Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorSirrah
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2013
    I don't like the idea of hidden votes on own shots :( and some people just don't like surprises ;)
    What's the puropse of doing this?
    • CommentAuthorvepro
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2013 edited
    I'm with Sirrah, nosundayfear and others on disliking our own votes hidden. and I would, as well, like to know the purpose. sure we can all get used to everything around here, but I can't say I see the point of this change, so if anyone could enlight me, please do so.

edit: there might be a reason stated earlier in the topic but I must have missed it
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Like already said, I don't see the purpose of hidding the first votes. But it's not a big deal. Just a bad surprise every new day :)
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    1. This feature is being tested, we don't know if we'll keep it.
    2. This had been discussed in the "Hide them all! (...)" topic.
    3. This is perfectly consistant with the fact that NS shots are not accepted before they're at least 24 hours old: we need to collect enough votes for the rating to actually mean something.
    4. Some users kept watching their ratings going down and complaining about it.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    5.Some users are (wrongly) assuming that first solver is equal to first voter and complain on user's Profile : "why did you vote 3?"
    • CommentAuthorvepro
    @MisterZob and @kinoute

reason 1. - no problem, it's good to test different things to find the best solution.
    reason 2. - as I said, might have missed it
    reason 3. - different times in a day (24hrs) have different activity level, voting, solving, uploading, so if a snap gets caught in more active periods it will have more votes and the other way around. I really don't see how hiding the ratings on ones snaps will change the number of votes, or the limit in which given nuber of votes mean something
    reasons 4. and 5. - those are solely subjective reasons and don't effect the votes on any of the snaps. people complain all the time about ratings, little less so they wrongfully acuse people of voting low as first solvers which is wrong in every aspect since all of us have freedom (and obligation) to vote on snaps using the whole scale. so, those who complain constantly might appear iritating and frustrating but it has nothing to do with the overall rating of the snap after first 24hrs.
    • CommentAuthorSirrah
    Ok, I understand that, but you say about some users and what about the rest? There are people who do not complain about ratings so much :)
    And thinking about first solver as a first voter is at least... inappropriate.
    However thanks for the info.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    @vepro
    3. This is not a matter of time. It's a matter of duration. And this is not about collecting more votes. It's about the rating (which is a weighted arithmetic mean) being more meaningful when you can see it.
    During those 24hrs, votes are collected just as always, making the rating, when it's revealed, more significant. Because it will be based on probably more than 20 votes (instead of only 1, 2, 3, 4, ... if you keep looking at it).
    No poll/survey is ever based on a 5-person sample, this would lead to an almost certain inaccuracy. Any poll/survey has to be taken from a sample large enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMacMono
    I don't mind, it's not that different than from getting up in the morning and looking at the night votes...
    • CommentAuthorvepro
    @MisterZob, sure, everything you wrote is correct, but what I can't understand is what power do I, as a user who keeps refreshing to see the ratings, have over the final rating after the 24hr period. it seems to me it is an change implemented for people who can't stand seeing their rating falling and have an serious issue with it. bottom line, the rating will not be fairer or more accurate based on it's visibility in any given period, which I am sure you can agree on. therefore I don't see any reason, game related, for such change, since it only deals with an personal and subjective experience of dealing with rating that deteriorates through time
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @vepro
    3: on a 24h period of time you always get the same repartition of periods of activity and inactivity...
    • CommentAuthorvepro
    @efji, that is true if all days would have the same activity in the same periods of day, but for example weekends differe from the rest of the week and some days from another
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    @vepro
    Ratings are not expected to change. This feature was not implemented to do so.
    It just makes more sense that way. You don't reveal a poll/survey result, or even tendencies, until it actually means something.
    • CommentAuthorvepro
    @MisterZob, nothing wrong with your answer once again, but since this result isn't visible to anyone before the SotDs are chosen anyway, except to the uploader him/herself, your explenation hardly has any effect on the general public, part from those few user who share their rating with others inside "before SotD" period. so you might say the one who's doing the poll/survey in this case is the uploader, and no on who does the poll/survey can't publish results if they can't see them from start to finish of the poll/survey.
    • CommentAuthorbeatnic
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2013
    I must say I really don't like this improvement, but if some players keep complaining, maybe we could find a compromise : why not hiding only the twenty first votes, for instance ?
    Of course, the rating will continue to go down, but players won't try to guess who gave them low ratings. And twenty four hours to wait is a very long time...
  1.  permalink
    This suspense is killing me. Come on, guys, 24 hours is too much.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013
    We first decided to try 24 hours but we also had in mind to show the ratings only after X votes. We will try this soon!
  2.  permalink
    Thanks. 10 votes is OK :)
    • CommentAuthorErtai
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2013
    This 24 h is also killing me. I'm always dying to know, how the rating progresses ;)
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2013
    - your ratings can be seen after 15 votes now
    - when you add a shot from a recent movie, the movie is automatically locked right after the upload until one of the moderators approve your webstore link
    - in order to avoid (2) people uploading shots from the same movie and leaving no slot to other players, you now have to wait 17 days (instead of 2 weeks before) to upload a new shot from the same movie
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2013
    - you can now import your ratings/fav from IMDB directly in your settings (works for movies & series). DVD covers for series will be soon available
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    Ok some news for ranks:

- Now you need to be at least a Grip (1000 bucks) to upload shots

- An Executive Producer (150k bucks) can lock/unlock movies in the "info" tab and turn stuff into series. (we have logs of every player doing that so no abuse).

- A Writer can send shots straight into limbo (if you vote-delete, the shot will be directly deleted). We can see that too.

- A Director can organize his own side quest. Winterwolf is next.

- I also reorganized low ranks and privileges but it does not really matter. I updated the FAQ. Everything is explained here: http://whatthemovie.com/page/help#wtm_bucks

- We might change the maximum of bucks allowed per day to 400 or 500, it mainly depends of how many new actions generating new bucks will be added.

- The nudity memo was uploaded but it's not functional yet

I'll add soon Scruffy's shouts when you reach a new rank, explaining what privileges you get etc.
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    nice work! i blasted some minutes ago a NS Shot as only voter, was really surprised, now i know why ;)
    • CommentAuthoryhi
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2013
    I have discarded the message, and I don't remember how to proceed to import my ratings from imdb.

Can you put a message here to explain how to do it ?
    Thanks !
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    @yhi

i hope the this link helps you: http://whatthemovie.com/user/settings --> click there on "Import IMDB Ratings"

if the link not work --> click on the top on the right side "Options" / "Settings" --> click on "Import IMDB Ratings"
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    Nice work@kinoute
    But it seems I can see the ratings of my shots even if there are less than 15 votes.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    Yeah I reverted it..
    • CommentAuthoryhi
    That works !

Awesome feature kinoute !
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2014 edited
    Some changes:

- 5k DVD covers for TV series were just imported. You can change now your series with no covers and choose the one you like (in the "has watched" list)
    - Non-english DVD covers for movies are being imported right now
    - You can check your favorite series too on your shelf now
    - An Editor+ (100k+ bucks) can now edit characters name and delete characters
    - An Executive Producer+ (150k+ bucks) can now add TV series to the database. (I also fixed the unlock feature to avoid abuse).
    - Every time you rate a movie/series on WTM, it will be added to your "has watched" list on your shelf
    - Scruffy now grabs a lot of informations for TV Series, just like movies (characters, DVD covers, creators, abstract, genres..). The import of characters is temp. disabled, I need to fix something
    - Fixed ratings on your own shots that were not displayed in the NS overview
    - The nudity memo is now enabled: 100 shots needed with the "nudity" tag. I'll add the "xx shots left" feature later
    - Added a "hard" difficulty in the random awesome button
    - Completely changed the way of defining the difficulty of a shot: Before the difficulty (easy/medium/hard) was defined as soon as the shot was moved into the FF. That's why AUs always had a "hard" difficulty because the script was checking how many solves the shot had after a few minutes and there was nothing (it's fixed now). Before, a shot needed to have 150 solves to be easy and less than 50 solves to be hard (and between 50-150 medium). I changed it too. Now, the difficulty of every FF shot is checked every 30 minutes and updated if needed. So now, a hard shot needs to have less than 30 solves, and an easy shot more than 200 solves.

