Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011
    Hey people,

yesterday night an idea came into my mind which I wanted to share with you and hear the opinion of the other players what they think about it.

The Idea is: WTM Tournament Style

That means 1 shot of a user competes against a shot of another user in a big tournament.

The shot which gets the better rating hits the next round.

The structure could look like this:

This would be for 32 players, but also bigger tournaments for 64 or 128 players would be possible.

The users will be picked by a random number generator, so it would be a big surprise who has to compete vs who and always very exciting.

At the end there would be an ultimate winner who wins some special Memoriablia & some Au's for example.

There can be such tournaments for general shots, so everyone would be allowed to upload what he wants. Or Tournaments to special themes, like for example weapons, hair styles, shoes etc.
    So my bazooka competes vs Palahnuiks Shot gun for example, the user are voting and the shot they like more hits the next round.

1 voting round could be like 24 hours, so such a tournament wouldn't take longer than a normal contest, but it would be more exciting & competitive i think.

I think this idea is awesome and could revolutionize WTM in a positive way, it would be something totally new and a lot of fun.

(Of course I don't know if this could be coded, but I still wanted to write this idea down.)

What you guys think or do you have any other ideas how it could be even better?
    • CommentAuthoryippiekayay
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011 edited
    I think there could be some difficulties in setting this up. However, I would definitely compete in such a tournament if one would exist. This could be really exciting.

Props for coming up with this stuff.

Edit: I do think this should be theme related, the FF section shouldn't be devided into two contests (being SotD or even getting in to FF and a Tournament).
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    hey yippiekayay,

thanks for the positive feedback.

Well I thought about this:

- all shots which hit for example the Quarter-Final or let's say Round of last 16, go automaticly into FF (like a little reward for the uploaders, even their shot doesn't win at the end)
    - in the uploading process, all the shots are of course quality controlled by the mods (just like in any other contest)
    - no shots in such a tournament qualify for the "Shot of the day" <- this always has to stay something special for rewarding the normal uploading process through NS in my opinion
    - there wouldn't have to be a big dividing of the FF section, just another section "Tournament" like it is done with "Vault" now...not a big problem in my eyes (or no dividing at all if this is prefered)

However I agree with you, that this thing isn't so easy to set up ...maybe kinoute can give a realistic estimation if a coder with some skills could do it, I guess he knows best. :)
    • CommentAuthorWinterwolf
    A Tournament Style... first thought, nice idea

but...
    1. to vote 32 shots ok, but after this round you have to vote the 16 winner shots again? Why should someone change his voting next round? The shot is the same as before. And i think its boring to vote the same shot several times. At least for the last final round, you have to vote 5 times the same shot (or if 64 or 128 at the Tournament 6/7 times vote the same shot)
    2. what about for the people except the 32 uploader? voting just for fun? or something to win for people who only solve shots on WTM - many players have no shots uploaded. Solving shots is the main part of WTM or?

I think for me it would be not funny to make a Tournament in that way sorry.

But i like the idea. Tournament sounds really interesting. But maybe in a way like this:

Player make duel with other players (in solveing shots). Maybe add to the quiz list a new section. Called Duel Zone. Any time possible. Shots are randomly choosen of Archieve (FF is not good, because you don't can use solution button after the time out). If you solved the shot ealier in the FF, at the duel zone you have to solve it again.

maybe people can choose duel parameters before beginning:
    - easy/medium/hard shots (its already coded for the random button)
    - amount of shots available like 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 shots
    - max. time to solve shots about 4 min. each 10 shots, also 20 minutes if you choose 50 shots

the player who solved more shots win the duel. If both got the same score, the player which solved the shots faster wins. Will be funny to duel your real life friends or your friends here.

Maybe there can be made a serious tournament 1 time each year like the vault contests. As your shot idea, the player fight against another player, the duels are choosen randomly. And at the end there is a winner. The winner of this contest should get an unique memorablia and some AU's. To make it serious, there should be not archieve shots taken. People have to upload shots only for this contest like at the vault contests for this unique yearly tournament.
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2011 edited
    hey winterwolf, thanks a lot for your input.

