Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorNimmy
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    (I assume that bugs go into the proposals category, correct me if I'm wrong)

The percentage in the hall of fame is not computed correctly. For the Top Solvers (films of the last two weeks), you divide the number of movies of the last two weeks someone guessed by the TOTAL number of movies, whereas you must divide obviously by the total number of movies of the last two weeks.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    you are right. I'll fix it as soon i'm on my real computer (on my ipod right now)
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008
    should be fixed.
    feel free to take your calculator and verify it by hand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStarvey
    Yeah well, you wouldn't want me to do some math, I can assure you ;)

My answer to every question : 42...
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    what do you get if you multiply six by nine?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStarvey
    Vista, Debian & Google tell me 54 :D
    Actually, that one is easy : 60 minus 6...
  1.  permalink
    Seems not to be correct.
    atom currently has 102.2%! :-)

By the way: it would be great if you could display the number of personal highscore points of the last two weeks and the total number of movies of the last two weeks.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    biglebowski: yes, there seems to be a bug somewhere inside..
    and personal highscore in the hall of fame is on the way..
    • CommentAuthorglau
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    If I understand correctly, your formula is
    #(films solved less than 2 weeks ago) / #(films posted less than 2 weeks ago).
    Should be 4 on the denominator, since 2 weeks ago I could solve a film which is now posted 4 weeks ago.
    • CommentAuthorNimmy
    the best formula would of course be #(films posted less than 2 weeks ago I solved)/#(films posted less than 2 weeks ago)
    • CommentAuthorNimmy
    As a sidenote, if you need help with the development, I might be interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    Yes... I don't really see how this is such a big problem.
    I don't really know how you save all your data, but it's clear that you know, for each user, which movies he solved.
    You also know at each time which are the movies that are "still in play" (the movies from the last 15 days).

Now, to get the score of a user, simply count how many movies from the "still in play" he has found (and divide that by the total number in that list if you want a ratio). This might be a hassle for the computer if you have to compute the scores for all users in real time each time someone wants to check the hall of fame but you could update the scores every half an hour or so (or even update the score of a user whenever he solves a new movie, but also every hour so that scores are correctly decreased when movies expire).
  2.  permalink
    I have an other bug:

I solved x movies for all time an m from the last month. (x>m of course)
    The hall of fame tells me, that I just solved m movies of all time (not x).
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    I'm not sure if you're aware of the way the highscore is derived, so did you solve all the x movies in their respective time when the show solution button was not yet available? 'Cause if not, that's no bug, it's simply the way the all time highscore works.
  3.  permalink
    Well, I think most of the uncounted were solved after their respective time. But there should be a small number where the time is over only now.
    Maybe you're right, and that's the solution. ;) Thank you for answering.
  4.  permalink
    Wow, now my number of solved movies of a month is about 60 movies smaller that yesterday. I don't think, that solved 60 films of one single day. So something must have been changed.

Maybe it would be an idea to show (x/a1 movies solved, m/a2 movies solved in highscore, n/a3 movies of the last month solved). So you can see the differenz of the two highsores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2008
    Well, now that I finally made it #1 in the "last month" hall of fame, I guess it's time to correct the error in the way the ratings are evaluated :)

I don't know exactly how it works, but my guess is that it's more or less the same problem than what was before we changed it from 15 days to a month. For some strange reason, I'm guessing that at the moment, the rating is done according to the number of "screenshots still valid when they were solved" solved during the last 30 days, which is not what it should do...
    What should be counted is the number of "screenshots still valid now" that were solved.

Why doe this make a difference ? Because it gives a big advantage to the players who have created an account slightly less than 30 days ago:

* If we count how many "screenshots valid when they were solved" solved during the last 30 days *
    - Consider an account created on the 1st of February
    On the day of creation, I solve all available screenshots, which are the ones posted between the 1st of January (still valid since they last 1 month) and the 1st of February.
    During the month of January I keep solving all new screenshots as they appear.
    At the end of February, I have solved all screenshots that were posted during the month, but the ones I solved during my first day still count since I solved them less than a month ago.
    This means that after one month, I have points corresponding to movies that were posted between the beginning of January and the end of February (so 2 months' worth of screenshots).

