Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMaaike
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009 edited
    Generally, I really like the idea of the 'awesome uploads'. However, lately I get the idea they're being handed out like candy. Nothing wrong with candy, I've got a rather severe sugar addiction myself, but it just seems a lot of people are swimming in them. No mistake, some people make great use of them (I rather like some of the recently uploaded 'series' which probably only can exist by means of the AU), but that does not hold for all of them. I'm a bit worried about the fact there is no way to influence their quality at all.

If there are as many as it seems (and it's not that hard to get a bunch if you make a small donation), it also seems to me a bit unfair competition for the regular shots.
    Neither does it help to give any insight into the whole selection process. I can imagine people who are getting their shot rejected, just because there were still better shots that day, find it frustrating to see some of the 'less awesome' awesome uploads that made it in on the very same day.

Would it be an option to mark a AU in the FF section, so the difference is known? Not as a quality label of course, but just to make it more insightful which shots were not subjected to the 'normal' selection/voting procedure and which were not?

What do you people think about this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrvr
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009
    Great idea - I would also like to see which shots were AU's. If only out of curiosity.

I actually only used one (out of 12) myself for one of my all time favourite movies. I just wasn't patient enough to wait for a regular upload slot...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    @ Maaike: It's easy to recognize AU, because they don't have many votes :)!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaylua
    You may have noticed an increase in AU in the last days on account of the contest winners. And I'm sorry if you do not like to hear this, but these AU is due ...

From what I could tell, I'm one of the few that are using them, so I took that comment personally. And so I think I should defend my shots because I believe and I love them.

First I posted a shot I think is missing here, is a well recognized and revered film and I was criticized for spending an AU with a film that would easily by NS

Now I'm using my AU to post movies that were rejected for not being the most creative shots in the history of cinema and not belong to the hall of fame of the best films ever made. But are movies I've seen several shots rejected from different people and think they deserve a chance.

if you think that the quality is wanting, vote to delete it! Now if the shots do not tickle your taste ... Sorry!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDeviant
    @kaylua
    "and I was criticized for spending an AU with a film that would easily by NS"
    I think you got that wrong ;) Maybe someone commented on your shot that it would have easily gone through NS with high votes. That's not a bad thing to say. I got that on a few of my AUs too.
    Sometimes it's hard for people who don't speak english as their native language to express their thoughts. Very often it goes completely wrong.
    Maybe I'm wrong now, too. I don't know which shot you mean, so I'm just assuming it's a misunderstanding.

Using AUs for rejected shots is a bit lame in my opinion, but well, do whatever you want with them.

And I agree on the suggestion from Maaike about marking AUs as they are. Just a little sign to let people know.
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    Personnally, I have no problem with the AU, as you said Kaylua, you won them, so you're free to use them, I think it's a fair reward for winning a contest.
    Also, these AU are just more shots in the FF, they don't take the place of another shot from the NS, so I don't see any unfair competition in it.

But, I agree with Maaike on the "candy thing", maybe there too many AU given to the uploaders, I don't know the exact amount from the last contest but it must be several dozens (hundreds??) of free shots, maybe that's a bit too much
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I think there is no problem with AU. People can win them in contest or when they give a donation and used them as they like. But that doesn't mean that the quality will not be checked...
    It is a very good way to make series for instance. Series in the new submission rarely stay together when/if they make it to the FF
    So far I have only used them for a few old rejected shots which I thought would not make it in the new submissions but I still haven't used any of the AU from the birthday contest, I'm saving them for a serie (or mutliple series), if I ever make up my mind on what to do :)
    So far, I dont think we have too many of those each day in FF so I dont see the problem
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    @ Shayah"But, I agree with Maaike on the "candy thing", maybe there too many AU given to the uploaders, I don't know the exact amount from the last contest but it must be several dozens (hundreds??) of free shots, maybe that's a bit too much"

