Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpadvinder95
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009 edited
    .. then disable your ad blocker. I don't know why, but mine (adblock for FF) did block some stills before I turned it off. I was always wondering why people would post all-black pictures and others would know what movie it was, heh.

See [url]http://pauw.student.utwente.nl/adblocker.jpg[/url] for screenshots showing this effect.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2009
    If the image doesnt show up, you see text saying something like "solve this movie snapshot" in the place of the image.

The reason that person is seeing nothing but black is because the image you have uploaded *is* incredibly black. I had to highlight it with my mouse to even see the heart. CRT's probably wont have the issue but LCDs with low contrast ratios will probably not be able to see your picture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpadvinder95
    Actually, if your ad blocker blocks the image, it also blocks the alternate text, which is indeed "guess this movie snapshot".

It is true that the image I uploaded is really dark (can't help it, it's the movie :p). I suppose that old LCDs or LCDs with low contrast setting will have trouble displaying it; my laptop screen does fine, but on the few-year-old LCD monitor connected to it, it is indeed pretty dark. Oh well, it probably wouldn't have gotten through anyway ;-)

However, while people voting delete on my upload was the event that triggered me posting this, it isn't the only reason. It is still true that when I do not disable my ad blocker, some images are blocked and I only see the black of the box.

See [url]http://pauw.student.utwente.nl/adblocker.jpg[/url] for screenshots :)

them00ch, you may lecture me about WTM customs, my deleting behaviour and the like, because I realize I'm a newbie here, but I do know my HTML and stuff ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Dont get so defensive man :) . I know "html and stuff" too, its my job. I dont use an adblocker though, so I am not aware of how they would behave exactly. I guess the "guess this movie snapshot" test is the alt-text for the image in some way, so I suppose it makes sense that it would also be blocked. Anyway if its blocking standard inline images in a browser it must be pretty crappy or misconfigured in some way :)

But I read between the lines and knew you were just talking about your image that people had vote-deleted because it was so dark. I was just saying that while you may be right about ad-blockers, that was not the reason that particular image got votes.

No lecture intended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    As your image has been deleted now, posting it here for discussion's sake so people know what we are talking about, hope you dont mind.

I am on my work PC now which is a fairly high contrast CRT, and I must admit I am still having trouble seeing it unless I drag-highlight it with my mouse :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    I'm not sure if there's black bars though.....
  1.  permalink
    Yeah I think we should delete for black bars, just to be sure ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    its one massive black bar :p
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    Hm, I don't have a problem with the lighting on my laptop, and I actually solved the shot because of the reflection of the actress. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Dont get me wrong, its going to be entirely down to monitor setup, brightness, gamma, contrast etc. which is why I didnt grade it or vote for delete. I knew it was probably my end. As the movie was deleted though I guess other people also couldnt see it.

I wouldnt vote for delete because of something like that. As usual though people are too quick to delete.