Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorShayah
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010
    Wow, I totally agree with Asmodai, we sure don't need to point out "bad raters", if ever it should happen on WTM, I'll quit the site in less than 3 seconds! I'm here to have fu and not to take part to any kind of vendetta! Also, I don't think anyone can decide who is a good or bad rater, it's all about personal taste as someone said before. Mods are doing a great job about it and I think we should go on like this and let them identify the obvious unfair behaviours.
    And last, I think it could be a good idea to hide the current rating until it goes through to the FF (or not) not to be influenced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I agree with the previous posters. I think hiding the votes in the new submissions could be a good idea (except for posters), and showing them as soon as you have voted could be very incitative to vote. Better than giving bucks.
    • CommentAuthorVinceNet
    Yeah, I reckon it sounds a bit too much vendetta and it's not a good idea. I still think having an average rate on profile would help the admins.

Hiding the ratings while in the new submissions might avoid the problem of people just rating where the last star is
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Hmm... but if people rate where the last star is, I can quickly rate all my shots 10 as soon as I post them, and get a 10 average? :D Cool, I'm gonna try, and if it doesn't work, it's your fault!
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Are you saying you are not rating all your shots 10 ? :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Not as soon as I post them :P Because of this; people will easier vote 9 or lower if a shot is already rated 10 average. All psychology, mate ;)
    • CommentAuthoranestie
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2010 edited
    not all people vote where the last star is. but many do, especially if the snapshot has many votes.

i think we should hide hours remaining, how many votes a snapshot has, and the average. all this with a simple code can be visible to the voter after they have voted.

I'm not saying this is gonna solve the problem 100%, but i think the mods could give it a try and check it out. it might make things more honest at least
    • CommentAuthoranestie
    some people also noticed that most voters are after the bucks. true! but i don't understand - why on earth anyone would be able to vote for deletion of a snapshot just because they have voted on that amount of snapshots! it's ridiculous.
    maybe a thing we can do to stop the buck chasers is to combine the rankings with how many solves in general they have. not only ff solves but in general. lets say you cannot use your powers as a rank 3 unless you have solved X amount of snapshots. this is gonna prevent somehow people from voting recklessly. the motivation is not as high this way because it's not only related to the votes but also the snapshots one has solved.

again, maybe this is the wrong topic for this, but i just saw the buck chasing thing and i had to post it!

peas.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010 edited
    I don't think there is really a problem with unfair voting behavior. There was one in the beginning of WTM 2. But with the start of this thread in October 2009 things changed to the better. My ratings went up for almost 1 point on average. And since then I didn't notice any substantial deteriorations. Sure there are up and downs but that's part of the game. And since October even my rejected snapshots almost never were rated below six and most of the times they got a 6.5+. So even if there are some unfair votings they will even out, otherwise you should observe more average ratings below 5. Even when looking at the snapshots of the day you'll find high ratings of unknown movies with only a few solves:

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/55778 --> 53 solves, 8.79 rating, 18 favs
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/57525 --> 41 solves, 8.57 rating, 17 favs
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/54403 --> 27 solves, 8.71 rating, 13 favs
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/58358 --> 9 solves, 8.78 rating, 4 favs
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/59728 --> 8 solves, 8.43 rating, 14 favs

I think the problem is that it is very frustrating to see one's own taste isn't appreciated by the majority. I had shots rejected of well-known movies with a low rating of which I was sure they would receive at least an 8 rating. On the other hand I had shots of unknown movies getting insanely high ratings of which I was convinced they would need the benevolent hand of a moderator to get through.

So give the majority what the majority wants. And to keep it interesting for all the others we have thank god the moderators who do a tremendous job. I mean I'm sticking around here for almost one and half year and still am not bored :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2010
    @fungus: Totally agree with you , it's hard to figure what the majority likes and sometimes you don't get why your shot get a that high/low score.
  1.  permalink
    Well, I think it actually IS unfair - the way some people want to throw someone's else snapshot down - but that's kinda hard to control. In one way or another we gotta trust on some community sense of "justice", I mean, trust that people do believe they're raing things right. But I have to confess it kinda gets me sick sometimes, when I see some really beautiful shots (and many times I just wanna say "wow!" though I have no idea where they come from) get mediocre ratings and any blockbuster movie shot gets a higher rating just because it's easy to figure out or dunno why. Sometimes we spend quite some time trying to get the perfect angle of that one frame that is not blurry in an action scene, and then it's like fungus said, it's frustrating when it's pushed down.

