Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009
    @ astrododo : Yeah It could be nice if the almighty Naut could save this one (my shot muhaha:D)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited
    I don't want to complain, once again, about the system, the bad weather, my french president...

But could someone explain to me why, systematically, the first vote on my uploads is a... 1/10 ?

So folks, if you don't like me, please let me a dark and rude shout on my page, but don't vote badly on this shot (and this great movie...) http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26322
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    Hey lepaposaure, I have seen the same thing on a few of my recent uploads.

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26266

For example,. that picture was solved quickly, and had a single high vote. Think it was 8 or 9. I refreshed, and there were now 3 votes, and the score was at like 2 or 3. So those 2 votes must have been 1. I have noticed this on a few uploads.

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/25801

Is another one, the first 3 votes were one! I know rating a picture is subjective, but come on! Thankfully the score is an average, so it should even out after a while. I can only assume the "1s" are people who have pictures in the new submissions section, and are marking everyone else down to help their image go through. Or people dont like me also :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    I don't think it's true that everyone just goes and votes movies down because they don't know them... please just think about it, sometimes a shot that is absolutely awesome to you if you know the movie is just totally boring if you DON'T know the movie! And if many people do not know the movie, then of course, many people will give bad / mediocre votes, which are in their opinion justified because the shot is boring to them.

Also... WTM is for everyone, not just the diehard movie fans... Personally, I also believe the overall quality of screenshots was better with the old system, even though I was able to solve a lot less stills... But I think it's also nice to be able to solve many shots. This is obviously fun to people! They like to be able to solve a lot of shots, it's more fun to them than to look at pretty pictures of movies they do not know.

LePaposaure, I agree the movie is great, but I actually think this particular screenshot is mediocre. Of course I wouldn't vote it down, but I wouldn't vote it higher than 6 either. I believe there could have been funnier / more interesting moments to capture - does that make me a retard who only wants Pulp Fiction screenshots...?
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    connectiv, I'm not saying that people voting down for a shot are dummies or big commercial movie's fans.
    I just think NO shots deserve a 1/10. Perhabs they deserve a 2 or 3, because the shot is blurry or very dark, unviewable (but not enough for del-votes).

Ok, my shot is not awesome (I think it's one of the best unposted shot of the movie however).
    6/10 ? It's perfect for me ! 4/10, if you don't know the title or you want your own uploads go through before mine, that's OK !
    7/10 because you love the movie, like the shot or just because you have good mood and the sun is shinning, that's marvelous !
    But as themOOch says : "come one !" To vote a 1 after 2 minutes in the new subs, there's something insane in that behaviour !
    And I guess it's not innocent to the renunciation to the game by old members as Mimimi, Biglebowski or Dorisnight...

I bless almighty creators behaviours, admitting "bad shots" like http://whatthemovie.com/shot/25728 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/25840 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26088 , it's saving the game !
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    this early down-rating happens quite often lately.
    I remember getting two 1/10 votes on this one http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26022 for starters.
    sure, the shot isn't what I would call eyecandy, but like Papo said "NO shots deserve a 1/10".
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I think everyone who keeps track of the votes sometimes notices this. I think both shots them00ch posted are really great shots, no way you vote a 1 for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Yeah it shouldn't bother you really. Some people are idiots but most of the people know how to vote fairly so it all evens out in the long run. I think the most likely explanation is that people are just voting 1's just to try and help get their own shot through on score.
    • CommentAuthorDiedEnFreek
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009 edited
    After some really obvious Pulp Fiction shots, I just had to try to make it harder to find Pulp Fiction...

1. (forgot url) the close up of a young boy. Pulp Fiction. Found 95 times.
    2. The "I love you honey bunny" gun. Pulp Fiction.

About 10 times.
    3. The OD syrniges. Pulp Fiction.

About 25 times.

Congrats to those who found them. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2009
    Damn... The young boy was pretty easy in my opinion, but I didn't get the other two :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    congratulations. as I thougt: it is possible to post good shots from PF without one or more guys from the manicast in it.
    • CommentAuthorchecknorisk
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    I down vote to one point when the picture is too obvious, and when the stills is much too obvious, I recently began to vote for deletion.