Happy new year everyone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZo0
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014
    great work kinoute :)

happy new year for you and everybody ;)
    • CommentAuthorErtai
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2014
    Three thumbs up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMacMono
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2015
    Hey everybody,
    Just a thought here: wouldn't it be nice to have a new upload memo?
    MisterZob and Asmodai have reached the 2k uploads and more are to come. So what about 2.4k? 2.5k?
    What do you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2015
    @MacMono

Great idea

• CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015
    Uploading seems to be broken, we're working on it.

@MacMono : Next one would logically be 2500, and even Zob and me are still a long way away from that ;) We'll maybe discuss some new memorabilia soon, but no promises!
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015 edited
    Hello there,

Some changes/fixes I made recently:

- readjusted the number of solves needed to define the difficulty: hard (< 15 solves), medium (< 100 solves), easy (> 100 solves)
    - you can now upload title/character shots for locked movies (don't forget that you can also do that for TV Series)
    - datas from movies/TV Series will be imported as soon as you create the entry
    - SotM will be pick up automatically for now at a certain date chosen randomly after the 4th of every month
    - updated 1600 characters with no actor assigned
    - fixed supporter stats
    - fixed alt+8/9 to rate shots that were messing with your browser shortcuts
    - fixed arrow keys shortcuts interfering with browser shortcuts (alt + ← or →)
    - fixed generated urls of movies in shouts
    - fixed wrong text for recent NS/FF/AUs
    - fixed shots from NS/FF/contest showing in the favourite movies section on profile

What I am working on right now:

- actor/director page (very EARLY version: http://whatthemovie.com/actor/scarlett_johansson / http://whatthemovie.com/actor/leonardo_dicaprio)
    - growl notifications for supporters
    - assign/unassign an actor to a character
    - filters & operators for the search
    - gore memo
    - Lists feature for movies (Top 250 etc)
    - enhance the replacement feature
    - various old bugs

And the most important news: We will have a TV Series contest right after the upcoming one!

If you want to help us you can: upload title/character shots for movies/characters that don't have one (and even better: add a description). And import your ratings from imdb to make our upcoming feature more accurate!

Thanks guys!
    • CommentAuthorSolhanne
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015
    Great job, kinoute.

The character page is a very good addition, and the assignment of actors/actresses to characters is something I've been missing for a long time.

You have to take a look at the "Show Character"-button. It has rounded edges, and the buttons background color is white, but the background color of the boxes is a dark grey, so there's a problem there.

Solhanne
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    Thanks Solhanne. Remember that is just a very early preview of what the actor/director feature could look like and what we could do with it. The layout is obviously not final at all, it can completely change and of course I won't keep a yellow button like this on a dark background ^^

Any suggestions & ideas are welcome!
    • CommentAuthorSolhanne
    Is there any guidelines regarding the displayed charactershots?

In my opinion it should be a headshot if it's possible, and if not, the closest possible to it.

Regarding layout, I'll keep out of that discussion. That's not not my strong suite.

Solhanne.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Great to see you back and up kinoute.

Actor/director pages if a very good idea, but needs a lot of work...

