Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    I love you!
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    Predator - 8/10
    Gremlins 2 - 6/10
    Easy Rider - 8/10
    The Crazies - 6/10
    The Descent Part 2 - 7/10
    Sl8n8 - 4/10
    Death Note - 7/10
    Death Note 2 - 6/10
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Watched Predators in cinema yesterday, wow that is the most waste of my cinema money since pride and glory:(
    Even South Park movie has better special effects, fire and explosions:(
    Goin to watch the original(s) though:)
  1.  permalink
    I just watched Tarkovsky's Solyaris (1972) ! Absolutely loved it, Tarkovsky is a genius. I definitely need to watch it again because I'm sure I missed a lot.
    My head kinda hurts but that was worth it !!
    9/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2010 edited
    You should watch remake and read the book, both are awesome.
    I saw Ondine, 79/100 very unique, delicate and beautiful movie.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2010 edited
    remake is far less good than the original imo, didn't give me the same feeling, Tarkovsky's is amazing. The remake is decent.

I saw Inception in the cinema yesterday, well what can I say: it is overated, really, I enjoyed it, it is a good movie but it is not the masterpiece everyone think it is. Nolan could have easily cut half hour if not more of totally unecessary scenes. Action scenes are way too long especially the last part in the snow. Story is very good and well executed but not that original, just a dream version of the matrix (also in some action scenes you can find similarities). The young actress seems to only open her mouth to explain us the plot, actually I think that's the only reason her character exists, that's too much, I dont need to have everything served on a plate like this. And I agree with Fungus, too many plot holes. would give it a 8/10 max (7.5 would be more like it)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2010
    @chrisy: Besides Matrix, there were other movies which immediately popped into my mind while watching Inception, namely Avalon and eXistenZ.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    yes it is true Fungus, it is quite a recurrent theme in Sci-fi. But in Inception, the action scenes (when they fight with the gravity), the fact that they are all plugged and all go together in those dreams, chased by bad guys. That they need something to come back to reality (a song, in the matrix: it is a phone)... etc this is all very Matrix like
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    I'm a sucker for good romance stories with sci-fi backgrounds so I liked the remake :D Also it's worth watching for movie's atmosphere alone - amazing cinematography and soundtrack :)
    God, I'm glad someone thought those actions scenes were too long too, I mean in "The Dark Knight" they were the right amount but here it was a torture sometimes. About the plot holes the story is indeed very well executed, so I'm gonna need another viewing to determine which things are plot holes and which are not, but I'm kinda confused about the whole totem thing, SPOILER Cobb took it from his wife and I thought only the person using it was allowed to touch it? so maybe the top wasn't totem?
  2.  permalink
    Watched Tarkovsky's Stalker (1979) and I have trouble understanding what it was about.
    SPOILER ALERT
    So I understand that neither of the characters wanted to enter the Room because they are afraid to discover what their inner desires really are. Like the story of another stalker Porcupine who went into the Room hoping to get his brother back but ended up with a pile of money. He killed himself because he realised his inner desire was money more than saving his brother's life.
    But that's basically the only thing I get from this movie. Men don't know themselves and we are scared of our inner desires. I love the fact that even though apparently lots of people went to the Room, the outside world is still depressing, poor and dirty. That would mean not a single person who entered the room wished the world to be a better place... kinda sad !
    Seems rather light so I guess I missed a lot !
    --> What was the ending with Monkey moving these glasses?
    --> Why was that scene in color while the only other scenes in color were in the Zone?
    --> Were there really traps in the Zone? Were they in the stalker's mind?
    --> What happened during the scene with all the sand and the owl?

Any help would be nice !
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    I saw it about two months and was pretty confused too. I browed the IMDB board a bit, though I don't remember everything.
    What I do remember is someone said that in the book the traps are very real, and the reason they probably didn't show them in the film was lack of budget.
    The ending with the glasses I think wasn't supposed to be very clear or specific, but that's just my opinion.

Overall it was very good (8/10 for me), even if not all is explained. Planning on watching Solaris soon.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Very difficult to make sense of Stalker, saw it quite a long time ago but I think there are tones of interpretation
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    La horde

Nothing new in Zombie land... some entertaining gore scenes but nothing memorable
    6/10
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010
    INCEPTION SPOILER ALERT

---------------------------------------------------------

@Sati

your last comment: "SPOILER Cobb took it from his wife and I thought only the person using it was allowed to touch it? so maybe the top wasn't totem?"

