Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010 edited
    I thought we could have a Question thread for all the small questions that we might have, instead of making a new thread for every little question.

My question is: How much "load/strain" do the snapshots we store in "Bookmarks" do to the servers? I just checked my bookmarks and I see that I might have as much as 1000 snapshots there, if not more. I'll try and clear out some of them tonight if it causes "problems" for the servers. :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2010
    pretty much none at all
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    indeed nothing at all :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    Good. Then I can continue to bookmark shots that I'd like to know the title of. Thanks for the quick reply :-)

Another thing I've been thinking about is the Archive. Many of us like to spend some time in the Archives from time to time and solve some older shots. A thing I have encountered MANY times is that people (me included) forget that the spoiler tag will become visible when the shots goes to the Archive. So when people write stuff like "I liked this Batman movie much more than Batman Begins" with a spoiler tag, it's no problem when the spoiler tag is invisible. But when it hits the Archive everyone can see the shout, and then it's not to hard to figure out that the shot is from a Batman movie. So maybe (just maybe) people should try to at least not write the titles of the movies in their spoiler comments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    I understand your thoughts but those guys could als just not scroll down when they solve archive shots. Another alteration could be to show the spoilershouts when the user requests the solution.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    Why is the sky blue ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2010
    Why is the sky blue, you ask? Blue in sunlight collides with air molecules and our eyes see it as blue.
    • CommentAuthortoffetomas
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    why are there flags to show which language the solution can be? i really don't see the point and it can give a hint. i would say just don't show them.
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010 edited
    great thread, I’m happy to answer everything I can:

ZomBeeBob:
    > 1 bookmark weighs a little more than a solve, so if you don’t want the database to fill up you better stop solving ;)
    > second, like energ said, the best solution is always the simplest one. If you can solve the problem right where it occurs (the user scrolling down) you are better off doing so.
    Additional rules, additional on screen help, etc should be the last resort.

toffetomas:
    > This may be an issue for a long time player like you but it’s actually great for a vast majority of users. They immediatly know if they can type the name in their native language and don’t have to look it up first.
    *plus* we’re building a database of alternative titles... which no one would enter if it weren’t for the flags.

EDIT:
    MisterZob: You weren’t too slow, you supplemented your own opinion :)
    and you’re right, it’s a historical feature, I remember we didn’t have it for the first few weeks and introduced it because ppl asked for it.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    I don't agree with you, toffetomas.
    With the flags, I know which language I need to use to type the solution in. Because some movies have very few alternate language titles already entered in the DB. And I can see which ones are missing, so that I can go on the page and add them.
    Without them, it could get pretty confusing and annoying : you've guessed the movie, but you don't know the original title and the one you're trying just doesn't work because it's not in the DB... but you don't know that if there's no flag.
    IMHO, this is one "historical" WTM feature that makes this quiz so fun to play : knowing immediately that you can type in Dr Folamour or Dr. Seltsam just as well as Dr Strangelove.

EDIT : OK, once more I was sloooow. :)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2010
    why is the netherlands going to win the World Cup 2010?

because we are the best ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPalahniuk007
    And why don't you come inside Palahniuk's Lair instead of whining?
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2010
    Is there a way to see who favourited my shots or maybe any shot?
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    Yeah there is, when you're a supporter you can click on the heart that shows how many favorites the shot has.
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    Hmm, too bad, I was curious. Maybe I'll support one day...

another question: I just posted a new shot and with 2 votes it had a 9.25 (:D), that means the two votes together are 18.5! How is that possible?
    Now it's 8.22 with 5 votes... What's going on here?
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    If you solve the shot, your vote is worth 3 votes. This was to help the balance of scores between popular and little-known films
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010
    A quick question, I'm guessing the mods could know this one: what is the minimum of solves that a shot needs to be considered "easy" when using the "random easy snapshot" button?
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010
    the difficulty is determined only during the shot’s time in the NS.

more than 100 solves > easy
    between 50 and 100 solves > medium
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010
    I was just wondering about the "nudity" tag. I understand why it has been implemented on the site, but I don't get why shots like #92104 and #4782 (to name just a few) has got this tag. Yes the two women are "topless" but they have their backs turned to the camera, so I don't see the need for the tag at these shots. I get that some people use WTM on public places or work, but I don't see the problem with seeing "skin".
  1.  permalink
    Why do we like boobs?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010
    naut: doesn't this mean that awesome uploads automatically count as difficult shots?

