Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    Lately I've been getting more and more into Westerns and I was wondering if the WTM community could recommend some good ones.

To give you a bit of an idea, I've got a few Bud Spencer/Terrence Hill films on DVD (Trinity, My Name Is Nobody, Lucky Luke, etc.), and I recently (finally) saw Once Upon A Time In The West, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, and Tombstone. I found that I'm more into the old Westerns like the former two mentioned, but I'm open for anything...just list 'em down here.
    As a follow-up, my mother mentioned a film with Lee Marvin that I should see. Unfortunately, she couldn't remember the title, but the story is about a man who starts out as some kind of drunk, and at the end of the film appears in a bright white cowboy-suit. It's supposed to be from the '60s. That's all the info I got, so maybe the vast combined knowledge of WTM could solve this problem.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010
    My personal favourite is "Unforgiven", but there are a lot of great old western too. You should have a look on "A Fistful Of Dollars", " For A Few Dollars More" (or in general everything Sergio Leone directed), "High Noon", "The Wild Bunch" and "The Magnificent Seven" (a remake of "The Seven Samurai").
  2.  permalink
    I was just about to watch A Fistful Of Dollars, I'll definitely check out the other ones. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2010
    And if you're into series you could also watch Deadwood. It's not that western as the Sergio Leone movies, but it is greatly made. With bad language and great shots I think. It's 2 seasons though. It's not a movie, but I wanted to share.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2010
    Rio Bravo, Pale Rider, 5 Card Stud and Duck you Sucker are also movies to look into.
    • CommentAuthorShayah
    I'm really not into westerns, but I can recommend the only one I like: Little big man. Really different from those named above because tha's also a comedy but I think you shoul see it.
  3.  permalink
    Unforgiven - Per qualche dollaro in piĆ¹ - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Rio Bravo - Per un pugno di dollari - 3:10 to Yuma (2007) -
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    I can agree with all these names, but my total favorites (that you haven't seen yet) are:
    For a Few Dollars More
    High Noon
    Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Do you know the TV-series Firefly? It's like a Western, just in space... I really liked it.
  4.  permalink
    I love Firefly. In my opinion it's one of the best series ever made.
    Thanks everyone for the recommendations, I'll try to check 'em all out!
    •  
      CommentAuthorpspan
    Just got the Deadwood box.
    • CommentAuthorbap2008
    Jeremiah Johnson
    Outlaw Josey Wales
    The Great Silence
    Keoma
    Cat Ballou
    Support your local Sheriff