Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010
    I was kind of wondering, why do we all use the nicknames that we use on this site? Is there a story behind it, or it is just something you thought was funny at the moment you registered.

i guess some of us are curious of why them00ch, tliff, Asmodai, naut and ZomBeeBob (To name a few examples) is calling themself by just that name.

Share your thoughts and (if you don't mind) your "Nickname-story)
  1.  permalink
    Something that popped up in an IRC conversation once, ages ago. Can't for me life remember the context now, but I then adopted it as my nickname for places where Sebas was already taken, or I didn't want to use Sebas for some reason.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    start with garfield,
    reverse direction, increase coolness, get tliffrag
    drop long part, get tliff, done

easy to remember, virtually unused
    you might also encounter me as tliffy, tliffinat0r or TLF
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    I used to do a bit of online gaming a couple of years ago and I always played as Zombie (because I like Zombies) on my own computer. But Zombie was ALWAYS taken when I played online, so I changed the spelling to "ZomBee" instead. (And I liked the idea of a Zombie Bee). The BOB ending is an acronym of my name that people started calling me by (since my name is so damn long).
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2010 edited
    @ tliff: Brilliant, just brilliant. whould NEVER have guessed that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    them00ch (or m00ch) comes from the fact I used to be homeless for a couple of years. I spent some time on the streets, but I was lucky enough to have a few friends who would let me "mooch" off them occasionally, with a hot dinner here and there and a roof over my head for a night or two. Even though my life is back on track now I always feel like a bit of a mooch - but I will pay them back when I make my millions!

Collins dictionary definition of mooch:

mooch vb(Slang)
    1. to loiter or walk aimlessly,
    2. to cadge or scrounge.
  2.  permalink
    Pinokio1983... Well, Pinokio is polish for Pinocchio (duh!), 1983 is my year of birth... And I've been using for (I think) ten years now. And to tell you the truth, I don't know why. I think, when I needed an email address for the first time I just typed first thing that popped into my mind. And it stayed that way ever since. Couple of my friends call me "puppet" because of the Pinokio thing :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    One of my first computer games I spent way too much time on was Apeiron ( http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/apeironx/ ). A key element of the game were mushrooms and the default name in the highscore list was fungus_mungus which I seemed to like for some strange kind of reasons I'm not aware of anymore today. Since then I'm using fungus as a nick and because it is taken from time to time you'll find me as fungus_mungus in some places (e.g. on last.fm or imdb).
    • CommentAuthorDansie
    My nickname simply consist of the first three letters of my first name plus the first three letters of my last name
    Danielle Sienema --> DanSie

I came up with it in the fourth grade or something when I created my very first email adres. Since then I've started dancing (I used to be a gymnast) and ultimately teaching dance classes, and as Dancing = Dansen in the land of the Dutchies people have even started calling me Dansie in real life... And there you have it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    them00ch: reminds me of Minnie the Moocher
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    LordMyst

I have the name online for 10 years now of so

but
    first I was Mysterio
    than Lord Mysterio
    and now LordMyst :)
    • CommentAuthorPPKNHoneyB
    Very touching history you have them00ch.
    And ZomBeeBob..i don't know why but i always thought your nickname has something to do with Zaphod BeebleBrox.HAHAha now i see i was totally wrong.

Well, about mine..if it's anyone interest..mine it's a boyfriend/girlfriend thing..my real name is Marcella but most of the people call me Bonni(childhood stuff) and
    me and my ex-boyfriend just love the robbers from the first scene of Pulp Fiction..so he used to call me Honey "Bonni" and i used to call him Pumpkin.
    PPKN from Pumpkin and HoneyB from Honey Bonni.
    Well, the boyfriend's gone..but the nickname still here.lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I used to learn latin on my secondary school. Sometime in the last weeks of the schoolyear I was flipping through the pages of my Latin - Dutch dictionary aimlessly, when I finally reached the end. The last word in the dictionary was zythum. I thought it was kinda symbolic since I already knew I would drop latin in the next year. Next to that, and a lot more important, the meaning of zythum was beer and I like beer :D Since zythum was not really cool and everywhere around (It got google hits :( ) I had to adjust it a little: Zythux!
    • CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    I kind of thought that most of he people here just picked a name out of the blue when they registered. BUt there is a a lot of thought behind most of these "nicks". I'm impressed.

