Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    The DVD collection page just made me think about people trying to afford a nice DVD library.

I can help in the US and hopefully some of the other members can help with overseas deals . . .

Apart from DVD's that I really want to own as soon as they come out, I get most of my collection used. Blockbuster Video stores are constantly running specials on previously viewed DVD's. The newer used ones (around 2 weeks to 1 month old and regularly priced at $14.99) can be had for 2 or 3 for $20 (depending on the store) during almost bi-weekly sales . . and older used DVD's (regularly priced at $9.99) can be had at 4 or 5 for $20 (depending on the store) during the same sales . . .

I have expanded my collection greatly and have only had to take back 2 DVD's, out of hundreds, because of scratches (which they replaced for free). I hope that helps someone out . . .

Happy hunting . . . :)
  1.  permalink
    For the Dutchies, Free Record Shop is generally overpriced, but they regularly have good deals. I've got quite a lot of my own collection from five-for-a-tenner deals there. Also, some locations of De Slegte sell second-hand DVDs as well as books.
  2.  permalink
    Most people in the UK probably know it already but play.com have a huge selection, great prices and often do deals. I'm a regular customer and never had any problems. Some less ordinary purchases might take a few days more but shipping times are very reasonable. Usually get DVDs, books etc after 3-4 working days. Free delivery on everything!
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010
    Yep, my parents live in the Netherlands, I got a lot of DVDs from the 5 for 10€ deal at freerecordshop.
    As for europeans in general, amazon.co.uk is very cheap on most DVDs (3-6 pounds each, add 10% to get € prices) and shipping to mainland euros is only another 2€ approximately. This has become my new main source for buying DVDs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorholynoise
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010
    Yep, I also buy more on amazon.co.uk than on amazon.de
    But I hav to admit amazon.de also has some great deals from time to time (the buy 4 pay 3, 3 BluRays for 30€, 4 DVDs for 20€,... -deals)
  3.  permalink
    I use the same trick as siren34 =P Blockbuster here also sells their used DVDs for nice prices after a while (got Hulk yesterday for R$8...that's like 3,50 US dollars!), and actually, Blockbuster in Brasil was sold to a big store named Americanas, and they sell brand new DVDs for R$12,90 (most of them, when it's passed around a year from the releasing). Never tried Amazon, but here we have an online store named Submarino that's freaking awesome when it comes to price and disponibility too =)
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010
    amazon.co.uk is really nice, they have a lot and the pound is quite cheap now. Don't forget to click on the link on wtm when you order something... ;)
    for dutch people, i like to use www.vergelijk.nl to see if a dvd is avalaible in holland and where to get it the cheapest (but don't rely on them 100%).
  4.  permalink
    for all dutchies soon at hollywood factory Capelle vele warner blu-rays voor 9,99
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2010
    i stopped buying german dvds ~1,5 years ago, except for special deals. apart from that, i'm ordering most of my dvds from the uk (amazon.co.uk, thehut.com, play.com). dvd prices in the UK are generally lower, and the pound's really cheap since a year or so. delivery included, you usually save up to 30-50%, depending on the dvd. box sets are particularly cheap. for example, i got the alien quadrilogy for ~13 EUR (incl shipping). would've cost me 45 EUR in germany.

i'm not really into buying used dvds. a lot of people don't really treat their dvds that well, so most of the time there are scratches on the covers or discs, and that's just too annoying for me. :D
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010
    For the Dutch people:
    Every week in the newspaper AD will there be a coupon (saturday and monday editions, starting this saturday) that you can use to buy a James Bond movie at Free Record Shop or Primera for 4.95. A new film every week, starting with Dr. No next week.
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010
    This thread has already helped me, I totally overlooked the amazon.de deal mentioned by holynoise (3 BluRays for 30€), so thanks for that. :)
    • CommentAuthorDansie
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2010 edited
    In Holland both the Music Store and Free Record Shop have lots of dvd's on sale for 2,50 continuesly.
    They add new ones to the sale every month or so, and you can check their websites to keep track
    on the collection. You can also order the dvd's online and Free Record Shop will even ship the dvd's to your
    local Free Record Shop for free so you can pick them up there. Nice right?

Don't expect the newest titles, but I have seen monster's ball, chaos, running scared, titanic, mission impossible 2,
    16 blocks, two for the money and many more.

Oh and boxsets are great indeed!
    Blade 1,2 and 3 for 8 euro's
    The Bourne Collection for 15 euro's
    Xmen 1,2,3 plus Wolverine for 25 euro's
    Spiderman 1,2,3 for 15 euro's

I like!
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2010
    I used to buy second-hand from Ebay, sometimes there is a great catch! But it takes time to scroll trough the pages and it is hard to find a DVD if you are looking for it. But if you want a DVD for one dollar/euro, you know what to do. And if you buy more stuff from the same seller, there's a discount on the shipping bill!