Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010
    Hi everyone,
    I don't understand why I can win 5 WTM bucks just by rating a movie and nothing by uploading snapshots (in new submission, start or end shot). Isn't it a little bit unfair ?
    Uploading ask more time and motivation than rating, isn't it ?
    Especially for people - like me - who are almost every time forced, in a first place, to create a new movie page with all IMDB's informations before to be able to upload one snapshot of a marvellous silent or iranian movie....
    Don't you thing that winning a few WTM bucks could be a kind of motivation for people ?
    What do you think about that ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Totally agree !
    Be careful, you are giving hints :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    I get most motivation at WTM from successful uploading, with good ratings or enthousiastic mods. Dont need bucks for it.......
    • CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    @pspan :
    Of course I feel the same thing, I play the game with the same thrill , but why we need motivation for rating ?
    and why I can get 2 WTM bucks for adding an alternative title to a movie and nothing for uploading a start or end snapshot after all necessary steps (cut away black borders....)
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Agree with Inatbnf
    Would be a motivation, but also a way of acknowledging (nog exactly the word i mean, i mean the dutch word "erkenning" but can;'t think of a better translation:))
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2010 edited
    We need motivation for rating so the selection process works :) If no-one rated shots, they wouldnt get judged fairly and chosen for FF. (yeah I know you can argue its not fair etc.. but thats another arguement)

And I dont think anyone needs motivation for uploading, theres over 300 images in NS at the moment. Half of them fail, if hundreds of people started uploading to get their bucks, the acceptance ratio would get even lower!

And like pspan says, I upload so I can try to promote the movies I like and love, not for bucks. I also have to add movies to the database sometimes, and quite often cant get a single shot through for the film because they arent "awesome" enough! but I keep trying, thats the fun. A couple of people have bought movies I have uploaded because of my recommendations and shots, and thats enough reward for me :) (the leaderboard helps too :) )

I think the start/end snapshots need a leaderboard too, like normal uploads, that might be incentive enough for people to try and upload start/end shots, and promote films that arent in the database yet or have little representation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Mods, you have to think about it with marxist terms: what happens if the people stop voting ?
    Not much. WTM will find a way to select shots and the whole business will continue.
    But if we, the people, stop uploading shots in a big general strike, then WTM is dead :)

Of course the capitalist point of view is to say: why giving bucks for a goods that is already very abundant for free ?

OK. Let's negociate in a peaceful social-democrat way: dear mods, it would be very kind and fair if you could give some bucks for each upload. 10 could be a good deal. You propose 1 ? OK for 1 ! It is a great victory of the reasonable center left. We are going to calm down the sufragette.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    :)
    I didn't read them00ch's arguments before writing mine.
    I think he is definitely on the capitalist side :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @efji "OK. Let's negociate in a peaceful social-democrat way: dear mods, it would be very kind and fair if you could give some bucks for each upload. 10 could be a good deal. You propose 1 ? OK for 1 ! It is a great victory of the reasonable center left. We are going to calm down the sufragette."

I don't know why you are appealing to the mods, we have no say in this whatsoever, we are just players like yourself, regardless of our political influences :P

EDIT: http://whatthemovie.com/page/moderator
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    I don't want bucks for uploading. I think it's great when my shots go to the feature films, that's really enough for me.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    efji, if people will strike, WTM will die and people will cease having a hobby. You all choose to play here! The creators put lots of time and effort in this, for YOUR entertainment, so why strike against that? "Oh, people don't do enough to please me, so I will ignore them."
    And if you must have political analogies, I have one for you:
    "The people are revolting!"
    "Let them eat cake."

EDIT: Someone just brought to my attention that a strike is a great idea. That way I can upload like crazy and all my shots will go through, so please do!
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    That's a nice idea, a cake for an upload!
    • CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010 edited
    Please, don't throw us to the lions ! So ok for the Feature Films, why not, but please answer to my question :
    Why can we get 2 WTM Bucks for adding an alternative title and nothing for uploading a start/ end snapshot ?

And to be totally fair with you : I only rate movies who really deserve it (good or bad), but when I'm fed up with my rank in the hierarchy, I suddenly rate a maximum per day to get enough bucks and proceed to the next step. Because, here and now, rating is the the only way to win bucks (with alternatives titles) if your english is too bad to write a review.... And this is not fair.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2010
    Yes, I agree that a reward to adding uploading start/end-shots, or adding trailers etc to the site can be a good thing. Just not for normal uploads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Actually my real ideal is anarchy. I am against all these bucks and their side effects (unfair voting behaviour and so on). I am also against hierarchy and especially false hierarchy. A monkey can click 10000 times at random on a scale from 1 to 10.

