Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009 edited
    Hi all.

As a lot of effort goes into grabbing stills and uploading them, it is a shame when a movie does not make it to FF, as we all know. Its especially a shame when the still is yet to be solved, and you know that someone with a week or so would probably see that movie and go "Oh!" and figure it out. So I thought it would be good to make a thread JUST for posting those unresolved, rejected stills, and opening them up for people to guess. As we are not bound by normal WTM game rules in the forums, the rules for this game are as follows;

To post a still, it has to be;

1) Resolved by less than 5 people, but preferably unsolved.
    2) Rejected / not accepted to FF

****normal quality rules do not apply - if your image was deleted due to black bars or bad quality its OK to post here! ****

The rules of the game are ;
    Host your image somewhere like imageshack or photobucket, and post in this thread. As it is almost certainly a tough shot, please include a hint. The nature of your hint is up to you, however try not to make it too obvious.

Guessers, you are allowed no more than 2 guesses at each picture, to prevent people just reeling off a list of films.
    Once solved, the poster of the image should update his post to say it is solved and who solved it.

***If you were one of the few who guessed the image in New Submission, please try not to answer here***
    Have to trust you on that one :)

I will get the ball rolling with an image, unsolved, but hope more of you will be able to contribute;

*****SOLVED BY ZYTHUX******

*****SOLVED BY ZYTHUX******
    **HINT** The film was nominated for 8 Academy awards, and received another 8 wins and 13 nominations
    **HINT2** The film was instrumental in making the academy awards recognise the work of make-up artists.

Get guessing :)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    Good idea, although I'm not sure I want to participate, the thing is, I'm still hoping something to change so I can re-post my unsolved hard ones in a few weeks, I'm not giving up on them :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Fair point Chrisy. you dont need to post to participate though! how about a guess? Most of the people who are on this forum have probably seen this film, its just a tough shot
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Elephant Man?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    I agree with Zythux, but second place doesnt count huh?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Zythux, you the man, I was beginning to think no-one was going to solve this. The make-up clue was a giveaway wasnt it? I have another to post later unless someone else has one in the meantime.

Congrats :)
    • CommentAuthorSpinyNorman
    Did anyone guess this? I wasn't watching, but I assume it was rejected for being too difficult (if not please just tell me).

(This one I just don't know why it was rejected:
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    headshot famous actor?
  1.  permalink
    Famous actor in unknown movie? Because an obscure shot from such an unknown movie would be too difficult, no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    It was fine Spinynorman, a decent shot, just one of those pictures that didnt make it. We have all had them :)

That picture above in this thread, I didnt have a clue I must admit - a hint perhaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    I guessed it, know the movie and like it =)(the first shot), and honestly, it isn't such an unknown movie. It wasn't a blockbuster right, but it wasn't a flop either. ;)
  2.  permalink
    OK so it wasn't me!

The picture above I specifically choose for its difficulty! I must think about what hint makes it easier without giving it away.
  3.  permalink
    Phoenix, are you sure we're talking about the same movie here?
  4.  permalink
    And I don't have the time now to find it, but WHAT was that movie that looked like Darth Sidious / The Emperor from Star Wars but wasn't?
  5.  permalink
    @SpinyNorman : it looks great. but what's the movie?! I'm curious.
  6.  permalink
    @DiedEnFreek: I am curious if Phoenix got it right.
    @ Phoenix: Go ahead... let's see if you were right.

But I would certainly call this movie a flop, a failure and a disappointment. Literally everything was a cliché stolen from other movies only badly done. If you like it, you've got to like it the way you like Plan 9 from outer space.
  7.  permalink
    And Plan 9 is a master piece!
    ....in it's own way.

But, yes. I liked plan 9 ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009
    I liked Plan 9. I liked it in the same way I like having my eyeballs punctured with forks.

Actually thats not much.

But I did enjoy laughing at how bad it was. Watching Tim Burton's Ed Wood also bought a new perspective that was quite endearing.

