Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009 edited
    While the vote delete function is useful and needed on many bad shots that have large black borders, reposts etc, I do think it is being overused.

I have seen many shots deleted for "bad quality" on films which are old and just dont have that great of a source to start with. I have seen a couple of votes of "bad quality" on film stills from the 1930s/40s that are just black and white and grainy. Im not just talking my own shots here, I have seen it on many other peoples. Many great stills have been lost because of this.

Please dont be too eager to dismiss a still as bad quality, especially if you dont know what the film is and dont know if that is how it looks....

Rant over :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    that is true, some of the older movies get deleted but it is simply impossible to get a better still.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I usually only vote for deletion if it is a color movie. I don't know a lot of B&W movies. So usually I don't vote on them.

but if a B&W movie is blurry not clear enough I will vote for deletion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    got a vote for http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21388
    sorry, but thats what I call a dumbass who shouldn't be able to vote.
  1.  permalink
    Yes, that's quite amazing.
    Hobopok will surely remain the only deletion-voters for this (good) shot, so he will be surely identified by our almighty moderators. By the way, I don't understand why this shot has only 3.5 average note ! I guess voters haven't seen the movie...
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    @Muten

lol tiny black borders

:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

He's not worthy to be a Clapper Loader :) :) :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    got some bars-votes for this one too. if the voters would grab it in a better quality but I wouldn't bet some money in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSara
    So please enlighten me: How can you see who voted for deletion? I only see the skull gone red ... or do you have to solve the snapshot in order to get this information?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Just click on the skull, to see who voted for deletion;)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    when someone has voted for deletion the skul (left in the corner) is red

click on it and then you can see who voted and why
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009
    OK Ive officially had it with uploading to this site. I think the last 5 shots I have uploaded have been deleted by the great unwashed. Now they are gone I cant see why.

Basically if your shot doesnt contain boobies, gore, or isnt really obvious what film it is, it wont get through. I cant be arsed to spend my time uploading stills any more.
  2.  permalink
    Come on ! Don't be so bitter !
    If you look at the last uploads http://whatthemovie.com/overview/2009/6/13 , there is no sex or gore content, half of the shots come from famous movie, but the other half is really uneasy !
    I agree with the fact that some voters are rating shots as dummies, but I'm sure that few more weeks of teaching, and perhabs a couple of corrections by our almighty creators, and the system will be ok.
    Let's be patient, keep taking snapshots !
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009 edited
    the thing you forget is: the more time flies, the more players become CL. it's hopless or as we say in germany "ein teufelskreis".
    and as soon as guys like Hobopok are able to mark shots as undeleteable the whole fun and fairness will be gone.
  3.  permalink
    That's why I'm saying that the system needs little corrections. But for me, nothing is desperate (or just housewives).
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Dont get me wrong paposaure, I am still going to enjoy playing the game, writing reviews, solving movies etc.. but this democracy thing is not working out IMO for new submissions, so I wont be adding any more until changes are made. Quite often, once one fool has voted to delete a movie, everyone else does the same when it wasnt really justified.

Unfortunately you give some people a little power and it goes to their head. I think the vote-delete should be more of an elite thing, it shouldnt be something that anyone can do. Perhaps it should be a power awarded to people who contribute most to the site, not dependant on your rank.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    LePaposaure said:
    "If you look at the last uploads ->link<- , there is no sex or gore content, half of the shots come from famous movie, but the other half is really uneasy !"

You are right, but unfortunately most difficult ones will not make it to feature films, which is a shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Going through the current new submissions, there are quite a few shots marked for delete as low quality when really, they arent bad quality at all,

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21328#

for example. This is a low budget indie film, and this is exactly how the film looks. For this film, it really cant look any better. Fair enough if the shot gets GRADED badly, thats democracy for you, but I really see no reason to delete it.

It always seems to be the same 3 or 4 people I am seeing marking these shots for deletion. Maybe they have had some of their shots deleted for bad quality and are on some kind of vengeance mission to get everyone elses removed :)
  4.  permalink
    I don't believe in a "revenge" plot about few disappointed people who are abusing of undeserved power. One more time, I think it's a problem of education about the submissions. I can see a lot of changes every weeks, that's why I'm still optimistic. However, your words revealed some aspects of the game the creators has to rule about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    i also agree that the vote deletion thing is getting a bit out of hand.
    as long as you don't know the movie, you can't really judge if it is bad quality etc. And it is true that with a lot of
    stills judged as bq, a few names keep coming up. Perhaps post a shout on their page?
    • CommentAuthorChogori
    What I'd like to know is who the moron is that adds the tag 'color' to every shot. The reason for a tag is so you can find it again. Try searching for the tag 'color' and you'll get the whole site as a result. :/

And yes, I know it's a bit off-topic, but since this is the most visited thread, atm, it has a good chance of being read. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Papo, the "revenge" thing was said with tongue firmly in cheek, I didnt really mean that. Although I did mean that the same people seem to be marking shots for deletion. Perhaps it should be that 1 person can only mark for deletion 1 shot a day. There are enough people on this site that if a shot REALLY deserves deletion, it will still get deleted.

