Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthornaut
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010 edited
    Hi folks,

We have some good news, and we have some bad news.

Long time moderator them00ch stepped down from his post.
    Main reason for his decision were time issues, Being a moderator is very time consuming.
    He won’t quit playing and he will still be around (you better be! ;) he just needs some time off the brainslug.

them00ch: let me take the time to thank you for all you’ve done for WTM. We wouldn’t be closing
    in to 100,000 uploads (soonish) without your help! Thanks so much!! and I hope we’ll eventually
    get you back some day :)

The good news is, we’ve found a new mod, who accepted to step in.
    You might have heard from him: It’s Mr. First Solve in person: MisterZob!

I’m sure he will be a great addition to the team.
    Our main staff now consists of (in alphabetical order):
    > Asmodai
    > Chrisy
    > MisterZob
    > tliff and myself

Deviant is currently very busy with his job and thus seldomly around.
    Zanapher and Nimmy are long time fellows, who helped us a lot during the first months
    and miascugh will soon have an awesome return with many new memorabilia!
    • CommentAuthorGregh
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2010
    Congrats to MisterZob for becoming a moderator :)

And m00ch, hope you can battle your other workload without it affecting your WTM activity too much. Naut's right, you better still be around!
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    Welcome MisterZob and byebye Mooch. Already told you I'll miss you a lot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRacetrack
    Yeah, the job must be really hard, trying to arbitrate this crazy bunch of movie fanatics. A great loss for the team, but also a huge benefit getting MisterZob on board. The King is dead, long live the King!

And m00ch: you'd better be around here, otherwise i'll only vote 9/10 for your shots ;-)
    • CommentAuthorTalie
    Agree with Racetrack - only 9 and no fav ;)
    See you around m00ch, and good luck MisterZob :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Thanks to m00ch for all you've done for WTM, congrats and welcome to MrZob.
    No risk that the number of magically accepted headshots of JD or beautiful LOTR shots will increase in the near future...
  1.  permalink
    Hey: M00000000CH.
    You've been a great moderator.
    Because I know it's not easy to handle a Palahniuk every day.

Thank you for your insight and kindness.

Now!

I have a Mister Zob to handle.

Mmmmmmmmh…
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    It's sad you had to leave the team m00ch, but I also hope you will stick around ;)
    And I would like to say that I think by choosing MisterZob you guys made a good choise so congratulations MisterZob =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMimimi
    Just glad to hear you'll stay around m00ch and congrats to you Misterzob!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    Joining the club by saying:

"Thanks for all the good work" to Mr. M00ch
    and
    "Congratulations on the job" to Mr. MisterZob
  2.  permalink
    Good job everyone, get some rest, m00ch, and be brave, MrZob !
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2010
    I can only repeat what all the others already said. A pity you leave the team m00ch, but absolutely understandable regarding the time WTM already consumes with solving and uploading :) Lately, I thought about stepping a little bit shorter myself, too.
    I also really hope you'll stick around. I love your uploads and talking to you on IRC. It gave me some great new movie finds and many fun hour here and hopefully still will in the future. Don't go away!
    And congratulations to MisterZob. It's the logical and right choice to let him filling m00ch's shoes. A great new addition to the moderators team.
    •  
      CommentAuthorthem00ch
    @MisterZob. A big congratulations - it is about time all your hard work and dedication to WTM is honored with the brainslug. I know you will be a great Moderator because, well... you already essentially were, and now you have the blue tag to prove it. Whether you realise it or not you have taught me so much about film and pushed my in new directions, and I hope you continue to do this for everyone else.

At the moment, I do not have the time and resources to devote to the site that I should have, and it is mainly for this reason I have decided to hang up my brainslug and hand over to someone who can give WTM the attention it (she?) deserves.

I'm going to be taking a break from WTM for a while, although I will be in IRC in #whatthemovie if anyone wants to chat or catch up. Before WTM, I was honestly sceptical about friendships formed over the internet, but this great community proved me wrong, and I am happy to say I have made a couple of great friends while I am here who have supported me all the way. I would have taken this step a lot sooner if it wasnt for them. You know who you are :)

Now I've been de-slugged, I feel I can speak my feelings a little more openly than I could before, so while I am on my soapbox, I want to say a few things to anyone who may be reading.....

