Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    here is the Problem, what i have with the new system. there are a lot of great shots in the "New Submissions" Section, but the one which are rated high enough to get into the "Feature Film" Section are just the one which were often solved and not the one which are really "great". this is (just my opinion) because most people rate movies higher then others when they have seen them. My problem is in the first place, that the pictures which are not rated high enough but also show a very interesting, spectacular, ... scene of a movie, which i haven't seen yet, just disappear, so i can't ask a friend (or simply solve it after a month) from which movie it is taken. But also that i don't get a point for a "great" picture of a movie which i and a few other very lucky people had solved.
    beside bypassing some time from 1-24 hours between very important things i have to do, with solving some movies, i use this site to find interesting movies i haven't seen yet, but now i'm afraid that this will become a little bit restricted in the future.
    gaining points by rating every shot in this section is truly not the best way to solve this.

But i think, beside this, that validating new submissions by us users is a very good way.
    Maybe it is possible to calculate the value for the validation by putting more weight on ratings from users which had also solved the movie or simply just let people rate movies which they had solved.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZendrig
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2009
    What's the required score to make it into the feature films section?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    It's not a fixed required score, it's the 20 (or I don't know exactly how many) best each day.
  2.  permalink
    i agree with hackebeilchen, think great shots will be voted away cause people dont know the movie, or dont recognise the shot...
    • CommentAuthorFux
    I can only talk about myself....but I simply vote for the still.
    If I think it looks great/is funny, I´ll give it a high rating. Even if I can´t solve the shot.
    In fact if i can solve it, it may receive a harsher voting.

I personaly don´t like boring "actor just standing in the screen" pictures and will vote them low, even if i can solve them.
    Same thing goes for "wohaaaa tits *10rating*"-.-

I also was sad for the The Shawshank Redemption still being voted too low (the one with the clean shoes^^), but that´s how democrazy works.
  3.  permalink
    @fux : same thing with the F451 still...
    I still see still that i can appriciate a lot (and can't necessarily) solve that don't get a high score, but I have the feeling that there are still enough abscure stills that get through though.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009
    like my photo, it also went through and they didn't solved it yet

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/20508
    •  
      CommentAuthorSara
    @ LordMyst: I like the "not an alien" tag, it would have never occured to me to search with this ... these taggers really are a creative lot :-)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    @sara
    "not an alien" is my own tag, to make somewhat easier to solve the photo

unsolved photos are not fun

but someone deleted the tag
    for the person who deleted my tag on my own photo
    I will put it back :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    In my opinion tags are made to make it easier when you want to find a shot you didn't solve and that you can now solve. Tags are not supposed to be hints to find the title!
  4.  permalink
    tag removed : a tag like "creature" would be fine, but "not an alien" is more a spoiler than a tag.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2009 edited
    I thought it was oke because it was my own upload photo

I'm not oke with it that the tag is deleted, but I will respect it

I will not do that anymore
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    I think the aim of the tagging should be explained in the faq...
    For me it's a way to find shots like when you watch a movie and then "Oh the red car I saw on wtm was from that movie, I'll search the shot and solve it" but for other player it's more a way to give hints.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009
    I don't know if I've already said this around here, but we're rethinking the whole tagging thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2009
    Thank you guys. You're really doing a great job on this site. The second version of WTM certainly took you a lot of time an energy to be created but now I think i't worther with all the suggestions.
    I have to focus on school for now but in july I'll certainly create a paypal account to support your amazing work.