Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    that's why your vote counts more if you solved the shot (1:3)
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    I don't understand why people give lower rates to the shots they can't solve. Many favourites of mine are from the movies I haven't seen or don't have a clue about. People should understand that the awesomeness of the shot doesn't have anything to do with the fact whether you've solved it or not. But I also think that it doesn't matter what we write here when 1/3 of WTM users act that way :(((((
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    I think the problem still is that a lot of users only vote high for movies they like a lot... like popular movies... I'm pretty sure, almost every PotC or Dark Knight shot gets through... if they don't like a movie (or don't know it) they vote it down... BUT I also recognized something else in the last couple of days... sometimes a really good shot gets voted down... I think they are now trying to vote tactically like in the Vault. When they see a good shot, some try to vote it down... just my opinion, but it really seemed to me like that.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Well, a "good" shot isn't a fact, it's all opinions. Lately I have been voting down mugshots. If it's a big character doing nothing besides staring in the lens --> instant 1, no matter which film or who uploaded it.
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    if i click a profile i can read sooo many details and stats. Why donĀ“t add a stat which shows the average voting which this person give to shots? So all people can see himself if someone vote most time with 1,2,3. I think the community gives the right answer, if they know it.

I think an another problem is more important as some people downrate all shots... best chance to get an average vote higher then 7,50 is posting shots from well known Animations or Block Busters, all people know it and vote almost high. But shots of unknown movies got nearly 0 chance to reach the FF.

And in the end i am outing me as "an arrogant person" in the eyes of them00ch i fear... i think its very bad, that really good shots from movies which nobody knows gets a ranking about 6,00 - 7,00 and average/bad shots of well known movies gets a ranking with 7,00 - 8,00. For example 74074 or 74094, its a shame they got under 7,00 because nobody knows it. I often give good shots with low solves a 10 and average/bad shots with high solves a very low rating to balance the in my mind unfair downrating of good shots from unknown movies. Good Shots from well known movies gets of a course a high rating!
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010 edited
    I think it's also about the story behind a shot. This shot for example of the joker:
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/60194
    I think it's not a peculiar pretty shot, but because of the story behind it and the feeling you get with it, makes it a good shot.

So if you see a shot of a movie you don't know, it's harder to get the 'picture' that comes with it. That's also my way of solving the shot: thinking of what of a story can come with the still, and most of the time that works for me.

On the other hand, it's not fair to only let people vote for the movie if they solved it. It could be a solution, but there has to come up with something as otherwise people that only solve the shot will give it a 10 and so only harder ones will go trough.
    However, it may be an idea to only let people vote when they solved it.

Another solution might be that after you see the rating of the shot, you can't change your vote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    Maybe it's an idea to implement a rewardingsystem if you've voted high on shots that go through to the FF. For example, you vote 9 on one shot and 3 on another and when both shots go to the FF you get extra WTM-bucks for the one you voted 9. The accuracy of your voting should be rewarded if it's in accordance with the WTM shotuploading device.

This may be a drive for the voters to vote fairly. And, when we're rewarding users, we can 'punish' them because of unfair voting. In the example above, the 3-vote of the shot may be unfair (because for the rest of the community or mods the shot is awsome) and that user should lose some WTM-bucks.

I hope my message is understandable!
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010 edited
    There is a downside to that. Everyone has its own taste: if a shot has an average of 8, the one that voted 3 doesn't have to be 'cheating'; maybe it's bad taste, but that's another discussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I think it's a bad idea. It only encourages more people to vote high on PotC, LotR, Johnny Depp etc. because there's a very good chance they will easily make it to FF.
  1.  permalink
    The bottom line of the whole thing is, you cannot force people to vote objectively and fairly, because deep down, all people are cunts. This is the same basic reason communism never works.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    But we do not send people to the Gulag if they cheat... They just get a horse's head :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2010
    Communism doesn't work? I'm shocked! Nobody told me :(
  2.  permalink
    So, the last three shots I uploaded received low ratings. All three of 'em. It's getting kind of frustrating. The first one could, as Asmodai mentioned, be considered a character shot, and I know that people tend to vote low on those, but the other two, http://whatthemovie.com/shot/76579 and http://whatthemovie.com/shot/76592, are not shots I'd consider character shots, and they're not bad quality/stretched/black bar'd or whatever.