However, on the second day of February, all the movies I solved during the first day expire at the same time, so I lose roughly half of my score... And from there on, if I keep solving movies when they are posted, I am rated only on the movies that were posted in the last month (which gives me a huge disadvantage over the players that have created their account less than a month ago, that are scoring points on movies of the last 2 months...).

On the contrary, if you count the number of "currently valid screenshots" that I solved (it doesn't matter when I solved them, but if yesterday I solved a movie that expired only 1 hour ago, then this point doesn't count anymore) then everybody is marking points on the same movies at all times and the scores are "fair" for everyone (accounts created 1 day ago, 1 month ago, or many months ago).

Seeing how 5killninja lost hundreds of points in just one day, I'm assuming that there is a problem in the rating system (there were not that many movies posted on the same day, and he was the only one who lost that many points) and I believe that he created his account slightly more than a month ago...

Anyway, the main point is : the date and time at which we solve a given screenshot shouldn't be taken into account in the scores. Only whether or not the screenshot was solved before or after its expiration, and whether or not the movie is still valid at the moment.
    Sorry for the long post, hope it was clear enough :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2008
    Yay ! Lost 200 points in one night :D
  5.  permalink
    Same here... lost a few hundred points some days ago.
    Something's terribly wrong with your calculations for top solvers of films of the last month.

As Zanapher said:

You probably test for the timestamp when the title was solved. That's not right. You should simply take the query for the top solvers of all time and add a filter for all movies which are currently valid for highscore points. It's not that tricky at all. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008
    actually, i worked very hard to get it as broken as it is now and you should pay more respect for that... but well you're of course right ;)
    someday naut and i were brainstorming about how the highscore should work and we both were obviously wrong. shit happens. (actually it sounded like a pretty nifty idea to do it that way, shame on us)
    i'll fix it as soon as i got subversion here.
  6.  permalink
    I didn't mean to be disrespectful, just trying to help. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008
    Yes, same here.
    Besides, it greatly helped me reach #1 at least once so it was a great idea while it lasted ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2008
    The problem is still here, isn't it?
  7.  permalink
    @Zanapher

I think so. Bummer...

@tliff

Please tell me if I can help you fixing the query.
  8.  permalink
    I think there is a bug when i go to the hall of fame, it says i've uploaded 6 movies, but i never did...
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2008
    Something very strange happened earlier today.
    For a brief time the "last month" hall of fame seemed to be fixed. The ratio between the number of solved movies and the number of unsolved (as can be seen in the overview) was in accordance to the percentage shown and the number of solved movies did seem to correspond with the ones I had solved that still give points (although I didn't check this in details since the change didn't last long enough).

Then suddenly it went back to the old hall of fame, with the same problems discussed in previous posts.
    What happened exactly ? Are you still working on the problem ?
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    i am stupid...
    i am very sorry...
    30+30 is 60 and not 30...

i'll just change random things until you say it's ok.
    so, how about now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    Seems right.
    Thanks to the overview mode (which provides a not so hard way to count), the number of solved movies that still earn points corresponds to the number show in the hall of fame (there's a difference of 1, but I might have made an error counting or maybe the score in the HoF is slightly delayed, no big deal anyway).
    The percentage is a bit intriguing though... The one shown on the main column of the hall of fame is not the same as the one shown at the bottom (where I see my own score, no matter if I'm in the main column or not). According to my calculations, the one at the bottom is correct whereas the one in the main column isn't (but they differ by very little).

Anyway, I think the main problem was solved.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    would you please check if the match now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    Nope...
    Now the one in the main column is higher than the bottom one, but I think the bottom one is still the correct one.
    (maybe you should check how "movies you posted" are handled, maybe that's where the difference comes from... I counted those as non solved (since they're not supposed to give me points) but the two calculations might handle them separately).
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    Uh, my bad, I can't even compare numbers now :)
    The one in the main column is still lower than the bottom one.
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2008
    We're talking about the movies solved in the last 30 days, right?
    I just checked my numbers, and the percentage is right (of the movies still solveable). Of the 942 movies that are still open, I solved 360, which is 38,2% (the score says 38,3%, but I guess that's just because of rounding).
    Also, the number in the main column is the same as the bottom one that's always there. Hope this helps.