And of course I play for fun :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Did you just call yourself a monkey?
  1.  permalink
    Believe me efji, no one cares for the uploaders lol ^^
    I've spent hours uploading pictures for this site (at a time when there wasn't 300 uploads/day) and I still don't have any recognition !
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    aaaaaah :'( theoffice911

do you need a hug? :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    @lnatbnf
    "Why can we get 2 WTM Bucks for adding an alternative title and nothing for uploading a start/ end snapshot ?"
    I think it's because WTM gets all the uploads it needs but lacks alternative titles on many movies.

I understand it seems unfair when you think of the work needed to make a nice snapshot from a movie not in the DB yet... and compare it with copying and pasting an IMDb aka title.
    But on the other hand, we already get many crappy uploads from divx, promo stills or else, and giving away bucks for uploads might just make that worse.
  2.  permalink
    "The people are revolting!"
    "Let them shower."
    • CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    @MisterZob : so we are all "punished" because of bad uploaders ?

My question is always the same : why can I get some bucks in doing nothing else than judging other's work and nothing when I'm participating.... ?
    And when I'm telling this, you know what I mean : I don't hesitate to participate entirely, with all my heart ; after all, here, I'm a little bit the body double of Scarlett Johansson.... And I did it merrily just for 2 awesome uploads.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    you cant buy anything with bucks, but uploading makes you immortal....
  3.  permalink
    I don't need WTM bucks for uploading start/end shots. I do it for pure pleasure (and movie page looks better when it has a title shot) :) Great bonus is, when someone adds my start shot to his favourites.
    :)
  4.  permalink
    In all honesty, I say fuck the bucks. It's no indication of any sort of achievement, and nobody considers it as such. If someone has 120000 bucks but 20 solves and 4 uploads, that does not send the signal of a convinced, happy WTM player to me. But someone with 0 bucks but twelve million solves and five thousand uploads, then there's someone who's having a good time.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Hear hear!
    And besides, uploaders DO get recognised. There is a leader-board, and there are memorabilia. You even can get a holy handgrenade, or a little Gizmo! And I think that the handgrenade may be among the rarest memorabilia out there, next to hypnotoad and brainslug. By my count, only 15 people have it!
    Next to that, there is also the possibility that a sidequest-host picks one of your shots for a sidequest, and you win rocky's glove and awesome uploads!
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Maybe something like 5 bucks for every fav on your shot???
    It triggers you to upload really awesome shots:)
  5.  permalink
    @rulo
    Think that's a good idea. But the downside with that is Disney shots for example will become horrendously exploited, since they're everybody's favorites.

Maybe an Awesome Upload should be given to the 3 highest rated and most favourited shots of the month or something similar. Anyway, I'm also happy uploading without all that. :)
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010
    Hi !

I think I have upload a lot of shots... and it's true, it takes a lot of time. But I don't care of getting bucks or not for this. But as MisterZob said there are too much shots from DivX and so on,So does it mean that some people are cheating ?? But I thought the rules were clear enough : you must upload from a DVD. So, if someone is caught uploadind from divx or something like that, he shoukd get one warning and then, if he do it once more : impossible for him to upload again (during one year perhaps)... Uploading from divx or other stuff like that is realy unfair in my opinion; it can only be bad for WTM and I think nobody wants it... If all cheaters are banned from upload, I think it will be OK and it will be possible to get bucks when you upload (and perhaps it will decrease a bit the number of upload...). But I think Asmodai is right... we get pretty memorabilia for our uploads it's enough !!
    I disagree with rulo (sorry), because it's gonna be the same problem as with the voting... movies that are the most fav are quite always the most recognized... and the ones who want to get bucks will post always the same movies... and so on...
  6.  permalink
    Technically you can get banned if you break the uploading rules, it says so in the selection screen. But I've never actually seen it carried out myself. Dunno if that means it doesn't happen, though.
  7.  permalink
    Hmm...I think it's quite understandable to think it's somewhat unfair not gaining anything with something that takes much more time and effort, but I think the system works just fine. I mean, it's all about the fun, isn't it? Ok, it's nice to earn some bucks and get higher "levels", but I'd enjoy myself just the same if the only things I could do were solve stuff and upload stuff. Half the fun of uploading things is to see what other people think of it, checking once in a while to see if your shot is getting a good rating and nice comments and so on...and that's where motivating people to vote comes in. Wouldn't it suck if one took quite some time to choose a shot and cut bars and etc and no one ever rated or commented it? So one would get bucks for uploaing but not necessarely the satisfaction of seing the shot be chosen by the public =P I think we get enough bucks for enough stuff, AND there's gonna be more contests now, right? So that's one more motivating thing =)
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    @RDPL55, when we catch people who upload only DIVX 3 or 4 times in the row, they get warned and if they continue, they get banned, this is already happening. The thing is, if we would ban everyone who sometimes post shot not coming from dvd, lots of people would be banned from the community in my opinion (sad but true)... anyway, the best thing to do is to keep an eye on those shots and not to let them go through and ban people who obviously only upload this kind
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    @Chrisy
    The people you ban now are only banned from uploading right? So they can still participate in the rest of the community.
    With the huge amount of NS stills, i don't think it would be a bad idea to follow the rules a bit stricter. As long as people get a warning, and a chance to
    change their uploading behavoir, i don't think a ban would be a bad thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I have already make this remark some time ago but it worth doing it again.