I'm not coming on WTM to see nice shots that where allready published in all the magazines, I like to be puzzled by movie stills, and I thought it was the goal of the site.
    for me, the famoust scene of basic instinct don't do the job, nobody could say that such a still puzzled him.

I give under under five points if the main character is faced, and I rarely vote if I don't solve the picture.
    please, don't forget that WTM is a puzzle game... or let me clearly know that it isn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Checknorisk, I understand your intentions, but do not vote delete stills just because they are obvious. Obvious stills are not breaking the rules and the vote-delete is specifically only to be used on images which are blatantly breaking the rules.

There are enough people already mis-using the vote-deletes, please dont add to the problem. Voting 1 however is your prerogative and this is a better way of dealing with it. I personally also vote low if the picture is JUST a hadshot of the actor from the film, unless its a particularly nice shot for other reasons.

Remember though, whats easy for you may not be easy for someone else who hasnt seen the movie. While I am playing this I often ask my wife if she knows some of the easier stills. She hasnt seen a lot of movies so I usually test her with these "obvious" ones.

She DIDNT know the pulp fiction ones, and also didnt know the Sharon Stone one.

Admittedly she is probably in the minority but its almost arrogant to assume everyone else has the same knowledge of movies as you.

Also, as I have said in other posts, this site is used by a wide variety of people with different movie knowledge, and the site should be a balance of well known films, lesser known films, easier shots and harder shots. Some people (like my wife for example again :) ) would never play this game if it wasnt for the odd easy shot, she would never get ANY points.

Its getting the balance right between easier and harder shots which is the tough thing. I have to agree with you on your main point, I prefer harder shots that require a bit of detective work to resolve, but there is a place for easier shots as well, you have to look at the bigger picture, and you definitely shouldnt be using the vote delete for an image if its too obvious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    @checknorisk : WTM is a puzzle game, but a puzzle game for everyone ! So it's better if there are shots from different genres, eras of cinema, countries... Easy or not, we need every types of shot.
    Voting for deletion is not correct, as themOOch said, and I disagree with voting down a shot only because the main character is faced on it. Sometimes a shot with the main actor could be very nice, even if it's easy to solve.
    Don't forget the creators of the site wants a factor of "Awesomeness" for every shots.

@themOOch : perhabs you've found the perfect tools to define the categories of shot (easy/medium/hard) : your wife ! She can become a star in this website ! Please create a Memorabilia "themOOch's wife aprouve" ! :)
  1.  permalink
    I will continue to vote for deletion on verry obvious pics for 2 reasons

-the pics wont be cancelled, cause I'm the only one to vote (and till today it just happens twice)
    -too many good pics are eliminated for bad quality or other mysterious reason, they don't reach the FF. (who can expect a shaw brothers movie to get a bluray quality?)

I don't even hope that thoose pics could be cancelled, it's just to make know to others people that I disagree with thoose pics cause it's not funny, even if the shot is "awesome".

for me the perfect still is the one taken from a movie I haven't seen, but I can solve it with the clues it contains.
    ex:
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26581
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/24557

it's easy but it require a small amount of reflexion, I'm not asking for much.
  2.  permalink
    Well... if it's your idea of perfection... Anyway, I don't think moderators will agree with your idea of protest.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Checknorisk, your idea of what a good shot can be different than others, and this you should accept! This shouldn't be a reason for voting for deletion. This is not why this functionality exists. You can just vote low then but the voting for deletion is simply there to delete bad quality shots. It is true that too many people vote for bad quality when they shouldn't but that shouldn't be a reason for abusing also of the vote just because you want to make a point. There should be shots for everyone: I always like to post all kind of shots: famous and obvious, less famous, hard ones from a famous movie... I dont like also just a famous face but I simply vote them low, I wont vote them for deletion. And you must consider that people play this game for different reasons: puzzle is the main, but me, I also love seeing a beautifull shot which maybe easy if you've seen the movie. It maybe easy to you but not to others... And it is also a good way to discover new movies you haven't seen (the puzzled ones often dont give this). You have to accept that people have different taste and different ideas on what shots they like. Bottomline is: it is really unjustified to vote for deletion for the reason you explain. And as Le Paposaure said, I'm pretty sure the admins will agree with this too... so please dont vote for deletion if the shots don't violate any rules!
    OK voting for deletions in this case is unfair, but I only did it twice, for extreme obvious pics, but what's boring is the pictures vanishing before to reach the FF.

if the snapshot difficulty filter were working, we could keep all thoose nice pics from rare movies, that usualy finish to crap, and people who do prefer mainstream blockbusters could set it on easy to get only the obvious shots.

