Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDolor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018
    How about hiding the snapshot poster username for the New Submissions? I'm sure there are some fanboys/-girls around who upvote their friends snapshots and downvotes other users. Don't know if this has been asked already in the forums...

Comments, opinions?
    • CommentAuthorlezard
    I agree we could try and it might help. But there are also other problems. What can we do about people systematically downvoting b/w shots, or any shot that looks a bit too old? (and I should know!)
    Personally I don't like digitally produced shots much, I must admit, but I never give a 1 or 2. Others fav any "nude" shot, while others downvote them everytime. I guess we simply have to hope everyone is fair. Let's pretend all this is balanced, in the end, and let's be naive!
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018 edited
    It was already tested 5 years ago and failed to please: https://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=992

Basically, it kills the social aspect of the website a little more. Ratings, especially by Scruffy, are way more controlled now, especially for SotD/M/Y. Same for acceptation every 50 min. Scruffy uses more infos than only the ratings and the solves to decide what to do since a few weeks. Again & again, stop trying to deduce why it was approved or picked as a SotD instead of your shot. Scruffy knows what he's doing don't worry. If you want to upload a shot and fail to do it, just use your Awesome Uploads, top uploaders have dozens !
    • CommentAuthorDolor
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2018 edited
    "Again & again, stop trying to deduce why it was approved or picked as a SotD instead of your shot"

Erm, I'm not concerned about my shots. I know that some are decent and some bad, In Drago's words: If it dies (in NS), it dies. What I'm concerned about, is some fanboys upvoting a dark blackandwhite shot with a 3-pixel face in it somewhere, just because it is posted by a site legend or a friend while a nice, detailed snapshot of something modern is downvoted to hell because it was posted by "some asshole" or a neverheard user. Or the otherway around.

"It was tested 5 years ago" Ok. I see in the first post it was implemented in NS _and_ FF. I don't see why usernames should be hidden in FF also, snapshots are there already and the voting has ended...
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    The username was hidden until the SotD was chosen.
    • CommentAuthorlezard
    @Dolor
    I find your comments interesting and it casts a new light on the way we all appreciate shots differently. Though I understand your point, I disagree with some of it. For instance, the "number of pixels" doesen't enter into my liking a shot or not (if it's not totally blurred, of course). For me HD is not a top criterion. To put it simply: bullshit in HD is still bullshit (only clearer), an excellent shot even with a lower quality is still an excellent shot. The fact that a film is "modern" (you mean new?) or "old" (I hate the notion of" old movies", nobody speaks about old painting, old music) is irrelevent. It's good or bad. Period. Though as I previously mentioned, it takes a bit more patience to post b/w shots; because they clearly tend to be downvoted. Look at the number of b/w shots in the last 4 or 5 months and compare with any previous years.
    What we need now is more different opinions on this matter.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2018
    Here is the video I made back in the old days about the change:

https://youtu.be/H5uguicgxoE
    • CommentAuthorlezard
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2018
    Thinking about the "old days", I decided to go and check. I chose a day of 2011 at random (eyes closed).
    Result: -out of 47 shots, only 5 didn't have a fav.
    -no shot had a rating below 7.2
    -5 of the shots had at least 10 favs (up to 15!!)
    -there was no visible difference of rating between b/w and color shots.
    -b/w shots represented about 18% of the shots.
    My conclusion may not be valid but here it is anyway:
    It's up to us (me included) to change this, especially by being more enthusiastic and less blasé. We might tend to be spoilt children who can't appreciate the simple pleasure of cinema. Let's fav again! Let's rate shots decently. Everybody will benefit by it.