Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011
    Hey everyone,

You voted for it: The new vault's theme will be Pictures in Pictures: this means, shots of photographs!

Everything is allowed (but normal rules for movies count, so no direct to TV, shorts, etc. etc.), as long as there is a photograph in the shot. This can be a framed photograph, a picture in a newspaper or whatever you can think of, just as long as it is clear that it is a picture (so if the entire shot is of the picture, there has to be at least something like a hand holding it, or a frame around it or whatever).

- Best solvers and uploaders get au's and memorabilia.
    - Uploading starts next saturday (29) at 20.00 CET and lasts for a week, when solving starts which also will last for a week.
    - No giving out hints
    - 2 shots per uploader, 3 for supporters
    - 1 shot per film in the whole vault!

Have fun and good luck!
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011 edited
    hmm oke.. so it's oke to post an awesome action shot with boobs and explosions as long as there is a picture hanging on a wall in the background?

i think the picture should be the main thing in the shot.. let me know what you think.. because i will need to search for a shot with boobs, explosions and a small picture somwhere ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    You're right bazzy3000.
    For example is this shot valid since there is a small picture in a frame in the background ?

1.  permalink
    the photo should be the main object in the shot. otherwise it is regular wtm just with a picture somewhere.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    Agree the picture should be the main thing in the shot. But for example I have a shot where the picture is in the background but is important for the shot, it basically makes the shot funny and was added by the director for this purpose. That can be allowed of course as soon as it is not just there for nothing. Having only pictures with a hand holding it for 200 shots would also be very boring, a bit of inspiration should also be allowed IMO
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    Hmm and what about many photographs on a wall in the background of a shot which are clearly visible ?
    Since the topic is "Photographs in movies" I think it can be many things and I agree with Chrisy, a bit inspiration wouldn't be bad...otherwise it gets boring too to see 200 almost identical shots with a single photograph.

Well I guess I will just upload my shots and let mods decide if they are accepted. :)
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    well i for one think rules should be clear ahead.. a boring shot of a hand and a photo will never win from a good regular shot with a photo in the background.. and to me it sounds interesting.. pictures in pictures.. will be very difficult! let's see how good some of us really are!
    • CommentAuthoricemotion
    The shots I prepared have the pictures in them as part of the focus. They don't take up almost the entire shot.. I could find plenty of those, but that'd be indeed boring. So I took shots in which the photo is important and not just a random background element.

It has to matter IMO.
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2011 edited
    yeah icemotion! i've got shots like that! the contest is photos in movies! so the photo has to be an important part of the shot.. it doesn't have to be a full screen shot.. but a picture on a wall while there is killing (or fucking) going on in the forground shouldn't be allowed.. but this will be a hard contest! great if you ask me!

it is all up to the mods.. or perhaps asmodai as he is the contest mod as far as i know.. users won't know the difference i am afraid.. i always tried to judge contest shots according to the theme.. many times i thought that the voters just treat it as wtm.. vote the for the shot... forget the contest topic.. that is not why we have contests....

let's see what asmodai will make of it.. good luch on this one asmo!
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011
    Pictures should be an important factor in the shot and should at least be visible in detail, but, they don't have to be front and center. A picture can be in the back, as long as it is clear what is on the picture, and it matters somewhat for the shot (not the movie, the shot). We do check if shots follow the theme during uploading, and I do ask everyone here to select their shots with the theme in mind (and also vote that way!).
    A wall filled with multiple photographs is of course also good, it doesn't have to be one specific picture :)
    • CommentAuthorshalev
    What if someone is holding a photo and we only see the back of it?
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Nope, no good :) You cannot see if it is a picture or just a blank sheet of paper, a drawing or whatever else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKeyser_Soze
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011 edited
    What about a poster (of a movie for example)? It's not a photograph but it's close to newspapers :\
    And of course you can see it's a poster...
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2011 edited
    But from poster it's a small step to a painting, or a child's drawing, or graffiti... If there is a picture or a screenshot of a movie on a poster, it's fine with me, but there has to be something photographed on it.
    • CommentAuthorHeadlock
    Wouldn't be "photographs" a better title then? I know it's not as catchy as "pictures in pictures" but I do think it's more accurate that way.
    • CommentAuthorMaxi
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2011
    @Headlock: You got it! "PiP" is really delusive.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2011
    If i take a look in the current New Submissions i start to think there should be a rule disallowing to upload snaps in NS the match the contest theme, at least while uploading for the contest is allowed. Out now there are at least 6 snaps in the NS that would fit the theme of the current contest:
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/137780 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/137705 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/137837 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/137943 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/138036 http://whatthemovie.com/shot/138069
    Each of this snap could be either a dupe, if someone else has already uploaded the same shot in the contest, or it could take away a potentially intesting snap someone else wanted to post in the contest. Or to make it short: I think is kind of unfair to upload this snaps in the NS while uploading for the contest is still going on.
    • CommentAuthorLordMyst
    I think there is rule about that I am not sure

