Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZo0
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2013
    silhouettes
    hearts
    hot shots
    • CommentAuthorTerry5
    movie mistakes
    animals
    labyrinths
  1.  permalink
    Just a few ideas:
    - contrasts (any contrast will do "black/white", "wet/dry", "hot/cold")
    - wildlife
    - action moves
    • CommentAuthorAndrasthir
    Food and Drinks
    Happiness
    Spectacles in movies (plays, operas...)
    • CommentAuthorMama
    Hello everyone !

- Shoes
    - Creatures (all kind)
    - jewelry
    •  
      CommentAuthorJakeBlues
    Underwater shots
    • CommentAuthorduddles
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013
    Guns pointed at the camera
    Stuffed animals
    • CommentAuthoralex68
    - extreme close-ups/detail shots (it could be a really tough contest)
    - toys
    - monuments

Fortunately, "underwater" or "love" were already mentioned by others :)
    • CommentAuthorvepro
    @alex68, I think the point is for people to say what they want for the contest, even if someone mentioned it before. that way the three most mentioned themes go in the poll with three others from the mods
    • CommentAuthorGwal
    - Space
    - Creatures
    - Haircuts

:-)
    • CommentAuthorCircee
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013 edited
    - Speed , I meen that we can see the speed, il that shot for exemple: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/260846
    or in that one http://whatthemovie.com/shot/191232
    • CommentAuthorBan
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013
    * Colors
    * People from behind
    * Movie mistakes & cameo (but I'm afraid the shots might be too ugly)

Other nice things include text, architecture, landscape/horizon, silhouettes, shows in movies (especially movies in movies), and of course bats for Asmo ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorcloudymary
    1. Cloudy skies
    2. as vepro: RDPL55's idea of concepts (hate and love)
    3. Flying whales
    • CommentAuthorlusvardi
    - Gore.
    - Shoes and feets.
    - Kisses.

=D
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    - architecture
    - means of transportation
    - or only cars
    •  
      CommentAuthorRigborg
    @kinoute
    When will the poll start?
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    we need more suggestions
    • CommentAuthorlcvertigo
    What about

-Time
    - Map
    -and Alex68's idea "extreme close-ups/detail shots" ?
    • CommentAuthorbeatnic
    -(People reading) Books
    -(People riding) Bikes
    -(People reading) Newspapers
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013 edited
    - Tears
    - Screaming people
    - Hats
  2.  permalink
    - Shadows, silhouettes
    - movie(s), citation, screen(s) in the movie
    - movement, blurred shots
    • CommentAuthorblondin
    - cowboys and indians
    - movie's bad guys
    - buildings and architecture
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    All kinds of art, like: paintings, body paintings, tattoos, sculptures, murals, gravity, architecture, make-up, fashion. theater, dancing.

@ Naut: http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=645&Focus=9694#Comment_9694

Or this one, a less then 5 second appearance in the whole movie. :)
    • CommentAuthorbius
    -Creatures (monsters,aliens...)
    -Cool cars (like some James Bond cars!)
    -Kisses (Oh YEAH!)
    • CommentAuthorNezquivoque
    - Art quotations (e.g : http://whatthemovie.com/shot/188554, http://whatthemovie.com/shot/275920, http://whatthemovie.com/shot/264394)
    - Something around scopophilia/voyeurism
    - Motion blur, motion blur, and also motion blur
    • CommentAuthordarkie
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013 edited
    - contrasts
    - movie mistakes
    - costumes
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013
    Legs & feet WTF
    Nudity WTF
    Shouldn't it be sex from behind instead of people from behind? ;-) Damn. I don't really like this selection. Anyway. Hope the contest will be better. :-) Where are the cars? And the buildings? :-(
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013
    legs & feet, nudiy, people from behind were chosen by us. The rest by the community in the previous page
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2013
    [9:51pm] kinoute: if creatures wins, i quit
    • CommentAuthorPzy
    If nudity wins I'm not gonna join it.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Please ignore kinoute's lame attempt at blackmailing.

However, I do agree with him: creatures has several problems.

1: in my (personal) eyes it's too broad: I prefer contests to be more specific.
    2: we already had cats and creepy crawlers, so it is partly more of the same. Those previous two were more specific and fun.

That said: please vote for what you would like to play, and only you. The poll is anonymous and will stay that way. However, while it's running, it can still be fun to discuss a bit on what kind of topic a vault should have: very broad where all kinds of shots are possible, or a lot more specified, so the challenge is to find a shot. What do you people think?
    • CommentAuthorPzy
    I personally prefer broad vaults because of the below mentioned points:

1. Not every user owns 2000 DVDs/Blu-rays with a broad vault he/she would have more options the outcome of this is that there will be less shots - less fun.
    2. Not every user has enough time to search and find shots, there is the same outcome as 1..
    3. If people really dislike a specific vault they can't switch to another shot for example if the vault is about aliens they have no option for another thing if it would be creatures no problem they can just upload a pink unicorn or whatever.
    4. In MY opinion too specific vaults are not so exciting than varied vaults because all shots are so similar.
    5. all the points I forgot.

