Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2010
    Awesome movie. Go and see it!
    • CommentAuthorTalie
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    I just finished Miss Potter. Amazing movie. So warm, magical, beautiful. Definitely I will watch it again. 8/10
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010
    inception tonight

I can't wait :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010
    I watched The Killing (1956) in cinema yesterday. Absolutely awesome film noir. Kubrick already was a genius back then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010 edited
    Inception.
    If you have not seen the movie, stop reading this comment and go to your theater !

If you have already seen it, just a word to say that the screenplay is a complex brain-labyrinth, I can't understand how a single writer is able do something like that. I find amazing how the plot remains easy to understand, even if the story is very rich, the actions complex, and the characters quite well detailed.
    I saw many little things that made me have a final feeling that it's not the movie of the decade, but I have also to recognize that I made a "Whoooaaaouuu", as all the audience, after the last picture of this incredible movie.

And it's 9/10 WTMovable ! (= lot's of shots from it soon !) :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    I was again in cinema today. I watched Micmacs à tire-larigot. It's a shame we had to wait almost a year until it played in Switzerland. Very funny and original movie, as is every other film by Jeunet. I had a very good time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    I saw Splice, It was better than I thought, I'd give it 63/100. Brody and Polley were good in their roles and the creature looked incredible, the movie was not very scary, but it was interesting apart from last 10 minutes and cliche ending:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010
    I saw Crank, Crank 2 and Transporter 2.
    I think I'm dying:D
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010 edited
    Tonight was survival night ^^
    The Crazies (the remake) - good atmosphere from time to time but nothing really new
    The road - my heart is crying.... seriously... Fuck! The book of Eli is a piece of crap next to this. Loved it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2010
    Death Race, I was entertained that felt like a real movie as opposed to Crank:D 62/100
    • CommentAuthorTalie
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010
    Hwal - Bow. Nice, although something was missing for me. Definitely I prefer Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring ) - spoke more to me.
    • CommentAuthoroldzia999
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2010
    Clash of the Titans, the new one. Very average. I was gonna write a review, but sati pretty much summed up all my thoughts in hers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKeyser_Soze
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2010 edited
    I watched Kick-Ass...and I must say I liked the soundtrack, other then that it was bad. Up to around 20 min or so it was kinda promising but it all went down hill with appearing of Hit girl or whatever...and Mark Strong, why oh why?? Don't be fooled by the excellent rating on imdb, that I can't understand, and skip this movie.That's what I recommend, but then again it's just me, you can judge for yourself
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010
    omg thanks Keyser, finally somoene who doesn't say this is a great movie, it sucked!!!
    I saw The Cake Eaters I'd rate it 49/100 the movie is only watchable because of Kristen Stewart mindblowing performance as terminally ill girl, she is amazing, I can't imagine how people can call her bad actress.
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    just watched...

it was quite expensive, but damn, what a movie. i think it's the best one i've seen so far this year.
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    Kick ass - completely unnecessary movie...Inception, can't wait :)))) @Fabster: Such a high price for students, but the main thing is that it is worth :)
  1.  permalink
    7€50 is exepensive? I pay 9€ for a movie !!
    But I disagree with sati, lovely and Keyser : I found Kick-Ass to be an awesome comedy. Matthew Vaughn is a great director (Stardust,Layer Cake) the score was brilliant, the writing was original and come on Hitgirl was amazing ! Believe me we'll hear more from Chloe Moretz :-)
    Anyway even though it probably wasn't "IMDb Top250" material it still was an awesome action/comedy !