but if one of those are in the vault it will be deleted
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    There is no officlal rule, just common sense which some people seem to lack. But as LM said, if they turn out to be dupes, they will be deleted: no excuses.

EDIT: Of course some snaps may be from people who already took the slot of that particular movie in the vault, in that case it is fine but they could also have waited a few more days ;)
  2.  permalink
    400 snapshots is a hell of a lot to go through. Perhaps we can lower the allowed number of uploads for vault contests in the future? The number of people playing keeps growing, so if everyone is allowed to enter two or three snapshots, we'll have vaults with 1000+ snaps before long. And I ain't got that kind of free time.

Well, I do, but hopefully soon I'll manage to find a damn job and then I won't.
    • CommentAuthorChrisy
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011
    we will see how it goes with the next contest. This one was also obviously VERY broad, it wasn't difficult to find a picture to upload ;) We have to see with a contest a bit more specific
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2011
    @Chrisy, think you're right, the topic was too broad, too easy to find shots, it took me three minutes in my own vault... And some shots will probably remain unsolved... we'll see...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsiren34
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    If we limit the snaps to 1 shot per person we could actually revisit a contest theme at a later date . . . and if you only had 1 shot to enter you are likely to be more picky about the shot . . .
  3.  permalink
    next contest: hammer and sickle! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthortorqu3
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011 edited
    well I'm skipping this contest..It's not my cup of tea..boring and too many shots..
    • CommentAuthorRDPL55
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011 edited
    Next contest garage doors... !! That wil be fun !!!! ;=) or banana skin... more difficult !!
    • CommentAuthorGregh
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    I'm gutted that the vault scores have frozen again. I can't be bothered to improve my solves for the contest when there is no way of telling where I am compared to everyone else. It's annoying that this happens and it's happened before, can't there be a solution?
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    agree with gregh, wanted write down the same. Got not much time during the week and i think i am out of 10 now. But it would be nice to know how many solves i need to be in top 10 again. If there are too many people with too many solves i can use the time for better things if i have no chance to reach top 10 again
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    ever since this topic was on top of the poll i wondered why people would vote for it.
    i voted 'split-screens' and think it would have been way more interesting.
    but i really don't want to complain. it wasn't as much fun as previous ones but i played the contest anyway.
    i see the vault as a kind of extra service from the staff for those people who can't get enough WTM by playing the normal quiz.
    of course the staff can't find a superb topic every single time. so they ask the community what they would like.
    and the voter chose: pictures in pictures.
    it's the nature of elections, the outcome may suck supremely for those voters who "lost" but at least it's a democratic decision.

going back to OhLookBirdies' initial notion: i also think the number of snaps should be limited.
    400 shots is way too many and counters the "for casual players" argument.

i also think that future polls shouldn't have as many candidates. something around 5-7 maybe.
    that way you avoid the "spread" that efji mentioned and the votes get accumulated more, which would make for a result that is even more representative.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    Two major problems with this contest : 1) too many themes in the poll so the results mean nothing 2) the poll is in the forum; there are, let's say, 20% of the active players who come here so, again, the results don't reflect the wishes of at least 50% of the players.

Maybe a second vote with the top 2 or 3 results would have been better. But whatever, i voted for "legs & feet" because i like legs and thought this theme would give us really beautiful shots, but "pictures in pictures" won, no problem, let's play.

An announcement in the first page to ask the players to come here to vote would have been great too (sorry if there was one, didn't see it) if we can't have a poll in the first page.