ZomBeeBob: I guess this is a case of better safe than sorry ;)
  2.  permalink
  3.  permalink
    How van i add movies to "Owned Movies" in my shelf?? I tried searching a movie in the search bar and click the add button in the resultant movie. But nothing happens except for a java script error.

And when I type "Psycho" and "Rear Window" (both hitch movies) in the search bar I get "American Psycho" and some other "Rear Window" movies as the results. Why?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2010
    When you search "psycho", the search engine returns any title that contains the "psycho" string.
    I don't know about your other question, I don't use this feature.
  4.  permalink
    But it didnt return Hitchcock's Psycho.. same with Rear Window also.. it didnt return Hitchcock's but some other movie.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    ???

When I do it I get :
    * American Psycho (2000)
    * Motor Psycho (1965)
    * Psycho (1960)
    * Psycho (1998)
    * Psycho Beach Party (2000)
    * Psycho II (1983)
    * Psycho III (1986)
    * Psycho IV: The Beginning (1990)
    * Circus of Fear (1966)
    * Copycat (1995)
    * The Legacy (1978)
    for "Psycho", and it goes straight to Hitchock's Rear Window page for "Rear Window"...
  5.  permalink
    I guess you are talking about the search bar which is present at the home page.. I'm talking about the search bar in the SHELF page. Sorry for not being clear. I should have explained it to you earlier when you said you wouldnt use that feature. My bad..

Thanks for your help anyway.. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfnick
    I'm curious: how is the acceptance of a solution determined? Mostly you make some spelling mistakes and I think usually spaces are not required. But I also came across shots where a single space made the solution wrong. In those cases I only try twice if I'm sure about the solution. So it would be great to know how many/which mistakes are still accepted (something like a formular).
  6.  permalink
    Addition to my original questions, can someone pls clarify, is the Hall of fame the list only for the last 30 days? (coz i have a feeling that my count was reduced from 80 odd to 78 today). If so, where can we see the all time leaderboard?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010
    There is no All Time HoF for solvers any more.
    The current HoF is indeed based on the running last 30 days. That is why your number of solves goes up and down.
    I think the All Time HoF for top solvers was removed because it was impossible for new users to get reach it, as "old" users already have like 25000 FF solves.
    Somebody suggested a while ago to put the All Time HoF back in, maybe on a "more stats" page. I think the reason was it would give a nice overview of the main "faithful" users. I don't know what tliff and naut think about it, though.
  7.  permalink
    yeah.. It'd be good to have the all time list even if the new comers like cant reach the top.. Atleast we'd give a try to enter into the top 100 or something.. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2010 edited
    I'm curious since we can see who faved our shot if we are supporters, maybe one day we will be able to see who, ever so kindly, marked our reviews as "utter nonsense" or even better change the unfortunate phrasing to something less...gross like thumbs up or down.
    Just a random thought:D
    Oh and why recent dvd don't have covers on shelf? Not even Sherlock Holmes and it was out in march If I remember, so some time ago.
    oh and users with deleted accounts are still visible in fellows, that's a bug right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010 edited
    Since this is a dead zone, apparantly, I'm gonna continue:
    1. Why is "utter nonsense" the phrasing used here? "Disagree" "Thumbs down" anything would be better.
    2. Why is there -10 points for that? cannot it be less?So if someone has unpopular opinion about a movie technically she or he should be able to express it right? But if a person rated Avatar 3-4/10 how many utter nonsense would one get? 20? 30? 40? So 200 WTM bucks for the review (and may I remind it was 50 before so just 5 people had to vote UN to take the points away) and 200 or 300 or 400 for UN alone. I don't care about the points but basically it means someone who writes reviews that don't agree with majority is gonna get less points. Less privileges. That is not fair.
    3. Same goes for shout is crap, point 1 and 2 apply here.
    My point is how hilarious it looks when moderators write "don't use youtube dramatics" when in fact they not only have thumbs down/up on their site here, just like youtube, only your phrasing is more despicable than anything there. I'm a user on this site and reviewer and I'm offended by the fact there is a option that makes it possible to mark my reviews as "nonsense". Look on imdb - "72 out of 129 people found the following review useful.". So imdb has "useful" and wtm has "nonsense".
    Well done.
  8.  permalink
    I'm going to give my 2 cents on this topic.