I know it's practically impossible to do something about this, but man, it gets annoying if basically every single shot is getting a low rating for no apparent reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    Not to mention people clicking 'shout is crap'. What is this? Do we really have so little respect for users around here?:/
    •  
      CommentAuthormikebozzio
    @sati
    Someone put "shout is crap" for me... I only said it was a repost!!! http://whatthemovie.com/shot/48301
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    It's not really a question of respect Sati, it just means that someone disagrees with your shout for some reason, I wouldn't stress about it.

and Mike - no idea why you got a thumb down on your shout, I gave you a thumb up to counter it :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    well then maybe it should be 'agree' 'disagree', not 'crap'?
    also reviews - no matter how much I disagree or how poorly something is written I won't judge someone's work as 'utter bullshit' (is it?)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    It's "utter nonsense", which is a little more palatable than your choice of words ;)

The option is there, it is just a way for people to express themselves I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Both words are rather far from being constructive criticism :)
    But why would whoever made those 2 options available assume It's ok to express one's opinion with such choice of words? I just don't know.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    come on, its the internet... dont take it too serieus ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Just because it's jungle we don't all have to be animals:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010 edited
    This is essentially just an issue of semantics. If it was changed to "I disagree" would this be better? It is still hardly constructive criticism now is it? :) Or are you just sore that someone has chosen the negative option, however it is worded ? ;)

•  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Yes I stated above it would be better, imho - "I disagree".
    "Or are you just sore that someone has chosen the negative option, however it is worded ?" - I'm not gonna "crap" on that, I'm just gonna - WTF?
    Aretha Franklin sang that wonderful song once....what was the title of it, gee If only I remembered :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    What do you mean WTF? I mean, I obviously know what it stands for but what is it you are WTF'ing at?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    I'm WTFing 'cause you got me - clearly I will not find peace until every single user agrees with me :):):)
    Seriously, it's only about wording, I think the option is cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Aah ok. Well note I added a little "wink" at the end of the sentence ;) I thought it might provoke a reaction :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    I usually react before seeing winks :D I'm blinded from solving shots, sorry:D
    • CommentAuthorPPKNHoneyB
    It is not the first time i see this discussion round here, and hey..nothing changed!
    No one is a saint, most of us at least once voted on something not fairly enough(for own benefit or voting higher just because you know the movie for example)but i think that combining votes to take someone's snapshot down is a bit too far..it's pure EVIL!haha

As long as people don't know where it's coming from, the ones who are doing this won't stop doing it.So i suggest that the voting turns public from now on.It's the only way people will actually be ashamed of doing something like that again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @ PPKNHoneyB

There is no need for voting to be public. All that will do is cause revenge votes and hard feelings etc... People are less likely to vote what they truly feel if they feel their vote is being judged etc.. And besides, no-one can tell anyone else how to vote on what shots etc.. If someone thinks a shot is a one, they can vote a one. There is no set scale and its all subjective.

However, with regards to multiple accounts etc... rest assured that the moderator team catch anyone who is using multiple accounts to cheat. It happens more than you think, but the offenders are caught and bans are applied, you just don't see it :)
    • CommentAuthorPPKNHoneyB
    Yeah @them00ch , i didn't thought about that...you're' right, we would have a total chaos!
    It's just hard to know that we can't do anything about it...

I guess the only thing we can do is to hope for people to get some sense in their heads and count on moderator's judgements.

And @them00ch i see more than you think..i noticed a lot of 'deleted users' in the snaps lately and i know there must be a reason why they were deleted(btw, thanks for explaining me, know i know why).And i know some of my snapshots would never get into FF if it wasn't for the moderators judgement(and not the voting)..so i trust you guys.=D
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    When it says deleted user it is purely because the user deleted the account him/herself, not because of a ban.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010
    #76980 come on, first two votes and it had an 1, which means 2 people voted a one for this shot. I get it when you dont like the shot, but seriously a 1??
    I know it will even out in a while to the real value of the shot, but its quite frustrating!
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited
    I agree with you.

