Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009
    Ok, there's a bunch of movies I just can't remember the title of no matter how hard I think about it... most of them just popped into my mind over the time and it makes me mad I can't remember the titles!

1. black and white movie about an older student who falls in love with a much younger student (a child still), school authorities find out about them, so the older boy is pressured into breaking up their relationship, resulting in the young boy's suicide. I think it was a french one, not sure.

2. a young man who is a worker at some sort of factory runs off with a young woman, they start doing farm work for a rich, but sick land owner. they make plans for the woman to marry the landowner, hoping he'll die soon and leave them rich. he recovers though and finds out about them. can't remember how it ended

3. story about a little girl in iraq? iran? arabia? (sorry for my ignorance, it's one of those countries where women are treated as inferior), her mother dresses her up as a boy so she can work and earn money, she ends up in a training camp though where they train little boys to be soldiers. ultimately, they find out she's not a boy and she's sold to some rich guy and ends up in his harem

4. the story follows a couple of young kids in the slums, I think it takes place in india. those boys are all poor, they steal and fight with other kids at some playground. one of the boys is befriended by an old fisherman and starts working for him on his boat, can't remember any more details.

5. a gangster movie, an older one, about a couple of bank robbers holing up in a family's house, they take the family as hostages. I remember the police were shooting at them in the end from the neighbor's house, can't remember much else

Thanks in advance ;)
    • CommentAuthorpnktchen
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009
    # 3: Osama (2003), an afghan movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368913/
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited
    # 5 : The Desperate Hours (1955)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047985/
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2009 edited
    # 2 : Days of Heaven (1978)

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000517/

Not totally sure...
    • CommentAuthorastrododo
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009
    In a few days...
    Oh look, a shot from connectiv
    **Guesses Osama**
    **Guesses The Desperate Hours**
    **Guesses Days of Heaven**
    **Finally looks at screenshot**

Seriously though, it's great that so many movie lovers congregate on these boards. It's a great resource that I'm sure I will make use of in the future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2009 edited
    Yes thanks guys, you're amazing! Those 3 were right, gonna save the titles somewhere :D

@astrodo, I rarely post screenshots because I own only a handful of dvds myself, those three movies are not among them. Although I might use my boyfriend's more extensive collection of movies in the future to post more screenshots, I doubt these movies are among his collection because he doesn't like movies like these - too "alternative", as he would call it :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    Does anyone know #1 or #4...?

I remembered one more movie I've forgotten the title of, I'm sure you guys know it:

6. I think this one is pretty famous, it's an old one about a teacher who is at a pretty bad school, all other teachers have long given up, but he tries to actually get the kids to learn something. I remember there was a scene where the kids beat up him and another teacher pretty badly. And he was engaged or married to a pretty young girl, they tried to make her think that he had an affair with one of the female teachers. And there was some black kid who was actually one of the decent guys, but the teacher was prejudiced against him at first.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2009
    6. I would suggest Blackboard Jungle (or Class of 1984 ?)
    • CommentAuthorchecknorisk
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009 edited
    your n°1 seem to be that one, from the Roger Peyrefitte's famous novel:

Les amitiés particulières
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057842/

I'm not shure but the n°4 looks like salaam bombay
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096028/
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2009
    Yes! Blackboard Jungle is the one, thank you.

Les amitiés particulières is also correct - no wonder I couldn't remeber the title lol.

Salaam Bombay doesn't seem to be the one I was looking for, but then my description was probably pretty bad, since I do not remember the film very well, just little bits and pieces.

But thanks everyone, all other ones have been solved :)
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009 edited
    here's another one for you.. i know it's not my topic but let's call it no.7

black and white movie.. guessing from the 50's, only seen the last half or something like that.. a couple of people trapped in a diner or (very large) gass station or something.. it's along a desert road and there's a sand storm..They can't leave.. think there were about 5 people or something plus 2 gangsters... they all had to stick in the place... cn't remember much more.. also can't remember the ending.. think i fell asleep.. was on tcm one night and would like to see it in full, oh yeah.. i think one guy wanted to die and defied those evil gangsters.. and some woman wanting to stop them or something.. god this was long ago.. details are slowly coming to me though!
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    hmmm been a long time but could that be Key Largo?
    • CommentAuthorDiedEnFreek
    I also have one! I saw it decades ago, and I've never been able to figure out the title again. It's a movie about a sunken ship, the people on it are still alive, with a doctor who - if i remember correctly - administers death. A diving team discovers this boat and sets out to save a few of the people on it. The ending of the movie is that one of the rescued ones finally sees the sun for the very first time while sitting in a modern diving clock.