First of all I agree with sati on the phrasing "shout is crap" or "utter nonsense" it's not very nice.
    On the other hand, sati you shouldn't take it personal when people vote "utter nonsense" on your reviews : that doesn't mean they think it's poorly written or it's nonsense. Just means they disagree with you. I guess this is supposed to be funny and the aim is not to upset anyone.

I read all your reviews and there's defintely a pattern : when you give a good grade to a movie, people vote "well-written" it's only when you give bad grade that the "utter nonsense" appear. And more specifically when you give a negative review to a movie which has been praised by lots of people.
    Now why people don't like your negative reviews ? If you look closely I think it has nothing to do with your style (you're a good writer) or even the grade you give.
    I'm pretty sure i has everything to do with the tone. When the reviews are positive everyting's good but when your reviews are negative you're kinda "mean"

- Kick-Ass is the one so many people disagreed with you.
    The vocabulary you use here is wayyy too violent to describe a movie : "the world has gone mad" - "disgusting" - "sick" - "lame" - "abomination" - "crime"

It's a comedy, I totally understand why you'd give it a 1/10 if you didn't find anything funny in it. The main problem is that your review doesn't say "I didn't like it" it says "If you liked it you're a bad human being" This is a direct attack to the people who liked it, how do you want them to give you a thumbs up?
    I quote : "I judge the critics who said it's a good movie [...] and I judge all the ones who crawl on imdb and so on and gave it 10."
    It's not a review, it's a judgment. I don't wanna be judged by someone because I liked a fun movie so I gave it a "utter nonsense" (I gave Kick-Ass a 7/10 not a 10 lol)
    Then again I repeat I voted a thumb down to show I disagreed with you, the phrasing "utter nonsense" doesn't matter.

That's great to be self-assured but obviously some people will perceive that as "pretentious" In your critics you say : "shame on you Natalie Portman" "shame on you Christopher Nolan" "Zooey Deschanel is a terrible actress" "Natalie Portman is talentless" obviously people will ask themselves "who does she think she is to judge these people that hard? what did she achieve?"

You know you're gonna "shock" people by writing that, that's actually the reason why I like your reviews, so why are you that surprised they give you thumbs down? Wasn't it the aim of your reviews? Do you really think you can start reviews by saying "shame on you Natalie Portman you're talentless" and everyone will agree with you?

If you wanna have thumbs up, do your reviews in a more humble way. Say things like "I didn't like it" "I didn't find her good" instead of "it was bad" "she sucks" this way the reader won't feel judged by you. After reading your "Shutter Island" review my thought was : "sati thinks I'm stupid because I gave it a 10/10" How am I supposed to give you thumbs up? Do you really care if I give you thumbs down? You insult me during 100 lines by saying I'm stupid for loving this movie, obviously I'm not happy lol
    I repeat it's not because you didn't like it that I gave you thumbs down, we're talking about art, it's subjective : it's because your tone is too much "I know, you don't"

But I like the way your reviews are, even if sometimes I totally disagree with you I just think you shouldn't care if people give you thumbs down. You're taking really strong position so obviously people will be upset and will vote thumbs down. You should keep it this way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2010
    Where did I state in my comment it's about my reviews? I stated in general about the phrasing, the bucks being taken away. Even if I wrote "Dear, sweet, beloved viewer I had terrible time watching Avatar, please don't hurt me :(" as you suggest fanboys would give UN. And I don't care if it's 150 people who disagree. I object to phrasing, on which you agreed is very inappropriate.

Not the amount of it ON MY reviews.
    What did I achieve? Well I've been writing my reviews for last six years of my life and I won competitions (even national ones)for them. I wrote over 150 of them. So there, I think I can judge. When I write "shame on you" Nolan and then I give it 9/10 how the hell is is saying he is not talented? I pointed out to you before to read carefully. He should be ashamed for not using movie's entire potential not for making it. And Portman should be ashamed, the reason for which I gave in the review. I read about The Tudors, I know so much about Anne Boleyn, her performance was awful, in my eyes she is horrible in this movie.
    And Deschanel is terrible actress, I gave reason for it to.
    But I can see your point - however, when Renko tells me in his comment below Inception that he thinks Stewart is bad, although I couldn't disagree more I comment back, I discuss. I don't mark something "crap" or "nonsense" and run away. If someone disagrees, feel free to write, talk, don't SHIT on my review or anyone else's for that matter. I disagreed with you on your review. My comment was too sarcastic, since you really pissed me off yesterday. Yet I stated why I disliked the review. You get what I mean?

