Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009 edited
    Here are some proposals for new features in this maaaarvelous addicted website :

- Top quality uploader : ranking of the average note for all the uploads per user. Minimum of 20 uploads to be in and minimum of 3 votes per shot to be counted.
    - Top favourite uploader : ranking of number of favourite shots per uploader (from all the posted shot). It's not about the number of favourite shot you have in your profile, but how many of your shots have been bookmarked as favourite.
    - bucks for vote in the archive (1 to 3 bucks per vote). This part is quite abandonned for me, it's a pity.

Let's discuss !
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009 edited
    - Possibility to delete our own deletion vote, or possibility for admins (or high bucks ranks) to delete "deletion-votes".
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009
    And possibility for admins to "lock" deletion votes, when it's been agreed that :
    - the still is taken from the DVD
    - it's not a dupe
    - it's good quality
    Maybe, in this case, votes could remained open, but without automatic deletion on the 5th vote.
  1.  permalink
    For the moment, deletion votes is also taken as commentaries. It would be good to have a text part, accessible by admins, that follows the shot 'till the Feature Film part.
    This text part could be filled by the uploader in the upload process (for commentaries like "Re-post of a deleted shot", "Taken from DVD", "special ratio of the movie"...), and changed by the uploader or an admin during New Submission's 48 hours.
    So the deletion-votes would only be used for deletion.
  2.  permalink
    - The Total of First Solved shot, in the profile's page, as the Total Movie Solved already exists.
    Just an information, but it could be nice to know how involved and crazy about cinema people are (and personnaly, I dream to know how many first solved has MisterZob !)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2009
    - The best ranking of all time on the profile's page could be interesting too.
    • CommentAuthorFedtTony
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009
    There's one thing I would like, that was there in the old WTM but I can't find it in WTM2. The ability to filter for example, shots you haven't solved. Maybe I've just missed it?
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2009
    @ FedtTony - I agree, that would be nice.

Also, it would be nice if the number of solves could be displayed on thumbnails.
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009
    'More stats coming soon', says the profile page. I agree with efji that a 'Best ranking' in the Feature Film Score would be nice. Like the way in tennis you have 'Current ranking' and 'Best ranking'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBarto
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009
    an iPhone-stylesheet would be nice. Currently WTM is working in Safari on iPhone, but you've always got to zoom around.. It would be great if there was a stylesheet for iPhone so everything would fit on the screen.. I really like playing WTM in the train
    • CommentAuthorcoolathlon
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2009 edited
    When I have posted a ahot, is it possible to immediately show the movie title?
    'cause some might forget it or are too lazy to type it in.

(from chat)
    m00ch: Why do you need tp type it in?
    coolathlon: to reach the movie's page
    coolathlon: the link just shows up when typing it in

m00ch: suggest it in the forum link I posted

Done.
    • CommentAuthorcastaka
    Could it be possible to have an option to get the name of a movie when you have already solved the shot.

If you solved it weeks ago, and you can't remember the name after, that would be handy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuschko
    normaly you can press the show solution button when you already solved the shot and you get the answer
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009
    Exactly. buschko is completely right.
    • CommentAuthorcastaka
    yeah i just realised that and wanted to edit the post but nvm i take the suggestion off :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorRedvex
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2009 edited
    -Display of the best FF rank reached.
    -Display the total of First Solved.
    -The old thumbnail filter (WTM1). Eg: Displaying all unsolved/solved by nobody pics and whatnot.
    Besides the "Show Unsolved Only" option is somehow not working most of the time for me...
    • CommentAuthorcastaka
    I'd like a possibility to remove the deleted shots from my favourites overview (or a way to show existing dead links)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    I really like what you guys did for the contests, the new feature is great =)
    But there is one little problem... the shots in the contest are not listed in the snapshots of the movie, so there is a certain amount of risk of dupes being uploaded to the new submissions.
    So my suggestion is to list those shots after the contest ended or after 32 days as usual in the movies shots.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    I would like to see the shots uploaded into contest also being visible in the profile's gallery of the uploader.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Minor suggestion for user profile display :
    I noticed (a while ago) that favourite movies are now displayed shuffled. That's nice.
    What about "shuffling" favourite shots and movie fellows too ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    The "rejected snapshots" section is a very good idea. But then you can navigate from it using "next" and "previous" and you get the contiguous rejected snapshots mixed with the FF section snapshots. A clear tag indicating that a snapshot has been rejected could be a good idea. Maybe using a different background for the whole page (grey?).