PS: Who the hell says Kristen Stewart is a bad actress??
  2.  permalink
    I agree, Stradust was great, Layer Cake I didn't see but it's on my list. Regarding Kick-Ass, well it seems you either like it or not, I didn't. It obviously needs an acquired taste...
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2010 edited
    Finally saw
    Where the wild things are - nice and cute. Maybe I expected a tinny bit more in terms of story but I enjoyed it. But that feeling of Deja Vu all along was anowing, but it is not the movie's fault (more WTM's fault ;)
    Micmacs à tire-larigot - yeah nice to see Jeunet back to the fun comedies. Enjoyed it a lot. Lots of references to past cinema and even Tex Avery (at least it made me think about tex avery a few times), I normally dont like slapstick comedies too much but when Jeunet does it, it is always a pure enjoyment, all these little details, the dialogues... really lots of fun
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    @theoffice911 - just go to imdb, there is so much hatred towardsStewart there it's saddening.
    And when I was watching Kick-Ass I saw where I was supposed to laugh, but the jokes were so unfunny I didn't. About Moretz, I feel bad for her, her parents letting her do that with all the violence and swearing, come one she is what 11? another poor girl used by her family, just as Fanning.
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    @theoffice: I agree, I looooooooooooooove Stardust so much, it's a great fairy tale, but this one, sorry, I just don't see anything good in it, except the score. Not my type of humour, I'm more into British. I expected more, must admit. I didn't want to read Sati's review before seeing it, but maybe I should have :)
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    Fabster you're right, it is the best movie of 2010 so far.
    Here is the proof ;) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703977004575393493956088352.html?mod=WSJ_hps_MIDDLEFifthNews

But in my opinion nothing ground breaking. I love when people compare it to scifi classics and immediately boost it to the same level. Nolan is way overrated these days. The Batman movies brought him such a huge followership which now basically allows him to do whatever he wants and people will rave about it.

I discovered Nolan with the Prestige and have since worked my way through his back catalogue.
    Here's my Nolan top 5:
    > The Prestige
    > Memento tied with Insomnia
    > Inception
    > Batman Begins
    > The Dark Knight
  3.  permalink
    Poor Kristen ! Did you watch "The Runaways" Kristen AND Dakota lol and they were both good (especially Kristen who plays Joan Jett !)
  4.  permalink
    My Nolan's grades :
    > Inception (2010) --> 10/10
    > The Dark Knight (2008) --> 10/10
    > The Prestige (2006) --> 10/10
    > Batman Begins (2005) --> 9/10
    > Insomnia (2002) --> 9/10
    > Memento (2000) --> 10/10
    > Following (1998) --> 7/10

Can't really do better than that...

PS: do you guys have an IMDb link with your votes ? Like this : http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=29771973
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    I loved Inception and payed only €5,80 for it... It was definitely worth it.
    Next movie will cost me €6,- though

And I liked Kick-Ass, but it;s very overrated
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    theoffice: I have one, but it's pretty poor for now, so I won't make it visible ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    @theoffice I did, and already reviewed it and gave it 8/10. One of the best movies this year and Dakota and Kristen were amazing.
    I'm gonna see Inception tomorrow, can't wait.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    @naut your top 5 of nolan movie really hurt...
    the prestige his best!? i was quite dissapointed with this one, the plot... just not intresting.
    memento and following are two of my all time favourite movies. why is following not on your list??
    and memento tied with insomnia? memento is a masterpiece and insomnia is just a decent remake (quite unnecessary cause the original was fine)

anyway looking forward to see inception, still have some vouchers for free cinema tickets... :D

@theoffice http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=25701632 not everything is rated really consistent, but its ok. and on my profile is a link with the list of dvds i own...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    actually my top 5 would be and I agree with naut on the Prestige
    1. the prestige
    2. the dark knight
    3. batman begins
    4. memento
    5. insomnia

i loved The Prestige, such a complex movie and really well developed characters, in Memento I didn't feel sympathy for anyone and The Dark Knight is overrated, the ending was a disaster if I see something like ferry fiasco in Inception I'm leaving:D
  5.  permalink
    Btw here is Christopher Nolan's top10 movies :

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    The Black Hole (1979)
    Blade Runner (1982)
    Chinatown (1974)
    The Hitcher (1986)
    Lawrence of Arabia (1962)
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service (1969)
    Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)
    The Man Who Would Be King (1975)
    Topkapi (1964)

How can your favorite James Bond movie be the one with George Lazenby lol
    But we can definitely see his love for "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" in Inception !
  6.  permalink
    My C. Nolan list:
    1. Prestige
    2. Memento
    3. Batman Begins
    4. Dark Knight

Haven't seen Insomnia yet and Inception is on my to see list :)
  7.  permalink
    Yea Go Prestige !
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    Here is my IMDB list. As toffetomas I too certainly have some inconsistencies and maybe I should reconsider some older ratings of mine.
    http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=762314
  8.  permalink
    @fungus and @toffetomas : what's your "scale" ? What does a 6 mean to you? A 7 ? and so on
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    This is my scale I'm using nowadays.