I have a certian style in my writing, it's humurous - you may think it's strong, but after a while you should figure out that rarely I mean in general that someone is truly awful, just this performance in question makes me think this way.
    If somebody screwed up a movie or a part, why should I be humble? I don't judge the readers, I judge the people who did the movie, people involved. That's the aim of the review. "It's not a review, it's a judgment." yes it is a judgement, you're just very confused about on who it is aimed at.
    But with Kick-Ass it is the movie so profoundly disgusting that I really do judge people who gave it 10. That's the only case like that in my what? 63 reviews here? So what should I lie? Should I say oh good for you when I'm openly against the movie and rating such shit 10? It's against my morals and my beliefs, I found the movie to be truly awful and I'm simply astonished someone did otherwise. With "Inception" I can see why people gfive it 10 with Kick Ass I don't. Hence perhaps the stronger tone. However when I read the review of the movie I love and Ifind it harsh and wrong I still like it - the humour, the style, the vocabulary used. Even if someone wrote "RDJ is awful in Holmes and only insane people can love it" and then someone gave me reasons for this line, honest to God I'd give well written.

If you feel offended by my SI review it is you who is taking the things too personally. I talk about bad editing there, bad story stracture, not about the fact theofffice gave it 10.

Lastly, you gave me utter nonsense without reading the review. Without even suspecting that "hey! even if she didn't like Nolan's directing she gave the movie 9/10! So she must have reasons and arguments for it". Then you did that little show of yours when you kept posting shouts and deleted them when me and Sophie responded. That was not ok.

But as I said it is the "utter nonsense" words I obejct to. I don't intend to change anything in my writing. If I think something is terrible I write it. If I think someone should be ashamed I will too. But never was it my intention to bash the readers. You take your time to read, I appreciate it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfreddelgado
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010 edited
    @LordMyst said:

why is the netherlands going to win the World Cup 2010?

because we are the best ;)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you wanna edit your question and your answer, LordMyst? :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's really necessary just give some bucks to review's writers but not take or give any addicional points when someone marks "utter nonsense" or "well written". It's a good thing what they do.
    Of course we need to vote if this or that was well written or not but never take/give points because of it.

When I read the reviews I don't mark if I agree or disagree, I really vote about the quality of them (I do the same about shots, but never mind). This is the reason that I never wrote.
    As all of you can see, for the obvious reasons, I learned english by myself and, opposite to my portuguese, it's totaly full of wrong sentences and all these stuffs, and when I try to do something I try to do my best.

That's it. :]

See ya.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    also - it's surely too much to ask but would it be possible to see the comments under review on hompage? I can see comments on my shots and profile but not on review, going through 63 review just to check the comments is ridiculous.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2010
    It seems sati is expecting some staff statement about the "utter nonsense" issue...
    Well I don't know about my fellows from the staff, but here's where I stand :
    "Utter nonsense" doesn't bother me. Just as "It is official – the world has gone mad" doesn't bother me either.
    I wouldn't even think to take any of those seriously.
    And if I did, I wouldn't even care.
    So 21 people think sati's Kick-Ass review is "utter nonsense". Good for them.
    And sati thinks the word's gone officially mad. Great. She has every right to think that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Yes why would I expect some word from the staff in a question thread on 4um that is just insane.
    Good for you, what a wonderful mod you are caring about users and suggestions! Bravo.
    So you don't take the issue which I wrote about and supported by two users seriously or you don't even care.
    We are lucky to have you.
    For the last few months I was asking "why is UN necessary?" Did I get an answer? No. Either nothing or "I don't care/I don't take it seriously". It's great that you take your user's suggestions into consideration that often!
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    We're so lucky to have you too, sati.

By the way, if I didn't care about your issue or didn't take it seriously, I wouldn't have answered.
    What I don't take seriously is the "utter nonsense" words nor the "It is official – the world has gone mad" statement.
    Plus, I'm afraid I don't live to know what people think of your reviews or what you think about the world. That's my right, as a WTM user, as a human being. And I don't mind being told I'm wrong. I don't even mind this being regarded as utter nonsense.