I'm far from being a good player at WTM, verry far from the hall of fame, so please don't consider my remark as pretentious (I'm sure I've lost a bunch of points on movies the majority will consider as obvious). it's just because you can make nonsense bad quality vote, but you don't have a strong way to express yourself when you disagree with some pics like the one with sharon stone. some seem to consider it has to be on WTM just because it's one of the famoust scene in all the 90' movies, and I think it's a real bad reason.

sorry for my english, It seems to be worse every year...
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I agree with you in some way, to be honnest I also didn't like the sharon stone pic but unfortunately we have to live with it, there will always be shots like this one, the problem is not having these easy shots, the problems is that there should be more hard ones too, that's the main problem, hard shots or easy shots from less known movies have a real difficult time to go through. But there is hope for changes. Hopefully the new token system the admins will be implementing will improve things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Checknorisk said:
    "but you don't have a strong way to express yourself when you disagree with some pics like the one with sharon stone"

Very soon the shout box will be open on all stills even if you havent solved it, so if you really feel like you have to "express yourself" about a particular still, you will be able to do it there. I would however strongly advise you not to berate image submitters for submitting pictures that are not violating rules.

You said yourself, "I'm sure I've lost a bunch of points on movies the majority will consider as obvious". It works both ways. Just because YOU consider something obious, does not mean eevryone does. Yes there are easier stills than others, but we need that balance on this site or only die hard movie buffs would play. Why shouldnt a very famous image be part of this site? Especially if it looks awesome. Im going to pimp one of my own pictures here:

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26507

Yes its easy (for us older folks especially ;) ) but the picture, in my opinion, is so awesome it totally deserves a place on the site. If you wish to vote a 1 because it is so easy, thats OK by me, its your choice and voting is subjective. However I wouldnt be happy if you voted to delete it for the same reason.

Like Chrisy has said, at present there is a slight bias towards easier stills on the site, hopefully the token system coming up will change this for the better. Dont get me wrong, I personally prefer harder stills, but I also like the easier ones also, as long as the balance is right. Its nice to get an easy point when you have just looked at 20 pictures you dont know :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    I like an easy still when it puts a smile on my face, like the one from them00ch and the controversial Batman shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I think I missed something, whats the controversial batman shot?

NM: think I found it : http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26338

hehe
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    Exactly ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    lol look at the tags

nm: they have been deleted :)
    @them00ch: about http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26507 you see I'm not as tough as I seem to be, I gave a 5 ;-)

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26612#

"guess the title of this depicted movie"

is it anything to guess there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I agree with you, but you have used a vote delete again. Vote it low, leave a shout on the picture, or on the uploaders profile. I feel you shouldnt be using a vote delete for this, its not breaking rules.

I think in this case a low vote is justified :) Not a particularly interesting shot and certainly not a challenge. The rule I try to follow, if you are going to make it an easy shot, at least make sure the picture is awesome and interesting to look at :)

Remember there is a fine line between easy and obvious. I showed my friend from work my picture this morning http://whatthemovie.com/shot/26507 and he thought it was Airplane! :)
    i think it's finally breaking a rule, the tagline of the site is :"guess the movie by the snapshot" and this still does not leave anything to guess ;-)

them00ch said :"Remember there is a fine line between easy and obvious. I showed my friend from work my picture this morning ->link<- and he thought it was Airplane! :) "

I told you, this pic is not so obvious I gave it a 5.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    Well, they were right, the same scene is in Airplane!
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    kind of :) No battling girl scouts in the back though :)
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited
    All I can say is, since we introduced the vote-delete queue, we agreed a 100% with all the delete-votes.
    Not a single case where we put a snapshot back in the game.