Anyway, Im still intrigued, how about that hint spiny?
  8.  permalink
    Hint: it is also a game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    hmm was it directed by that hack Uwe Boll ?
  9.  permalink
    jumanji ?
    • CommentAuthorFedtTony
    Maybe one of the Tomb Raider movies?
  10.  permalink
    No...should I give another hint?
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    isn't it something like dungeons and dragons, that one nearly made me scratch out my eyes.
  11.  permalink
    My guess is it's "clue".
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2009 edited
    No, Forerunner, it is not just something <i>like</i> "Dungeons & dragons"...
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    oh it IS D&D then :)
  12.  permalink
    Yes, I'm afraid so.
    Mind you, that movie is hilarious. One big joke. Pity that it was completely unintentional, it was meant to be taken serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    mh... now it's too late... already solved.. but yep, I really knew it. ;)I'm not sure, I think I've been the first one to solve it after you uploaded it... but am not quite sure about it. But like I said I know the movie and I like it, even if lots of people say it stole stuff and whatever... it had good attempts but I agree they could have done better. But it's a nice movie, easy to watch if you're just looking for some shallow distraction ;)
  13.  permalink
    Yes, if you see it with the right kind of expectations (that means LOW expectations) it's OK.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    listen, i haven't uploaded a still, therefore i have no rejected shots.
    I shall now grant the honour of posting the next still to phoenix, because he also (kinda) guessed it.

If you ever watch D&D, pay attention to how the main character walks, epic :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    This one is not going to make it as no one has solved it . . so before it gets deleted . . .

• CommentAuthorChrisy
    What a shame btw, I liked this one...
    But you might want to wait, the admins push through about 10 to 15 shots a day which wouldn't make it with votes, so you never know ;)
  14.  permalink
    A clown?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    @Chrisy I will give it a chance then . . and keep my fingers crossed . . it was quite an odd movie . . I'll post it here with some hints if it doesn't make it . . :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    Well thank you forerunner =)

I have a shot I would like to post... I'm not quite sure, I guess it got solved more than 5 times but I think it was under 20, so I hope I'm allowed to post this one here than ;)

siren34, I know I've seen the movie, the shot seems so familiar, but can't remember which movie it is... so I'd love to see it go through because I would like to know... besides, it's a cool shot ;)

oh and P.S. forerunner... I'm a she ;)
    Hint?

Black and white movies are SO difficult!
    I know more than most people, but there are so many...
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    Oh yes, hint, I'm sorry, I totally forgot.

So here it is, the hint:
    -This movie is NOT a black and white movie, just this specific scene.
    -It's the adaption of a book.

Ok I'll leave it with this, if it's still too hard, more hints will follow ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    sorry to be a party pooper

but that is queen of the damned. Bad movie, good soundtrack.

I deem this Sirens34's turn

and apologies to Phoenix
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009
    :) . . I was sad this one didn't make it through to FF . . .

• CommentAuthorastrododo
    That's william H Macy, but I'm not sure what movie.

It looks like this one isn't going to go through:
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2009 edited
    Not to be picky but please wait until the shot really doesn't go through, it can happen that at the last moment your shot will be pushed through anyway so if answers are given here, it will be too easy ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    @Chrisy You are right . . I was pleasantly surprised to see the shot I posted with the Clown did make it through . . :)
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    @Chrisy I agree with you. I posted mine with less than 1 hour left because I didn't want to lose the direct link to the picture. In the future, I will copy the link to the picture and post it after it expires.

Hint for my shot:
    -Movie was originally a play
  15.  permalink
    The pictures stay on the site for some time, although probably not forever, after they are rejected.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2009
    forever
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2009 edited
    Yes. Click on your name and you will see thumbnails from the pictures you've recently uploaded.

And what was that picture that looked like Darth Sidious / The Emperor from Star Wars, but wasn't?
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2009 edited
    did not come through, but I am curious if anyone will solve it!

Hint: the bard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009 edited
    As this shot got rejected, I'd like to post it here. It's a really tricky one, but I'm pretty sure most of you know the movie. As far as I remember, it had 3 solves in the end.
    [pic deleted] :)
    Hint: 1 frame
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2009
    Clockwork Orange?