Editted: I always thought it was somewhat unfair and maybe even against some rule to vote your own snapshot o.o I'm a bit confused about that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    @ SunsetWalker
    Don't spend too much time thinking about the vote on your own snapshot. One 10 vote among 100 makes only a difference of 0.1 at the end (and sometimes there are much more than 100 effective voters since each solver's vote counts for 3). Finally, as almost everybody is voting 10 for his own shots, it makes no difference at all.
  2.  permalink
    Oh, it's not that I think it makes much difference..I just always thought it wasn't ok for people to rate their own stuff...after all, if one posts a shot, he/she obviously thinks it's worth a 10 =P
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    Huh really when u solve a shot ur vote counts triple?
    Didn't know that:)
  3.  permalink
    I think it's not so easy for the creators to add a filter on your own shots to prevent you to vote.
    It's up to you, but if you want to see the overal rating, without vote for your own shots, you can still check your home page.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJanitor
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    That's a lot of reactions by now... I will admit I give my own submissions a 10, but a big number of shots get a 10 from me, whether I know it or not. When a beautiful shot gets an average of 6.21 and I think it deserves an 8, I give it a 10, just to make it rise higher. It works the other way as well: I can't stand that a dead-boring close-up shot from, say, Johnny Depp, George Clooney, Will Smith, anybody, gets a 8.26 just because people recognize these guys. Those shots get a straight 1 from me. But then, what's a 1 against 76 voters who give it a 10?

Whatever will be done against it, I don't like the possibility that WTM will become a Big Brother, these days the entire world already is... so please not this site as well!
  4.  permalink
    Thing is, there's no way to control people motives to vote in a certain way =o I too think that it sucks to see many beautiful shots get lower rates cause people seem not to know what it is, but is there a way to change that? Dun think so. I've been noticing that ratings got lower overall since the new system launched, I wonder if people now feel just free to give lower notes than before or something.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2010
    I'd like to be able to see the ratings once the shots reach the FF or Archive...
    • CommentAuthorOberstKlink
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010 edited
    I think fungus has made a good point. I was quite frustrated for a while when 7 of my uploads were rejected in a row, but then a few weeks later 12 or so were ACCEPTED in a row, of which half I didn't expect to go through. So on the whole I think the mods are reasonably fair. You just can't make it perfect for everyone.

One thing I'd like to draw attention to is shots, that contain gore/splatter. I and, as I'm sure, many others are fans of this genre. I can fully understand that the majority of users here find such shots disgusting and deserving of a low rating. However, I give many shots with eg romantic context an imho fair rating, although I cant stand them. I just try to look at it through the uploader's eyes and try to understand the appeal of it which made them upload it in the first place. However, it's quite disheartening when the majority of people vote below 6 just because they can't stand the sight of a severed head or hand. I'm not a weirdo or homicidal maniac, I just like the genre and implore people to view its shots a bit more open-minded and appreciate the fact that there is a small but significant minority who does enjoy that sort of stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2010
    @ oberstklink

hear hear
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2010
    to each his/her taste, so for me: rate whatever you want. Thats how the game goes. I dont like face shots, double no on Silent Jay/Bob whatever. Dont like chick flicks, way too easy shots (although I've been known to post them to consolidate my upload position), most tittie shots, and -sorry Oberst- hardcore splatter stuff. As we are to rate the shot, these usually dont get a high rating from me. Oh, and Sandra Bullock.
    • CommentAuthormariar
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010
    Most of my favorites shots ,are shots that I didn't solve, gave them a 10. To me it doesn't matter if I can solve it or not.
    I've uploaded shots,that were good looking back on it ,but still got voted for deletion, 3 times in a row lol.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2010 edited
    Your initial shot was deleted because it was low quality :

It should have looked like this (from "old" DVD release) :

Since this movie was released on DVD with two different ratios, it might also have looked like this (from recent DVD release or from Blu-ray) :

But instead, you used your low quality shot again, altered its proportions and tried to repost it twice... Of course both those shots were deleted too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    What a pity to release on blu-ray such a masterpiece without any respect of the director wishes about the aspect ratio...
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Here we go again... Same old discussion...
    It *is* presented how it should be on Blu-ray. This director only shot his last movies full frame in order to "protect" their look ON VIDEO (4:3 "old" video, that is). But these movies were always framed for widescreen presentation in theaters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    OK MrZob.
    Then I can say: what a pitty the dvd I own (from the K... collection) doesn't follow the director's recommendations for the theaters' presentations :)
  5.  permalink
    Personally, I don't think a shot is ever worth a 1. I usually rank between 7 and 10, maybe a 5 or 6 when it's poor quality or just generally a bad shot, i.e.: you can't see what's going on, something like that. It's incredibly frustrating, as I have noticed, to see that the first or second vote on one of your newest uploads was a 1. Of course, I myself am guilty of giving my own shots higher votes, but I never rate other shots lower than a 5, just to keep the average up to par.
    I have noticed that the average rating dropped about a point since the new system, which is probably because people aren't voting along with the average anymore, but instead are giving the shot a rating it deserves in their eyes. Still, there's a couple of low votes that (at first, admittedly, since eventually it does kind of balance out) do pull down the average rating.
    I don't think it's actually possible to stop this kind of behaviour, because it would end, as it was said, in a vendetta against the low voters, which would in turn make the site as a whole a lot less fun. The best thing there is to do, is basically to rely on the voters to give the shots a decent rating, instead of the childish behaviour that brought forth this discussion.

...Christ, that sounded like some official political statement. Quick, say something to balance the big words!

Butts!