@PPKNHoneyB: I'm not a big fan of Hitchhickers, but good thinking though. Kind of though about using my other "nick" wich is "AngusMacBob" (Since i'm a huge MacGyver fan) but ZomBeeBob was more "horror-themed" so I choose that.

Edit: Everyone who can guess the person who likes to use the word "Thoght" in every sentence, raise there hands now (I need to extend my English vocabulary) (And fix my spell checker)
    • CommentAuthorSebassie1
    First of all; @ZombeeBob.. great topic!

My nickname; Sebassie1
    Well my real name is: Sebastiaan, with this name you can make a lot of variations... :-)
    First of all, we have; Sebas.. Bastiaan.. Bas.. and of course for our Dutch fellows; Bassie.. from Bassie & Adriaan!
    Come to think of it, i should post some shots of their movies.. ;-)

Well now; but never i was called Sebassie.. so that's why i came up with it myself! And the 1 stands for.. that i'm the first
    with this nickname here (i think) :-p
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    My nickname is JohannaP. Everyone calls me Petra but that was already taken. My official name is Johanna (yeah I know...) so I chose that, with the P of Petra behind it. Booooooooring ;-))
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    I call myself Razzomega because it five year ago sounded like a cool nickname and then I have kept it. My real name is Rasmus (Razz) and then i put an omega after because I thought that omega was nice(I know it's silly :P)
    You can also seperate the name into
    Razz-Omega
    Raz-Zo-Mega
    and
    Razzo-Mega :P! LOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    What a shock, I always read it as Razzo-Mega :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    @Zythux: Haha :-P That must have been a enormous shock for you!
    • CommentAuthorrevani
    my name comes from a game actually, star wars knights of the old republic from a few years back.
    revan was the most badass jedi ever and everywhere i went my real name (sam) was already taken.
    so i thought about what name would be cool, so that stuck, then other people used it as well so i couldn't use it anyway.
    then i put an 'i' behind it and that stuck :P

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revan )
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010
    My name comes from the character by the same name from a line of figures called "Tortured Souls", which was actually designed by Clive Barker. The toyline also came with a short story written by Barker, and Agonistes just happened to be my favorite character story wise and design wise, so I simply adopted that name. Here a picture of the figure and a link with some elaboration on the character in case someone's interested:
    http://www.oafe.net/shocka/ts_1_agon.php
    • CommentAuthorfabster
    Nothing too spectacular here, just a variation of my first name (Fabian). :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    @ Razzomega: I knew about the first part of you nick, but I always thought that you were a huge fan of "The Omega Man" with Charlton Heston. :-)

Am I glad I made this thread.. Hell Yeah :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    @ZomBeeBob, actually I have never seen that movie, unfortunately :(! But maybe I should see it because of my name :) I also like Omega-3 fatty acid xD!
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    My nickname (as does revani's) also comes from a game. In the Halo franchise, there is an ancient races, called the Forerunner.
    I just thought it looked cool, so started using it online. Unfortionately the name is often taken, so i also use Gruntforerunner (a grunt is the most basic enemy in the halo games)
    • CommentAuthorVinceNet
    My nickname is pretty boring too, first time I got online about 15 years ago I had to find a nickname... My name being Vincent, being on the internet (aka the net) it was pretty quick to get VinceNet. I'm surprised I've never met another one :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    My nickname is the most boring you can imagine. My initials are F.J. and, as I was a big fan of Tintin as a child, I used the same trick than Hergé and just took my initials phonetically as a nickname ("J" in french is pronounced "jee" and "jee" can be written "ji").
    • CommentAuthorlnatbnf
    And of course, everybody waits explanation about one nickname : MisterZob !

