Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorconnectiv
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009
    Some things seem to appear over and over again in the posted screenshots... Be it Johnny Depp or pulp fiction ;)
    So what kind of recurring screenshot annoys you the most?

For me, it'd be Jay and Silent Bob shots. Ok, I know many people find those guys funny, but I think 90% of the Jay and Silent Bob shots are boring and I have no patience to look up which of their movies this one might have been.
  1.  permalink
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    I'm sick of comments in the shots complaining about the amount of shots from the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2009 edited
    Have to second the Jay and Silent Bob headshots. I dont mind Kevin Smith films, but Im sure you could find something more interesting than just their faces over.. and over... and over..

Dev, you could never upload enough 2*** shots ;)
    • CommentAuthorLachinator
    I have exactly the same opinion as connectiv! I'm also tired of looking up their films to get the solution and the point.
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    I have seen way to many 300 shots. Haven't seen the movie, but the camera view is so specific, that anyone can solve the stills.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    same with a scanner darkly
    • CommentAuthormarisk8
    and Sin City
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    and Vals Im Bashir
    and Renaissance
    and Persepolis
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    The Spirit
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009 edited
    i think there are way too many easy shots of well known movies lately.

i don't have a problem with shots like these: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/25135 right, everyone probably knows the answer right away. nevertheless, the shot kind of has an artistic look and captures one of the key scenes of the movie. another example: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/23040 everyone can reduce the number of possible answers to 4 (although there is a small clue that points to the right one), but after all, this is an iconic scene in one of the most influential movie franchises of all times, so it kind of deserves to be on wtm.

on the other hand, i really dislike shots like http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22928 or http://whatthemovie.com/shot/22954 because they don't look like the uploader put some effort into them. if you have to post snapshots, that basically only feature the head of a well known actor, at least try to be a bit creative! this one's a good example: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/28760 yet again, easy, but it kind of captures the feel of the movie.
    • CommentAuthorLiquidTV
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2009
    Jim Carrey.
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    batman.

I hate batman.
    all of them.
  2.  permalink
    Are you the Jocker ? :p
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    well...

if I had to choose between jocker and batman, I'd definitively take Jocker !
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    "I hate batman.
    all of them."

Blasphemy!
    :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    I'm sick of Ferris Bueller's Day Off. You see a red jersey, you know the answer.
    And I definitely join connectiv with Jay and Silent Bob.
    •  
      CommentAuthorerkmd
    I don't like when within a few days only people post two or three stills from the same movie.
    It seems they think: "Oh, I also have the DVD from this movie, let me post one shot!"
    • CommentAuthorguzo
    Harry Potter 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12

Now everytime I see a shot with more than 200 solved I try all the Harry Potters and 9 times out of 10, it works!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    hooray for the new spelling check, just typing harry potter will work for all sequels too :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBarto
    I immediately recognize Harry Potter because the titles are available in over 10 languages. No other movie has that many foreign alternative titles :)
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    [quote]
    hooray for the new spelling check, just typing harry potter will work for all sequels too :)
    [/quote]

I'll have to make it work for batman too !

and pirate of the .. what was it again ?
    • CommentAuthorchecknorisk
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009 edited
    C.A.R.I.B.B.E.A.N, one R, two B... I type it so often, that I'll still spell it right with alzheimer's disease in my retirement home...

I'm sick of kubrick's shots, and shouts about kubrick's shots too. those beginning by "best director..." and finishing by "...ever"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009
    Best director EVER. fact.
    • CommentAuthorLachinator
    Yep, Deviant is absolutely right!
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    How can you be sick of Kubrick shots? No matter what you think of him as a director, the guy was the master of composition! Every shot could be a still on WTM. Why do you think there are so many?
  3.  permalink
    Can we ban people who don't like Kubrick ?? lol I'm kidding checknorisk ! He's the best director of all-time and that's it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    So, that's the last time anybody says the're sick of Kubrick....... Love him, except Eyes Wide Shut. Sorry. Shoot me.
  4.  permalink
    Bud Spencer shots.
    kubrick's not the problem, it's his fans
    I like some of his movies and some other not, but I think there is a quite boring devotion around him, some of you think he is god or something like this. and there is definitely too much pics from 2001 and Dr strangelove.
    it's boring caus' its highly recognizable, and you know that below the pics there'll be 15 shouts repeating "great shot!" "great movie" and "kubrick is god!"

did someone calculate how many pics from kubrick's movies we have on WTM? could be interresting, I'm ready to bet he is the winner.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I repeat, is it any real surprise that movies which are largely considered by many real critics to be some of the greatest pictures ever made, are represented so well on WTM?

And while we are talking about shouts, Im sick of people criticizing peoples uploads. If you havent got anything nice to say, just vote low and move on. Its so impolite to tell the uploader "too easy" or "boring" or "not another one" or something like that. Of course I was bought up to have manners, YMMV. Not directed at anyone in particular of course.
    "Not directed at anyone in particular of course. "
    of course... by the way, why not suppressing the "shout is crap"? that insn't done when people have manners.