Remember that imdb started just like this. So, the first actor pages on WTM are Scarlett and Leonardo :)
    Look at the first imdb pages:
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000001/ : Fred Astaire,
    2: Lauren Bacall
    then B.Bardot, J.Belushi, Ingmar Bergman, Ingrid Bergman, H.Bogart, M.Brando, R.Burton (?!) and J.Cagney.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015 edited
    @efji the first actors are not Scarlett and Leonardo here, play a little with the URIs and maybe you will have surprise with bardot & cie ^^

edit: so just to clarify, every person we have on WTM as actor in at least one movie already has its own page. But just like you said there is a lot of work before releasing it and connecting this to the rest of the website!
    • CommentAuthorSolhanne
    I have absolutely no problem with Scarlett being the first actress :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    No problem with Scarlett and Leonardo either.
    You could have chosen Jenifer Aniston and Tom Cruise :)
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    You want to know the first ever person imported on WTM? You're gonna be disappointed... It's Gary Cole : http://whatthemovie.com/actor/gary_cole

and for efji if he didn't get my message:

http://whatthemovie.com/actor/lauren_bacall
    http://whatthemovie.com/actor/brigitte_bardot
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015
    Gary Cole! I did not even know him. Kind of John Doe. Good choice indeed :)

The actor page idea is great. For the moment only character shots are displayed. Do you thing it could be possible to add shots from the FF section too? Not automaticaly of course, but added by players.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    You mean the "Assign existing snapshot" button? http://whatthemovie.com/movie/the_avengers+2012/character/137908
    Or something else? Archive shots that get assigned to a character should also show up on kinoute's page..

Solhanne: I don't think we ever wrote specific guidelines as to what should be on a character shot, but we always keep in mind that the character should be clearly visible (and recognizable!) in the shot, and no other character should.

Also, because of these new pages: when adding character shots pay attention to the actor as well! For example, for a movie that is set in two different times (with for examples a characters youth and a characters adulthood), you sometimes will need to split up a person into two different characters, because there are two different actors playing the person.
    If you see a character that has the wrong actor attached to it (so I don't mean NO actor at all!), or something else that is weird with a character, leave one of us a shout and it will get fixed. There still are many characters that have no attached actor, but we know where these are and they will be fixed in time, don't worry about this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Yes exactly. I didn't know the "assign" button.

Good remark about different actors playing the same character. For example http://whatthemovie.com/shot/138708 and http://whatthemovie.com/shot/172801 are the same character played by two very different actresses.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Excelent example! That is indeed the kind of stuff we should pay attention to when assigning shots to characters.

Just a fun one I just put together, that you might appreciate. Most of these shots would normally not count as character shots, but I figured that in the case of this guy we could make an exception for his cameo's: http://whatthemovie.com/actor/alfred_hitchcock/characters
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Great !
    5 of them are still missing ?? I was sure everybody were already there.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    More, cause some have two shots and only one is present. However, I might have missed some.

A small overview of the missing Hitchcock cameo's, and then back to the normal topic. If somebody has one of these discs, it would be nice if you could check for the shot!
    - The Wrong Man: At 0:00:18. Seen in silhouette narrating the film's prologue.
    - Lux Video Theatre, this is a series and the shot is in episode "To Each His Own (1954)", as Lux Video Theatre Guest.
    - Under Capricorn: one of two shots is still missing, at 2:11. In the town square during new governor's speech, wearing a blue coat and brown hat.
    - Rebecca: at 2:01:36. Walking near the phone booth just after George Sanders makes a call.
    - Suspicion: A second cameo is missing, at 0:04, walking a horse across the screen at the hunt meet.
    - Number Seventeen: at 0:51:25. On the bus amongst other passengers, in a dark coat and hat, facing away, he bounces up and down; approx. four seconds.
    - Easy Virtue: at 0:21:15. Walking past a tennis court carrying a walking stick.

I hope somebody has these!
    • CommentAuthorSolhanne
    @kinoute

Any chance of the possibility of assigning actors/actresses to characters not automatically imported. Right now it only says Unknown Actor.

Solhanne