Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    I sit on a pile of WTM bucks.
    Me. Palahniuk.

But I am a spender.
    I toss money around like the wind.
    What am I to do with ALL that money?

You tell me.

No?
    You don't?

I tell you then.

I.
    WANT.
    TO.
    BUY.
    AWESOME.
    UPLOADS!

This is what I want.
    What do you gals & guys want?
    Do you want to keep that virtual money for being a producer or a studio boss?
    Or do you want to play it REAL?

Like, say, a producer or a studio boss.

You tell me!
  2.  permalink
    Think that's a good idea that was raised previously. Getting AU via the contests is highly unlikely since there's 10 people on this site who have seen 99% of all movies in the world and counting. And getting AUs by ratings is a bit of a matter of luck being involved.
    So buying them would be a great thing to do, may it be revolutionary even...
  3.  permalink
    Aaah!
    I have one client here!
    And a clever one.

Anybody else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKeyser_Soze
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010 edited
    i also think it's a good idea but it needs a careful design...(eg) how much bucks, from which rank etc...
  4.  permalink
    Keyser is definitely not your usual suspect.
    He has some arguments.

To tell the truth I don't vote anymore in the new submissions because it takes time.
    I need motivation. I need a carrot.

I'm willing to spend 3000 WTM bucks for an Awesome Upload.
    That's 10 days of work.

You should be at least a Property Master because you need to experience the game before uploading crazy stuff.
    Spending your money should downgrade you in the ranking system.

Isn't it cool?
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2010
    I don't know yet. Seems cool as you can do finally something with your bucks, but when trying upload New Submissions now I have like to try already 20 movies before I find a slot that doesn't say: this movie is flooded.

Maybe you should buy a Awesome Upload for a movie that doesn't have already like 40 slots, but maybe only for movies that are more than 5 years old and less than 20 shots already or something like that.

Otherwise WTM will really be flooded and you have to look through whole tsunamies before finding an empty slot.
  5.  permalink
    I see what you mean Young Krukev.
    I didn't think about the LOTR, POC and HP flood.
    Even Vidocq starts to become a problem!

That's why we should change the name of the Awesome Upload when you buy it.
    Let's call it:

THE GOLDEN UPLOAD or THE MASTER UPLOAD.

- 3000 WTM bucks.
    - Be a Property Master minimum.
    - Choose a movie with less than 10 uploaded snaps.

It's a good idea because it gives room to movies we don't see that much on WTM.
    What do you think of that?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    This I like. It will also help the less visually-interesting movies to get a few shots on WTM.
  6.  permalink
    yep me to...it will also help a lot of people to discover new movies. you have real potential Palahniuk007 :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Maybe 10 uploaded snaps is a little high still, I would say max 5 :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorforerunner
    nice idea, but i'd exclude character/vault/title shots from the count
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    I like that. :)

And I agree that 5 Archive shots should be enough.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Yes nice!
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    Agreed, wasn't a big fan of buying normal AU with your bucks, but this idea I like! :)
  7.  permalink
    Possibly add an age limit too? For the film, that is, not the uploader. Ensure you don't get 5 of these shots on the day a blockbuster gets released, we'd have been drowning in smurf shots the day Avatar came out if that had been the case, for example.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Yeah, only movies that are more than 5 or 10 years old would be fine. There are generally too many shots from new movies anyway, it is what most people watch.
    I'm almost only uploading shots from new movies, because they are more likely to get a high score :)! I have a lot of b/w shots waiting, just don't think they will go to FF xD!
  8.  permalink
    Woaw!

That's what I call a good old brainstorming!
    Let's do a recap.

The rules of The Awesome Upload you buy with your WTM bucks would be:

- 3000 WTM bucks per upload.
    - Be a Property Master minimum.
    - Choose a movie from the 20th century with less than 5 uploaded snaps (recorded in archives only).

And of course, your rank depends on your WTM bucks. Exemple:

- If you own 30 000 bucks, you are a Set Decorator.
    - Now you buy, say, 10 uploads because you want to launch a serie (10 X 3 000 = 30 000).
    - Your rank will be Cable Monkey after the transaction.

We could name this Awesome Upload:

THE 20TH CENTURY UPLOAD.

We can even have a couple of memorabilia items for 10 and 50 bought uploads:

- GOLD BAR for ten 20th Century Uploads.
    - BANK JOB for fifty 20th Century Uploads.

Nice! I'm already counting my bucks!

I feel comfy with that!
    What about you?
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010 edited
    i am not a friend of awesome uploads! Because of each new good movie you can see tons of awesome uploads. Nearly no chance to get a empty slot in the NS. I noticed about 10x the time of an awesome upload to get at least a free slot of Avatar. So additional awesome uploads make this problem more worse. Another point: Snapshots of the Day. Last time i saw many good shots uploaded by awesome upload. For Example from the Movie Lovely Bones. Many of them aspirants for SotD. More awesome uploads = the quality of SotD drops down. Another problem, the release day of new movies. I have to waite most time 1-3 months i can buy this movie on amazon in germany, know many people on WTM from other countries got the same problem. For People life in the wrong Country: more awesome uploads = more shots already uploaded before i have a chance to get a slot.

Otherwise the server costs money, so WTM Supporter and Winner of the contests earn an advantage too. I think User which take time for vote in submissions should get an advantage too. But i think its not good to loose a rank. For example a Cinematographer can reupload bad quality archieve shots. If you use some awesome uploads buyed with WTM Bucks you maybe loose that feature. I think its not good, if a player loose abilities. Maybe its better you get a free awesome upload for a fix point of WTM Bucks. Maybe beginning with 30000 WTM Bucks, so the mods will not get the problem to delete tons of bad quality shots or shots with black bars. And maybe get each 10000 WTM Bucks a new awesome upload. But you dont loose your WTM Bucks by using a upload, so you can upload shots and get a new rank/feature and not loose your features of the ranks.

But i think ALL awesome uploads (WTM Supporter + Contest Winner + WTM-Bucks) need one restriction! The movie should be minimum 1 year released on DVD.
    Maybe exceptional to the 1 year timer: reupload rejected snapshots of his own. For example Avatar snapshot didnt make it into the FF, you can choose a new feature at your rejected uploads and use an awesome upload - this upload dont release the timer for other people to upload a shot in the NS. Prevent of flooding is given, because the shot is already running out of time (48 hours) in the NS.
  9.  permalink
    @Winterwolf: you're Kafka!

1. That's why we came up with the idea of THE 20TH CENTURY upload.
    You only upload shots from movies of the 20th century who got maximum 5 snaps in the archives.
    So the problem of uploading recent movies is out.

2. I'm not sure it will threaten The SotD.

3. Loosing a rank seems good to me because you'll think twice before buying an awesome upload.
    This is what I call NATURAL SELECTION.
    The idea of earning an Awesome Upload from 30 000 bucks is an idea. But I think you wanna keep your money! You're not a CASH SPENDER! ;)

All in all we seem to be talking the same thing!

PS: I'm still waiting your EGO POSTER inside my play-zone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2010
    @winterwolf
    Instead of putting so much energy to be sure to upload one shot of the last blockbuster of the day, you could discover so many great movies older than 2 years...