Phew.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    I totally disagree there. I think that for having a good average, you have to use all the ratings available. So not just rate 7-10, because that way we could just have a 1-4 rating system instead of 1-10. Do it the same way as in school: 5.5 should be the average rating, with anything between 3 and 8 used for the "regular shots" and 1/2/9/10 for the extremes.
  6.  permalink
    It seems as though some people take this way to seriously. Granted, I'm a newbie and still trying to figure out the rules and seem to have been deleted or dinged for trying to crop out the black bars my computer puts in (and one I cropped WAY to much), but two other sites we post pics we don't even vote on it, just try to guess the name. But maybe I'll get the hang of it.

By the way, does it matter if it's a jpg or bmp? I've been getting 404'd on some bmps I've tried to load.
    • CommentAuthorhanske84
    this is just a bit of information, but I found out that you can check the score of the shot after you gave it your rating...
    you just stay in the same screen as the shot and after you gave it your rating you hit the "refresh" button and then you can see the score as it is.
    (don't know if this is handy for the mods or tliff and naut to know, but I thought I should mention it on this topic)

and for the voting-part, well...everybody should just vote what they think is correct, cause everybody likes or dislikes something else about a certain shot, so let everybody keep their personal voting-behaviour and let's just play the game :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    @luluthebeast
    I think the upload system only accepts JPGs and PNGs.
  7.  permalink
    Bummer, but thanks.
  8.  permalink
    I had been using Fraps on my PC, but I picked up something nasty and now my Dell Media player won't work, but I loaded it onto my laptop and it seems to be getting nice grabs from the Windows Media Player. The Fujitsu also came with Power DVD Player, which works great, but only seems to grab in BMP's.
  9.  permalink
    @luluthebeast
    Since you usually have to cut away the black bars, you could use whatever you use to cut those away, like Photoshop, to save the file as a jpg or png. That's the way I've been doing it.
    • CommentAuthormariar
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    @MISTERZOB,Now I get it ,thnks for explaining ,all this time I thought it was because of the black bars ,some made a comment about that. That's why I kept resizing it lol.
  10.  permalink
    Thanks Freud, I've been using Microsoft picture manager to crop and re-size.

Also, is it possible to add tags after I've posted a pic? Nobody's guessed the last one and I'd like to add a hint if possible.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    Yes, you can add tags, but they are NOT for hints, only for things that will make it easier to find the shot back.
  11.  permalink
    OK, thanks.
  12.  permalink
    I can see why people complain here, when my pic gets deleted for "bad quality" when it looks exactly like the factory dvd it came from. And since the movie hasn't been guessed, it's obvious these people don't even know where it came from or that there was about five minutes of footage shot in that dusk light. A real "crap shout" from people who have never even seen the movie!
    • CommentAuthorCW
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2010
    4,89 in 10 votes... This is my best score !
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010
    I have more a question than a comment ;)
    I've never voted for my own shots, 'cause I don't think it's fair (like others said, of course you give yourself a 10) ;)
    But now I only can see the rating of my shots whenn I vote for them... is it maybe possible to see the ratings for your own stills without voting for them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2010 edited
    You can always see the ratings of your shots on the homepage http://whatthemovie.com/home under 'new submissions'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    aaaah... thanks a lot Zythux :)
    sry, it's been a while since I 've been here the last time, I still have to get used to the new site ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @phoenix, you may as well give your images a 10 anyway. In my experience 99% of people give their own shots a 10 (myself included ;) ) so its actually fairer to do it yourself too. Or you are just giving yourself a disadvantage. Granted 1x10 vote doesnt amount to much in the grand scheme of things, but every little helps :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    I know you're right them00ch, but I still don't feel right about it... but well... I will think about what you've just said ;)
  13.  permalink
    Voting for my own snapshot doesn't feel right to me either... well, if everyone is doing it, the hell with it.. 10's it is :)
  14.  permalink
    Normally I rate my own shots 1 point higher than I would rate it when it was posted by another. So I feel less guilty about it. (Still a little though) But with all the 10 ratings for the own uploads AND the low ratings I usually get :-) from others I just gonna give meself a big fat 10 the next time around. That will show you! (Oops, sorry. My mean part got out)
    • CommentAuthorGreymatter
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010 edited
    Hi.

I actually have a suggestion more than a complain about the vote mode, and I post it here. I think you shouldn't be able to vote for a shot if you don't know where it's from. Because we are voting for the awesomeness of the shot. How could you judge the quality of a shot if you don't know the movie ? Some people votes low because they don't see the point, or they don't recognize the movie. Like sometimes i got a shot solved by nobody and it get like 35 average votes. So votes hidden till you find the title is fine, but i suggest that you're unable to vote till you guess the film.

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorTerry5
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    It is possible to vote on your own pictures. ???

never tried
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    @greymatter

At first sight it sounds like a good idea, but I'm sure it is a wrong one. First there are unsolved shots that will have no votes. And then I guess the toughest shots with only a few solvers will have the best ratings, since you usually rate high a shot that you are almost alone to have solved. Moreover it is well known that a large samples tends to reach a medium mean value and avoid extrema, while small samples can give very high or very low ratings.