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/76140
    That one got a real low voting, and then got magically accepted.
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/76859
    This one I think has a real good ambiance, but a 6.84

I've got similar shots for more famous movies and it got accepted with really high ratings.

-edit- And how can my new shot have 5.71 with only 3 votes. That makes 17.13 voted. If I round that back to 17 and divide by 3 and round it down I don't get 5.71, but 5.67. How can that happen, can somebody give me some insight there?
    -edit2- I wish I could delete my shots. After only 5 minutes it already has gotten a 5. I have to wait another 576 times longer just to see it won't get the high rating it already has now.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010
    @krukev it's because the votes of people who solved the shot count 3 times compared to votes from users who haven't solved the shot

If you are able to delete a shot whenever you think it will not make it, what will be the whole point of the 48 hours? Then everybody will be able to upload even more shots and after like 5 hours they delete them because they think it will not make it. So you get a huge ammount of shots with 30-48 hours left, and a small minority of shots who stay in the NS for the full 48 hours
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010 edited
    Well, then it's a sort of natural selection isn't it?

Although solver's votes count 3 times. To get such a low rating, the non-solvers also have to vote low.
  3.  permalink
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/77601

33 votes, 4,78 rating, 1 solve. Something ain't right.
  4.  permalink
    Sure thing, Freudianspud =o
    We all noticed the averages droped since the new voting system, but specifically this weekend it seems people are just having the most fun in rating low everything. I mean:

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/77698

Seriously, folks. And there are much more shots rated around 5~6 too o.o and that's, well, kinda scary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    maybe we should only allow votes between 6 and 10? Come on guys, this happens.....
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2010 edited
    Yeah, OK.

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/78767
    This has now got even under a 6. But until this point only themooch solved it. It seems people are voting higher for the ones they solve. Like a 2,3 if you don't know it, and a 10 if you solve it. BUT how can there ever be done anything about it?

Maybe this is a good idea?

Maybe something like don't count the top 5% and the lowest 5% of the votes.
    So with 100 votes and 5 times a 10 and 5 times and the rest a 9 it would get: 8.65
    Whereas if you leave the top and lowest 5% it would get a 9.
    Of course it scales over the whole range, but the extreme voting will be gone.
    It's still NOT useless to vote 10s and 1s as otherwise 9s and 2s won't be counted.
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010
    Hey I've got an idea to make the voting more fair! Sometimes when i've uploaded a shot and I see that the next one is really great, i sometimes get the urge to give that shot a low vote. I almost never do that because i don't think it's fair for the uploader of that shot. But what if you're unable to vote on NS-shots that are posted in the same hour as your own NS?
    For example I post a shot at 11.00, that would rule out the votes i vote between 10.30 and 11.30 or maybe a period of two hours (10.00 and 12.00). That way the voter would have no reason to vote unfair!
    What do you guys think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @energ
    I think that's a bad understanding of the rules. The ranking of the best shots is not calculated on the same hour than your upload but on the last 24 hours. If you want to have this (bad) behaviour, you have to give a low vote to all the shots posted in the same 24 hours than yours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    @efji
    Ofcourse I know that! But I think that some wtm-ers vote low on shots because it could harm their own shots! The voting stage is 24 hours, but the shots posted in the same hour are rivals for the best rating. If you'd rule out voting during that period you'd rule out those rivalry-votes and votes out of bitterness. Then it's up to the rest -not rivals and sometimes bitter- wtm-ers to give an honest en genuine vote!
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010 edited
    "but the shots posted in the same hour are rivals for the best rating"
    yes, but it doesnt matter that much, if your shot has a high rating it will go through anyway.
    i think the whole idea doesn't make much sense, sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPalahniuk007
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2010 edited
    I know the problem guys. For instance, I have a Monkey Business who's turning really bad for me: #88724
    How is it possible? This shot is mouth gaping! This is a monkey. And a monkey should get AT LEAST an 8.
    If a cat can make it through then the monkey is the king.
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2010
    the rating should be private until the shot goes through ff, maybe also the uploader... the lesser the visiblity of who and how much, the higher the honest rating or not?
    • CommentAuthoraril
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    OK, I'm relatively new here so maybe the following has been suggested before but hey, I mean well. First of all: fantastic website, great concept!
    My suggestion is: why don't we just vote for shots instead of rating them?