And chogori I fully agree :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    looks like that still I referenced earlier http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21328 is on its way to being deleted. 3 votes for bad quality now. As only 9 people have guessed the answer (myself included) I am positive that the people voting for deletion dont know the film. If they did they wouldnt be voting. I have also added a shout to the still pleading with people not to vote, but its not working.

This film, while low budget and shot on poor film stock etc.. is a classic movie and deserves a place on this site.

A bit like my recent "stalker" image that was deleted due to "poor quality" when it was taken from the DVD and is the best possible looking version of the film we have at the moment, until someone remasters at 4k/8k and releases in HD, which is possible but unlikely. Little known cult movies just dont have a place on this site it seems, even though they have had a theatrical release and therefore fit criteria.
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    I don't understand why everyone rants about how a shot will be deleted if nobody knows it. I think it's absolutely natural to vote a shot higher if you know the movie, because often you can only truly appreciate a certain scene when you know it from the context of the movie. This one for example http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21422 I think it is very moving if you have seen the film... I don't know if it would mean anything to me if I hadn't seen it?

I'm not saying this is always the case, some shots are outstanding by themselves. This one for example, no idea what it is but it looks interesting http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21431

Personally, I skip voting on screenshots that I think might be meaningful IF I had seen the movie. But I also rate down shots that are low quality and participate in the deletion vote. Even if it's an old black and white film, it should still be possible to get rid of the black borders.

But I also tend to give higher votes for shots I know, especially when I think they're in some way clever or capture the movie's meaning well. It doesn't matter to me if it's easy to recognize, as long as the shot evokes in some way the same feelings as the movie did!
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Connectiv, I think you misunderstand, your post is all about movies being voted low, but this thread is about shots being DELETED before the 48 hours is up. Not about movies which dont make the FF section because of low votes.

We all understand voting is subjective. That is not what is being discussed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    take this frelling guy off the votes: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21477#
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    @chogori: there hopefully will be multitag search in the future where you can search for several tags combined. In this case it absolutely makes sense to have a tag indicating a color picture, so you can search for e.g. dog & color.
  5.  permalink
    @Muten : Ah. A Farscape fan!
    • CommentAuthorChogori
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009
    @fungus: and you'd still get half the database, due to the color tag. Doesn't make sense. Would be the same as tagging all pictures with an actor with "human'. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    @them00ch - Your original post was about deletion vote, but I saw several in here complaining about dumb people who vote low or vote for deletion because they haven't seen the movie and how everything has sex or gore content or can be solved too easily. But you're right, I should have been sticking to the original post.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZendrig
    The solution is quite easy:
    Let only the ones WHO SOLVED A SHOT rate it. Only they can objectively say if it's representative of the movie.
    The deletion vote must be coupled with a popup-menu where you have to select the reason for why the still is bad. (similar to YouTube) Then the admins can check whether the claim is true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZendrig
    Having thought about it: Let me rephrase my proposal.
    The votes of people who actually solved the shot should be worth MORE than the votes of people who didn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    I thing the validation of the deletion by the admins is essential. This way we can avoid deletion by stupid players who vote for deletion because of "thiny black bordders" and the admin can also indicate de reason of the deletion to the uploader.
    • CommentAuthorChogori
    @Zendrig: I don't agree with either comment (personal opinion), since half or more of the movies people guess correctly is due to going through the iMDB resume of an actor. I sure haven't seen all movies, and will be the first to admit that I've solved shots that way. I hit a correct answer without even seeing the movie, perhaps 750 out of 2100+ solves. That's just dumb luck, because I recognize the actor/actress in the shot, and if luck becomes the decisive criteria, well...let's not go there. ;)

Validation of deletion, as Fifty put it, is the right way to go, I think. Not autodelete as soon as it hits 5 votes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSara
    Hi guys,
    yesterday I posted a shout on Hobopok's profile page trying to direct him here to take part in the debate:
    "Hi Hobopok, is there a reason why you click on the vote-delete-button so often? Seems that a lot of people don't understand or don't agree with your reasoning. Maybe it'd be best to visit the forum and explain ... http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=333&page=1#Item_8 "

That's his answer, just for your information:
    "Hi Sara,
    I spend already way much time on WTM not to get sucked in the forum on top of that. I gave bad quality ratings on image quality grounds only (such as images shot through a TV tuner or something).
    I may on the other hand have gotten a little carried away in the black bar banning frenzy. Sorry if I spoil your fun. Didn't mean to. I'll try yo put a lid on that."

