here to vote for the 4th round matches: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NBM5PR5

This will remain open until at least 4 PM GMT on Sep 11 Sunday.

THIRD ROUND results:

R3 Match #1: (1) Citizen Kane def. (32) The Godfather II by 39 votes to 34
    R3 Match #2: (48) Rear Window def. (16) Sunset Boulevard by 47 - 23
    R3 Match #3: (72) The Shawshank Redemption def. (25) To Kill a Mocking Bird by 43 - 29
    R3 Match #4: (9) Vertigo def. (24) E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial by 56 - 14
    R3 Match #5: (4) Raging Bull def. (29) Double Indemnity by 36 - 28
    R3 Match #6: (52) Taxi Driver def. (20) It's a Wonderful Life by 42 - 30
    R3 Match #7: (92) Goodfellas def. (5) Singin' in the Rain by 40 - 28
    R3 Match #8: (53) The Deer Hunter def. (21) Chinatown by 32 - 31
    R3 Match #9: (2) The Godfather def. (31) The Maltese Falcon by 43 - 27
    R3 Match #10: (15) 2001: A Space Odyssey def. (18) The General by 48 - 16
    R3 Match #11: (39) Dr. Strangelove def. (7) Lawrence of Arabia by 38 - 29
    R3 Match #12: (87) 12 Angry Men def. (55) North by Northwest by 43 - 30
    R3 Match #13: (94) Pulp Fiction def. (3) Casablanca by 39 - 35
    R3 Match #14: (14) Psycho def. (19) On the Waterfront by 43 - 17
    R3 Match #15: (70) A Clockwork Orange def. (38) The Treasure of the Sierra Madre by 44 - 22
    R3 Match #16: (22) Some Like it Hot def. (11) City Lights by 37 - 29
  23.  permalink
    Quite a surprising results out there:

Kane vs GF II: A close contest as expected and good to see the top seed won.
    Rear Window vs Sunset Blvd: Sad to see the Wilder's classic go out but against Hitchcock's classic. So no worries
    Shawshank vs Mocking Bird: I guess Shawshank is hell bent on thrashing everyone and justify its #1 spot in IMDb :)
    Vertigo vs ET: There goes the last Spielberg. And this is the biggest victory in the round but Vertigo have all the reasons to worry as it is opponent in the next round is the Shawshank :P
    Deer Hunter vs Chinatown: Fourth match of the tournament to have one vote difference. Actually it was tied with 31 apiece when I tried to close the round couple of hours ago. So had to wait for one more vote and Chinatown got unlucky in the end
    12 Angry vs NbNW: First Hitchcock to get eliminated.
    Pulp Fiction v Casablanca : :O The lowest seeded movie alive still. And the top most seeded movie to go out yet.
    Some like it Hot vs Cit yLights: OMG...!! I am sure yesterday CL was leading by 10 votes are so.. .. OTOH I am kind of happy that atleast one Wilder movie makes it to the next round

And Two of my favorite classics go out against two Scorsese classics. And Scorsese maintains his 100% record in this tourney among the directors who had at least 3 movies. But unfortunately that record has to go in the next round :(
  24.  permalink
    It's too hard now!! Really hard to chose...
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011
    Taxi Driver vs. Raging Bull will be a worthy fight... I am curious to see what will happen with strangelove vs. 12 angry men, both totally different, yet both epic.
    • CommentAuthoreedeed
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011
    Finally some choices where I have actually seen both movies. Think I need to work on my Classics ;-).
  25.  permalink
    I am going out of town Sunday, So I'll be closing this poll on Saturday evening 4PM GMT.
    So if you have not voted yet, please hurry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011
    I never got it what should be so special with The Shawshank Redemption. It's a good movie but defeating To Kill Mockingbird? You must be kidding.
  26.  permalink
    ********* LATEST UPDATE (9/10 Sat 6:50 PM GMT) **********

Poll for the QUARTER FINAL matches has been opened.

Please visit here to vote for the Quarter final matches: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/6SJQLJ3

This will be remained open until 9/12 Mon 5 PM GMT at least.

