Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorSolhanne
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2017
    @naut @tliff

Could one of you please explain the SotD and SotM algorithms to me, since I'm very interested in how it's calculated.
    The thing that caused me to ask this question is the SotM for June.
    The shot that won from MisterZob has a rating of 7,89 with 5 favorites - #418143
    My shot (which I expected to win) has a rating of 8,14 with 8 favorites - #417482

MisterZob has posted this explaination:
    "I don't know the SotM formula, just as I don't know the SotD formula. But in both cases, don't trust the displayed overall rating too much. Keep in mind the rating you see takes into account who solved the shot (their vote weigh more). And while this makes sense regarding the shot's acceptation to the quiz, it might not have been deemed relevant for SotD and/or SotM selection. Which means the actual overall ratings taken into account for SotD and/or SotM might be different than those you can see. Your shot was solved many times (compared to mine), which probably has boosted its visible overall rating.
    As for the favs, I've no idea how (if?) they're taken into account for SotM."
    on the comments page.

Could you please explain, since I'm at a loss.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2017
    Zob is right, some factors are used for the shot's acceptation to the quiz and some aren't for SotD & SotM. Some others come along too. The displayed rating is different than the calculated one to select both winners. SotY is different, only the (new) ratings count and nothing else.

I understand the frustration but WTM should have never transformed into a beauty contest. It's a quiz. SotD/M/Y should be seen as a bonus, not a goal.

I will personally not disclosure the formula. Already too much abuse, playing with the limits + paranoia. If we disclose it, people will adapt & it will get worse
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017 edited
    @kinoute interesting and peculiar: a game with hidden rules :) I don't think it is a good thing, encouraging the paranoia between players.

All the problems and the questions come from the favs and how they are taken into account at the various stages of the game. I have a proposition about that, observing that the number of players have dramaticly decreased compared to the golden age, 4 or 5 years ago, and the remaining players are less prone to exchanges on the site, including shouts and favs. While old shots could have more than 10 favs (even without boobs, 20 with boobs), it happens now frequently that a SoTD has no favs. Thus, a single fav have now a great importance for the SoTD, while it still counts for nothing in accessing the FF.

Why don't you simply suppress the favs in the computation of the SoTD and SoTM. It would be more clear for users. SoTD is simply the shot with the best ranking of this day. Or alternatively, if you still want to count the favs, include them into the formula, so that any way the SotD is the shot with the best displayed ranking.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2017
    The quiz is the game, SotD isn't. If you think the opposite, then you are on the wrong website. People should upload shots without the SotD/M/Y in mind, just like 90% of directors release a movie without the Palme d'Or in mind. And just like the juries in Cannes, we don't have to tell publicly why and how we select the winners :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017
    Those algorithms are kept secret for several reasons.
    The first of them is: We all know what happens when voters can guess an election outcome. If it doesn't go their way, they try and change it, not caring anymore about what their votes should mean, only thinking of the outcome they want.
    Another is: If it was disclosed, it would be discussed every other week by users arguing "it shouldn't be that way, it should take more/less [something] into account, ...".

As for the overall rating displayed below the shot, keep in mind it's a weighted arithmetic mean, which is intended only for the shot's acceptation from NS to FF. That number is (almost) meaningless for SotD/M selection. What's relevant is each rating granted by the different voters. Those ratings are used one way for FF selection (that's the visible overall rating) and some other ways for SotD and SotM selections (not visible).
    • CommentAuthorgreyhound
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017
    Thanks for clarifying.

Sometimes, I was disappointed a bit, too - OTOH, I had some unexpected SotDs. It all balances out in the end, I guess! ;-)

I'm sure every serious director is hoping for an Oscar (otherwise, he'd be only in it for the money ;-)).

For me, it's great fun to chose decent shots (in my own mind, that is ;-)) and see what others think of them.
    I like it when they get some very high and some very low ratings - the down side is that those don't always make it to FF... but that's life.
    And it helps solving shots from movies oneself has scanned for shots again after having watched them maybe a long time ago!

As you said: Rewards are a bonus. I don't do that for SotDs or higher (but certainly don't mind them ;-)), but I'm happy for every shot that makes it to FF - good ratings and favs welcome!