Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    No problem @theoffice911.
    Just a suggestion to get the discussion running again and to get the brains thinking...

Greets!
  2.  permalink
    Yea we definitely need to get the discussion running, as I haven't seen much change in the top20 solvers this week...
  3.  permalink
    Had no idea about this google thingy. Have now tried it and damn it's powerful, you can't find all movies but you can find a lot of them. Well i play first and foremost for the fun of it and this is not my idea of fun copy and paste and boom you got the solution. Very boring, hope we can find a solution to this, especially when it comes to vault contests where the can be AU:s handed to someone who used this.
  4.  permalink
    "Had no idea about this google thingy. Have now tried it and damn it's powerful"

Same here.. I was quite baffeled how prople regularly hitting 90% nowadays. I though may be the uploading quality and quantity reduced. But never thought anyone actually using these methods to reach the top spot.. Its very sad..!! :(
  5.  permalink
    Sooooo any news ?
    Is it cheating or not ? Can we technically do something about it ?
    Except pioa losing 20% of solves, absolutely nothing has changed...
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012
    i think asmodai said the staff is going to discuss the topic in their next meeting.
    don't know when that is though
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012
    I haven't played for the HoF since this topic started and I'll probably pick it up without google images, until there's been any decision from the staff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012 edited
    have you guys noticed a change in your personal stats recently?
    i lost like 30 - 35 places although i still got around 400 shots solved (same as before).

either there's a whole lot more shots being posted or a lot of people became aware of GI through this thread and picked it up as a habit.
    and i think more postings than before would have changed my personal solve percentage dramatically, which it didn't.
    therefore, i think we might have actually made it worse with this thread.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2012
    Well, i gave my opinion about that, now i need the green light of the others crew members to code something against this feature.
    • CommentAuthorPzy
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012
    @kinoute
    "Fireball new memorabilias have been "ordered" a few weeks ago and we're waiting Martin to design them. There will be an award for people who are contributing a lot (trailers, character/title/replacement shots etc), one for SOTDs and new FF & uploads levels "

Hai there,
    I know that's not really the topic, but maybe two or three weeks ago I offered free help for that. I wanted to clarify that in confidence, but I didn't get any response in the WTM chat.
    I don't know how Martins designer skills are, but maybe you saw this shot: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/194913 in the Vault. It's not like a memorabilia but it should show you my skill as digital media designer (and it's not even finished).

Anyway I don't want to steal someones hobby here, but I guess two guys are faster than one. :)
    I assume that you will read this, so I would be glad if we could clarify how we proceed (or not).
  6.  permalink
    I think we are going into the way of iCheckMovies, where you gotto play for yourselves and your own satisfaction with never minding the potential cheats.. We can atleast compare ourselves among the genuine people.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012
    Hey Pzy,
    The chat or the forum is not really the best way to contact the staff, nor are the mods the ones who should make this decision. Could you maybe send an email to quiz@whatthemovie.com, describing where you want to help and what experiences you have in this? Then the right people can discuss this with you and maybe get you in touch with our resident designer.
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    so now it's time to congratulate, looks like the GI problem could be fixed :)

I said I will be the first to applaud & cheer when something happens...so I want to do it now!

Great work staff ! and especially great job kinoute I guess ;) *applause applause*

Hope that's a step in the right direction and hopefully with many interesting vaults to come again. :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    ...interesting that you noticed it first, must have been using GI a lot huh? ;)
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    only on your shots asmo, to boost them a bit ;)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Sorry, you will need better than that to bribe me to push your shots ;)
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012 edited
  7.  permalink
    Hooo thanks for this new feature !!! Great job, I would never see anything if Fireball didn't... lie... :)
    And it has be done very fast since the first posts on this topic !
    I took a nice shot of the HoF this morning, let's see what happened for the next month ! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Nice work, kinoute!
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    Indeed, Kinoute, nice work. On the other hand: print screen, crop, upload, still gets the job done in 10 seconds per shot. Just solved 209335 and 209336 that way. ;-)
    The problem is more fundamental.
  8.  permalink
    10 seconds instead of 1 second, much time for a usual user to steal you the first solve. To bad i gone online some seconds too late^^ And omg... 10 seconds for 1 shot... 100 shots a day... very sick who makes this... i hope the guys do it further will lose the fun in some weeks ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2012 edited
    looks like there's no special right click menu for snapshots any more.
    so, thanks to kinoute, who must have been coding this feature.

i guess this means that the staff decided that GI is not okay ?
    if that is the case i think there should be an announcement (over that newspaper thingy) that the WTM administration officially decided that GI is cheating.

a general thought:
    i don't get how some people can be proud of being a cheater.