In the same spirit, a clear indication (clearer than the little heart) of the pictures of the last 30 days could be useful.
    •  
      CommentAuthortleilax
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009 edited
    The clear indication is a good idea, I think. Maybe something that looks like a video store ("straight to video") for the rejected shots which would fit perfectly.
    • CommentAuthorKIni
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009
    Maybe a bit off topic but I try it here:
    I´ve recognized that there seems to be no upload limit for moderators. That´s okay on the one hand, as by awesome upolads you´re rewarded for your commitment. But on the other hand this gives this site more and more an elitist touch. The advantages of moderators get more and more obvious to normal users, shouts get more and more conversations, you don´t want to disturb and there´s a air of arbitraryness. No offense meant here, I hope it is clear what I mean: as supporter, I have awesome uploads, too but I only used them once. Maybe I´m a mean commie but imo every shou should at first be confronted with the voting system. With people having the possibilites to upload anything they find worthy participating, this place is too much shaped by few - and that leaves the air of "everything I´m posting is worth it". No it necessarily isn´t! Think about normal users that have to struggle to get one fucking good shot into the Feature Films section while others get more than three in a row without having to think about the quality of the single shot as the idea of the row is the only thing that counts (there has, by the way, already been a cameo row I think).
    Let´s discuss.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I am sorry klni there is a upload limit for moderators

m00ch got a lot of awesome uploads because of the contest. He was the big solver. He used them for his series
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    What LordMyst says is right. the moderators have exactly the same rights as normal users when it comes to uploading.
    • CommentAuthorKIni
    Ah, okay. Sorry about that - I noticed that "strong presence of moderator-power" and interpreted it that way - wrongly.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I think at the moment if there is one power we abuse it is pushing through shots that wouldn't make it on rating, just have a quick look how much go through each 24hours, this will give you an idea! (only about 30 goes on rating, the rest we push through!)
    And the awesome uploads is a good system. There is no problem if someone decide to use his/her awesome uploads to post a big serie! This is what it is for. And everybody should decide how to use them. The quality of the shots will still be checked and there was already some awesome uploads deleted for bad quality or dupes.
    For the rest, As said by Lordmyst and Zythux, we have the same rights as everyone else
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009 edited
    Wow that was a long rant about something completely misunderstood :)

As already explained, we get exactly the same uploading rights as everyone else. I had 12 Awesome uploads due to donating to the site, and more uploads due to getting the most solves in the contest. But this has been explained.

quote: "Think about normal users that have to struggle to get one fucking good shot into the Feature Films section while others get more than three in a row without having to think about the quality of the single shot as the idea of the row is the only thing that counts (there has, by the way, already been a cameo row I think)."

I find this comment personally insulting, its quite obviously directed at me. You seem to be saying the images are not good quality. If you dont think the images are good quality, you can vote for deletion the same as anyone else. If you dont think I care about quality you are sorely mistaken.

Yes it is hard for shots to get to FF, but my normal shots go through NS the same as everyone else, get rejected the same as everyone else. I have no special privileges in that respect. In fact you have an advantage if anything, because you have moderators putting your images through also (and I notice I have put a couple of yours through manually before), I wont put my own images through.

And anyone else can use their awesome uploads in the same way I did. Yes there had been a cameo series before, but it was 3 images, I added another 9 to the series. And theres about 20 more this director has cameo'd in, people have expressed interest in getting the entire series complete.
    I dont like using the awesome uploads for single images, I like doing series with them. I prefer my normal images to go through NS. They get more exposure that way, and a more realistic vote, more comments, favourites etc.. I will only ever use my awesome uploads for series. If people dont like that, I'll stop.