Enough with the negativity already!! I have been part of a few movie communities in my time, and I can honestly say you will not find a more eclectic, forgiving and friendly bunch of film lovers anywhere online. It is only here that Bay and Bruckheimer can rub shoulders with Ozu and Eisenstein. Only on WTM that Bela Tarr and Tarkovsky can duke it out with Tony Scott and George Lucas. When reduced to a single frame, the playing field is levelled like nowhere else, and I think a lot of people forget that.

To the Blockbuster and modern "visual movie" posters : push your boundaries a little, there is so much more out there for you to discover. Never say you dislike a "type" or "age" of film. Experience it with an open mind before making a judgment. Use the tools and people available at WTM to discover new experiences. You will be rewarded with knowledge, a wealth of new choices, and rarely have to fight for an open slot again :) Never complain if your shot doesn't make it, as 90% of the time you are on the advantageous side.

To the posters of more classic, arthouse or little-known cinema : keep doing what you do, but accept graciously that popular is... well popular. In a land of the visual, it takes a little more perserverence, and an enhanced eye for that perfect shot to be victorious. But never stop perservering - WTM is diverse because of you. By the same token, don't be too dismissive of the people that only post modern blockbusters, as the marriage of different tastes is what makes WTM such a unique and great place to be, and besides - there are a *few* great modern popular films ;)

All of you : treasure what you have. Naut and Tliff have created a unique playground here where a lot can be learned, and much fun can be had. I have never known admins who are SO receptive to their community. Most of the changes that I have seen on WTM, have been driven purely from community demand.

And finally, go easy on the moderators. As misterzob will no doubt find out, it's a huge responsibility, and a tough job, being the one who decides which shots to save from the community's votes (amongst all the other responsibilities). You can't please everyone all the time, and for every time you may be angry at one of their decisions there are probably 2 or 3 decisions that went in your favour that you took for granted. Relax and enjoy :)

Yeah another long post from me - so I'll just say congrats again MrZob, thanks for everyone's nice comments, and I'll see you around. *sniff*
  3.  permalink
    Frankly, I don't know how you guys do it. I mainly lurk around here and play to sharpen my observational and deductive skills. My hat is off to you for creating and maintaining one of the internet's treasures. There's no way I could possibly do what the moderators do (but then, when I'm not lurking around here, I am a medical school professor with way too much to do anyway). My best to all of you, stepping down, stepping up and staying put.

EW (Mrs.)
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    you were a great mod M00ch
    we had our fun moments together ;)
    thx for everything

and MrZob congrats
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    Thanks M00ch for the great great great (great) job you did for this wonderful site. I totally agree with you, your words are inspriring as ever. I really think it's a shame to see you go but on the other hand the most obvious successor was chosen: MisterZob is a logical choise. Good luck with it!
    • CommentAuthordekolta
    Hey m00ch thanks for all your time here, and I'm glad MisterZob is your replacement :) ha ha

It is also good that you stepped down. What I mean is that on many sites you see the staff become less active after a while and where it ones was with 8 doing a good job. Later only 4 of that 8 are active and are doing all the work of what normally 8 does. Also WTM has growed a lot over the last few months (including with friends of mine), but the staff stays important as there aren't many rules, but we just need them :)
  4.  permalink
    • CommentAuthorhanske84
    thanks a lot m00ch for your great efforts here on WTM, you did a great job!!!

and good luck and congrats to MisterZob, now we will pay you a visit with questions and suggestions ;)

once again, thanks m00ch!
    • CommentAuthorIlse
    Thanks m00ch and welcome MisterZob!
  5.  permalink
    them00ch still remains a living WTM-legend! Thanks for everything and till next time!
    And congrats (and good luck) MisterZob! :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    OK, I finally found some time to write down a few words. :)

@them00ch

Thanks for those kind words. I'm really glad you discovered new movie horizons thanks to some shots of mine. Because that's the main reason I come to WTM every day : to discover movies I never heard about, to remember classics I forgot and to realize I shouldn't have turned my back on some flicks in the first place.
    As for being promoted moderator, I consider it an honor to be your successor.
    I hope you'll stick around, mate. Because it's always a pleasure to discover a shout of yours below a shot of mine. :)

@every poster above and those who shouted on my profile

Thanks also for your nice comments. I'll try to do my best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZanapher
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    Congratulations to MisterZob for the nomination. I'm sure you'll do a great job as a moderator.
    I myself have not have time to play my part for months (and sadly I don't think it's going to change in the near future). I haven't even have much time to play the game...

I should probably also "resign" from my moderator function seeing how I don't perform it anymore... I might resume my activities as a script hunter some day though :)

Good job to all the current staff !