EDIT
    one just popped in:

the 5 reasons are as follows:
    # Ren : Somebody doesn't know this film ? Please raise your hand !
    # checknorisk : agree with ren, the only challenge is how many "C"
    # jusabbaga : it's him.
    # cy : Too humiliating for those who don't guess
    # Jota : Hate snapshots like this one

the shot doesn't violate any rules. what do you think? blast it or (re)cast it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009
    Yeah that one was discussed up there^^^^

Its your call Naut. There is nothing in the rules to say you cannot upload a REALLY obvious still, so I personally think its unfair to delete on that basis. However, I kind of agree with peoples cmoplaints that this image is just TOO easy.

But I think the ratings should decide, because where is the line? What makes something TOO easy? I would say the couple of Pulp Fiction shots that are just headshots of Sam Jackson and Travolta are just as easy as this one, but they went through OK. I am just worried if we allow this one to be deleted because its TOO easy, we are opening the floodgates. "too easy" will be the next "black bars" or "bad quality" vote delete.

Everyone should start learning to vote these stills low in future. Not because its easy, but because its easy AND it is quite a poor uninteresting shot IMO.

Easy + boring to look at = bad shot, but shouldnt be deleted just cos its easy.

Thas my opinion anyway for what its worth :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    I have the feeling this problem is solving itself. More and more difficult/interesting stills are submitted, and as I play only in "New Submissions" this is good. So leave the easy ones, and vote low if you feel like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    Should be reloaded.
    This shot, as easy as it is, has its place in the site (and the firing finger is pretty cool, indeed).

Deletion-votes against it because it's "too easy" sound like snob behaviours from people who think the site should only be for cinema-addicted.

Think about young players, or just casual viewers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    It's not violating any rules. 'Nuf said ;)
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    I totally agree with Them00ch, pspan, LePaposaure and Deviant. It shouldn't be deleted!
    as I said to freddelgado, when I vote to delete thoose obvious shots, I don't expect them to be removed from the site. I'm just upset when thoose pictures reach the FF and so much good ones are deleted before.
    kind of a protest...
    a few messages above, chrisy said: "the problem is not having these easy shots, the problems is that there should be more hard ones too, that's the main problem" I feel it exactly like that.
    as someone wrote in the shoutbox of this still, what sort of tag can we put on such a picture except pinocchio? it illustrate how absurd it is to let a picture like this in the FF.
    sorry to repeat myself, but if we refer to WTM as a game, this picture is not for playing, so it violate the rules somewhere.

according to the snob behaviour, please visit my profile, you'll see i'm not a hall of fame crack, I've no reasons to be proud of anything.
    I don't judge the persons, but the stills. and I would be happy if you could do the same, LePaposaure.
    • CommentAuthorLiquidTV
    Quote Them00ch: "Everyone should start learning to vote these stills low in future. Not because its easy, but because its easy AND it is quite a poor uninteresting shot IMO.
    Easy + boring to look at = bad shot, but shouldnt be deleted just cos its easy."

That should go for hard shots too... hard + boring to look at = bad shot too imo
    And I'm not mentioning names, but some people should have that vote-delete button removed ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    @checknorisk:
    Then give it a low rating. If enough users think the same way like you, then the rating will do the rest anyways. If not, it deserves a place in the FF. But a vote for deletion should be ONLY used if the shot violates any rules and that is simply not the point in this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Seconding what Deviant says, although it has been expained about 10 times already now, feel like banging my head against a wall :)

Checknorisk you say "I don't expect them to be removed from the site." so why vote delete? What do you think this button is for if it isnt to "remove from the site". If you wish to make some sort of protest, do it in a shout, on the profile, in the forums like everyone else does. Only use the vote delete for images which are breaking the rules of uploading in some way.

And saying "I am only 1 vote" doesnt cut it, as this 1 vote then encourages others to vote delete. People are more likely to do something if they feel someone else is backing them up, so to speak.

The uploading rules are as follows:

1. Take the snapshot yourself!
    Don‘t rip it from elsewhere
    How to take a snapshot?
    2. Use the original DVD to take the snapshot; We won't accept low quality!
    3. You are not able to post more than 2 snapshots of the same movie and have more than 3 snapshots simultaneously in the category New Submissions. Read more about this subject here
    4. Don‘t post the same or a similar shot, which has already been posted at wtm
    5. No snapshots from trailers, tv broadcasts or movies which are not yet availiable on DVD; No Porn; No racist material; No unsuitable content

you seem to have invented another rule which says "if we refer to WTM as a game, this picture is not for playing, so it violate the rules somewhere."