TLDR: what Chrisy said
    • CommentAuthorKIni
    All right, I think I got it. Thanks for the enlightment - due to the detailled answers I hope no one else will be trapped the same way and I think it´s been necessary that all those things have been made a subject of discussion.
    P.S. Thanks for pushing, now I know whom to corrupt ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Well those comments weren't a good start to trying to corrupt me :P

And you can rest easy now. I only have 3 awesome uploads left.
    • CommentAuthorFedtTony
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009
    Thanks a LOT for the filtering options! =D
    Great work on the site guys!
    •  
      CommentAuthortleilax
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009 edited
    A posting of holynoise in another thread http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=549&page=1#Item_5 reminded me of a feature that I would really really like:

If there was a private messaging / shouting system, I would just love to be able to tell Scruffy (or maybe someone else if he's too busy doing his janitor thing) that they would please tell me what the solution to a certain screenshot is when it's moving from the feature films to the archive. Maybe just by selecting a checkbox or just another icon beneath the shot. There are shots that keep driving me mad and I'm getting tired of scrolling through my bookmarks on a regular basis to search for these...

And since I know that this would imply some heavy performance issues in the worst case, my suggestion would be to make this feature only available to higher ranks and/or supporters.
    The reasons for the restriction of this feature would be massive abuse on the one hand. You just have to expect some users to flag each and every shot and I'd assume, higher ranks and supporters select more specific because they are committed to this site and/or movies in general in a different way (just to clarify, no offense towards lower ranks / nonsupporters implied in any way). Plus, it would be a nice incentive to become a supporter.
    On the other hand there are the database performance related issues concerning traffic and space. If the feature would be restricted, less users would be using it => less problems. (Although the space issue could be reduced to a minimum since you'd only need to store two ids if I'm not mistaking.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009 edited
    That is one of the best ideas I have heard :) Perhaps to limit the load you can have 5 markers or something, ie you can tag 5 shots to automatically tell you the answer when they hit the archive. As soon as it gives you the answer, you get your marker back. Just an idea, but yes great idea tleilax

edit: castaka's idea is better :) VVVV
    • CommentAuthorcastaka
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009
    Maybe a good alternative to that would be to have a feature in the bookmarks to notify which are in the archives now.
    That way you can get your answer automatically when loading the bookmark page.

Same thing would be nice for the rejected shots that you bookmarked.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2009
    Could be nice to have a page that regroups all the unsolved snapshots (I think we can do it with the filters but would be nice to have a dedicated page) and maybe a prize for those whose snapshot have not been found at the end ? Maybe a Hall of fame of unsloved snpashots lol :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    Hm, don't agree with that hall of fame. Uploaders should not be aiming for shots that stay unsolved the whole time, the fun from whatthemovie is solving snapshots right ;) I think the only objective uploaders should have is to post beautiful, funny, nice-composition, colorful (and so on) shots, regardless of how many solves it will get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    I think it's nice Zythux to try and find a difficult snapshot... I am playing with one member giving clues, another form of playing I guess... could be part of the game to give and receive clues...
    •  
      CommentAuthorholynoise
    Extending the bookmarking-feature would be great, so that you can make multiple bookmark-lists
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2009
    We know the person who has solved the snap for the first time. But it could be cool to have some kind of pop up and have the list of all the solvers... I like for example to go and chat with the people who find my snaps and congrats them. I have one right now that has 2 solves. I whish I could congrat the 2nd one...

Cotp
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    Would be nice in our profile to be able to click (maybe just the user could do that) and see how many shots we have rate 1 2 ... 10 and when we click on a rating having the lists of those shots to be able if we want to find a snap and eventually change its rating...

Cotp
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2009
    spoiler-option for movie and review comments
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    Could be nice only for the user to have the list of all films he/she has uploaded and the number of shots accepted / rejected.

Could be like this:
    Wizard of Oz (2:4)
    Indiana Jones (2:0) etc...
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    you got the numbers on your profil, i think thats enough...
    but imo it would be quite nice if the number of stars would stood under the thumbnails on the profil (maybe as option, can imagine that not everybody would like that ^^)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    I believe it could be nice with a top 20 of favourited shots of all time and a top 20 of the uploaders who have been uploading most shots the last month like the feature film score
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    For six months now, we read 'More stats coming soon'. I don't want to sound impatient, and I'm sure you guys are busy improving stuff all over this great site, but I would just like to let you know that I'm really looking forward to those new stats that will come soon. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2009
    @ antituur

hear hear
    •  
      CommentAuthorCotp
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2009 edited
    To have the user's ranking in the hall of fame for "Solves in the past hour" as it is already shown for Top Solvers and Uploads...
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2009
    In the tag search, an "exact match" option and a "refine searching" could be useful.