Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorEllergy
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011
    Can't we have a snapshot of the year competition? Put all the snaphots of the day into the vault and let everyone vote. The winner can get some sort of fancy memorabilia. There can even be a semi-final and final round.
    • CommentAuthorbius
    Great idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCHILI
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011 edited
    how about putting 30 SotD's into a 'snapshot of the month' competition every month?
    and those 12 winners could compete for 'snapshot of the year'.
    • CommentAuthorbetobeto
    great idea indeed.
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    Snapshot of the Month / Year will have to come sooner or later there's no doubt about it, since it was suggested so often already (also by myself).
    If it would be simply placed into the vault there also would be no coder needed i think (which is lacking at the moment for bigger improvements to the site). I think quite the whole community would stand behind this idea.
    But honestly I don't think it will be realized in 2011, since 3/4 of the year is almost over...maybe it would be nice to use the time till 2012 to think about everything and then start brand new, beginning in January 2012.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    Most of the staff is at the moment still on vacation/break etc., but in the first meeting when everybody is back, we will certainly discuss this.
    • CommentAuthorPzy
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011
    Would be nice indeed but I guess it would increase the unfair votes etc.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2011
    personally, i don't like the idea of making a big vault with 365 sotds, instead we should start with a snapshot of the month, then we will have only 12 shots and we will have to decide who made the best shot. 365 shots in a vault its just boring and too much and we will have to delete all votes before starting the vault, so its definitely not a good idea.

but that needs time to make a new part of the website dedicated to this...
    • CommentAuthorEllergy
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2011
    Snapshot of the month makes more sense...
    • CommentAuthorrohieb
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011 edited
    Why need a vault? People have voted on all of the SotDs so far, so we just need to rank the 27/28/30/31 SotD shots of a month, and we have a SotM. Likewise, the best rated SotM would be SotY. And this way it is even possible to compute the SotMs and SotYs for previous months and years ;-)

I personally dislike the idea to vote more than once for a shot. First, I would vote the same on a shot anyway, so more than one vote is redundant. Second, if I wanted to change my rating, why not change it on the original shot in the first place?
  1.  permalink
    Isn't there a snapshot of the day that has the highest score and most favourites yet?
    No need to vote again is there, it has already won. If it still has the highest score at the end of the year, you could consider giving this person a memorabilia, same goes for snapshot of the month.
    To watch and vote for all the snapshots of the day again seems unnecessary.
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011 edited
    My opinion:

1) A Snapshot of the Day which won the prize in the beginning of the year (let's say january) would have a lot more time to collect favs than a Sotd of December. Especially of more well-known movies people often go into the archieves and put such shots as their favs, even the shot was uploaded many months ago. So the point of time all the ratings are taken from every Sotd would have to be the same, e.g. end of the day when the Sotd is crowned. If such ratings from the past months and years can be looked up now, all from their equal point of time... I don't know...but I actually doubt it.

2) Not every user votes every day all shots, since it's usually only 1 day time to vote. I sometimes find myself that there is a Sotd and when I look at it I notice I haven't even vote yet on it. If there would be 1 or 2 weeks time to vote in the vault for the Snapshot of the Month, more people would vote for sure, thus making the result more objective I think.

3) Many people go very fast through the NS, I know from myself and other users that we do not spend more than a few seconds per shot to vote in the NS. We just click what we feel for this shot in maybe 1-2 seconds and move on to the next shot. Many users vote like that just to get their Wtm bucks in the NS. So it also happened to myself a few times already that I saw a Sotd and thought, what? Why you only gave it a 7/10 in the NS, when I look closer now it's actually a really nice shot and should deserve a higher rating. So I'm sure it can happen that users change their votes when they have a closer look again on all the candidates and compare them in the vault, leave themselves more time to vote than in the NS and decide who is their personal Snapshot of the Month.

4) Putting 30 Shots together in a vault and leave 1 or 2 weeks time to vote and compare them would be enough time and not really a lot work to vote a 2nd time. Of course those who would hate to vote a 2nd time no matter what, they would not have to do it, since it would be still voluntary.

So as you can see, I'm personally definitely pro the idea to do a 2nd vote, doesn't matter if it's done in the vault or in some new special SotM/SotY part of the site.
    • CommentAuthorAsmodai
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011
    And next to this, there is also the thing that votes fluctuate majorly within a given time period. Where at one time 8,2 is a high rating, a month later it can be the minimum rating required to get into FF and 8,7 is considered high. Because of this, you cannot evaluate ratings fairly.
    • CommentAuthorTor
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011
    Why not make the voting like in a tournament where you just choose which of the 2 snaps in a round is better and then that one goes through to the next round, no need to vote from 1 to 10 when just a click is better and easier.
    • CommentAuthorpioa
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011 edited
    I don't like tournaments and i explain why.
    Assume that we choose the highest guy.
    4 competitors:
    guy A :1,6 m
    guy B: 1,7 m
    guy C: 1,8 m
    guy D: 1,9 m

First round:
    pair 1: A vs B -> B wins
    pair 2: C vs D -> D wins

Second round:
    B vs D -> D wins, B takes second place
    A vs C -> C wins in battle (third place), A takes fourth place

So in our turnament:
    First place: guy D with 1,9 m
    Second place: guy B with 1,7 m
    Third place: guy C with 1,8 m
    Fourth place: guy A with 1,6 m

Well ...
    • CommentAuthorTor
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2011
    Yeah but there wouldn't be a group stage :), it could be like @Tommy_Leazaq topic "Best movie of AFI Top 100 (2007)"
    • CommentAuthorKajBorg
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011
    first put in anonymous uploading...
    • CommentAuthorPzy
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011
    What KajBorg said and invisible vote numbers. Otherwise it's like I said.