Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    This site is all about movies so I thought why not discuss the movies??
    most of the discussions are about the stills or Mr big lebowski ;).
    But I think we should use the knowledge of all te active users about foreign or rather unknown movies that everybody has to watch (according to them (and why!)). I see so many great stills of which I don't know the movie and I think this doesnt affect whatthemovie.

For instance I love to watch japanese movies but I don't come ferther than Akira (manga) or Kurosawa's movies. But I would like to see great (action) movies of the last few years.
    Also my list of non hollywood movies is getting short so I would like to have some input (good german, russian, italian movies?).

To make a beginning, everybody has to whatch Ex Drummer! (belgium movie) everybody that likes trainspotting has to see this one!

Grtz Attic
  2.  permalink
    I have this http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282864/ documentary as a favourite for many years. It's about a group of Palestinian and Israeli children that get to know eachother. It also shows political issues, but the main thing is that children... well, just want to be children and play together, reardless of background and political shit.
    It's a really touching documentary that's well worth seeing.
    • CommentAuthorTheRizz
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2009 edited
    My suggestions, part 1: Foreign Movies to Watch:

You mentioned Akira, but I've never really found that to be all that great of a movie ... for Japanese animation, I'd suggest the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex TV series (the TV series is better than the movie, although Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence has animation that is just plain gorgeous), FLCL (crazy/bizarre show, but I loved it), and anything by Miyazaki (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.).

For live-action, Run, Lola, Run is an excellent German movie.

If you like horror, I'd actually suggest the US "The Ring" over the Japanese "Ringu", but the Japanese "Ring 0: Birthday" was a good watch (but you need to watch Ringu to understand it, due to the differences between the US and Japanese versions). The Korean "A Tale of Two Sisters" is beautifully spooky, and quite worthwhile.

Two of the best foreign movies I've seen lately are Night Watch and its sequel Day Watch (Russian movies based on the books of the same names).

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to watch many foreign movies lately (kids keep me from being able to pay attention to the subtitles), but ones I'm looking forward to when I have time are Sukiyaki Western Django (beautiful-looking remake of The Good, The bad, and the Ugly), Audition (horror/suspense), and Wild Zero (Rock-'n-Roll Zombies! 'nuff said!).
    • CommentAuthorDillonSOB
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2009
    Aaaaw thank you so much for that "Promises" link, DiedEnFreek!! I saw that film on television a few years ago but couldn't keep the name, been looking for it for ages... Yeah, it's moving and significant and all the more relevant these days...

@TheRizz: Audition will inflict physical pain on you and haunt you in your sleep. It looks and feels like all your favorite thrillers packed together... Enjoy;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2009 edited
    @ DieEnFreek & DillonSOB,

YouTube:
    Promises (2004) Update - Part 1 of 2:

Promises (2004) Update - Part 2 of 2: