Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012 edited
    To discover the main new features, please read the full announcement on the website : http://whatthemovie.com/news/7

****INFORMATION***

- Internet Explorer 7 is no longer supported. Please upgrade *at least* to IE8
    - Transition effects don't work correctly on IE8 & Opera
    - The Gallery of Best Shots is not working on Opera at the moment. It will be fixed but it's not in my priorities (only 2% of Opera users)
    - The display order and the descriptions of the memos might change a little bit in the next days
    - if you find a huge bug, please use the Feedback Form to tell us : http://whatthemovie.com/feedback

****FULL CHANGELOG***

- Added: News Section to replace the old blog
    - Added: News Shout Support
    - Added: E-mail validation step
    - Added: Poll Feature on the home page
    - Added: Gallery of Best Shots on Profile
    - Added: Snapshot of the Month / Snapshot of the Year
    - Added: Two new banners for SotY/SotM
    - Added: SotD/M/Y Banners in the movies snapshots tab
    - Added: Arrow Keys Navigation on every Shot page
    - Added: SotDs Overview with arrow keys nav
    - Added: Mini SotD/M/Y banners everywhere (overview, thumbnails)
    - Added: Number of SotDs of a user in his Profile (quiz stats)
    - Added: SotDs tab in the uploads tab on Profile
    - Added: "Solution is available/x days left" on Bookmarks page
    - Added: 24 new memorabilia for uploads, solves, first solves, sotds, awards...
    - Added: Arrow Keys nav on movie/series snapshots tab
    - Added: Warning when registering about the validation step or when changing his email address in the settings
    - Added: Old SotDs feature (before December 31th, 2009)
    - Added: White/Red/Green lines on recent submissions/feature films/awesome overview
    - Added: Solving ban (with dead horse head memo)

- Improvement: You can't fav anymore your own shots (too much abuse with the SotD feature)
    - Improvement: All accents are now handled when adding a movie to the db
    - Improvement: Faster upload for character & title shots
    - Improvement: Compressed cs/jss files
    - Improvement: A crap/rock banned user can't delete anymore alternative titles/tags/genres
    - Improvement: New Memorabilia page with categories
    - Improvement: New User search page
    - Improvement: Supporter Stats are back and less laggy
    - Improvement: A deleted user can't post anymore on the forum
    - Improvement: If a user has been voting banned once, he can't see anymore the name of the poster in the NS section
    - Improvement: New bookmarks page design
    - Improvement: The calendar shows first the day of the shot
    - Improvement: Two more rules about English & GI/Tineye in the ToS
    - Improvement: New limitation for uploads: a user has to wait two weeks (instead of one) to upload a new shot from the SAME movie
    - Improvement: If you have the gore & nudity filters activated and the shot contains gore or nudity, your vote won't count anymore
    - Improvement: When logged out, the home page game won't show anymore the warnings about nudity & gore
    - Improvement: New 404,500,503 errors page
    - Improvement: The White Frame will disappear after a few seconds if you have already solved the snapshot/posted the snapshot/requested the solution

- Fix: A deleted user is automatically logged out
    - Fix: Can't list all movies in the upload page anymore
    - Fix: The API can't erase anymore TV Series creators or update Directors name if there is already one
    - Fix: Error 500 when making a search with weird accents
    - Fix: Being logged out after some weird searches on Internet Explorer
    - Fix: Error 500 when writing some weird accents in the real name or bio
    - Fix: The Text Box is now emptied after entering an Alternative Title
    - Fix: The list of favers on shot was not displayed everytime
    - Fix: Invisible contests showing up on the home page
    - Fix: Trying to replace a replaced shot
    - Fix: delete the subscription of the replacer when the shot is restored
    - Fix: having a lot of errors browsing the archive ("you can't see this snapshot")
    - Fix: Alignment of the white frame & the SotD banner
    - Fix: Scroll to the top when you click on a thumbnail in the movie/series snapshots tab
    - Fix: a lot of HTML Entities & Typo

and others things i forgot...
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012
    done
    •  
      CommentAuthorZo0
    wow! great great great..... job kinoute! :)
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012 edited
    kinoute ftw! :)

edit: i got some further ideas for improvement should i use this http://forum.whatthemovie.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=727&page=1#Item_22 thread or open a new general one where we can express ourselves? :)
    • CommentAuthorSolhanne
    Great job, kinoute!

Great new features and memorabilia.

But it seems my supporter stats are still stuck in april. Maybe it'll take a day or two to load the new updated stats.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    yes thats normal don't worry, the new supporter stats will be generated soon
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    Known issues:

- The Gallery of Best shots seems to take only recent uploads in consideration
    - Some shots seem to have no poster, its a cache problem and will be fixed quickly
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    "There are also three new awards memorabilia which I'm going to explain quickly: we have the "Minion" memo from Despicable Me for the best contributors of the community. You will get it if you upload more than 200 character shots, title shots or replacement shots."
    the 200 means character shots + title shots + replacements shots or 200 for each of it? :)

"For classic lovers and animation addicts, we designed two memorabilia : the knife from 12 Angry Men and the house from Up. You will get these memorabilia if you upload more than 100 black & white shots ("b/w" tag) or animation shots ("animation" tag). "
    a counter for that at the user page would be nice :D

edit:
    what about a memo for a new unsolved archive shot? or 100/200/etc rejects? (maybe also a general stat (or a number ;D) about how many shots got rejected even the deleted ones)
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    that means 200 characters shots OR 200 titles shots etc.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    - Fix: The Gallery order for normal uploads
    - Fix: The poster name which doesn't show up everytime (shots need some solves to refresh the cache and fix the prob)
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    maintenance
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    well i guess i have to use the alternative solution for supporter stats :@
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    the website will be laggy for a couple of days, i have to run some background tasks, nothing serious
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I follow the discussion started on http://whatthemovie.com/news/7

@kinoute said:
    1) I sorted the bookmarked shots like that to see quickly on what shots you can ask the solution which is the main reason why you bookmark a shot

Well I have about 1600 bookmarked shots, and of course the interesting ones are at the end of the list :)
    I agree with your assertion but the shots of which you want to know the solution are precisely the (almost) last ones.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    i'll think about a function to choose the order (oldest to newest or newest to oldest)
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    thanks
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    the new way to upload chara shots is just amazing! i'm honest: before the update i was just to lazy to do them but the new way is much less time consuming, great improvement!

edit: @kinoute you mentioned that the disappearing of the "you already solved the snapshot"-banner was wished, could it maybe been made as an option?
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    First of all really great work kinoute!
    It's nice to see so many old ideas & wishes of the community finally to be implemented.

Now while trying the new arrow key feature something just caught my attention which could be maybe regarded as a bug.
    If you are typing a title into the little box to solve a movie and have the arrow key feature activated but you have misspelled the title and you are trying then to go with the arrow key to the misspelled letter to fix it, the arrow key feature leads you to the next shot immediately, which can be a bit annoying.

So in my opinion when you are typing a text into the solving box the arrow key feature shouldnt be activated because you might use the arrow keys to go to a wrong letter to fix a misspelled title.

It's just a minor thing, of course you can use your mouse for that as well...but I still wanted to mention it.
    • CommentAuthorSolhanne
    I have a similar suggestion.

When you type in a guess, and it's confirmed as wrong, and i have a new guess, I usually mark the previous gues with Ctrl+Shift+Arrow left, but that's impossible now, since the left arrow takes me to the previous snapshot.

Could it be fixed so that left arrow only takes you to the previous snapshot, when pressed alone.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    @stuken: if people are still complaining about it, i'll make it as optional yes or increase the delay (10 secs instead of 5 for example)

@Fireball: this is not really a bug, i mean that the way the feature is and that's why i disabled it by default. I really made it for hardcore players, and i can say that all of them have the autofocus activated so if i remove the arrow keys nav from this part, this means they will have to use another key before using the feature (to lose the focus on the textbox). If you want to correct a guess well just use the backspace key or ctrl+A + backspace. The only change i can think about right now would be an option to empty automatically the textbox after entering a guess.
    Edit: And don't forget that we allow some mistakes when you write titles

@Solhanne: i think (indeed) that i might be able to avoid this, but i'm really not sure. I'll try.
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012
    i'm also fighting with the arrow key feature :D if its for hardcore gamer you may use 1-0 to rate the snapshot so there is no need for the mouse at all ^^ just an idea...
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited
    After a few hours of disappearing "you already solved..." banners, I finally find it quite annoying: if you use a multitab browser (hardcore players do!) and load the FF page in the background while doing something else, when you come back you don't know whether you already solved the shot when it was in NS or not. You have to remember it, but your brain is still thinking about the NS shot on the other tab.

My suggestion: turn on the little light bulb (white instead of grey) once a shot is solved. Which is exactly coherent with its behaviour since it gives you the answer when you press it.
    • CommentAuthordoooom
    Great work kinoute.

As a regular uploader of character shots I really appreciate the improvements in this section. It makes the uploading of character shots a lot faster and easier. I still have one suggestion though. I often have multiple tabs open to upload shots for a bunch of characters from one movie. Sometimes this gets a bit confusing and I'm not sure if I'm uploading the right shot for the right character because I can't see during the uploading process for which exact character I'm about to upload a snapshot. Right now the description at the top during uploading reads something like: "Upload a Character Shot for Star Wars". Imo it would be better if it says: "Upload a Character Shot for Luke Skywalker from Star Wars".

I also appreciate the new restrictions that prohibit uploaders from posting two snaps from the same movie within the space of a week. Hopefully that will bring a bit more variety into some users uploads.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2012 edited
    @doooom this is indeed a great suggestion, i didn't think of that. I'll add it in the next update

@Stuken hard to implement something like that but nothing is impossible, i'll try.. later.

ok so as i'm willing to make everybody happy, here is what i suggest for the white frame:

just a reminder before: this *improvement* is only activated when you go to a shot you have already solved/posted/requested the solution. It does not affect the white frame if you go to an unsolved shot and you solve it : the white frame won't disappear. Same if you request the solution.

here is all my propositions :

- back to normal (keep the white frame forever which is quite sad because it takes place on the shot for nothing)
    - make this improvement as optional
    - increase the delay to 10 secs before hiding the frame
    - delete completely the white frame and show a different textbox when you have already solved/posted/requested the solution/shot. (like the green/red feature when guessing)
    - A mix like : keep the white frame, hide it after five secs, show white borders + white picture in the textbox. If you use multitabs and the white frame is already gone, then you will see that you have already solved/posted/requested the shot/solution with the textbox design.

You can see how it looks like in action here (first the white frame is completely deleted, second the white frame disappears and we add something on the textbox):

thought?

edit: maybe just add the white borders/picture directly instead of waiting that the white frame disappears

WTM Supporters:

- I'm working on the supporter stats, this is my top priority atm. I tried something different with the udpate, the SS were refreshed as you can notice but the website went OC for 3 hours so that's not good enough. I'm working on an alternative solution but its taking time because the database is huuuge. I'm gonna wait a couple of days before trying my new solution. Why? because when i launched the task, i can't abort it, so if it's still wrong, the website will go OC again and i don't want that especially right after the update.

I need your suggestions/advices/ideas for the Gallery on Profile:

- Include Awesome Uploads or not? If yes, how many votes needed? 10 (like now)? 20? Only add Awesome Uploads if the user does not have enough shots to complete the Gallery (10 shots)?
    - Contests Shots?
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    About the Gallery:

I personally wouldnt mix sotds with awesome uploads and contest uploads.
    Awesome Uploads cant be regarded as best rated normal shots in my opinion (which have to go through the NS process).

Why not make a special code like the #3333, for Awesome Uploads and one for Contest Uploads?

If a user doesnt have enough shots to fill his gallery...well maybe that can be a motivation for him to upload more in future? :)

Most awesome it would be of course if a user could structure his Gallery completely individual.
    Something like a drag and drop menu should pop up where you can put any shots you want into your Gallery and mix them in the way you want. :)

To give you a feedback about the white frame:

I like the idea you have proposed in your video. White frame completely deleted and a different textbox appears (white for your own shot & green for solved)

But it is really a matter of taste, so I think it would be best if different possibilities would be optional.
    •  
      CommentAuthormikebozzio
    I donĀ“t understand anything about programing, but what about the white frame only show up when you pass the mouse over the shot?
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    @mikebozzio
    Because this feature is intended to work even for geeks that do not want to touch the mouse :)
    Keyboard only with the new arrow feature !
    @kinoute all the propositions are good for me, as soon as I can see in a glimpse whether the shot is solved or not.
  1.  permalink
    Great job kinoute, I hadn't played for like 2 months and thought about never playing again but when i saw the hard work you put in there : I came back :)
    • CommentAuthoralex68
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012 edited
    The White Frame: personally, I'd like to see just white borders in the textbox (eventually, also the white banner but it should disappear after x seconds).

Gallery on Profile: option 3333 regular shots (no AU or contest snaps), or better another option to enter 10 shots # at will. Also: wider AR shots should be in the middle of the gallery space (exactly as in the WTM "game screen"), and NOT on top, if possible. Thanks.

Characters Uploads: what doooom said + editing actor's name when adding new characters.

BTW, about the "House of Up" memorabilia for 100+ animation uploads: in the db there are almost 1000 shots also tagged "animated", I don't know if this was also taken in consideration.... I usually take care of some of these situations (similar/duplicate tags merging into the most frequently used ones), but this one is too much work (even though I did the same for the b/w and b&w situation, with the invisible help of someone else), lol :)

Thanks again for the magnificent work! :)

P.S.: Oh, and for WTM 3.0 I want to see tagged shots ordered by rating + lists of "untagged" shots, unsolved shots, movies with no characters shots, title/end, trailers, genres, alternative titles, etc. + automatically add a dvd to your collection when uploading a shot from a film + why not, an original poster for each film :)
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    @alex68 for the Gallery, if the shots are not vertically aligned, that means 1) you use IE7 or Opera. As i said here in my first post: IE7 is no longer supported so please upgrade to IE8 at least. For Opera, the Gallery doesn't work at the moment but this can be fixed. It's just not in my priorities because there are only a few Opera users around here.

I'll add the animated tag for the Up House. (that was me who deleted the others b&w tags btw)

I'm gonna try something like that in the next update:

- Awesome Uploads in the Gallery but only with 20 votes or more (instead of 10)
    - The White Frame still disappears after a few seconds but you can see a different textbox: white borders (with a little white picture inside) if you have posted the shot or requested the solution; green if you have already solved the snapshot. Just a transition. Maybe in the future, if people understand that (i mean the new textbox thing), we could get rid of the white frame completely for these 3 situations.

And thanks for your suggestions about WTM 3.0, some are already on their way (new covers/posters for new movies).
  2.  permalink
    Great job on new features!

For the rest, I agree on changing the white frame a bit (like the last idea with coloured textbox), implementing doooom's idea about character shot names and I'm a big fan of no mouse idea; doing it all with keyboard (rating,solving and browsing).
    Love the suggestions from alex68 for WTM 3.0 and would also like to see multiple tag search

Keep up the good work!
    • CommentAuthoralex68
    Gallery: very proud Opera user, here! :) Ok,I asked because it looked a bit strange... I forget there are other browsers out there, lol (oh, and it seems I did not carefully read your info/changelog, sorry!) AU with 20+ votes is a good change, but I still hope, in the future, we'll be able to add 10 shots of our own choice (more personal).

B/w tag mission: finally I know the mysterious user who helped me in that herculean task... Thanks! :)

Different textbox: good for me.

Suggestions for WTM 3.0: very good news! It seems you're an excellent mindreader because you're already a step ahead... :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTao
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    Awesome stuff.

I noticed that shots turn black when I pop up an app launcher on my computer, or when I open the Page Info in Firefox, and there is no shot image url to be found anywhere
    Final blow against Google Image cheating?
    I use shots for douchy blogging purposes, so it bugs me a little, but great coding work dude.
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    great work! you should get some special coding memo kinoute ;D

came here to tell something like Tao, when wtm is open in firefox and i open my explorer (for example windowskey+e) the current snap just turns black when firefox switches to the background. sotd banner stays Oo (edit: it also happens when just firefox is open and i click in the adressbar oO)

concerning the white frame: i like efji's idea with the glowing bulb, i mean the button is already there and how you said the white frame is dispensable

very nice to hear suggestions and plannings for wtm 3.0 :) i personally would be glad to get the randomshot function improved, for example with more filter options like minimum and maximum of solves or rating so you can create your own (easy/medium/hard) difficultyrange, further a checkbox for just showing shots of fellows and most important for me less redundance while a session (i mean it like when you saw a shot then it will not appear by the randombutton for the next half hour or something like that), i really like the feature but if you use it for easy shots and you are not able to solve 10 of the shown shots they permanently appear (i didn't count yet but i really often got that feeling) even if there are certain other shots (which i miss when not clicking through the ff separately)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTao
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2012
    I thought about sort of a individual movie game feature - shots from the archive from one random movie, how many till you guess it.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012 edited
    - added an option on the bookmarks page to change the sort of the shots
    - added the name of the character when uploading a character shot
    - Awesome Uploads appear on the Gallery only if they have at least 20 votes (instead of 10 before)
    - deleted the white frame when you go to a shot you already solved. instead, the little green picture will be shown in the textbox
    - deleted the white frame when you go to a shot you posted. Instead, you will see a little white picture in the textbox
    - (i kept the white frame for the "you requested the solution" situation because i didn't find any good thing about colors or emplacements for that matter. If you have some suggestions)
    - testing a new stuff for the supporter stats, we will see, sorry if the website goes OC
    - fixed some js errors with the memos
    - fixed the shouts icon which doesn't show up except when there were fav on the shot
    - fixed the vertical alignment of the shots on Opera for the Gallery
    - fixed the list of favers alignment in IE8/9
    - optimized the website (js/css files, cache, gzip etc), the website should be faster if you're a regular player (= you browse a lot WTM so you cache a lot of files)
    - various bullshits

if you encounter a problem, please empty your cache before reporting it, i made some deep changes in the js/css files and maybe there are some conflicts
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2012
    i like the tick as solution for the white frame :)
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    - fixed the early upload issue
    - fixed the early bookmarks issue
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Thanks kinoute.
    Great job
    • CommentAuthoralex68
    Opera users gratefully bow to the Master :) Thanks a lot for taking care of us, a small minority!

BTW, excellent choice for posted/solved shot (a little green/white picture in the textbox), I like it. And about the "you requested the solution" situation: maybe, a yellow light bulb or a yellow sign like "?", "!", "x", "*" or "-" might work... or you have already tried?
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    i haven't tried these signs, i don't have a clue about what i should make for the requested solutions (same color or not etc). I checked: in the overview, if you requested a solution, there is no bar under the thumbnail, that's not helping!

i don't want to change the show solution button if we have already requested the solution, it would be too confusing. I think the textbox is the right emplacement but i don't know what to do, if i should keep the same color as the solved shots and choose another sign, or use another color etc..

/discuss
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    imho it is not so important to remember if you have already requested the solution. If you don't remember, just ask for it again. An additional sign could be confusing.
    • CommentAuthoralex68
    Sorry, I meant: a yellow sign like "?" (you asked), "!" (you know it now!), "x" (no more solvable), "*" (note: I told you) "-" (end of game for this shot) IN THE TEXTBOX... Obviously, the show solution button is OK, but maybe 1) turn it yellow to show you already asked for the solution, or 2) add a yellow (or broken) light bulb in the textbox :)
    • CommentAuthorkinoute

?
    gonna try that
    • CommentAuthorstuken
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    looks good! if you use the bulb also here there is a good visual connection and user will remark it easily
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    ok good news: the supporter stats are definitely back, my alternative solution worked pretty well at 4am, no OC whatsoever. But i need to make some changes if we want them back for a long time.

The facts: WTM is making 300k queries in 2h to generate stats for... a single day! If we keep updating the SS everyday, we will be in trouble again in one year approx. So i decided to update the stats every 3 days instead of one. I think it's a good compromise and we can have the SS feature with no lag at all for at least 2 years now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    Good news. I wonder why it is so heavy. There are only 6 numbers to pick per supporter and per day. What could be heavy is the generation of the graphs, but it should be done only on request.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    its not only the supporters, its all the users who have stats. Like that, if they decide to become a wtm supporter, they have directly their stats from the beginning. I think trying to generate the previous stats only when the user becomes supporter will be heavy and not completely possible for some stats (upload/solve rank for example).

The graphs are cached for 12 hours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012 edited
    OK. 6 x 50k players = 300k requests. If it takes 2 hours, it means that your system is able to do 40 requests/s. Pretty slow!
    One way to accelerate could be to filter all the users that have not been seen since more than 3 or 6 monthes and generate stat for them only once a week or even less frequently.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012 edited
    pretty slow? lolz for each stat we have to make queries in others tables witch contain millions of entries. Plus, the website is not laggy at all during the task, that's why its called... background tasks : to let the website available.

Of course we could run at 10k/s, but for 2 hours you won't be able to connect at all.