Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010 edited
    Hey everyone,

Some of you may have already noticed that we shortened the solving time for sidequests from two to one week. This is because these sidequests are usually smaller (around 50 shots), and a week is plenty of time for people to solve all they can. Now we are wondering what you would like for regular contests, with around 250 shots. I myself think that 2 weeks is good for these, because there are way more shots, and this gives people more time to upload them, because not everyone is available every week. However, I have heard people who think that this is also too long, and should be shortened too.
    That's where this poll comes in, we would like to see what you people would prefer for a CONTEST (so not a sidequest, those stay one week) to be. This is just an advice to us staff, and we may try different things than the outcome of the poll, but we sure appreciate your suggestions and opinions.
    The time you can choose is only the time for SOLVING shots, the time for uploading stays a week. The total time of a contest from start to finish would be the time you choose for solving + one week uploading + one week being announced.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2010
    I suppose you dont include the uploading time in your poll? Cause it is not clear :) 1 week for uploading is fine as it is now. But I'm more in favor of 1 week for solving instead of 2. so 2 weeks in total (instead of 3 now). That way we can have more quests and less tactical voting and solving :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Asmodai is referring to the solve time, if I have read it right.

I'm for 2 weeks for a normal contest. Like Asmodai says normal contests have ~250 shots, thats a lot and needs to extra week solving IMO. 1 week solving for sidequests is perfect though.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Woops, you are right. The time in the poll is only for solving, not included uploading. Thanks for pointing that out.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I think for every contest if its a sidequest or main contest
    1 week will do
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2010
    I voted for one week too. Less solving time = more contests :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorkkumendes
    Yeah for me 1 week is fine too!! :D
    • CommentAuthorFinix
    I voted for 2 weeks.
    250 shots in 1 week? This is not good idea.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    with 1 week
    the competition is bigger and more excited
    • CommentAuthoroldzia999
    I'm with LordMyst on that one. Two weeks is just too long, you get to go through all the contest shot three times or more. Besides if you dont know the movie a longer period of time isnt going to help anyway.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    i also think 1 week is better, for exactly all the reasons Chrisy, Zythux, LordMyst and oldzia999 mentioned.

I even had the idea of a speed contest once, a contest that only runs for an hour or something (maybe even less :D ). So no time for google and no time to ask help from friends/colleagues etc.
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010
    1 week is great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    two weeks are necessary if you don't want to neglect FF.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    It looks like we are quite tied over this... :P Best solution would be either 10 days (which is annoying if you want to keep track of when things start/end (=always on saturday)) or to vary, I guess...
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    I would really like 2 weeks. If only for the next contest. It's a holiday period in the Netherlands (maybe in other countries too) and it would be a shame if people could't participate because of the one week only lenght. There is also not a majority who want to change to 1 or 3 weeks, maybe that's a reason too to leave it 2 weeks as it is.
    Whatever it will be, I'm looking forward to the contest. This time I might upload some shots too.
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    I think 1 week is perfect, maybe even shorter, like the idea from toffetomas of a speed contest of an hour or so.
    That way you abandon the possibility to google alot of shots or ask friends.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    one week, waiting for solutions is so bad, especially when after they appear it turns out I saw those films :/If I don't know shot in a week, I won't know it in 2 :)
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    Oh wait, my bots have more chance on solving a shot when it's 2 weeks, lets do 2 weeks:)

Haha no, just kiddin', 1 week is way better
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2010 edited
    Thanks everyone! We have decided to do the next contest (mirrors and reflections) with one week solving time. See how that turns out, I always appreciate your thoughts!
    I like that speedcontest idea, but I think it probably wouldn't be fair to people in other timezones, because they might have to get up at 5am just to be able to play. But I will think about it!
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010
    Maybe it's an idea, dunno if it's technically possible though, to make a speed contest, in which people get 1 hour time to solve everything, but they can decide themselves when they solve it. So you press a start button and from then on you've got one hour to solve as much shots as you can. After an hour you cannot guess the shots. If you give people for example 1 week to do this, it''s fair for everybody...
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2010 edited
    There would be the problem with double accounts, one could open the contest with a fake account, look up all the shots (technically) over the 6-7 days (by remembering them, or taking screenshots), then solve them all with the proper account. Hence defeating the purpose of the speed contest. Seems like a long shot to do, but with some recent behavior here who knows.

I am actually in favor of such speed contest though, maybe there could be two at different times, to make it fair for all users from different time zones (and the hardcore users can stay awake for the other one too so they get to participate in both :P).
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    speed contest sounds awesome :D
    • CommentAuthormagdanml
    I agree with rulo , everyone should solve shots within an hour whenever they'll be able to spend some more time on speed contest. It could last for one, maybe two days for fair chances for those, who'll have other work or plans and the solutions should be visible after time for entering the contest stops, that way we'll avoid cheating.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Sounds good to me, but I just don't know if it is technically possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010
    I'm really looking forward to this speed contest thing. Since one week of uploading time for only one hour of solving seems a little bit strange maybe you could test this idea by simply creating two lists of top solvers in a normal contest - one as usual after the full contest-time and the second one taken after the contest ran for an hour or less. It wouldn't be very much work for the programmers but a great feature for many users (please, please, please :)

And yeah, i would get up at 5am if necessary.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2010
    You, perhaps, but many people won't, or at work or whatever. I will talk to tliff about technical possibilites for such a speed thing that starts on request for each user.