I don't say specific vaults are bad, I just think broad vaults are more community friendly.

maybe if specific and broad vaults alternate both sides will be satisfied.

@Asmodai
    "2: we already had cats and creepy crawlers, so it is partly more of the same. Those previous two were more specific and fun."
    both are animals, does the subject "creatures" include animals?

" it can still be fun to discuss a bit on what kind of topic a vault should have: very broad where all kinds of shots are possible"
    and now I'm a smart-arse: not all kinds of shots are possible, more are possible. ^^

And as I said I dislike nudity but that's not the subject.^^
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Yes, I think animals certainly are creatures (where creatures are maybe expanded by monsters/aliens).
    • CommentAuthorPzy
    You are right but I think you see it too big. If you see it that way you could also say humans are creatures, plants, bacillus, viruses etc. Then 5 from 6 subjects from the poll would fit.
    I could do similar things with other subjects like uploading animals when the nudity vault would start:

Or with legs and feet:

Maybe a small definition about the vaults would help to know what's meant.
  3.  permalink
    I will upload nude pics of myself if you vote for creatures
  4.  permalink
    I would have loved to have a "bikes" contest btw.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2013
    Sorry, kinoute! Nice to have known you :)

And more ideas are of course welcome for later vaults ;)
    • CommentAuthorBan
    @Pzy I think your sample images all are acceptable, simply playing a little with the theme's interpretation. And that's a very good way to get more different shots like you suggested IMO, and it'd make the contest more fun. I'd hate a nudity or creature vault, but if I start to see fur-less cats or slugs it may start to get fun :)

@olympiquetango you'd just have to release a feature film in theaters and DVD before the vault, could be fun :)

Anyway, I guess the vault will be Nudity… sad things are sad.

(BTW, I find it weird that Underwater has so few votes although it was mentioned here a lot, WTF?)

------------------

On the specific/wide question, I'm more for specific subjects. I like consistent vaults, and players can always play the interpretations game like Pzy did above, which gives unexpected and funny shots. However, with things as wide as "creatures", I'm afraid there would be absolutely anything, so the "theme" idea would be quite lost. We have NS for the "anything" kind :-'

Also, it's not because the theme is specific that it must be hard to find a shot, e.g. "people from behind" is quite specific, but it's easy to find some nice shots fitting, there are plenty in almost every movie. Same for "architecture" and probably "colors". Of course, flying whales are harder :D

But even for harder subjects (but flying whales, where you basically have 3 movies :-'), I also find it nice to try to find a shot fitting, play with the theme's interpretation, etc. We have a week or two to find shots to post, it's enough IMO to think a little about it.

BTW, if we had more vaults, like one per month, maybe people would be happy and only participate to the ones they like :) But maybe it'd also become too common and generate less interest, not sure. OTOH, maybe some people wouldn't feel obligated to post something, avoiding bad quality shots -- any resemblance with a recent vault would be completely intentional :-'

My 2¢
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    (BTW, I find it weird that Underwater has so few votes although it was mentioned here a lot, WTF?) <-- this may very well be because people could suggest three themes, but can only vote on one.. so underwater would be the eternal second place or something.
  5.  permalink
    @Ban: you have not seen any of my movies??? Pity!
    • CommentAuthoralex68
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2013 edited
    Obviously, nothing definitive... but it seems "nudity" could be presumably our next vault contest, so I would like to ask if there is a chance we could extend this concept to include *erotic* and *sexy* without being too explicit (and I hope without distorting, messing up or changing the main theme which was legitimately requested and probably accepted).
    I'm not a bigot, but maybe in this way there will see more sexy dresses and lingerie, passionate kisses and hugs, provocative postures, perturbing and sexy situations, in a few words: trying to avoid an overdose of monotonous (?!?) flesh and skin. I know we can be creative using shots containing funny nudity, innocent babies, paintings and drawings, only chaste parts, silhouettes, etc. but, and maybe I'm wrong (vaults alway surprised me in how imaginative wtm users are and how much good taste they have :) ), I fear there will be too many "monothematic" snapshots, if you know what I mean... Just my 2 cents :)
    • CommentAuthorskeuhp0uet
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2013
    I would say....
    - cameras
    - shoes
    - silhouettes
    :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZo0
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2013
    - religion
    - skies