If the rules get changed to say "no easy screrenshots" then vote deletes are the way to handle it. If they stay as they are, a forum post, shout etc.. is the way to express yourself. To quote deviant - 'nuff said ;)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    too easy is not a reason to vote for deletion

if it was...

then we can vote for all the pictures with only the actor in the photo, all the persepolis, scanner darkly, etc.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Them00ch said "feel like banging my head against a wall"

Same here.....

Really, just vote it low if you dont like a shot and find it too easy.... Deleting this shot would be the door open to all deletion votes for what some consider too easy...
    why vote for deletion rather than ordinary vote? well it's simple
    with ordinary vote nobody noticed the trouble, delete vote is stronger even if it's inappropriate, I've even seen some uploaders answering to the deleter in the delete vote box, voting themselves against their own stills...

and i'm not the new public ennemy, I've only vote three times to delete, and two of the movies are still in the FF. just the pinocchio was deleted because 4 others thought that it was too much. I don't regreat it disapears anyway, the shoutbox was pleasant to read, but the still was verry poor. the fact it disapears that unfair way is a clue, you don't mind?

but you're right, I will stop to do this if you fear an epidemic phenomen. I don't want to be a source of trouble, just make some troubles to be noticeable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    checknorisk, we all understand your intentions but you seem to be ignoring what we are saying.

The vote delete is only to be used for when an image breaks the rules. These images were not breaking any rules, other than rules you have made up. That should be the end of it.

Yes, people have had to use a vote delete on their own pictures, but this is a desperate measure used to defend themselves from a ridiculous vote in the first place, to try and stop further votes.

you are right, you are not the new public enemy, this is only a debate, no-one has any problem with you personally. However you may find yourself the new public enemy if you continue to vote delete in this manner :)

Please do not vote delete on any more pictures unless you want the image to be removed for violating the rules.

Im not going to say any more on this now because we seem to be going round in circles and its making me dizzy :)

EDIT: you added another line at the end of your post while I was typing that :)
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    to quote Deviant: 'nuff said.

thanks for all your opinions on this matter and since the snapshot doesn't violate any rules and it isn't terribly bad, we'll let it pass.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    Edit : nuff said...
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    so, you want to have the last word on this Papo? ;-)
  3.  permalink
    I edited my long novel about life, death and wood-boys with long noses, just after having seen the Big Chief's message :)
  4.  permalink
    checknorisk --> 6 Uploads
    jusabbaga --> 0 Upload
    cy --> 0 Upload
    Jota --> 16 Uploads

Maybe we shouldn't give too much power to people who don't contribute at all ! I mean it kinda pisses me off when I see some of my uploads who don't manage to go to FF because it has only 6.5/10... Just because some guys who don't lift a finger to help the site think it's funny to vote 1/10 on my screenshot even though it has nothing wrong...
    Look at "La Strada" I uploaded a good screenshot of it, it's pretty easy (even though only 52x) I have the DVD jacket right in front of me, but it has only 6.44/10 and won't make it to the FF so we're stuck having only ONE screenshot of this Fellini's masterpiece on WTM... Why? Because some guys gave it a 1/10 !? For no legitimate reason.
  5.  permalink
    6.44 was not a so bad note. It could be gone in FF in another moment. What a pity... Repost another shot, it's a great movie !
    I thought that nuff said means that it was enough...

@ theoffice911: don't mix all please:
    first: I upload 8 pictures, you can see 2 of them in new submissions, Ok it's no much but I usually rent the DVD for short periods and I rarely find something interresting for WTM. to me, it's better than add another boring shot of Dr starngelove.
    second: have you rode the reasons why I voted for the deletion of 3 pictures? I guess not, and it's my turn to be pissed off...
    third: I gave a 8 to your still of la strada, like each time it's an old or rare movie, even if the main character is faced.
    fourth: I removed all my deletion votes.

so, read the thread if you have time to lose, and now I think enough is enough.