Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    heyya, I was just wondering which program you guys are using to take Blu-Ray snapshots. I can't seem to get my VLC to play Blu-Rays.

So far I've been using ArchSoft TotalMedia Theatre 6 to watch them. But I can't take any snapshots with it :(
    there seems to be an option but its greyed out and I don't know how to turn it on.

What are you guys using? any good alternatives?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2015
    I'm using VLC, but it took some work.. See here: http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/
  2.  permalink
    I've tried that, but I just cant seem to get it to work :/

any alternatives?
  3.  permalink
    lel... apparently none of the commercial bluray player software can take screenshots. Looks like the BDA prohibits the user from taking a snapshot of the movie content.

(Mod Edit: last sentence deleted)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2015
    Some workaround is to open the movie's M2TS file (always in the BDMV/STREAM folder and usually the largest file) instead of launching the disc.
    Sometimes the movie is sliced in many M2TS file. You can use the BDInfo software to find out which playlist is actually the movie (based on duration) and which M2TS files it's composed of.
    • CommentAuthorErrix
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015
    I use VLC, no problem... if you know how to do it ;)

but sometimes it's hard to get the right frame, I'm curious to know if other users use a program that allow to extract every single frame and then decide for the better looking
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2015
    When I've reached the right moment, I pause playback and I just use the E key to go frame-by-frame.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015
    Same for me.
    • CommentAuthorErrix
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2015
    oh very helpful, thanks
    • CommentAuthorSolhanne
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2015
    I use classic mplayer (dos-based)

I launch the film with the following specifics
    mplayer -nosound -vf screenshot -fps 24 -vid 4113 d:\bdmv\stream\xxxxx.m2ts

where xxxxx is the number of the m2ts file I want to launch.

It was a little tricky to get my computer setup to be allowed to use mplayer (as I remember, some of windows security settings has to be disabled), but I've been using it for a long time now, so I've used to it. The only thing that really annoy me is that when I stop the movie to take a shot, mplayer does not take the frame it has been stopped at, but the next frame.