the explaination is: He took her totem after she died and used it as a memory of his wife and his new totem. Because his wife is dead he is the only one that knows how her totem works. So he can use it as his totem
  3.  permalink
    The Ghost Writer
    Damn Kim Cattrall can't act ! Why would Polanski cast her? Rookie mistake lol
    On the other hand Olivia Williams was awesome!
    The movie was good but I really disliked the ending. That doesn't really make sense and The Ghost is kinda stupid...
    6/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2010
    thx LordMyst, though I think the totems could be more explained in the movie:D
    theoffice911 SPOILERS there is a theory that Tom Wilkinson's character arranged it. He knew the Ghost will be on the event so he payed someone/hired a guy to run him over END OF SPOILERS
    • CommentAuthorDadida
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2010
    Last movie I saw : Inception.
    I liked eXistenZ better.
  4.  permalink
    - Clash of the Titans : as a Greek mythology fan, it was a real insult, I gave 1/10 to Troy but I'll be nice here --> 2/10 (yea I know I'm not being objective but honestly when you know and love Greek mythology this is painful)
    - Shrek 4 : nice ending for the franchise, it was less funy than Shrek 1-2 but a little bit better than the 3rd. Puss in Boots is definitely awesome --> 6/10

(for the French)
    - Fatal : je m'attendais à pire de la part de Mickaël Youn, c'est pas terrible mais je dois avouer (avec un peu de honte) avoir bien ri par moment --> 5/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010
    So excited about your "utter nonsense" on my review, which I'm sure is coming :D I think it's naive to assume that anything based on the mythology will be accurate, it's all about CGI and entertainment in those movies nowadays. And Troy is worth more than 1/10 imho just because of how funny Bloom is, I had a good laugh watching him roll on the sand and being scared of the birds flying above him :D But in all honesty, Bana's performance was very good.
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010
    Saw Inception yesterday, finally. Love it love it love it!!!!!
  5.  permalink
    I completely agree with theoffice911 about Clash of the titans, it was painful to watch this movie and Sam Worthington's character was so irritating. I gave it 2/10 only because of adorable Gemma Arterton and Neeson's "Release the Kraken" :D Only good line in the whole movie.. But that's of course only my opinion.
    I've just finished Believer with Ryan Gosling and and it was a little bit disappointing, the whole story failed to convince me. I don't think I'm gonna see it again some day.
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010
    I've just seen Harvey with James Stuart. Such a feel good movie, I really liked it :)
  6.  permalink
    Awesome! I love Harvey :-) Jimmy is one of my favorite actor! I gave it a 9/10 and it still is on IMDb Top250 !!
    You have great taste ;-)
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010
    Mr. Nobody - outstanding beautiful movie... love it!
    Smart People - good actors but a bit boring...
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    @theoffice911: Yes, the movie is so nice, funny, touching and so simple, but memorable and James Stuart was fantastic. I gave it a 8/10 and will definitely watch it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Saw Inception in the cinema today:)! It was a really entertaining movie though it was a bit long and less action would have been better to me :), Nolan is great when it comes to direct entertaining action movies. Score: 8/10
    Then I saw Les chansons d'amour aka Love Songs at a friend yesterday:), it was a charming romance/musical but I didn't find the story that interesting, I would like to know some of the characters better though. Score: 6.5/10 :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2010 edited
    I saw "Changeling" I'd give it 87/100 although the movie is far worse in terms of the storywriting and movie making than "Mystic River" and "Million Dollar Baby", I thought the script is at fault here - it was totally unnecessary to make 2 movies in 1 - one about the mother, second about the killer. The killer part was taking focus away and I think they only reason it was done was so the guy who plays him got nominated in Oscar season, which didn't happen. Eastwood should have stuck to Christine's story. Having said that, if I had to make top 20 of the best performances ever Jolie would be there. Her work in this film is so well thought and heartbreaking that it gets me every time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010
    for all "Inception" fans, I nearly died when I saw it:D
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010
    :-)))))))))))))))
  7.  permalink
    Hahaha love his face !
  8.  permalink
    + The Outlaw Josey Wales : 7/10 --> Great! I love Clint :-) The dialogues are great. The music (Oscar nomination) was really fitting and Josey Wales is such a badass!
    Bounty hunter #1: You're wanted, Wales.
    Josey Wales: Reckon I'm right popular. You a bounty hunter?
    Bounty hunter #1: A man's got to do something for a living these days.
    Josey Wales: Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy.

+ Der Himmel über Berlin : 5/10 --> I know this movie is loved here but I found it quite boring (especially the last 20min) and I don't like Nick Cave's music... The concept was awesome though.
    • CommentAuthordesideria
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2010
    *Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call, New Orleans - I love this movie, and the music there is beautiful! 9/10
    *Cache - very good thriller, M. Haneke never disappoints me. 8/10
    *Atame! - I like it, but it's not so special. 6/10
    • CommentAuthordesideria
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2010
    And I saw "Husbands" (John Cassavetes) - but I can't find the movie here on WTM. It's a pity! I LOVEEEEEE this movie - 10/10! :)
  9.  permalink
    * The Joneses : 7/10 .
    First I thought that it was a standard Comedy movie but the story was better than i thought.
  10.  permalink
    Nice nickname ! Is that from the Nirvana song?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010
    I love you Philip Morris, 30/100 Useless movie, almost completely unfunny and frankly, very offensive. It basically shows all the sterotypes of homosexuals and doesn't even deliver any decent message nor is at least being funny, as a person who supports gay rights I was disgusted by that film. But Carrey and McGregor were ok in their roles.
    "In the name of the king" 15/100 - awful, awful, awful. The only reason to watch Uwe Boll's movie is if someone you adore is in the cast. Well, Jason Statham was in the cast, so I was defensless :D But the movie is terrible - the dialogues are pathetic, everything has the quality of some lousy video game. But Jason did as best as he could, even if he totally doesn't fit fantasy world and there were some nice pieces of music.
  11.  permalink
    Ohhh I liked Philip Morris I gave it a 7/10 ! Carrey was awesome in it. I don't know why you would find it offensive, according to what I read the real Steven Russell was even more of a "queen" than how he is portrayed here. I don't think the aim of the movie was to deliver a message, it's just a biography of one of the greatest con-artist. You have to admit this guy is a genius, I mean his prison breaks were legendary! The movie made me sign the petition that states his over-100 years jail sentence is unfair lol
    One day we will like the same movie and it'll be awesome sati !! We gotta keep trying haha
    We both think Uwe Boll is an awful director, that's a start !