I think it's a b-movie..

Anyone?
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    "hmmm been a long time but could that be Key Largo? "

looks like you are right!! THANKS :)

and for the sunken ship movie... could this one be Goliath Awaits??
  1.  permalink
    @connectiv: your N°4 taking place in india, is it a color movie or a black and white one?
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2009
    It's color.
    •  
      CommentAuthorerkmd
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009
    I need some help too: I only remember one scene of this movie and it is here in WTM: two knights fighting, one of them cut the other's arm with his sword, then he cuts the other arm, the one leg then the other leg...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    Monty Python and the holy grail
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited
    IT'S JUST A FLESHWOUND!
    •  
      CommentAuthorholynoise
    All right, we'll call it a draw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorerkmd
    that's right, Muten, thanks a lot. I saw this scene ages ago and it never got out of my head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.........
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2009 edited
    I wave my testicals in your aunties direction!, this movie rules!
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2009
    I'm trying to remember the title of a movie. It's set in the 1970s or 80s or so, in the woods somewhere in the USA. A group of families have decided to move away from civilisation and start a sort of 'back-to-nature'/Quaker-kind of sect. No one is allowed to leave the colony. In fact, who ever tries to cross the woods to reach the outside world is killed by some mysterious monster dressed in red. One girl tries anyhow and in the process reveals some secret about the sect leaders.
  2.  permalink
    The Village?
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    That's fast! And yes, spot on. Thanks! :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    aha, just remember a still like that. Ill go search it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited
    I'm looking for an old movie, certainly in B & W. I can't remember the details, but I'm sure to have seen it from a DVD release.

It's the story of a man, who has a desease (don't remember exactly what). During the film, he's accompanied by a woman, a doctor and a sort of angel.
    But the most remarquable part of the movie is that the man is able to approach death during his worst illness moments, and he can see and talk with many celebrities in this parallel world. At the end of the film, a big trial is organized, and he has to convince the jury that he's a good man to go back safety on earth.

Any idea, folks ?
    • CommentAuthorchecknorisk
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited
    it looks like this one: A Matter of Life and Death
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038733/

the guy (david niven) is an injuried war pilot during WWII.

you'll get the point ;-)

an alternative title is "starway to heaven", watch the tags...
  3.  permalink
    Yes of course !! Michael Powell !! How have I forgot it ?! What a good film, indeed !
    Thanks checknorisk, you were very fast !
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009
    I just read the synopsis of this movie (A Matter of Life and Death), and thought I would buy it. Found it on Amazon...

"1 Used & new from £100.23"

Perhaps I will pass....
    •  
      CommentAuthorMuten
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2009
    Another one I just remembered but forgot the title...

About some teenage girl who wants to experience her first time or something.
    Um, there was something about dildos, one scene where she used a dildo in the bathroom, they shot that scene from the ground, showing the lamp on the bathroom ceiling.
    And in another scene she she and a friend were dancing and swinging a dildo.

Actually, the dildo scenes are about the only ones I can remember lol. Anyone know this one? :P
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    •  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    Err.. no, I'm looking for a film, not a screenshot. But yeah, that's dildos lol Oo
  4.  permalink
    Hi,

I'm looking for the title of a movie that I saw on tv when I was a kid. Must have been around 1990.
    It's about a boy that goes on an adventure.
    I remember some details:
    He jumps a bridge that isn't whole on a horse.
    He gets put in a cellar and escapes (with an invisibility cloak if I remember correctly)
    The bad guy gets stabt in the end, turns to stone and a dove is released.
    I know the beginning too, but then i would have to describe a shot, so i won't

Can somebody help please?
    • CommentAuthornutria
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009
    @guustflaterke
    sounds like "Mio min Mio" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093543/
  5.  permalink
    That's it thanks.
    And the shot was indeed from that film