Yes, those are some really good points you made. About your 1) point I thought myself already a bit. It would be indeed a bit boring to always vote the same shots for several rounds and people wouldn't change their rating maybe. However this could be solved by determining which shots makes it to next round not by rating but just with two extra buttons. Like which shot do you prefer? Do you prefer shot A over shot B, or the other way around?...one click and your vote is counted. Since the two competitive shots change each round, it can happen that one shot you liked quite much in the last round, now has to compete vs an even better shot in the new round...so your vote can change and you want that the other shots makes it to the next round.

Maybe there are other better solutions for this too, which we haven't thought about yet...I'm sure there can be a system which would make the Tournament not boring but exciting for everyone (at least not more boring than how the contest are at the moment i think).

About your point 2) Well people who just want to solve shots and not upload, would still be able to solve the shots in the Tournaments if they want to and there also could be something like a little reward for the best user with the most solves. However my idea of the Tournament is more interesting for the uploaders I think. But the people who only want to solve got enough possibilities anyway here on WTM already in my opinion...they can solve the shots in NS, FF and they even got the normal contests with like 300 shots each time to solve...so if that aren't enough shots to solve then I don't know. :)

Of course solving shots on WTM is the main idea, however you should just see my idea as something like a nice extra Feature, which would be fun for the uploaders who want to compete vs each other.
    Who knows, maybe also more people would get interested in uploading, get the addiction, buy the supporter status and some AU's...such new features can always have some effect and generate some higher attraction to the site.

Your idea, is also nice of course...especially for the users who love to solve shots and compete vs each other. Since I am not into solving so much, it wouldn't be so interesting for me personally to be honest...because I simply suck at solving, so I would be an easy opponent in Duel Zone. :) But I'm sure many people would be interested in your idea too. So props for that idea as well !

Most important i think is that we collect our ideas here, only like this WTM can get better and offer something new in the future...otherwise it always will stay the same and there will be stagnation one day. :)

If our ideas ever will be realized, is another question of course...we got to stay realistic about it, I know that. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    i like both the tournament and duel ideas.
    just imagine a shout from scruffy on your profile that says: "one of your fellows has challenged you to duel. scared?" or "your shot #123456 has reached the final round of the big asses tournament". that would be pretty cool IMO.

but i think in both cases you would need a screen that shows both of the competing shots at the same time so that you can compare them directly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Hi all.
    I think the tournament idea is a good one.
    Technically it should be possible since a young Harvard undergraduate did it 8 years ago in a few nights of coding.
    Yes it was a tournament among the girlie student pictures :)
    • CommentAuthoricemotion
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011
    Personally.. I think a tournament is a bad idea and for one fairly simple reason. It's too limited. A 32 player tournament? We have over thousands of players here on WTM... with only 32 possible participants you leave a lot of people out, even if there are mostly only like.. 150 uploaders for vault quests, but I think everyone should be able to participate at all times. So if you would want to do tournaments and want everybody to participate.. you're going to need to set it up often. Like at least once a week. Which makes it redundant quite fast and then there is nothing special about it.

Not everyone may participate in the Vault quests, but everybody has the chance to. Not everyone is uploading shots or rating shots to get bucks for higher ranks, but everybody is able to do so if they wish. And I think that should always be the key, give everyone a chance to participate at any time.

Imagine wanting to play in a tournament, but always being too late to sign up because it's automatically coded to start at a time when you're always asleep due to time zone. Or if you assign the players randomly who may participate and you don't feel like uploading at all because it is not your thing and then you suddenly HAVE to. Which is not fun either.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011 edited
    icemotion is right about the number of players.

I think Mark Zuckerberg's idea showed in "The social network" could be more fun :

Collect a bunch of shots of any size (on a special topic or not), just like it is done for an usual contest.
    Then, instead of having 300+ shots to go through sequentially, add a "tournament" option which displays
    randomly chosen pairs of shots (side by side) and you only vote "yes" or "no". At the end, provided that
    all the shots have been displayed a sufficient number of times, almost the same for each shot, le winner is
    the one having the largest number of "yes".
    • CommentAuthorbazzy3000
    could be fun, but impossible to realise without a coder
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Anybody knows Mark Zuckerberg personally ?
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2011 edited
    Thanks for your feedback so far guys. It's always nice to hear what other people think about it.