MisterZob, where are you ?

Why this disturbing nickname with this so gentle picture ?
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    Tof means cool/great or something in dutch. So toffetomas is cool tomas. I think it's a perfect name for the internet, where people pretend to be cool all the time. I choose the name cause it's an alliteration and its just the worst and most stupid name i could think of.
  3.  permalink
    Freudianspud is of course a contraction of Freudian and Spud.
    Freudian because of the 'freudian slip' where you mean to say one thing, but because you are thinking of something else, you slip up (Can anyone tell me where to find my boobs? rather than Can anyone tell me where to find my books?). Mostly, these slip-ups are hilarious, so that's how that part came to be.
    Spud because someone once told me I looked like Spud Boy from Trainspotting. The nickname stuck and some people, especially in the paintball world, still call me by that name.
    The combination of the two is hardly ever taken, so I generally use that. If I need something more formal it's usually 'RJWPS', which are the first letters of ALL my names: Rutger Johannes Willem Peter Schreuders. That's a Dutch name, in case you were wondering. I was baptised, as you can see.
    •  
      CommentAuthormikebozzio
    Beside movies I like music too, so:

mike (Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater's drummer)
    bozzio (Terry Bozzio - Zappa's Drummer)
    • CommentAuthorDaria
    Well my nickname is nothing special. "Daria von Winhall" ist the name of one of my characters in a computer game I'm playing. My usual name is TheRogue ... NOT named after Rogue in X-Men, but after a guild of thieves from a book I once read. Since more and more people keep telling me, that I'm named like the girl from x-men I am not using this name so often anymore.
    I have a new nick now, but thought of it some weeks after I registered at wtm and didn't want to make a new account. From now on it will be NextThursday. And I like this one very much :)
    • CommentAuthorOberstKlink
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2010 edited
    My nickname is the product of a certain obsession with the TV series "Hogan's Heroes" or "Ein Käfig voller Helden" in German.
    I absolutely love Werner Klemperer's character "Oberst Klink". One cannot help loving his humour and tantrums.
    •  
      CommentAuthorholynoise
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2010
    Since I don't like my old/usual nickname anymore I switched to use holynoise if it is available.
    holynoise is the name of a little bulletin board I'm running for some refugees of a (former) bigger community.
  4.  permalink
    Nice to see all these stories behind the names you guys use. I'd never figure them out x3 I have a rather silly nickname, I guess =P

I used to play Ragnarok Online a long long time ago. You can capture some of the monsters in the game as pets, and there was one thing called Munak I captured and didn't know how to name it. It has it's own story - something like a boy and a girl who were brutally murdered and kept mourning their love everlasting or anything like that. It had that red robe and that floating style and the whole melancholy thing, and I thought of things that stand between and the red, and sunset is that part of the day that's not day nor night, it's just something in between...so I named her Sunset Walker. And I'm kinda something that's always somewhere between too, so when I stopped playing I kept the name for me.

Too much writing for that xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorkkumendes
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010 edited
    My child nickname is Cacau (cocoa), in portuguese KKU have almost the same pronunciation, my name is big everyone calls me KKU and Mendes is my last name. That's the boring story behind my nickname. I don't have imagination like you guys. :D
  5.  permalink
    Are you related to Sam Mendes ^_^ ?
    • CommentAuthorTerry5
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010
    Terry5 is my old CB Radio Name..since CB, in Germany, is mostly dead,the only thing remained is the name.
    I have the name from the neighbors dog,because i often had a cold nose. :)
    • CommentAuthoricemotion
    A few years back we had to make up a company name for ourselves during my studies and then design a logo for it. I came up with I.c.e Motion coz I like well water and Ice is frozen water.. motion has to do with animation and the whole is a way of saying "I see emotion" which I think is important in media and entertainment.. to touch the viewer and evoke an emotion.