Something like this:
    - Shots are uploaded the way they are now
    - After every series of 10 (or 20, or whatever) uploaded shots, voting for that series is opened and you can only vote for one shot (not your own, of course)
    - 24 (or 48) hours after the last upload of a series, voting closes and the shot with the most votes goes through (to prevent shots from a really bad series going through you can set a minimum of votes that a shot needs)
    - If you uploaded a really good shot that nearly made it but got beaten by an even better shot you can always upload it again...
    Besides this, we can keep rating shots but whether it goes through or not doesn't depend on the rating, just the number of votes.
    Let me know what you think!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010 edited
    Well, I don't know what to say anymore because most of the things I think I already said or have been mentioned by others ;)
    But since I was away every once in a while, I realised, the rating dropped down at least one point... now a shot with 8+ in the end is much more rare then it was lets say half a year ago. Shots with 9+ even more.
    First I thought, it could be a good idea that nobody sees the rating of a shot (not even your own uploads) until the 48 hours are over or the shot goes to the FF. Just make the rating invisible for everyone, even after giving a vote for a shot...
    But... this also could cause people to vote every other shot low just because they want their shots to make it...
    I think the real "problem" is, no matter what is done, you can't change people's voting behaviour... be it a fair or unfair ;)
    For a long time I never rated my own shots because, of course that wouldn't be objective, anyways, after I mentioned it here, I got the advice to do so because almost everyone does it...
    I think we just have to somehow learn to live with it that taste is different and the definition of fair sometimes is not known to everyone ;)
    So in this case I think I just keep on trusting the moderators to make sure good shots that didn't get a good rating still make it to the FF ;)
    And I believe there is nothing more we can do than to try to be fair ourselves when we rate shots...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfreddelgado
    I try to upload, with certain frequency, an artistic shot with another point of view of scene, trying different colors or whatever I have on my mind, like these:

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/55625 - solved = 2, votes = 68, rate = 6,46

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/89630 - solved = 9, votes = 57, rate = 6,49

Sometimes I post shots like that - http://whatthemovie.com/shot/63787 . It has all the reference used to make the movie, the reason of the movie. If you've played any FPS (First-Person Shooter) once single time in your life, you should know what I'm trying to say.

solved = 145, votes = 116, rate = 7,37 (almost)

It doesn't matter if the leading, supporting or a background actor is appearing on the screen or if the movie is really a crap one as the example above.

I don't expect to change a single mind here, I'm really tired to do these kind of things. If all of us are voting low rates, nothing will change... EVER!
    The 10 becomes a 7 and the 7 becomes a 4, so whatever.. 4 still is lower than 7 and end of the story.

I'm still voting using my brain but I'm the minority, it really doesn't make any difference at all in the end.

If those guys don't "like" our shots, just repost it another day. We are always here voting and solving, they are not!

My opinion is simple: if you solved, you are able to vote.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    But then again we had the problem that shots with none or just a few solves wouldn't get any chance to make it to FF(because too less or no votes)... and still, we have the mods to push through those shots with none or just a few solves because shots like that almost always get a low ranking ;) Believe me, talking from experience here ;)
  5.  permalink
    Yeah, @Phoenix, we are old dogs on this game. :]

None or few solves shots will enter by another gauge.
    Some of my last shots got make it to FF because of moderators' intervention... My shots got a really low rates. :}
    (Thanks guys, you are 10/10 + fav on my heart)

I don't know, man... Just rest to us an only one solution: the mods should give us the names of them... THE NAMES!
    We need to f***** them some way or another. REVENGE!

As the poet of people said: "The roof, the roof, the roof is on fire. We don't need no water, let the motherfucker burn!"