10 I can watch this movie over and over and won't get bored
    9 Absolutely outstanding movie
    8 Excellent movie
    7 Very good movie
    6 good movie
    5 average movie
    4 below average movie
    3 bad movie
    2 very bad movie
    1 My eyes and/or brain will explode if I have to watch it again

It's possible that in the beginning I was too mild and tended to give better rates than I do today. And then there is always the effect, that I have to correct my ratings later on, when I notice the movie made a stronger impression than originally thought or when I forgot about it all too fast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010
    My Life Without Me, beautiful movie, 88/100
  9.  permalink
    @theoffice its easy but a bit strange, something like: a 7 is normal, 8 is good, 9 or higher is really good. 6 or lower is not good.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2010 edited
    @tomas: well, I hope you get well :D
    and following isn’t in there because it was my top5 :)

wow, and this thread it is getting the Nolan washover

PS: but I agree on your rating scheme. Exactly like I do it.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    http://www.moviemeter.nl/user/69848/votes/ is mine, not IMDB but a dutch movie site... it rates from 0,5 to 5
    I only rated 493 movies yet, but it's steadily going up:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    "Inception". I'm angry.
    Here I was hearing that this is mindlowing, amazing, masterpiece. What what what? I saw neither of those things. Nolan screw up even worse than with TDK - the action scenes are so prolonged it was unbearable - I kept praying for that fucking van to hit the water already. There are some good scenes, decent acting and briliant concept, but Chris should be blamed not praised - had someone else handled the script we would get to see something better. And the movie was way too long, the 3rd layer sequences are inexcusible. I'm gonna rate it 89/100 and I'm way too generous probably because of Zimmer's wonderful score and Cotilliard's acting.
  10.  permalink
    =)=)=(=(=
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Yeah, I hate being disappointed.
    But at least they showed previews for "Expendables" (with Jason Statham) and "Due Date" (with RDJ) so I was happy:D
  11.  permalink
    Ouch I just watched "The Black Hole" (1979) as it was on Christopher Nolan's top10 and God it was awful.
    I really can't figure out why he liked it. The only explanation I have is that he was 9yo when the movie went out so maybe he adored it as a child but otherwise I have no idea. It's a bad mix between "Star Wars", "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" and "2001: A Space Odyssey"
    The actors are bad, the scenario is bs, the dialogues are awful and the special effects are embarassing... Star Wars was released 2 years earlier but it feels like it was made 10 years later ! The only good thing was the last 5 minutes which were a bit weird but visually fun !
    I gave it a nice 2/10 lol
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    I watched the last POC lately, couldn't finish it though, it was too boring. 5/10
    If anyone cares, here are my rankings on a truly awesome site called Criticker: http://www.criticker.com/?fl&user=shalev
  12.  permalink
    Singin' in the Rain (8.5/10)
    Into the Wild (8/10)
    La Mala Educación (9/10)
    Oh I wanna talk about La Mala Educación! Sometimes kind of disturbing film but what a plot! I must say I was expecting a different film, it really surprised me. In a positive way of course. ;)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010
    The Limits of Control - not too bad, but coming from Jim Jarmusch, I found it very desapointing. It is however better than Ghost Dog
    The fourth kind - although some of the fake footage are nicelly done and quite scary, overal the way it is presented didn't do it for me, not convincing
  13.  permalink
    Les Diabolique - 9/10
    Nosferatu - 5/10
    The Lives of others - 8/10
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010 edited
    Inception - Cool story/theme, great actors (DiCaprio, Gordon-Levitt, Ellen Page and Marion Cotillard in ONE movie - WTF?! ;) ), a hans zimmer score... for me it was a perfect cinema experience - 10/10

Hard Candy - Great performance by Ellen Page - 7/10

C.R.A.Z.Y. - Wonderful movie - 8/10
  14.  permalink
    "Les Diaboliques" is such an awesome movie! Good job Tommy :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    I finally watched inception. A very good movie but it had quite some flaws. There are plotholes and many small things don't add together. Furthermore, I agree with sati, that the action scenes were way too long. Why does every director today believe he has to shoot movies of 2.5 to 3 hours length? I hate that.
    But all in all as I said a very good movie, I had a lot of fun: 8/10.