Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009 edited
    Could someone tell me why some of the stills in the new submissions section are deleted within 47 hours? I told my friend that at last there was a nice still of The Notebook, but when we couldnot find it anymore I noticed that more stills were gone. Ironman for example. Is it maybe because they are too well known? In that case I really disagree because there are also a lot of really unknown movies. But maybe this is not the reason at all.
    Greetz,
    Petra
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2009
    you're right. the Iron Man shot is missing; it wasn't spectacular, but as far as I remember there weren't any formal flaws.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I think it's deleted

If it gets 5 votes it wil be deleted
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I think it was my Iron man shot that got deleted. I would love to know why. I hope it wasnt because of bad quality because it was taken from the blu-ray!

I think once a picture gets deleted, the person who posted it should still be able to see it and see the reason it was deleted.
    • CommentAuthorRen
    Ok, sorry for repeating a question I wrote elsewhere: Who in the world - or in the hell - can tell me why a snapshot from the most famous film of the history - Gone With The Wind - that nobody is able to recognize for two days is deleted? Isn't it the best snapshot: very difficult from a very famous movie? Hello? Is anybody there? Hello?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    There should be a notification when a shot is deleted (in the old version you received an e-mail) but devs have a lot to do. I think a temporary solution would be that the last one (or the first one) to vote for deletion should write it to the poster on his personnal page.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Yes I'm here but I can't answer your question :-)
    I think it's a shame that some shots are deleted, especially nice ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009
    Ren: There's a limit to how obscure a screenshot from a famous movie can be. I'd say that if your shot wasn't solved by anybody in two days, it was a bad shot. I don't remember which it is, and in fact nobody does since no one solved it so no one knows it was from Gone With the Wind (which btw isn't the most famous movie in history, although that's not the point and I agree that it's very famous).
    Since no one knows which shot you're talking about, no one answered your question (on the other hand, even if we knew, what did you expect us to say?).

The rule that states that shots from very well known movies should be harder than shots from unknown movies only means that all shots should ideally be solved as many times, so the difficulty should compensate for the fame of the movie. Picking an image of a blue sky from a famous movie does *not* make a good shot.
    • CommentAuthorFedtTony
    yea, the Max Payne shot also got deleted. I mean, is it only me who recognize Mila Kunis legs? xD
    • CommentAuthorsestere
    today another two shots from me got deletet too (an iron man shot of his watch, got solved a view times and got rated 7.something and a ninth gate shot of Emmanuelle Seigner with a bloody nose, got solved more often than the iron man shot but a suprisingly low rating).

oh and i found a bug: i submittet three shots which are up and running. though every time i try to submit new ones which are rejectet there pictures show still up on my profile page as uploaded films (in the preview section with the uploaded, favourite shots and movie). though whenn i click on see all three of my uploaded films, i just see the three running ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2009 edited
    Yep, the preview of the last uploads, in the personnal page, is adding the last shots, even if they are rejected. It seems to be a bug !
    • CommentAuthorRen
    To Zanapher: My shot was not a blue sky but a close-up of a male face, and by the way extremely neat. But it is not very important, after all. I still have a question: do we understand that a very difficult shot is necessarily a bad shot? Thank you for your answer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I would still like to know why my Iron man shot got deleted. Not because I am bitter, but I want to avoid making the same mistake again, should I ever upload any more stills, which at the moment seems unlikely.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    I think because it was an easy shot from a very well-known picture.
    I liked it :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    So movies get deleted because they are easy now?

I dont know - it gets deleted if its too hard and obscure and gets deleted if its too easy. I cant win.

And if thats the case, I can pick out a hundred movies right now that are too easy. Why werent they deleted?
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    a shot was deleted in NewS before its 48h-run was over, because it was too easy ???
    can't imagine that happening ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    perhaps naut or tliff or someone can confirm the reasons that particular shot was deleted. I would like to know for future uploads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    the reason why shots make it to FF or not is simple. Currently there are no rules about voting for the shots so people just vote them following their own preferences. If their preferences are not yours your shot can't make it.
    As long as the rules to vote a shot are not established (Lepaposaure started a good topic on it http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=334&page=1#Item_7) you can't be sure that you shot will make it or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Fifty, please re-read the thread. We are talking about shots that are DELETED before their 48 hours in NS was up, not shots that were voted down and didnt make it to FF. I think we all understand how the stars voting works now :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFifty
    Oups sorry.
    I also think the vote for deletion is overused moreover by people who didn't solve the shots (and so can't objectively judge their quality).
    I think this kind of vote should be reserved to a few moderators or maybe just players who solved the shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I concur :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I think the best system would be to carry on as we are now, but instead of the 5th vote actually deleting the image, it then gets flagged to a moderator to check if it actually should be deleted or not. The moderator can decide to "protect" the image from further deletion votes, or delete the image.
    • CommentAuthorChogori
    "I think the best system would be to carry on as we are now, but instead of the 5th vote actually deleting the image, it then gets flagged to a moderator to check if it actually should be deleted or not. The moderator can decide to "protect" the image from further deletion votes, or delete the image."

I could live with that proposal.
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    So could I.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009
    me too, seems to be an great idea. You can still give your opinion, but there is still some control before a (good) shot gets deleted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2009
    Well, there is a disadvantage. Yesterday (I think) for example there was one shot with way too much gore. it was deleted within an hour because of that. If it has to go to a moderator first it can still take too much time before it's deleted.

On the other hand you could make the image invisible for users, let the moderators decide and if it's not rejected put it back in the submissions.
  1.  permalink
    Please post a summary of all your proposals here. --> http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=347&page=1#Item_1