Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormarisk8
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009
    I'm wondering why my shot #24004 got deleted about an hour after I sent it in? Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    Can you post what it was ?
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2009 edited
    it was this one:

and 5 votes complaining about the aspect ratio
    It was solved 7 times, maybe the distortion is intended.
    • CommentAuthormarisk8
    I capped from my DVD and only cut off the black bars
  1.  permalink
    Don't cut black bars, especially the top and bottom ones. The distortion can come from that.
    (Damn, this madness about black bars... Are these people cuting their plasma screen when they see black bars on it ?!)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    The movie should be 2.35:1, this snapshot is 2.02:1.
    I assume that, while marisk8 was removing the black bars, some misaction altered proportions too. Or maybe her DVD player's set up was not correct.
    It should actually look like this :

About black bars, I quickly made a little page to explain why and when they should be removed... and why it's sometimes not worth it :
    http://siboul.free.fr/wtm/
    Hope this'll help.
  2.  permalink
    Thank you MisterZob, this page could be very useful !

Nevertheless, I think you should add few more information :
    - specify if it is about the "horizontal" or "vertical bars"
    - explain when and how you remove black bars.

It's a little bit complicated to understand that the first shot is the primal screenshot, and the two others are in WTM box.
    And I don't understand why the ratio of the first shot is not the same as the movie itself (especially if you use VLC).

In fact, I don't understand a lot of things... :)

But it's a great page !
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    "And I don't understand why the ratio of the first shot is not the same as the movie itself (especially if you use VLC)."

When you take a snapshot from a DVD, you get either a 4x3 (1.33:1) picture or a 16x9 (1:78:1) one. There is no other VIDEO ratios for DVD.
    There are actually 4 different sizes you may get for your snapshot :
    - 640x480 (NTSC 4x3 DVD)
    - 853x480 (NTSC 16x9 DVD)
    - 768x576 (PAL 4x3 DVD)
    - 1024x576 (PAL 16x9 DVD)

BUT movies may be in many different ratios : 1.37:1, 1.66:1, 1:85:1, 2.20:1, 2.35:1, ...
    In order to make them fit in a 4x3 or 16x9 box, black bars are often needed, either on top and bottom or on left and right sides. Without those black bars, picture would be either distorted or cropped, which is WRONG !!! :)
    Here's what you get for the most common ratios, depending on the DVD being 4x3 or 16x9 :
    http://siboul.free.fr

I don't understand the part about VLC. You can use any player you want, if the picture encoded on the disc has black bars on, they will be on the snapshot too.
  3.  permalink
    Ok, I got it, now !
    With your explanations, I understand now why we should ALWAYS delete black bars before uploading our shot.
    That's a shock for me ! As my own uploads were closed to the original ratio of the movie, I thought it was never necessary to cut the black bars (at least for 2.35 movie). I even understand now why I had these vertical tiny black lines on each sides of the shot...
    So, I have to apology for all the words I had against Black-bars haters, I was wrong ! (Even the Morpheus-battery shot was not good enough, without deserving any delete-votes, nevertheless :p)
    Now I have few shots to edit... Thanks again, Monsieur Zob, I hope your two pages will have a [sticky] soon !