"movies which are largely considered by many real critics to be some of the greatest pictures ever made"
    that could be disscussed, but it's not the place and I'm not interrested in.
    I think it's one of the first director thinking to his movies as a succession of stills, that mean you can stop the movie at quite any moment and get a aesthetic shot, in that way there is a before and an after kubrick. and it's a reason why there is many stills on WTM.
    But movies are emotions beyond aesthetics, and I'm not so sensitive to kubrick's emotions. and finally I don't really care about what "real critics" said.

edit: I missed your earlier message, so you see we can agree on some points, and to answer to your question, I'm sick of caus' 2001 and Dr strangelove are too easily recognizable. when on WTM I like to play...
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    re: kubrick shots.

I get that you arent particularly keen on Kubrick, that is not what is being discussed. I am just trying to explain why there are so many Kubrick shots. To use your own words;

"think it's one of the first director thinking to his movies as a succession of stills, that mean you can stop the movie at quite any moment and get a aesthetic shot"

THAT is why there are so many stills on WTM, you said it yourself. We are not discussing a films emotional context, this is a site about movie stills. And Kubrick films are a veritable Smörgåsbord of potential movie stills. Wow. I used Smörgåsbord in a forum post :)
  5.  permalink
    "Wow. I used Smörgåsbord in a forum post :) "

I was a bet or something ? Anyway, thank you, your word made me hungry ! It's lunch time !!
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Perhaps 2001 and Dr strangelove are too easily recognisable, you may be right there. But they are always great shots, and thats whats important. I didnt get a single solve on my "killers kiss" upload though. and I think 1 person got my "the killing" still, so Kubrick isnt THAT saturated here yet.

If I see another bad boys shot I will scream.
  6.  permalink
    3rd time: "I'm sick of caus' 2001 and Dr strangelove are too easily recognizable. when on WTM I like to play... " and it's true for others kubrick's movies like paths of glory, clockwork orange or shining

;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    There is a 1 shot/movie/week restriction. So we have ONE shot of 2001/Pirates/300/... per week. I think that's a fair deal. People who like these shots are still happy and people who don't should be happy, too. I don't see any problem at all.
    I wouldn't mind if people would stop uploading these boring Jay and Silent Bob shots, but I don't care, because there are enough other shots.
  7.  permalink
    oops... sorry, were writing as you post it.

if I have a few hours free, I 'll calculate how many kubrick's shots are in the archives, could be funny, but i presume it represents only 60% of all the kubrick's shots available on WTM including the FF and new submissions
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    To post some archive examples to show that not all kubrick shots are instantly recognisable:

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/717 -38 solves
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/948 - 37 solves

edit: even one of the most iconic images from the movie http://whatthemovie.com/shot/13596 has only 200 solves after 8 months in the archive. That really isnt many.

Also, even the so called "easy ones" from 2001 have only 200 to 300 solves in the archive, when the really easy shots often have almost 1000 solves by that point. I think that, because YOU consider the shots to be easy, you are assuming that they are easy for everyone else. This isnt the case. I think I have mentioned to you before, do not assume everyone has the same movie knowledge as you. And yes there are a lot of stills from this movie, because

1) They all look amazing.
    2) Its one of the greatest films ever made (arguable I know but general consensus)
    take it easy, it's only cinema... someone asked what's makes me sick of and I answered. it's my feeling and you can't go against.
    ok, you've found 3 not so easy stills in the bunch, and your devotion to Kubrick didn't failed.

I'm ready to see other kubrick's shots in the future, and I won't stop playing for that
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    I am taking it easy, although I must admit your tone of writing often makes that difficult ;)

Obviously you are entitled to your opinion, no one can take that away, and I respect that. The problem is that when we all made *joke* comments that you were wrong, you then, in my mind, insulted people who were quite obviously fans,

"kubrick's not the problem, it's his fans" and "I think there is a quite boring devotion around him, some of you think he is god or something like this."

So I hope you can understand why I was defensive ;) That comment was clearly provocative.

Anyway, the thread is being seriously derailed here, so lets put an end to it here. I have a bunch of Kubrick shots I am going to dedicate to you when I have some upload slots free :)
  8.  permalink
    you read my words but you have to imagine the tone, it's the main source of misunderstandings on forums, and english is not my birth language, this does not help.
    sorry again, I'll put a candle at St Stanley's for you ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    heh :P I hardly think he is a saint, just think he made good movies, and is one of my favourite directors amongst many others. Certainly much better than the majority of tripe that comes out.

Anyway glad thats sorted. On with the thread.
    • CommentAuthorAntituur
    Close-ups of eyes
    Funny animals in animation movies
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    actually, all face shots. Unless there is something really cool in it like this http://whatthemovie.com/shot/28508
  9.  permalink
    guns, held in the camera.

obvious AND uncool/boring
    • CommentAuthorMaria555
    yeah, guns, and explosions
    most of the time, boring.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRedvex
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    Sin City
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    hot fuzz
    hot fuzz
    hot fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I just saw another in the SM
    • CommentAuthormarisk8
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    i know this is not the appropiate topic but, i'm wondering why my shot of a girl sitting in a boat in a bikini, with a sword between her legs got deleted.
    thanks!