Just for your information. Maybe it helps if you post your complaints directly to the respective person so they see that a lot of people care about their actions ... to put it positively ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Thanks for that Sara. however this complaint thread wasnt specifically about Hobopok and the black bars issue. He does seem to be a name that keeps popping up however he is not alone by far. Generally I was having a rant about anyone that judges a film as bad quality without knowing what the film was and if it was representative of the actual quality of the film, such as that Toxic avenger still that got deleted as bad quality, and my Stalker.

As an experiment i have just uploaded 3 modern well known films and they seem to be doing oK, however I am not going to waste my time uploading some of my favourite older films, such as Tarkovsky films, Fritz Lang and other German expressionist cinema etc.. because they will just be deleted as bad quality. THAT was my main gripe. Good shots of older films that dont even EXIST in pristine HD quality will not make it through, and that is a shame.

Lots of people could discover these great older films by seeing them on this site, and they just wont now the power of deletion is in the hands of the great unwashed :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    I think I have to kill some people as promised: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21515
    • CommentAuthorDadida
    @them00ch : totally agree.
    I'm not that into older crap, but i've seen stills that look crappy, but like you said, there IS no HD version of those, so discard all the older classics like "them" "they live" and a lot of other movies. it's a shame.

I've also seen a lot of stills going down the drain that were actually quite important for the movie and as such, really not that bad, but if you don't know the movie. well, you get only the main stream shit. compare it to television. THAT is a perfect example of letting the people decide what to pick. *** got talent. *** on ice. 5 morons in a house with cameras. and so on and so on. hard to find any qyality there..
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009
    A lot of mainstream gets deleted too! I don't know a lot of old movies or special interest films, so I do like the mainstream things. But I think there must be something for everyone. I don't think stills should be deleted because of black bars (so what?!?!) of a little distortion. I really think the new site is great, but this is spoiling the fun a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2009 edited
    Please post a summary of all your proposals here. --> http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=347
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009
    I don't want to be one of those "bad quality" delete people, so I ask your advice:

is this in correct ratio ?
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21759

compare this:

comments ...
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2009
    Thanks bap2008. It looked suspicious to me, it's confirmed now.
  6.  permalink
    agree. nice still, btw.
  7.  permalink
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22098#

you wouldn't see more, if the picture was in "correct ratio". thats simply the only thing on screen at this very moment.
    so what is the problem? the still pretty crispy and just because the whole thing is not filled it has to be deleted? sucks..
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009
    The rules are pretty clear : "We won't accept low quality!"
    This *is* low quality. Because it's not how it's supposed to look.
    And it's not about the "whole thing being filled". The WTM frame has 1.80:1 proportions and movies can be shot in various aspect ratios... But all of them can fit in the WTM frame and they don't need to be altered for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2009 edited
    @ Schwarzschild

Yeah Im afraid I agree with the delete-votes in that picture. It isnt "bad quality" as such - in fact as you pointed out it was quite a sharp high res picture - but it was in completely the wrong aspect ratio, making it look squeezed. As MZ points out, you dont have to fill the WTM frame, but the movie has to be in the same proportions as the director intended.

ie if you take a 4:3 shot, and upload it so its in scope fomat, ie 16:9, 1.85:1 etc.. its going to look horribly distorted and squeezed. At least now its gone you can take the picture in its correct aspect ratio and upload it again :)

just to be clear on my intentions with this thread, it was to point out that the "bad quality" vote delete is being used on shots which clearly dont deserve it, just because the film is grainy or old for example. A film being in the wrong aspect ratio does warrant a vote-delete IMO.
  8.  permalink
    alright, i try to improve then. :)
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22316#

SnakePlissken voting for deletion on his own shot... :-)
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    This is consistent with my belief that SnakePlissken is a robot. Must have a bug...
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2009 edited
    some kind of joke ?
    the shot isn't that bad ...

edit:
    @astrododo - I agree ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSara
    You beat me, toffetomas :-) I came here to share a laugh about that dialogue, too.
    Anybody else wants to join in the fun? Help yourself ...