Yeah I believe that there is more than 60 AU from each contest, and if there is a contest each months it will be about 2 shots extra each day:)... I believe that AU just comes in bunches and therefore it can seems to be quite many everytime they come.:)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMaaike
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009 edited
    @kaylua: I had nobody particular in mind, so don't take it personal.
    I just was - and am - interested in other peoples opinion on this matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaylua
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009 edited
    @Deviant
    certainly many things get lost in translation here (and I have to thank the WTM to be trained - and perhaps improving - my English). I just wanted to say that I was criticized, but I not interpreted this as negative criticism. I understood only as an observation ;)

@Maaike
    I'm more relieving to know that it was not directed to me, because I really think I'm using my AU's more than the others. To be honest I felt a little fatigue to set up an interesting series ... But I agree with the idea for a "tag" in the AU.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009
    yeah, there will be a clear indication on the shot, whether it's an AU or not.

And Razzomega, you're right it's several dozen, but not hundreds ;)

1st = 15 awesome uploads
    2nd = 10 awesome uploads
    3rd = 5 awesome uploads
    4th and 5th = 2 awesome uploads
    6th till 10th = 1 awesome upload

x 2 because of uploaders and solvers makes a total of 76 AUs per contest

If the majority thinks that's too much we can easily lower it.
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    I don't know where to put this, so I'll add it here

Awesome upload "disturb" me for a reason : I don't see them. I play a lot in NS, and when I browse NS, I can't see the AU.

could you guys add an option (something like a "include Awesome Upload" check box) so that one could browse all the shots wherever they come from ?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Awesome Uploads go *straight* to FF, they don't spend any time in NS.
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    yeah misterzob, I know that. that's exactly my concern. I'd like to be able to browse the "uploaded shots" without going back to FF.

I mean, with an option ON (like the "Add solved shots"), when you click next, you get to the next uploaded shot, being NS (most of them) or AU, so I don't miss them. (I hope I'm not the only one who would like that)

I'm not really a "rewind and do it again" player, I'm a "let's see if I can solve those new shots" player, and it's a shame to miss those awesome upload, don't you think ?
    I could go back to FF and check like "what didn't I see ?" but it would be really more time consuming to rebrowse between all the allready seen shots to look for AU shots.(and my boss would'nt like it ;))

I don't care at all about my ranking, and I'll add a suggestion, with the same method, could we see rejected shots in the FF too ? ;)
    (before doing that, a clear graphical identification of the different shots is needed NS / FF / AU / Rejected)

(ps : sorry for my really really bad english. I can read it, but writing is really hard for me ;))
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009 edited
    Hey aknilak. As an interim solution, you could try hanging out in IRC. Every time a shot is posted in FF, whether it is an approved NS shot, or a AU, a bot posts a link to it. Very handy.

Plus its good fun anyway, more people need to use the chat.

(and your English is very good indeed)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    @Aknilak,
    By definition the rejected shots are rejected so they simply dont make it to the FF neither they should since they are rejected
    And since the AU go directly to FF, they simply cannot appear in the new submission
    But it would be nice to have a different color for those or a way to select those only in the FF yes
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    yeah IRC... my boss will love that indeed !

but I'll try it at home ;)
    • CommentAuthoraknilak
    deleted shots are deleted, but rejected shots can be viewed (by looking at the profile, or entering the number of the shot in the address bar), and AU shots can be seen by incrementing the ID of the shot. I'm sure it's technically doable ;) (and probably even easyer than skipping the solved shots)
    • CommentAuthorSahi
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011
    Just a bit of a kick here...
    Do Awesome Uploads reset the seven day gap of not being able to post another shot for the movie. Or are they to cool to bother and don't they affect this period?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeNov 18th 2011
    AUs do reset the 7-day wait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2011
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    Yes, I am sure.
    Those are *all* awesome uploads.
    You can always use an AU to bypass the 7-day limit.
    *But* the 7-day timer *will* reset when *any* shot is uploaded. Which means you *can't* upload a *regular* shot if a shot (whether it be regular or AU) was uploaded less than 7 days ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    That's what we call a bug.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    No, that's what we call human error :P
    • CommentAuthorpioa
    It's not a bug... it's a feature :)