I would have preferred "love" instead of the "nudity" theme !
    • CommentAuthorErtai
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013 edited
    I think that if you do a second poll (after "nudity" wins) to ask if the majority likes "nudity" the answer will be no...
    The outcome of the poll at the moment just shows that 1/3 of users wants to see naked bodies and 2/3 don't. But those 2/3 don't agree on one theme but split on several ones. With less options to choose from the poll would see "creatures" in front (not that I voted for it, I haven't...).
    But I guess this will never change around here. If a snapshot shows a saggy half naked boob, it will get to FF. Seriously, there is 80+ percent of the internet where you can see naked bodies. So I don't understand this enthusiasm for nudity.
    I understand that there is a whole sub culture for movie fans that only talks about who is naked in which movie and what you see of that person. I know that, but I can't understand it. For me, this just sounds like inmatures wanking to movies. If anybody is upset about that last comment, maybe I hit a nerv there ;)

My girlfriend and I just agreed to not participate in a contest "nudity", maybe others feel the same way. Again, I don't know. It just seems to me that there is a whole lot of nudity in the normal NS or FF which is OK. But a contest for it, I don't know...
    • CommentAuthorBan
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013
    > I think that if you do a second poll (after "nudity" wins) to ask if the majority likes "nudity" the answer will be no...
    > The outcome of the poll at the moment just shows that 1/3 of users wants to see naked bodies and 2/3 don't. But those 2/3 don't agree on one theme but split on several ones. With less options to choose from the poll would see "creatures" in front (not that I voted for it, I haven't...).

Probably, but you can always re-do votes until the result satisfies you, but it won't be more right. We need a theme, so not "whether or not nudity", but "what", so if you get "no" to you new poll, what will you chose?
    I mean, I don't like that nudity wins, but IMHO it's just fair if people want it for it to win. Of course, if there were less choices maybe nudity wouldn't have won because some people probably would simply have voted "not nudity", but it wasn't done this way so… One could always chose e.g. to re-do the poll with the 2 highest ranked options and see, but I also think it'd be unfair if it wasn't clear from the start -- and it would only be to "fight" against nudity.
    Anyway my point is that if nudity wins, we just got to deal with it, no need to whine about it. Just try to ignore it if you feel like it.

> But I guess this will never change around here. If a snapshot shows a saggy half naked boob, it will get to FF. Seriously, there is 80+ percent of the internet where you can see naked bodies. So I don't understand this enthusiasm for nudity.

Agreed, me neither. Moreover 80% of WTM's nudity isn't aesthetic per se, it's more like meat that anything. Sorry.

> My girlfriend and I just agreed to not participate in a contest "nudity", maybe others feel the same way. Again, I don't know.

Call for abstention to show disapproval, that's indeed a common way :)
    However, I don't feel this way: I don't particularly like the theme, but I'll still give it a try and see if I get fun with it. I'm not here to fight for puritans or something, and I'm not shocked at all by nudity. So if players find beautiful and interesting shots, I still think it can be nice. Probably not as nice as if it was People from Behind, but still ;)

Also, if you want to fight it with humor, you might play it like Pzy suggested: play with the theme and post ugly furless cats ;)

> It just seems to me that there is a whole lot of nudity in the normal NS or FF which is OK. But a contest for it, I don't know...

I also feel there is too much (boring) nudity on the NS/FF/A, but I just don't care. I vote most nudity snaps very low, and that's it. Again, if people want a nudity contest, I don't see why anyone would stop those from being happy to do it. It's not like we would always have it, next time nudity won't be an option and we'll get something better (IMO) and we'll be happy.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013
    Any new suggestions for the next one?
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013 edited
    We need six themes for the poll starting on monday. I suggest:

- (extreme) Close-ups
    - Underwater shots or water (any form)
    - Legs & feet
    - Contrasts (not necessarily colors but like wet/dry & hot/cold etc as peter_crucq suggested, contrasts in the shot)
    - Time
    - Colors
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013
    Among those already mentioned:
    - Stairs
    - Legs & Feet
    - Rain
    - Addictive Things
    - Masks
    - Means of Transport

and... "WTF am I looking at?"
    • CommentAuthorBan
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013 edited
    - Colors
    - Movie artifacts (here I mean particular objects, like http://whatthemovie.com/shot/109327 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/255175 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/256150 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/21774 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/1035 …)
    - Silhouettes
    - Landscape/horizons (with no one in it, or only far away)
    - Text
    - Water (incl. underwater, sea, rivers, lakes, etc.)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013
    Ooh, I like underwater!

I'd also go for:

- Ways of transports
    - Stairs
    - Legs & Feet
    - Outer Space
    - Newspapers