Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    Is there a possibility to get more point if you answer the snapshot right the first time, for example

get it right in one try 3 points
    get it right in teo tries 2 points
    3 and more tries 1 point
  2.  permalink
    But what points are you talking about ? Bucks ?

You answer the shot or not, whatever the number of tries.

And buck are made for participation, not for ability of solving.

Only first solve get award, and that's fine for me !
    •  
      CommentAuthorZythux
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011
    I think he/she's talking about FF(HoF) points. So if you solve a shot on your first try you'll get more points.
    If this is what you mean, I personally don't like the idea. I think it doesn't matter if you need 1, 3 or 5 guesses to solve the shot. I like to type titles without thinking and eventually finding the right one :D
    Not even talking about the possibilities to cheat...
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    There will be a HoF just for first solves soon
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Great kinoute !
    What about an old idea I proposed months ago: a composite HoF mixing everything with a coefficient for each of the following items :

Total number of solves
    Monthly solves
    Number of uploads
    Ratings of the uploaded shots
    Number of favourited shots
    Number of bucks
    Number of first solves

What else ?
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011 edited
    i'm thought about these HoF :

- Top Bucks (pratically done)
    - Top First Solver (pratically done)
    - Top FF Solver All Time
    - Top Uploader of the last 30 days
    - Top Contest Solver
    - Top Contributors (Sum of Character/title shot + trailers + abstracts + added movies + replaced shots)

I can't make a HoF for such thing as favourited shots or ratings, you know this community, there is already a problem with low ratings so if i create a HoF for that, it's gonna be problematic and people will lower their votes, delete their favs more and more
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Sounds good but I thought about a single ranking mixing all of the criterions. Some kind of decathlon of WTM.
    For example a rating like :

Total solves + monthly solves*20 + uploads*100 + monthly uploads*1000 + First solves*100 + bucks + contributions*100

(coefficients are just indications to keep an equilibrium between all the parts of the notation)
    • CommentAuthorthaizy
    it would be nice a ranking for sotd
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011 edited
    Same thing for the sotd, there are already people who change their votes just before the sotd is taken everyday so i can't imagine a HoF for SOTD seriously. But we definitely think about something like Snapshot of the month/year, we will take every SOTD, make a new vote like a contest to design the snapshot of the month, then at the end of the year, we take the 12 snapshots of the month and we make a vote and we show the snapshot of the year on the first page for example i dunno.

efji: too complicated, even if there are some coeffs, it will be too difficult to find a perfect formula to don't advantage a kind of people. For example titinho2000 was already in the top 10 after only one month on the website, it would not be possible with this HoF. The actual HOF is fair because every person who signs up can be in quickly. WTM is a quiz game after all so solves are the most important things

Maybe one day i could think about a HoF like that but that will definitely not be the MAIN HoF, i prefer different HoF for now. The only "shots" HoF i could make its the Top Contest Shots because we can't change their votes and people can't cheat by lowering votes
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011
    @kinoute
    I agree with that. The main HoF must remain the solves/month. But it could be an additionnal one. Of course the coeffs should be chosen carefully. An impartial way to do it could be to pick one day the best performer in each category and take 1/(his note) as a coefficient. For example to get a fair mix of solves/month and uploads you could use the formula :

solves/1779 + uploads/999

1779 and 999 being now the respective scores of titinho2000 (do you think he is 11 years old?) and fungus (do you schedule some kind of celebration for his 1000th upload?).

By the way it is definitely very very hard to go up in the upload ranking :(
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    I left high school 6 years ago and never done maths again, now i'm totally lost with your ideas! Well, for fungus there is a memorabilia for the 1000th upload, after that, there is nothing actually. I really dunno about the actual HoF top uploads, i mean i'm kind of embarassed because i want to add a lot of new HoF as i said before but there is a problem with the top uploader thing. The actual top solver is monthly and the top uploader is all time, so if i add a top solver all time and a top uploader of the last month, i don't know how i will manage all the HoF to show up, well-organized you know. That's my big problem actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfungus
    First, thank's @kinoute for the great work you've already done in this short time and second, I'm of course already excited to get the suitcase for my 1000th upload. I wonder what will be in it.

