Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010 edited
    Hi all,

Due to popular demand, we have implemented a new feature: Replacement Upload. Now you can replace an old, bad quality archive image with a shiny new version!

You will find a new option at the bottom of the Upload page: http://whatthemovie.com/shot/new

The option is only visible to Cinematographer (rank 9) and above. Once an image is replaced, your new image will be visible immediately, although they are also put in a queue for a moderator to check. The original uploader still gets credit for the upload, and it will not affect their Hall of Fame position. At present, there is no reward for updating the picture, other than the knowledge that you are helping to improve WTM, and make your favourite movie pages look the best they can.

You should find the process fairly self-explanatory but if you have any problems using the feature, post here, so everyone can see the question and response.

Cheers,
    The WTM team
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    Awesome. :) Luckily I reached Cinematographer a couple of weeks ago. I'll start right away, already have a couple of shots in mind.
    As an idea, maybe we could make a thread (or simply use this one) to point out bad quality shots in the archive, but of movies you don't own on DVD yourself, so that others who like to help too can update them instead.

edit: What I just remembered that I wanted to ask, how important is it to get the *exact* snapshot, meaning same lighting etc? I want to update this shot #2188, and just noticed that the snapshots I took of that moment have different lighting (because of the scene, there's rain, lightning etc).
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Good for you agonistes, thanks for helping clean up the archive.

Feel free to open that new thread, thats a good idea. If it gets enough traffic, I'll sticky it.

edit:
    you asked: "What I just remembered that I wanted to ask, how important is it to get the *exact* snapshot, meaning same lighting etc? I want to update this shot #2188, and just noticed that the snapshots I took of that moment have different lighting (because of the scene, there's rain, lightning etc). "

I would say you should take every effort to try to get the exact same shot, but a few frames either side shouldn't matter too much. Just do your best to try and capture the "essence" of the original shot as best as you can. We trust all of you to make the right decision :)

EDIT: wow! http://whatthemovie.com/shot/2188

Looks amazing now, thanks!
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2010
    Cinematographer is too high rank imho, maybe also because I'm like halfway to become Cinematographer:)

My 4 cents
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    Thanks for your comment Rulo. That is the rank that has been decided at the moment, so you have something to aim for :)
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Ha great, this is the way to do it. Nicer shot and the original uploader still mentioned. Like it a lot.
    • CommentAuthorKrazy
    Yes, nice feature. But now I have to become a cinematographer even more quickly.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    This is great ! :)

If we think it's worth adding a comment about the update, should we put it as a shout below the shot ?
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    that seems to be the way to go
    •  
      CommentAuthorLePaposaure
    Excellent update, right in the friendly spirit of the site.
    Perhabs it could be nice to have a notification in the home page, as a new Feature Films or a New Submissions shot, since our last visit ?
  1.  permalink
    A question from me then...
    How are the ranks decided? When you reach another rank? Didn't find it anywhere(yet)
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @ Patrickd999

It's in the FAQ : http://whatthemovie.com/page/help#wtm_bucks
  2.  permalink
    ok thanks them00ch... a long way to go for me then
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    the cinematographer thing isn’t final.

At the moment there’s 60+ people with this rank and we decided to let them play around with this feature first.
    (and they are less likely to fuck things up than say a cable monkey ;) no pun intended
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    But when we fuck things up, we do it properly! :D
    • CommentAuthornutria
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2010
    Thanks guys for this new feature, it's great. :)

I've got a little question: should we only replace bad-quality-shots or also cropped shots with a wrong aspect ratio?
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    you can also take into account the wrong aspect ratio yes
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    What about black bars? I have some shots which would look better without the black bars I didn't knew how to remove in the start?
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    great feature, i will put a my first replacement in a few minutes
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Razzomega: Black bars replacing is also fine! Especially if they are your own shots that you want to look better, go ahead!
  3.  permalink
    Fantastic!!
    Wish i could re-upload some of my own(and others too)...but i'm not a cinematographer yet. =/
  4.  permalink
    This is an awesome feature, and I've just gone through the replacement thread, and it's really cool to see the improvements. I'll hurry up and get another 7000 bucks so I can replace shots too. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMaff.
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010 edited
    Nice feature. Now I have some (new) purpose to work hard and earn those bucks. (Although it would take me at least 116 days to reach the level of Cinematographer :/)
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2010
    Sunday afternoon featurette:

WTM Supporters are now able to see who favourited their snapshots. Just click the little heart.
  5.  permalink
    ^_^
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    nice naut :)
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Great Naut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Yeah really nice one, love it:D!
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    This is great! The feature isn't working in the vault or is it just me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    It's correct Chrisy:-)!
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    my fault. works now.
  6.  permalink
    Lovely new feature
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2010
    it is not always working :( at least for me it doesn't work in FF, i get a question mark ;)
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    That's because you can only see it from your own shots (if I'm right).
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I was talking about my own shots krukev :)
    • CommentAuthorrulo
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2010
    Not working here either