4th Round Results:

R4 Match #1: (1) Citizen Kane def. (48) Rear Window by 48 - 43
    R4 Match #2: (9) Vertigo def. (72) The Shawshank Redemption by 52 - 41
    R4 Match #3: (52) Taxi Driver def. (4) Raging Bull by 52 - 32
    R4 Match #4: (92) Goodfellas def. (53) The Deer Hunter by 47 - 30
    R4 Match #5: (15) 2001: A Space Odyssey def. (2) The Godfather by 60 - 33
    R4 Match #6: (87) 12 Angry Men def. (39) Dr. Strangelove by 54 - 36
    R4 Match #7: (14) Psycho def. (94) Pulp Fiction by 51 - 44
    R4 Match #8: (70) A Clockwork Orange def. (22) Some Like it Hot by 53 - 35
  27.  permalink
    Review of the 4th round results:
    --------------------------------------

Kane def Rear Window : The closest match of the round. And Kane is the only movie from top 8 to move into final 8. Truly justifying its top seeding

Taxi Driver def Raging Bull: This one was always difficult. I guess it is tough luck for Raging Bull to face such a tough opponent before quarters.\

Goodfelllas def Deer Hunter: Yet another clash of de Niro's. And it is amazing to see a 90+ seeded team made into final 8

2001 def Godfather: Happy to see both the godfathers were eliminated before quarters. I seriously feel both GFs are overrated.2001 was a superior film anyway.

Psycho def Pulp Fiction: Psycho made two consecutive comebacks in two matches. Here it was trailing by 7+ votes at one stage to win by 7 votes and put an end to the dream run of Pulp. I am actually kind of surprised to see Pulp made thus far. It means now Goodfellas is officially the lowest seeded team still alive.

Rest of the matches panned out as expected.
  28.  permalink
    @fungus: IMO, Shawshank has a universal appeal whereas TKaMB was out-and-out American movie. SR will always be non movie-buff's one of the fav movies as it deals with hope and inspiration. Anyway, doesnt matter now as Shawshank is shown boot by Hichcock. :)
  29.  permalink
    Now coming to Quarter final matches:

Kane vs Vertigo: Welle's masterpiece vs Hitch's.. Quite difficult to choose seriously. Both are equal in almost every dept and IMO, Kane has the edge in the acting dept.

Taxi v Goodfellas: Scorsese vs Scosese.. Damn.. This is more difficult than previous one. AND IMO Scorsese movies always get sidelined when comes to the top list. So I seriously wish one from this match wins this tournament

2001 vs 12 Angry Men: Two xtreme movies. One movie goes back 20000 years to future . One takes place in a single room. One has only 20 minutes of dialouge out of 120+ runtime. Other has dialouges for the entire movie. Again difficult.

Psycho vs Clockwork : Psychopath vs. Sociopath.. Should be interesting. :)
  30.  permalink
    I'm not a huge fan of "To Kill a Mocking Bird" I mean I gave it a 7/10, it's obviously a nice movie but I didn't get this "classic" feeling.
    It left out many things that were in the novel. I think it's a story better to read than to watch...

PS: my opinion is the same about "The Grapes of Wrath"
    • CommentAuthorcoolathlon
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011
    Nice idea.
    • CommentAuthorzippe
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011 edited
    hi tommy !
    the idea is good, but I don't understand the basic ,a film is a film, the judge on another idea, it's really very funny, even pointless, or I'm wrong?:o)
  31.  permalink
    @zippie

I dont exactly know what you mean, but if you meant how can we compare two different movies, well, you can judge them by common factors like how much you enjoyed, did those movies reach what they intend to reach or something like that. Those thing would be common for every movie. You get my point?
  32.  permalink
    ********* LATEST UPDATE (9/13 Tue 3:50 PM GMT) **********

Poll for the SEMI FINAL matches is open

Please visit here to vote for the Quarter final matches: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/D6LPLFB

This poll will remain opened at least until Thursday 9/15 4PM GMT

Quarter Finals Results:

QF Match #1: (9) Vertigo def. (1) Citizen Kane by 47 - 42
    QF Match #2: (52) Taxi Driver def. (92) Goodfellas by 54 - 38
    QF Match #3: (87) 12 Angry Men def. (15) 2001: A Space Odyssey by 49 - 46
    QF Match #4: (14) Psycho def. (70) A Clockwork Orange by 50 - 47