But what I want to discuss is your idead of Snapshot of the month/year. I find this a great idea and valuable addition of SotD. However, I wouldn't select the SotM/SotY only out of all the SotDs. That's because of two reasons:

1) The snapshots get SotD only because of votes and favs of people who are voting in New Submissions. All the votes and favs of people only active in FF are not taken into account. However, I think this should be the case for a SotM/SotY. Especially favs are changing a lot if a shot makes it to FF.

2) There are days with several awesome shots and there are other days with rather slim pickings. If the selection is restricted to only SotD, there are a lot of great shots neglected which still are better rated than many SotD.

I would rather suggest to determine SotM/SotY on the base of all FF snapshots. Probably you can still use the formula you already got for SotD, even if there are some shifts in average rating over time. At some times you needed a rating of over 8.2 to get through to FF at other times a rating of 7.6 was already sufficient.
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    yea, but you have to take in account that people usually only vote high on AUs because the other user has spent some money on his shot...at least I do it very often like that. I see an AU and think, ok this guy has spent 1€ for his shot and supported the site...let's give him a 10/10 even I very often don't like that shot so much and would never have voted 10/10 if it would have been a normal shot in NS. So if you also put AUs into the selection of SotM/SotY i think the ratings on AUs will be lowered very much in future by people.

I would do it like that, SOTD -> SOTW -> SOTM -> SOTY
    Every Week there is a poll where people can pick one of the 7 SOTDs to determine the Snapshot of the Week. At the end of the Month out of the 4 SOTW we get the SOTM. And finally at the end of the year out of 12 SOTM we have the ultimate winner for the whole year (SOTY).

But maybe a solution with a poll would be the wrong choice because I can imagine that some users (I won't mention any names) will run then into the forum and would advertise for themselves or others, like "vote for user xy !" and it would be a sympathy contest at the end of the day again and not an objective poll. The user with most friends in here would win most of the times and maybe not the best rated shot.

So maybe the SOTW/SOTM/SOTY should rather be determined by the rating+favs maybe, then I agree with Fungus that the FF ratings should be taken into account too because some users only play there.

However biggest problem on WTM in my opinion is the ability to change the rating, give favs, remove them again and so on...there is always room for manipulation then and people will continue to do it if there aren't extremely strict rules about it. Maybe there should be more bans by the mods in future than it was till now and people will be more scared to do it when they see there is a punishment for it.

Of course a perfect solution without any manipulation in any way is extremely hard to find, I know. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @fireball
    Don't forget it is only a *game*. We don't need more cops. We want to have fun !
    Remember why Pala leaved us...
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    @efji
    Of course it's only a game, I'm only for fun here as well and to have a good time, so don't understand me wrong please. :)

But since we have a discussion already going about how to structure the new Snapshot of the Month / Year thing, I think it's never wrong to collect some ideas and get some input of the community. Even out of bad ideas something good can develop, so it's never wrong to do some brain storming together. Main goal always has to be to improve WTM as a site and we only can achieve that by collecting ideas i think.

Well, another suggestion of me would be to do the SOTW/SOTM/SOTY voting in a poll but with weighed voting possibilities.
    For example if we determine a Snapshot of the Week, we got 7 Sotd's...so every user can vote 7 times and put his points (from 7 to 1 point) on the different shots.

Shot A: 7 points
    Shot B: 4 points
    Shot C: 2 points
    Shot D: 3 points
    Shot E: 6 points
    Shot F: 1 point
    Shot G: 5 points

Every user does that and then we aggregate the results....tadaaaa a new SOTW is born. :)

The 4 SOTW then go for the voting of SOTM and all users would have 4 weighed voting possibilities to determine the SOTM.

Again the voting results of all users are aggregated and the 12 SOTM finally go then for the SOTY final-voting where everyone has 12 weighed voting possibilities to determine the winner of a whole year. :)

At least such a system would be more fair than a poll where every user only can vote a single time i think. :)
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    There are not exactly 4 weeks per month ;)