Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    ...I hope you are not serious here...? "Revenge" because someone's taste differs from yours? Why not also let people delete vote on profiles, or show the adresses and phone numbers of users!

I have said it before, us mods do check which people rate how on which shots, and when there is something suspicious about this, we WILL act on this. Just trust us to do our jobs.

In the end, your taste in shots isn't the same as other people's taste, and you can't expect it to be.
  1.  permalink
    :/

Of course it was a joke or at least it should be.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Glad to hear, but I have heard thoughts like this before, so I thought I would make it clear that it is not an option ;)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    its very difficult to get an 8 for your shot nowadays

I think there are a lot of people who are voting down if a shot got a high vote
    I know in the early days we got the same problem (or the problem is still here?)

but lately I have a feeling that some shots who deserves a 7.8 or more are voting down by some people. The down voters are more then in the early days (yeah I know that wtm is growing so more down voters, but still).
    in my opinion some people vote also down because of the uploader
    we don't like this uploader so we vote a 1 on his shot (is it jealousy, frustration, etc. I don't know)

for example if a shot got an 8 with 30 votes
    and then a 6 with 45 votes (I see this often in the SM, not only with me)
    something going wrong here

normally 30 votes is a good estimate for your rating

I know the mods/creators can't do anything about it
    its the people of wtm who can do something about it

SO PLEASE PEOPLE VOTE FOR THE SHOT NOT THE MOVIE OR THE UPLOADER
    RATE THE AWESOMENESS OF THE SHOT!
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    amen

and I do completely agree with you
  2.  permalink
    There should be a LAW.

IDEA.
    A WTMer can't vote unless he already posted 10 accepted snaps.

And when he finally get the RIGHT to vote, well, he's gonna vote fairly because he'll know the drill.
    I'm sure it will ease the pain you all seem to have!
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    @LordMyst - that's what it says - rate the awesomeness, but there are so many wonderful shots in NS that have lower grades because there are only few solves. And on the other side, there can be similar shots to these that are from well known movies and easier to recognise and they will get better grades. It is sad that we still have to discuss this topic, because this proves that many things haven't changed and that there are still many users who rate the movie and not the shot :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010
    That's absolutely right LordMyst and lovelyT. I have been recognizing the same things and it's really a shame that some people just can't respect others... I mean everyone who takes the time for hours and hours to get a really good shot and uploads it, knows exactly how upset you can get if your shot gets votet down like that but still, they don't seem to care :( At least a little respect should be there... but why am I saying this... if there are people cheating just to get their shots through why should they care about anyone else then them.
    The really sad part is, that I don't want to know what people like that actually would do if it would be about real money or in real life and not just a game, if they already do things like this in a simple game ^^
    • CommentAuthorshantak
    I think you should do with the name of the uploader the same as with the vote: hide!

While the person does not hit the shot, neither vote nor the name of who posted the shot would be available (it could have a "hidden" in place of the person's name, perhaps ...). If set, everything returns to normal.

I think it would help us vote for the uploader, not for the shot.

Just an idea... :)
  3.  permalink
    Yeah.. Never shows the rate of shot and the name of who posted untill it goes to FF.
    It will be a great surprise for everyone.