You asked for an opinion, I gave you mine. That's all it was. And I clearly stated it was not WTM staff's position.
    Yes, mods are people too. They have opinions. And they can disagree with you. Just like anyone else.
    And for what it's worth, my point was: you really need to chill out. People are allowed to disagree with you and the "utter nonsense" button just means that. You mentioned humor in your reviews... Why is it gone now ?
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    the utter nonsense is the down option, the other one is the up option
    that could be yay/nay, rocks/sucks, yes/no, up/down, cat/dog, kentucky/swasiland or whatever, it doesn't matter
    i don't really get the problem, one is up, one is down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Then why exactly can't it be 'yay/nay'? That's perfect and funny.
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    I'm pretty new here and havn't written any reviews so maybe I don't know how it feels to get UN, but I'd like to say I love the 'utter nonesense' and 'shout is crap' buttons. It really amused me first time I saw them.
    Sure, yay/nay could work too, or up/down. And sure, UN isn't necessary. But I truly appreciate it when the creators don't feel obliged to be on the "safe side". Much funnier and more fun this way.
    •  
      CommentAuthortliff
    because we like our buttons silly around here
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    I believe you addressed this before and we already explained you, so I will repeat it once again "utter nonsense" and "shout is crap" are just WTM slang, it has always been the tone of the site, it's second degree. This wont be changed to "my dear I disagree", the tone has never been that way and I hope it will never be. Let's not take things so serious... It is not meant to upset you, if it does, then that's what you make of it.
    Where I agree with you, is the fact that people taking the time to write long reviews should get more credits on the site and that loosing bucks for these utter non sense is maybe not very nice and I think we could do something about this and even then, why should you care so much? this is a mystery to me. People are allowed to desagree with you and this is what it means nothing more, just words...
    I believe Naut and Tliff are keen to improve the site, they listen to people recommendation and seek for new ideas from you people. As a matter of fact all improvements that have been made since the beginning came from suggestions made by the users, and believe me or not, there were tones and there will be much more in the future I'm sure. So let's stop with "nobody listen to me, the mods dont care, they are not open to suggestions... etc
    Because that's far from been the case. But we want to hear interesting suggestions about the game, scaling, making the quality of the site and the possibilities here better not about a certain vocabulary which apparently some take far too serious. This is a place to have fun and not take your self and others too serious either. And I believe in no way Naut and Tliff will want to have these shout is crap and utter non sense becoming public. For which reasons? because people would start arguing and chasing each other on the profiles "hey why did you shout crap at me?"... which would result to nobody even daring to desagree and to express it because they would upset certain people. This should remain anonymous, people are allowed to disagree with you, if they want to explain you why, they can, if not, they also can...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsati
    Well let them be silly, then. I just think nay and yay are much funnier and friendly.
    All I'm saying
    But since apparantly my final attempt didn't work out I'm gonna do this mentally picture - YAY where" well written" is and NAY where "utter nonsense" is:)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2010
    WTM slang?

do we have a slang?
    didn't know we have any

I am a longtime member here but I didn't know we had WTM slang
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010 edited
    I just wanted to post a little series of shots including this one http://img36.imageshack.us/i/ersatz2.png/
    But when i went through the uploading process i realized a similar shot http://whatthemovie.com/shot/102501 has been posted as a character shot no 12 hours ago. In fact there are (at least) four character shots for this particular charakter http://whatthemovie.com/shot/75957 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/102504 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/102507 but none of those can be seen on the movie page. The only way i could see this snaps was when i was asked to check for dupes during the uploading process. To me it felt like Kaylua was posting this shots as character shots cause he had already used all his regular uploads for this movie but still wanted to post more shots from this film.

So my questions are:
    - Why aren't this shots shown in the character section of the movie page? Or what's the point of this shots being uploaded if you can't see them on the movie page?
    - Is there any reason to post more than one character shot for a character?
    - What are the exact rules for uploading character shots? To me http://whatthemovie.com/shot/102501 wouldn't be a character shot cause you can't even see the characters face and http://whatthemovie.com/shot/102507 would to me be rather a shot for the ff than for the character section.
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010
    Question: Which movie has the most snaps on WTM?
    And while we're at it, what are the top ten (if there's a way to know that)?
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2010
    @doooom
    Interesting questions you raised. There are a lot of things that I don't understand myself, in how the characters section works.
    I agree with you: shots uploaded as character shots should show the character's face... (for FF shots *assigned* as character shots afterwards, I don't mind if we don't see the face, they were not made for this in the first place). I'll report this to the staff, for discussion.