@LePaposaure
    i'm very curious to see what your screenshots will show after a while.
    great idea!
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    @Winterwolf Let's hope so. If 10 seconds is more or less accurate and the daily amount of shots is around 100, it would cost something like 8 hours a month to check every shot. Poor devils. :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTao
    I kinda feared it'd be fixed this way, as I use WTM for awesome imagery collection purposes as much as (honest) quizzing.
    But I'll manage.
    It had to be done. Good call. Fuck the cheaters.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    Sorry i had to, but this is just the beginning guys, more protections are coming with a random rotating system which is gonna be a nightmare for players who try to still use GI.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    @Tao if you want to download shots for your own purpose, go to the movies page.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    @CHILI new rules are coming and there will be an announcement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    awesome!
    thanks to the whole staff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012
    Good work kinoute.
    I hope the new structure is not the cause of the multiple "over capacity" periods.
    I prefer WTM with google image than this f%ยต%" crocodile without GI...
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2012
    Nope this is not related, the site keeps crashing for unknown reasons and we are investigating but the new code is not the problem, we don't have any error reported about it.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2012
    New rules added for GI/Tineye/Greasemonkey : http://whatthemovie.com/page/help#halloffame
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    "As we want this HoF to actually mean something, any cheating or unfair help is prohibited. Sharing hints and solutions or using scripts and/or automated search engines (such as TinEye or Google Images) is strictly prohibited."

What about account sharing...is this still allowed?

Since it's also a way of sharing solutions between people.

When it's done within a family I know it can't be really prevented, but I mean more like letting another WTM friend or family member who lives somewhere else log-in into your account and let him or her solve shots for you for example in a vault or playing together in the FF for some time... (which could be proven by different ip's)

Not that I would do such a thing, but I just ask out of interest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @Fireball

Real WTMers watch 4 movies a day, have no friends, no family and no social life. And don't want to.
    They just want to be at the top of the HoF.
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012
    wow..didnt know this..one more reason not to come back..just try it on the last NS shot and it worked..damn..
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2012
    @efji
    That's true of course, efji ! ^^ :)
  9.  permalink
    Thanks Kinoute..!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2012 edited
    @efji
    Damn ! With your definition, I'm not a real WTMer anymore !

@Fireball
    Shared accounts and several ip's are two different things for me.

I play WTM at home, at work, at friends house... Each time, several ip's. You can't know if someone is sharing his account with another player or if he's playing the game from all around the world. Perhaps you can use ip's identification to find someone using different accounts to vote down on NS or Vault, but it's difficult for other types of cheat.

I often share my account with my girlfriend, who has no account anymore (she deleted its own one, she was too addicted !) but still plays on mine, most of the time on the archive shots. We use the bookmarks so that we could talk about all the Archive's shots she solves. That's a very nice way to discover new movies, it's not changing the HoF score (even if we solve some few FF shots together sometimes...), and it's still in the game's spirit for me.

I think it's more a matter of respect of the main rules, of the competition and the spirit of the game, than a question of pure shared accounts or ip's. For me, it's important to find the right balance between cheaters prevention (as Kinoute new featuring) and social exceptions.
    And I guess moderators and creators don't want to become full-time WTcops !
  10.  permalink
    @LePaposaure:
    Any change in the HoF ? Doesn't seem like it !
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012
    Too soon
  11.  permalink
    Pioa went from 1st to out of the top20 in a week...!
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2012 edited
    thats different, he decided by himself to stop using GI. You really thought people who use that every time would stop with my little code ? No chance..

Anyway if its not GI, its sharing solutions by email/skype/irc/whatever so the HoF won't change a lot, no
  12.  permalink
    For the moment, no big changes in HoF, as kinoute said.
    Just few places higher for some of us, and few % less for almost everyone, but it could be just a consequence of a whole week of tough shots in FF.
    We will really see a difference in 3 weeks now.

But the fact that it's no more so easy to obtain a GI answer (thanks again, kinoute), and that we could discuss about it in this forum are already two good steps to a global change, as pioa's decision, for example.
    • CommentAuthorzippe
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2012
    • CommentAuthorzippe
    hum ! hum !
    • CommentAuthorzippe
    verify the meter !;o)
    • CommentAuthorzippe
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2012
    You sure you got the right topic, zippe...?
    • CommentAuthorzippe
    @Asmodai
    I find the topic very frustrating, I put a little atmosphere.
    but you can if you want ,deleted ! :)
  13.  permalink
    @zippe
    Why is this topic "very frustrating" for you ?
    • CommentAuthorzippe
    because I'm in the top 20, that's why!!!! :p