I believe if you hide the rate the most of voters will vote according their open and clean minds. Some stills were been very well till a few guys start to give 1 to them just because the shots were doing great. I mean all of shots, including my own. If you hide the names it will be nice too.
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    Well, I don't want to look every shot twice. First in NS for solving and later in FF just for looking the upper. Doesn't make sense in my opinion.
    I think everyone should rate a shot once only. No correcting. No re-rating. After clicking the stars, it's fixed.
    As for me put in a -hidden- for the rating and the upper. But then both should be revealed after rating. That would effect the same as what is explained/wished above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2010 edited
    Well, I just can repeat what I said before, if you keep the votes hidden, they will automatically vote a shot low just to make sure it has a lower rating than theirs... it won't work I'm afraid.
    Same goes for "fixing" that you only can give one vote, than they instantly will vote low...
    Like I said, this is something you can't change no matter what you try... those people who vote low because of their shots will keep on doing that...
    I had one other idea, that maybe could solve this and also the flooded NS thing, but I'm not sure if this is a good idea.
    How about uploading is not available from the very beginning? So first you only are allowed to vote(without having any uploads of your own) until you have a certain rank on WTM, like for example 3 or 4.
    The NS won't be so flooded anymore and maybe then people first learn how to rate a shot before they can upload one themselves and than they are long enough here to maybe stay fair in their voting behaviour...
    Should I write this also in the ideas threat?
    •  
      CommentAuthormikebozzio
    We can try to do a lot things, hide ratings and stuff, but the main problem nobody can fix... "Human Nature". :-)
  4.  permalink
    I don't agree with the "Vote once and once only" thing, because a lot of time my fixing of votes is just that. I'm a spaz, so it happens fairly regularly that I'll try to click the bookmark button or something, and hit 2 stars instead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKeyser_Soze
    How about giving more "power" to the ratings of players with the higher rank, like it is when you solve the shot. It might improve things, presuming that the new voters are the problem. Also the "old" players are voting for quite some time, after all it's the most consistent way of reaching the next rank (not everybody write reviews), therefore they understand the whole deal with the bad ratings and are supposed to be honest.This may also encourage people to vote more (that way earning bucks) if they want for their vote to count more
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    @OhLookBirdies: That shouldn't be the normal case. Have a care! And there's a lot of space between the stars and the bookmark button! :-)
    Anyway, it's no problem if you click on the wrong thing. Then Sh*t happens and you keep on solving... and your cursor should be treated with respect.

This method doesn't solve the problem with low ratings, but it is a solution for the problem with looking every shot twice.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    the idea of censoring the uploader is maybe a great idea
    because the new problem is not voting low because of the highrated shot
    but of the uploader

so I am for it of censoring the uploader in NS
    •  
      CommentAuthormikebozzio
    Agree with censoring the uploader.
  5.  permalink
    I understand now why my snaps get incredibles low ratings!
    If all my shouts are crapped (even the dumbest) then my shots are savagely rated one (even Wall-E) !!!

I didn't think about that.
    I'm an innocent joker.

I have a heart.
    I have emotions.

I believe in people.
    I love people. Hell! I love you all!!!!

But censoring the uploader is a great idea.
    Only the snap counts. This is a movie game for Christ's sake!

Where are the CREATORS? ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    Wait a minute LordMyst... If you are right, this means some people don't like me?! :D Omg O.O I can't believe this! How is that possibe?! *lol* :P
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    the office when he was the number 1 uploader
    he got the same problem
    people voted low on his shot just because he is number 1

so people are just jeaulous I think

but phoenix I can't imagine that some people don't like you
    you are great :)
    • CommentAuthorOberstKlink
    The word fairness pops up quite often in this thread. I'd like to know what generally is regarded as a fair vote? Johnny Depp shots always receive a high rating, even if they're just plain boring, while others that look far more interesting receive a pretty low rating. Just one example and I'm sure everyone can name a few more. This in my opinion I would class unfair. The contests generally seem to be very low-rated, becaus of the copetitiveness.

But in all honesty I do try and be, what I regard, fair. Although I often find myself at a bit of a loss of how to rate a snapshot. It might have great quality, but the content is boring. The colours might be interesting but in a b/w shot there's only shades of grey to admire. There might be a frame of Nightmare Before Christmas posted, which is not on here yet (I do believe there are still slots!), but it's just boring and I struggle to give it a benevolent rating, even if it looks semi-decent.

I guess it is impossible to "train" or force people to vote in a "fair" way. Everybody has a different taste and what might be a 8/10 to me might be a 10/10 or a 5/10 to another. I might absolutely adore b/w shots whilst other people can't get their heads around them.

As it has been stated numerous times before: I think the mods do a very good job in accepting a variety of shots, helping to ensure that everyone's taste is covered in the FF.

Some things I think we just have to live with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Given the shocking amount of 'shout is crap' on my shouts, I'm for censoring uploader too:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    You know, I think the "problem" we have here is that we start to talk in circles, if you know what I mean. Almost everyone active in this forum shares somehow the same view about this topic, that taste is different and so on.
    We all agree, that this is just something we can't change.
    Like I said before. Let's try to be fair ourselves when we rate shots. I think it's the best we can do at the moment under this given circumstances.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010 edited
    I can only second @mikebozzio
    We can try to do a lot things, hide ratings and stuff, but the main problem nobody can fix... "Human Nature". :-)

And you guys don’t see the disadvantages of not showing the uploader in NS
    There’s a lot of communication going on beneath shouts, often with the uploader involved or people saying stuff at the uploader’s profile.
    Also the little thumbnails at your profile, showing which of your shots are in NS..