I've used it ever since, mainly for my own photography website and as a nickname all over the place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkkumendes
    LOL I dunno theoffice911... Does he have brazillian relatives? :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2010 edited
    One day, 15 years ago, the beautiful spotty, slow, awkward big boy that I was, has been named as a "dinosaure" by a friend of mine (not my friend anymore now...). As my last name is "Papet", I tried to transform this new developing patronyme to a nice personnal nickname, with a royal and haughty "Le" ("the") in the front, and it gave "Le-Pap-osaure", and my life became amazing and unique since this day.
    Of course I used this nickname for every avatars I played, and as my entire life amounts to a geek's nirvana, now everybody knows me as LePaposaure, alias Papo for my close and lazy friends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAmbi
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010
    Ambi. It's an abbreviation of Ambisextra. Main character from "Gandahar" - my favourite animation from childhood. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095525/
    • CommentAuthoranestie
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2010
    well my name is Anestis, but because it's Greek the pronunciation is spelled as anEstie. I'm lucky enough having a name that very few people have and never had a problem like my nickname being taken.

btw, @agonistes : your name in Greek means fighters or warriors. plural yes. i always thought you got it from some ancient history books or something. just wanted to let you know since we all reveal the hidden messages of our nicks.
  6.  permalink
    It's a random combination of some characters from TV names - Carrie from Carrie Bradshaw (Sex And The City) ;) Northman from Eric Northman (True Blood) ;) I like Carrie's name and my second name is Caroline - Caroline can be named 'carrie' as well ;D And i really like the character of Eric Northman from book series and from the TV series so I took his last name to create CarrieNorthman ;)
  7.  permalink
    Great stories are revealed behind nicknames!
    I enjoyed reading you all.

Palahniuk is from Chuck Palahniuk: the american novelist behind Invisible Monsters, Choke, Survivor and, of course, Fight Club.
    When I saw Fight Club alone in a huge empty theater on the 24th december 1999, my knees were shaking. What is that! Who wrote this!

007: mmmh, well… I was a huge Bond fan at seven years old. At the time I considered The Spy Who Loved Me the best movie ever! It was in 1977.
    And Barbara Bach was a very disturbing "alien" to me.

A few years ago I was broke. I decided to sell stuff quickly on eBay. I was in a hurry when I registered and I made up this weird combination. That's it!
  8.  permalink
    @Palahniuk007
    I always knew I knew that name from somewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it. The silly thing is that 'Fight Club' is just a few inches to my right on a bookshelf...
    • CommentAuthorTaartstaart
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited
    Haha, nice to read all this.

I wanted to make an Palindrome (as "Red rum, sir, is murder") as a variation on my own name (Sara), but got stuck with 'Taartstaart' :P, it's virtually unused, sounds funny (a bit Dutch though) and is a bit crazy.

"Taart" is Dutch for pie and "Staart" is something like a (pony)tail. Crazy combination, but because I can't make up anything else and this one is never in use, I 'adopted it' :P (Anyone who has a spare nickname / knows something better... shoot :P, because my name doesn't really lend itself for abbreviations, I don't have a real 'nickname' ;))

Also I have had names like "QuisaMagistra" and "Raven". (Before the Emo-thing came up ;))
  9.  permalink
    Very nice topic, ZomBeeBob! It was funny to read all these stories :)

My nickname is completely boring, there's no abreviation or a childhood name... My name is Marina and my first surname is Araújo (pronounced as "ah ra U jo"), instead of using marinaaraujo with double a I decided to take one of them off and then you have marinaraujo. I used it for the first time at a forum I do not participate anymore (Tim Burton Collective) and for a while on my twitter. That's it...
  10.  permalink
    I use the online nickname MichaelAngelo, michaelangelo or michael-angelo for several years now. There are actually three reasons why I picked that name;

1. My first name is Michael so, yeah.
    2. Ever since I was young, I am a big fan of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, espess of Michaelangelo :)
    3. I draw. A lot. I could post some drawings here, but best you check out freewebs.com/michaelraymakers. So the connection with Italian artist Michelangelo I like to use as well ;)