+ Der Untergang : 8/10
    + Les Triplettes de Belleville : 6/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Well he could be a "typical" "queer" (I assume that's what u wanted to type), but everyone in the movie were too. Gay people don't necessarilly wear shiny jewelery, spent money on luxurious stuff, have clean shaven faces etc. It was ok in "Bruno" because it was funny, here the jokes were lame. And in "Bruno" the joke was not at the expense of gay people but fashion, shallow americans etc. Here they clearly made fun of homosexual love. Plus the fact that the ending was made as if the God intended Philip to be punished and given that when he was with his wife and kids nothing bad happened to him and suddenly when he embraced his sexuality he became a criminal - well that's just despicable storyline. So if he was a good catholic and lived a lie, he would be honest and good citizen and now he is a thief, liar and of course - in the end in jail. Gross writing.
  12.  permalink
    You can't blame the writing for a biopic... I mean Steve Russell was a married cop who one day came out of the closet and became a criminal. Steve McVicker (the guy who wrote Steve Russell's biography) was consultant on the movie, Ewan McGregor spent a couple of days with the real Phillip Morris and he was a consultant too. They both made a cameo appareance in the movie.
    So it seems this movie is pretty accurate with the reality. I disagree when you say "they clearly made fun of homosexual love" I didn't see that at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    I'm aware of that - the biopic, the cameos.
    But te writing was just plain bad, if that man was indeed brilliant he deserved better and if he's approving of that film and how he was presented in it...well, then I feel sorry for him. Look at all homosexual encounters in this movie - fast, vulgar, casual spiked with really bad jokes. That movie was made in bad taste, without any sympathy for the characters, actually.
  13.  permalink
    Let's agree to disagree then :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2010 edited
    I've just seen The Expendables, I'd give it 6/10 'cause it's a good action movie, although my dear God it was so loud, I'm almost deaf now :D Stallone was awesome but Statham totally stole the show, he was great and he was throwing knives for a change:D And Sly and Jason have many hilarious scenes together. The whole thing is very predictable, the girl that needs to be rescued, Eric Roberts playing villain again, etc. but it was enjoyable :)
  14.  permalink
    + Snake Eyes --> 7/10 (am I the only one thinking De Palma's movies don't suck?!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010
    Swimming Pool, 79/100 - very good thriller with great atmosphere and twist in the end, fantastic performance from Charlotte Rampling
    Perfect Murder, 66/100 - pretty good movie, very stylish and wonderful role by Michael Douglas
    Prince of Persia, 60/100 - it was fun, but nothing special. However it was great to see lovely Gemma Arterton again, although she looked so much better in much more fun Clash of the Titans.
  15.  permalink
    + Centurion (2010) : If you like plot holes, inaccuracies and blood you'll have fun --> 4/10
    + City Island (2009) : Andy Garcia is great, the story is good without being original --> 6/10
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2010
    Dear Frankie - a beautiful British drama, as usual :)
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2010 edited
    I’m currently on a streak of classic sci-fi flicks

> Things to Come (1936)
    6/10 Wells’ counterpart to metropolis. entertaining because of the covered timespan of 100 years.

> Logan’s Run (1976)
    7/10 Great soundtrack from Jerry Goldsmith

> Silent Running (1972)
    5/10 omg, the music was so bad

> Soylent Green (1973)
    7/10 would have been even better if I weren’t spoiled (but who doesn’t know the ending of this film..)

Tonight: Fahrenheit 451

@theoffice: De Palma rocks
  16.  permalink
    @lovelyT: I cried my eyes out on that one
    • CommentAuthorRenko
    Monsters (this one: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1470827/ ) - Something like a road movie with an Cloverfield/Alien subplot, but still focusing on the two main actors. On imdb i just read "art-house cloverfield" and i think it fits somehow. Great movie!
    The Scouting Book for Boys - I really don't know if i like it or not - but great young actors! (Thomas Turgoose and... mh the girl :) )
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    We have a cinema here which is now showing British post-war movies. So I watched A Matter of Life and Death (1946) yesterday. A great and funny film with some really experimental sequences (8/10).

@naut: Enjoy Fahrenheit 451. I think it's such an awesome movie.