All that would be lost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    @LordMyst: 30 votes you say? My 1-voters are much faster than yours :)

I managed to capture one of them in the act:

Gettem! Make em suffer!

Back to topic: I like the idea of not knowing who posted the shots and thinking "this looks like a shot xyz could have posted". I don't think I made the people hate me enough already to vote my shots low, so I have no reason to complain about rejected shots. But I see no need for the uploaders identity to be a part of the vote-decision (or the one of the mods ..) You can not avoid this as long as the names are shown. Everybody should have the same chance no matter if he is a top uploader, a respected member of the wtm-society or even Palahniuk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    "even Palahniuk":D
    God, anyone who rates shot from Clooney movie 1 is a monster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    It won't make any difference if the name is hidden or not... believe me and I have to second what naut said
    "There’s a lot of communication going on beneath shouts, often with the uploader involved or people saying stuff at the uploader’s profile.
    Also the little thumbnails at your profile, showing which of your shots are in NS..

All that would be lost. "
    And he is right with that. I for myself can say I really would like to keep this. And believe me I really don't think it's about the uploader, how a shot is rated.

oh and P.S. @LordMyst Thanks for your really nice words =) I forgot to say that in my last post ;)
    • CommentAuthorshantak
    @naut

"There’s a lot of communication going on beneath shouts, often with the uploader involved or people saying stuff at the uploader’s profile.

All that would be lost. "

Why all that would be lost? In fact, the idea of hiding the name of the uploader is just one way the person does not vote just because of the uploader ... so when the person voting and refresh the page, the name of the uploader already appear in its place.

Nothing that you said would be lost, in my opinion ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMichele
    fnick, your shot is just amazing, how could anyone vote a ONE?

well, it's tricky, people have been doing this of voting low ever since I joined WTM and all, and for me it's just unfair.
    i for instance, i vote mostly because of the WTM bucks, since I don't write many reviews(planning on change that) and i think it's sad that shots are geting 1's when they obviously worth a lot more =/
  6.  permalink
    @sati "God, anyone who rates shot from Clooney movie 1 is a monster"
    Does that mean you should rate the movie not the shot? Sure sounds like it and that's what I call unfair voting, besides other things of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    @shantak

Based on what I read above, the idea was not to show the uploader in NS at all.
    And even if you showed the name after the voting process, I’m sure the "bad boys" have a quick glance at the name and change their vote.

All in all, it’s just a tiny fraction who votes 1 on a shot. I just checked a few shots in NS and it was below 5%
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    @Keyser_Soze
    It was a joke.
    and come one that shot by no means deserved even one vote 1.
    And you wanna talk unfair voting because of that? Ok. How come we will never have any SotD fromTwilight movies? They are filled with beautiful images. Because the haters vote 1. And THEY vote for the movie, not a shot.
    But it's how it is, people have their tastes, nothing you can do about it. I never vote above 7 for gory shots, because I don't like them.
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    Make it public! :-D Every voter will be listed with nick and rating.... would be awesome! :-D
  7.  permalink
    @Maxi

I think that is a truly awesome idea! :)
    Anyone without shame should approve!
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2010
    @naut
    "All in all, it’s just a tiny fraction who votes 1 on a shot. I just checked a few shots in NS and it was below 5% "

Actually 5% 1 voters is an awful lot when calculating an average.
    Example: a shot gets an 8 on 95% of the voters and 5% 1 votes.
    Final score: 7.65
    Right here is the difference between making it to FF or not.

I think there should be a mathematical solution here, I'm pretty sure they have one on IMDB for instance, as the actual rating is not equal to the average rating.

