Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJojo1337
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010
    Hello there!

The used formula is: Percentage for Player x = (shots solved by x) / (total shots in the side quest - uploaded shots by x).

Example from vault/12:
    Maxi solved 54, uploaded 0, so has 54/(56-0) = 96,42%
    Asmodai solved 53, uploaded 1, so has 53/(56-1) = 96,36%
    They both are having 2 unsolved shots but Maxi gets a higher rank than Asmodai.

Here is my problem with the side quest scores for top solvers: I think it's unfair for people who have uploaded shots. You always have to have less unsolved shots than the other people (who have no or less uploaded), to get a higher percentage. Yes, ofc those other people have to solve your shots first and you have the chance to win something in the scores for the best uploaded shots, but in the end it is imho a disadvatage.
    I wouldn't say anything at a normal contest, where you choose your uploads - But at a side quest you couldn't decide which shots you upload. They even were taken from your feature film shots, which makes you go down in the feature film upload score.

A possible solution would be to count uploaded shots as solved for the uploader in the side quest. that would be an advantage for the uploader, yes, but isn't uploading what keeps the site alive?

fungus pointed out, that a part of this has already been discussed before here: http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=55
    But to say it again: I only wanna discuss the Side quest scoring system for the Top Solvers. The argumentation is mainly based on the point that you couldn't choose the shots to be part in the contest and count now as your uploads.

I my case, i now have to regret uploading 2 shots, who have been choosen for the sidequest, because: they got removed from me FF upload score and they make it harder for me to win the side quest. I would have never chosen those shots :) The only thing i could do about it, is getting my shots deleted somehow or making a new account... i am not very amused :)

[x] change it please.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    I agree here (and no, I'm not just saying that so I'd win). And I'd like to see it changed in normal contests, and maybe even regular solving too. This system worked fine for WTM 1, but now it is much harder to upload shots, and everybody has more or less the same chance at doing so. It's not like you can spam 100's of shots a week into FF, count them all as solved and be in first place.
    But especially in vault quests (both sidequest as regular contest), people will notice the difference between uploader and non-uploader. Yes, uploaders will have to solve a shot less, but now they have to solve a (very difficult, most likely) shot extra to stay in same place (which is not even same, cause the percentages differ).
    In regular contests it will even matter less if uploaded shots counts as solve, because everyone has a chance to upload! If you don't upload, fine, but it will be your own "fault" if you end up in a lower place.
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2010 edited
    Crybaby!!! That's a little bit too late! :-D Jojo, THIS WILL COME WITH THE NEXT SIDE QUEST!!!!!! And now shut the f*ck up :-))) Hahahahaha! Next time you have to come here and drink with me, then you have no problems with the percentages! I swear that! 40% nothing else!!! I think it's not fair to change anything now in this side quest because then I have to share my 1st place with Jojo. :-D No Way!!! Jojo I think I have to talk with your parents! I cannot tolerate this!! (= Salute!
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Of course, if something will be changed it won't be for any quest that's already running.
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    :-) gladness!
    Actually you're totally right... for further SQs. ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    I completely agree with Jojo1337 on this. I think too, the best way would be to count uploaded shots as solved. This also could be done for FF as Asmodai pointed out. In the best case one could get about 50 shots into FF in a month. Compared to the 1250 you need right now to get into the HOF, this is nothing.

P.S.: Actually, I had two more of Jojo's beautiful shots considered for the sidequest :) But I didn't want to take more than 2 per user.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    i think Jojo1337 has a good point.
    But if uploads would be counted as solved, it would mean uploaders get a really big advantage when they upload almost impossible to solve shots.
    A system that would maybe work better, but is complex, would be that for the top ten solvers, you compare the number of solves two people exluding the uploaded shots of both, and do this for all pairs of people. Think that would maybe be more fair.
    • CommentAuthorJojo1337
    toffetomas: "it would mean uploaders get a really big advantage when they upload almost impossible to solve shots."

- that's why i only requested this for the side quest, where you can't decide which shots count as your uploads.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    then still it gives an advantages to uploaders with difficult shots. The only reason it's not fair now is because when a person who solved the same (amount of) shots as you but also your easy upload, he gets a higher score and a higher percentage. But when you have a real difficult shot as upload, and someone solves doesnt solve it, but solves the same shots as you, you will have the same score, but you will have a higher percentage. (When you adapt the system of uploads count as solves, you will even get a higher score too)
    • CommentAuthorJojo1337
    i thought about this difficulty argument too and i have agree, it would be an advantage for the uploader to choose difficult shots. this advantage already exists in the current system, lets do an example:

currently used system: Percentage for Player x = (shots solved by x) / (total shots in the side quest - shots uploaded by x). let's say there are 10 shots in the quest.
    A solved 8, uploaded 1 difficult shot, so has 8/(10-1) = 88,89%
    B solved 8 (not the difficult shot), uploaded 0, so has 8/(10-0) = 80,00%

A solved 8, uploaded 1 easy shot, so has 8/(10-1) = 88,89%
    B solved 9 (also the easy shot), uploaded 0, so has 9/(10-0) = 90,00%

=> difficult shot gives an advantage, easy shot gives a disadvantage!

adapted system: Percentage for Player x = (shots solved by x + shots uploaded by x) / (total shots in the side quest). let's say there are 10 shots in the quest.
    A solved 8, uploaded 1 difficult shot, so has (8+1)/10 = 90,00%
    B solved 8 (not the difficult shot), uploaded 0, so has (8+0)/10 = 80,00%

A solved 8, uploaded 1 easy shot, so has (8+1)/10 = 90,00%
    B solved 9 (also the easy shot), uploaded 0, so has (9+0)/10 = 90,00%

=> difficult shot gives an advantage, easy shot makes it even!

so the change would just would remove the disadvantage for the easy shots.
    it would also enhace the advantage for uploading difficult shots, some people might use that, yeah.

but the whole argument is senseless at a side quest, where you can't be so cruel and upload unsolvable shots, because someone else chooses all shots.
    my point is, that i did not want my shots to be part in this side quest if they are taken from my uploaded FF shots and now make it more difficult for me to get a high rank in the solvers score. yes, it is an honor somehow, but not with those disadvantages.

edit:
    example from the current side quest:
    3 guys, all 1 shot unsolved:
    guy with 0 uploads > guy with 1 upload > guy with 2 uploads^^