Yes, it is impossible to realize without a coder...at the moment. However I'm sure WTM will search for a new coder too in future...they searched before kinoute and will search after kinoute as well. (at least I hope so)

How fast there will be a new coder is another question of course... :)

@icemotion

The 32 players were just an example to visualise how the structure could be, the tournament wouldn't have to be limited necessarily to just 32 players. I also wrote that it can be a tournament with 64 or 128 players. And if we are honest to ourselves, WTM maybe has thousands of registered members yes,...but only around 200-300 hardcore players who are really contributing and are very active. At least I always see the same faces here every day and not thousands of different people. :) If we see how many people upload in the theme related vault contest it barely is more than 100 people too usually. So this tournament in my idea would be a reward for the active players who are putting their dedication into this site every day.
    So if the tournament would be for 128 players and a time span of 1 week to upload (like in every other contest)...I think this would be enough time for everyone to participate who likes to.
    And I also don't think anyone would be really angry if he doesn't get a seat in the tournament one time.
    If I would be the 129th player and miss this tournament, I would say to myself bad luck, better luck next time... there is another tournament coming soon.
    Most important would be that the majority of the community has fun with it in my eyes.

About your point with time zones...this could be easily solved by making one tournament for the European time zone and in next month the tournament is for the South American time zone (since we have many Brasilian Players in here). So it would be fair for everyone too, when the times always change a bit and are friendly for the different time zones.

However the current contests also start always at 8 pm Middle European Time and noone ever complained about that yet. (because there is 1 week time to upload, which could be done in the Tournament the same way)

So in my opinion none of your points is a K.O. criterium why such a Tournament shouldn't be started.

@efji
    I think you are one of few who understood what potential this idea has...the question is just in what system it is executed. :)

I know what you mean with your idea, however I personally don't like it so much.
    The fact that in your idea every shot competes vs every shot, is not what I have thought about. In my idea of a tournament I want to have a certain "luck factor" as well. You can compare it with the Football World Cup for example, the team who gets drawn a very easy group in the beginning is lucky...same it would be in my Tournament if you don't catch Destroyer in the first Round of the Tournament. I just want this luck factor that Users always would be excited which opponent do they get in 1st Round? Which opponent will I get in the next round? People would run to the other users profile and talk about it: "hey, we have to compete in the Tournament vs each other!" and so on. Even an average shot can make it far like that by catching easy opponents in the first rounds. I just would like a little luck factor in it and a surprise factor who will have to compete vs who, so that the excitement is bigger. :)
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    Another Idea could be to make a Group Phase in the First Round.

For example:

8 groups with 10 people each (and their 10 shots) = 80 shots all in all

Every user would have 4 picks out of the 10 shots in each group.

From the 10 shots in each Group the TOP 4 make it to the Final Round.

So 4 x 8 = 32 shots which go to the Final K.O. Phase, which is displayed in my first post. :)

And then of course it is 1 shot vs 1 shot till the Finals.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And another idea which I really really like too is this:

Why not take the last 32 SOTD's and they compete in such a tournament against each other.

Everytime you make a Sotd, Scruffy comes to your Profile and says something like: "You achieved a Sotd, now you get this golden entrance ticket from me for the next Tournament".

So always after 32 Sotds are determined, such a Tournament starts automaticaly...no uploading, no worrying about limitation of people but the last 32 Sotds battle it out in such a Tournament to determine the Ultimate Winner of the last 32 Sotd's. The lucky Winner wins some special Tournament Memoriablia and some AU's + the fame of the community. :))

Only negative point I can see about this is that people would cheat even more to get this golden entrance ticket that they can get a seat in such a tournament.
    But I always believe in the fairness of the players in here... :)
  1.  permalink
    Good idea. I like!