I'm not quite sure how they do it but I think the weighted vote of each user somehow depends on his average vote.
    for example if a user votes 3 on average, than 5 is actually an 8, and 1 is actually a 5. Or something like that.
    Though it will probably not be so easy to implement, I guess.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    I get the feeling that people are trying to say that voting 1 should never be done (or only in extreme cases), but I disagree with this. In my opinion, the average rating someone should give is 5.5, and should therefore give just as many 1's as 10's, just as many 2's as 9's and so on. A 1 is just a rating, people, it isn't an anthrax-letter to your person, or a delete vote!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    I'm with Asmodai on this one. Why should you have a scale from 1 to 10 if you are not allowed to use 1. Most of the times I rate between 4 and 7. Exceptional good or exceptional boring shots get 8-9 and 2-3, respectively. And in only a few cases I will go with a 10 or a 1. So I guess my average rating will be around 6.

If you don't want the extremes to influence the rating too much you can use the median but this has the disadvantage that you only have 19 possible values (1, 1.5, 2, 2.5 to 10). As far as I know the weighting of IMDB ratings is done by giving a higher vote to regular users. This could be done here, too. Give people with higher ranks a higher weight in the formula. However, I think it would complicate things since the result cannot be followed anymore.

And as I said before, I really don't think there is a problem with unfair voting. I also see the phenomenon that my uploads usually start with a high rating which then gradually declines. However, I think this is because the first few solves usually come from people who are frequent visitors of NS. And people who tend to rate in NS once in two days are more likely to rate a shot later on. It's also likely that the rating between those two groups differ. So I don't see any problem in this decline and I really don't think people systematically punish a specific uploader. At least my rates range from 6 to 8 at the moment and I don't see any pattern. Shots I thought were great only get a 6 and other shots I doubted to reach FF were rated 8. You just have to accept the fact that your preferences and taste doesn't automatically match those of the majority.
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    I think voting 1 is absolutely ok (though I very rarely do so), but from what I've read here I understood that the problem is people who vote 1 on shots just to give their own shots a better chance, or out of spite. Users who vote like that will probably not have an average of 5.5 or higher (isn't the average vote here around 7?), but around 3 or so.
    Anyway, just a thought, obviously not a perfect solution...

Also, if the rating remains hidden, they wouldn't know which ones to downvote, therefore will rank all of them 1 (and will be easily spotted), or will have to come out with a different voting system, what they actually think, maybe? :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    And on this you have to trust us mods: it rarely happens, we check! Plenty of users who give the occasional 1 to shots they don't like, but nobody is consistently voting 1 on other people's shots. And when it happens, we DO find out.
    • CommentAuthorlovelyT
    If I may add something, the thing I have noticed with the shots in NS is that their grades start to sink when people don't know them. They begin for example with a 9 and with each new grade, their rating is lower. And the number of solves doesn't get up. Hope you understand my point. I don't have anything against 1s and 2s (I give them occasionally, too), but it is funny to see that shots with few solves have a much lower grade than the ones with many solves (it's not a rule, of course, but some can be found). And as I have noticed, the shots which contain main characters in them get a pretty higher grade than the so "called" clever shots, with interesting motives etc. This is just my opinion, I'm aware that we are all different and have various taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    @Asmodai: i agree that the 10 voting-step should theoretically lead to an average rating of 5.5 with good shots above 5.5 and not-so-much-liked shots below 5.5. But this is not reality. It doesn't matter when you vote this way cause i'm sure you are voting every shot so it does not make any difference in the end.

But when I started rating I realized that shots are mostly rated between 6 and 8 like shalev said. So if a shot ist not brilliant, but I like it then I would actually punish it by an overaverage rating of 6 or 7 cause I do not rate every shot. This is why I startet rating like probably many voters - 8 till 10 for good shots, 7 for average shots, 5 -6 (seldom below that) for shots I don't like and 1 if Michael Schumacher is in the shot.

The only Problem is that if you love a shot you can just give 3 points above the average, but people who hate it can push it down with 6 points below the average. So the rating of shots can sink rapidly in a short time period and uploaders are sad - even if the votes were just honest opinions.

A possibility to change this (and I am not saying it is extremely necessary to change it) would be to unify the rating behaviour e.g. by changing the voting-system to 5 steps and announcing a voting-explanation like:

5 - Absolutely Awesome shot .. I'm jealous I didn't take it
    4 - Wow, nice one. Hope it makes it to FF
    3 - Average shot like I see them every day
    2 - OK, but it wouldn't hurt, if it gets rejected
    1 - Well, no.

