Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbubblemilk
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009 edited
    Hi there, I'm fairly new here at WTM and just recently I have started uploading shots.
    One thing I never fully understood was aspect ratio, and today I've posted this shot:

It got deleted due to its ratio, so I came here to the forum to check any related topics and found this:

http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=503&page=1#Item_0

I also use PowerDVD, and my settings were also set to "Original video source size". I've then changed it to "Current video window size", but then the image looks fairly vertically stretched... (To me, at least)

This is what it looks like if I keep the current video window size setting:

With that being said, I'm not sure what the right ratio would be.
    Thanks in advance! :)
    • CommentAuthorcastaka
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    The second one doesn't look distorded like the first one :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorbubblemilk
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2009
    So should I keep the settings as they are now?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009 edited
    The correct setting IS "Current video window size".
    DVD pixels are not square. That's why the "Original video source" is distorted. But when you play it, PowerDVD resize it right how it should look. That's why the "Current video window" is OK.
    Please note, this is NOT true for Blu-ray.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbubblemilk
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009 edited
    I see :) I will keep that in mind from now on! Thanks! (On a separate note, I apologize for creating a new discussion -- I wasn't too sure about this whole issue. XD)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2009
    No problem for creating a new discussion, the forum is here to help people like you out. It's great to see you found you're way here, I think there are also some users who struggle with the same questions but don't make a topic like you :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbubblemilk
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009 edited
    Now, what if I upload an image that is supposedly the right aspect ratio (according to my DVD), but it's still a different ratio from all the other shots posted?
    I'm pretty sure this is correct (my DVD is 1.33:1), though I could be wrong:

I'm just scared it might get deleted because it has a different aspect ratio from all the other shots posted.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2009
    Just leave a shout that it is the DVD aspect ratio, and if possible a link to the site where you got it (under a spoiler warning, ofc) where it can be verified.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Although I dont know why companies release 4:3 versions of widescreen movies (even if you have a 4:3 TV its much better to watch it letterboxed IMO) its not against the rules. If its from DVD then its fine. It is generally customary to add a shout underneath just saying its from a 4:3 version.

I would however recommend that you always buy movies that are in the aspect ratio the director intended, so you see everything they want you to see :) but thats a personal feeling.

edit: asmodai has faster fingers :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorbubblemilk
    Alright, thank you! :) I will provide a link with my copy, just to be safe.

@them00ch Thanks for the suggestion as well, I'll keep that in mind for next time I buy DVDs :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2010
    I'm not sure about this one so before I call for deletion I would like to know what you guys say :)
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/71890
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Gone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    ok that was fast :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    Ok me again ^^... Sorry for that, but with this one I'm not sure if it's intended in the movie, because the scene kind of looks like from an ego perspective http://whatthemovie.com/shot/72178
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2010
    also seems to be gone