Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010 edited
    Hey everyone,

Due to tliff's busyness, we are unable to start our planned special contest just now. Because an empty vault is boring, we have decided to squeeze a short contest in between.
    The topic is: Worldwide WTM. We wants snapshots from famous locations and buildings around the planet: stuff like empire state building, eiffel tower but also niagara falls, the great wall of china and mount kilimanjaro. The only requirement is that EVERYBODY from across the world should be able to know the place, so no buildings only your own countrymen would know. All locations should also be (or have been) REAL places on planet Earth. So no monument from planet of the apes, or a memorial plaque from the moon.

Other rules:
    One shot per movie, total.
    Two shots per non-contributor, three per contributor.
    Top 10 shots and solvers win awesome uploads.
    Top 3 shots and solvers win memorabilia.
    No sharing of hints, if you wish to share a hint ON YOUR OWN SHOT with other people, you are free to do so in a shout in the shot's own shoutbox, where everybody can see it. (But we prefer not at all).
    Moderators are free to remove any shots that don't fit the theme, or are in violation of the other general uploading rules. If there is enough time, you are free to upload a new shot, but if you can't do this in time, the staff is not responsible.

Uploading starts monday 13th september, 20.00 CEST and lasts one week.
    Solving starts monday 20th september, 20.00 CEST and lasts one week.

Enjoy and good luck!

http://whatthemovie.com/vault/16
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010 edited
    nice theme :)

but some questions, before i look for shots:

- its allowed to post shots in future (or past), there is maybe the capitol in washington a ruin (but still easy recognizable as the capitol)
    - paintings of this areas/buildings allowed?
    - a well known building is shown on a coin or a miniatur edition which a tourist buy

And damn the contest come 1 week to late... http://whatthemovie.com/shot/106965
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2010
    As long as the building or location is clearly recognizable, past or future shots are allowed. If you use paintings or miniatures, only if this is clearly an important thing of the shot. So not a small painting in the background which nobody would normally would notice.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    Good decision to make a contest while tliff is still busy in his rl.

The theme is interesting but i hope it's not to easy. And let's hope there's some variety among the shots and not like 20 shots of the Eiffel Tower.
    I've already check on my harddrive and found about 15 shots fitting the contest theme (including three of the Eiffel Tower) so i'm probably well prepared for this contest. ;)
  1.  permalink
    • CommentAuthorthaizy
    a statue that can't be moved is considered a place?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    If the statue is big enough to be well-known and associated with the place ;) Statue of Liberty is fine, statue of Jezus at rio also, but stuff like Venus de Milo isn't, because it still is a statue and not part of Paris.
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    maybe its a good idea to tag the name of the building/location on the snapshot? would make it easier for mods to check out the snapshot is right for the contest or not
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010 edited
    Well, since everybody should know the place, and us mods aren't the dumbest around it would be easy: If we know it, it's good. If not, we can always ask. But you are of course welcome to add tags :)
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010
    You talked about one shot per movie, what about shots per "place" ? Are we allowed to upload more than one shot for the eiffel tower but from differents movies?
    • CommentAuthorshantak
    Hey guys!

One question: can i post a shot with the name of the place in the legend of the film?

For example: a shot of Alcatraz with the legend "Alcatraz" in the botton.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Kinoute: Yes, of course! As long as they are different movies, you're fine.
    Shantak: Not unless Alcatraz itself is actually visible in the shot.
    20:00 CEST = Central European Standard Time? there should be 24 hour to go, but i see this:

Time remaining: 7 hours left Status: Announced WTM Worldwide
    •  
      CommentAuthornaut
    sorry, my mistake. should be fixed.
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010
    Are caricatures of famous places allowed (if they are still clearly recognizable)?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010
    Two things:

People, please DON'T upload shots that you couldn't get a slot for into NS, or any other shots that go with this theme. Because you can't see which shots are already uploaded into the vault, you will have a big chance of causing dupes.

Also, I have deleted a few shots from people who apparently didn't get the theme. The point of this contest is to get shots from SPECIFIC places on earth, not just nice shots from random earth-places. Great wall of China: fine, some random bridge: not good, Empire state building: ok, a piece of ocean: nope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Btw I haven't got any awesome uploads for the 4th place in the "Food and drinks" contest :P
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    You should contact naut or tliff for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRazzomega
    Fair ;), thanks.
    • CommentAuthormagdanml
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010 edited
    Great that there is another contest after a long time without one but I thought about one thing about the theme. Since the theme is "WTM worldwide" why not let people add shots of building well known in their own country but not in whole world and make a sightseeing tour without getting off the chair form this contest. I know that this would make guessing a lot harder but I think it would be better than clicking 200 shots and seeing only 10 buildings. After all it's a international site and it would be fun to see what other countries have to offer.
    Since it's probably too late to think about what I wrote and change the rules, this post is only to show my opinion. And I really can't wait to participate in this contest nonetheless.
  2.  permalink
    @magdanml - I totally agree!
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2010
    @magdanml

yes i think too late for this contest, because most people already uploaded their shots. But it will be a nice idea for another contest :) I like the idea to see new interesting places or landscapes, but i think its only good if all people tag the name of the place on their snapshots - without many people never know what they see on the snapshot.
  3.  permalink
    Next time we do a WTC contest.
  4.  permalink
    @Winterwolf
    I think that some people still have at least one free slot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomBeeBob
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2010
    I'll bet we will see at least 25 shots of the Eiffel Tower :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    I contributed two! :p
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    I uploaded one (even though i had four on my hd).
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    I also uploaded the eiffel tower. That makes 4. Who follows?
    •  
      CommentAuthormikebozzio
    me too...
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    me 3 :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorenerg
    me four
    • CommentAuthoragonistes
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010 edited
    me five :P
    • CommentAuthorJohannaP
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010
    Well that's a lot of Eiffel Towers :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010 edited
    In the meantime you can still visit whattheplace.com: http://www.whattheplace.com/
    Hmm, I wonder where they got the idea for that site?
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010
    I like that site. Unfortunately it's dead.
    But a very nice idea. Well, we have the contest now.