But as proposed before it would surely already help to get an overview on the amount of 1, 2, .. 10-Votes of your own shot. People would be much happier if they saw how many 10-Votes they got even if the shot gets rejected with 7.5 Points. And hiding the uploaders names maybe wouldn't change anything in voting but nobody could ask himself if the votes are bad because of him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    I think the jealousy issue is now bigger than when I joined in.
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/98429
    imho that is an excellent shot, one of the most memorable ones in the movie and should have at least 8.
    But people are probably pissed off they didn't get the slot.
    Also it's funny that I tried to upload one shot once and it got rejected at 7,72 and now the same shot was uploaded by someone else and passed after few hours at 8,22 or something.
    And I'd like to point out another issue - if any of Twilight actors are in the cast of the movie it is nearly impossible to get something to FF. The best example is "Remember me" every 2 days different shot in NS, because nothing can go through.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    I disagree. I think that is an okay shot, but nothing more than an okay shot that deserves the rating it has gotten. So you see, tastes differ, or on what would I be jealous?

As often said: results of the past are no guarantee for the future. Ratings themselves DON'T matter, only relative ratings do, and even then it depends on the voters, maybe someone who really hated the shot when you posted it is away on vacation, and we got two new users that love the shot.

Your last issue, imo, is very not true. Just think of Harry Potter. (Did they play in something else as well?). I haven't seen Remember Me, so haven't solved any of the shots in NS for this, but I can say that I see a whole bunch of faceshots of the actors you are referring to, both for twilight as for other movies, and from me these all get a standard 1 for being character shots. If people post great shots from movies with these actors, then I will also rate great. Also, I did some googling for pics and watched the trailer of Remember Me, and I wouldn't be surprised if this is one of those movies that is hard to get great shots from, pity, but it happens and there are more of these. It can be possible, though, that some users just keep uploading shots of it with the face of whatever-the-boy's-name-is, so they can drool over it (same with Robert Downey Jr., Johnny Depp, George Clooney and on the other end of the spectrum we have Penelope Cruz, Scarlett Johanssen and Megan Fox).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Yes but when Cruz's boobs are on it, it goes through :)
    Seeing what gets to FF I assure you Remember Me has great shots:)
    I haven't seen any Clooney shots lately. I would be the one to 'drool over' them as you subtely put it, but sadly there are never any in NS :D
    I think giving 'character shots' 1 is pretty unfair, though, there are some great shots from the movie like that and what just because it's easy it deserves 1?
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/96266 I think this one is awesome, hence I uploaded it and I don't care if her face is all there is. 13 favorites, man :D
    But everyone votes differently I guess.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    "Yes but when Cruz's boobs are on it, it goes through :)"
    Naturally. ;)

"Seeing what gets to FF I assure you Remember Me has great shots:)"
    As I said, I haven't seen it, so I can't judge on it. I can merely say that I have seen some shots with the guy that weren't twilight and were boring.

"I haven't seen any Clooney shots lately. I would be the one to 'drool over' them as you subtely put it, but sadly there are never any in NS :D I think giving 'character shots' 1 is pretty unfair, though, there are some great shots from the movie like that and what just because it's easy it deserves 1? ->link<- I think this one is awesome, hence I uploaded it and I don't care if her face is all there is. 13 favorites, man :D But everyone votes differently I guess. "

No, it deserves a 1 because character shots are supposed to be uploaded in the character section of movie pages, NOT in NS, hence the name. The shot you posted is indeed quite a good shot, but not really a character shot. There is more than just a face staring at a camera here. There is a difference between character shots and other face-shots, imo. Character shots I give 1, the rest depends on the quality and awesomeness of the shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    This is a headshot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/94067 (actually it isn't if you look carefuly!) that should have got to FF. 6.08:(
    • CommentAuthorTalie
    @efji - you're right, but this detail is so small, that people just don't see it, and vote low. I admitt that I see it after closer looking at the shot. And I think this is a reason, why really interesting shots are rejected - people don't look closer, just one quick look, and they go to next one. And if they don't know the movie (or the actor)- vote low.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010 edited
    I don't see the detail:P only that the one side of the face looks slightly different than the other side:) Please help me!

Edit: or is it his sweater which is worn reversed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @rulo
    It's a headSshot :)
    2 different actors, quite popular in France. The right side died the day before Mr Zob posted it...