There are two reasons for favouring the dvd source: copyright and quality.

If the main reason is copyright, ok I wouldn't say nothing more.

But you seem to mix up format and quality.
    divx is not always crappy. I have personally done many dvd copies in divx format having very high quality,
    almost indistinguishable from the original (some of them are already on WTM. Hope I will not be banned).
    The HD numerical TV signal is coded in MP4 which is another name for divx...
    Posting shots taken from numerical recordings is also forbidden ?

Talking about quality, I am sure that all of you have in your dvd collection many dvds having a very very poor quality...

On the other side, I frequently find on WTM studio shots and promotional shots that reach the FF section. When I am sure and can find the proof on google image, I vote for deletion, but sometimes I am only 90% sure (looking at aspect ratio, too good image quality, light etc) and make only a shout. This kind of attitude is much more unconvenient than posting good quality divx imho.
    • CommentAuthorLeonardoS
    What is the purpose of earning bucks if a Property Master does the same thing that a Studio Boss?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    The shiny memorabilium, ofcourse! ;)
    And the bigger WTM will get, the more things that need doing, and the more changes between ranks there can be. In WTM 1, there weren't alt titles or tags, but now there are, and people with sufficiant rank can add/delete them. In WTM 3, there might be an option where people with the higher ranks can sort shots on order of where they are in the film (just saying something, not a working idea or smth).
  8.  permalink
    +
    • CommentAuthorLeonardoS
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010 edited
    Ok, so i'll just take my bucks, and expect another functions. :P
    I think it isn't necessary give bucks for upload. This way is good IMO.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    I am fine with uploads being their own reward . . . it really is nice to see people comment (or even complain sometimes) about your shot . . . lol . . . that's why I always click the "this shout rocks" to anyone that comments on any of my shots . . .
    • CommentAuthorquipster
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010 edited
    If bucks are wanted for uploading, WTM could always award bucks only for shots that make it to the FF board. That would reward the uploaders and keep the quality of the shots high.
  9.  permalink
    Same problem. You'd get people only uploading LotR and Johnny Depp shots, because chances of those going through are a lot higher than normal shots.

Really, I still say fuck the bucks. Just play the damn game. :p
    • CommentAuthorrevani
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010
    What are bucks?
    oh wait.. never mind, i never bother looking at how much i have because i don't care.. just play the game :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010 edited
    i agree with revani and OhLookBirdies. The thrill of getting a shot to FF is enough of a reward for me, as is the thrill of solving shots.
    Plus, there are already rewards for uploading, in the form of Memorabilia and the Hall of Fame.
  10.  permalink
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Uhoh, invasion of the dots. Best call pacman.
  11.  permalink
    Thumbs up for the pacman comment =P
    • CommentAuthorgp
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    people wouldnt be uploading or voting if they were doing it from WTM bucks, they're quite unnecessary in that respect. high wtm bucks leading to someone whos rated and/or reviewed a lot of films getting more control over deletion votes is a nice to create a self policing community, but thats because they're involved and have stuck around rather than bucks. the bucks label is pretty charged and seems to be what half this thread is about