Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    Of course it depends on how the data are organized. I just made a test on a bunch of separate text files, with a grep and a few sed on each and it took less that 2 minutes for 50000 files on my laptop without slowing the other operations of the computer. But of course managing a database is something else.

Concerning my other proposal, I guess that a great proportion of the 50000 players are out of the HoF (no solve in the last month).It could be a criterion to filter who is worth compiling the stats frequently.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012 edited
    yeah this is indeed a good suggestion, i thought about removing the users who are not active since a long time (like 6 months) from the generate stats feature, i think that will be better. I already removed the deleted users (and their stats, 3M entries).

Anyway, my main concern is not about how long the task is running (because its a background task) but how large the table will be in one year.. That's why i don't want (for now) to update the stats everyday. If i keep the daily update, i'll have another 30 GB unbrowsable table in 10 months...
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    It means that 1 day of stats for one user is about 1.5 kB ?
    Not a very compact storage.
    Coud be reduced to 6 B :) (6 numbers)
    •  
      CommentAuthorFamilyGuy
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012
    Heard about wtm 2.6, came back and after a first look, I must admitt I'm a little bit disappointed (but that's entirely my fault).

I got some points:

- New Submissions... oh, man, I really, really hate this category (not the idea behind but the implementation of it).
    "Don't rate the movie, rate the shot", ... aha. So, here we go, what do you need to rate a shot? An oppurtunity to rate, the shot and... hm... nothing (ok, the ratingsystem requires a guessing box). But, that's all!
    So, why are there so many additional, useless and for the worst, possibly influencing (you can't deny this) informations? I don't get it (ok, I think I do, you had the FF template... I'm familiar with this kind of "lazyness" ;))
    Is it important to know the uploader or the overall rating so far? Improves a first solve, some hearts, a comment or tag the quality of a shot? No, I don't think so. You?
    Please, get rid of the useless infos.

- You removed the possibility to favour own shots to avoid cheating, I think this is a good thing. But, you can still rate your shots. It's basically the same thing.
    And I think the people who abused this to push their shots in the past while everybody could see it, won't stop rating their shots especially when nobody is aware of it.

- I read somewhere that you guys discuss the feature of buying AUs with bucks. I don't like the idea of giving away rewards for simple, mindless tasks like button-clicking, especially when it's so easy to abuse this feature.
    It's not that difficult to implement an undetectable voting bot with the given informations in the NS. You don't even need an image analyzer to simulate a nearly humanlike voting behaviour. This will (I bet on it, up to 25k... :D) produce a lot of unwanted "voters". Instead, award people who put real effort into this site.

•  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012 edited
    How about this?
    When someone requests a solution...
    I've made two different versions.
    You highlight the button on the left, like it gets red when you bookmark a shot and in the solution box itself you also use the same colour or a little darker, like in the second picture here :)

with a little darker and more faded yellow in the solution box

Of course you also just can use colour in the solution box without colouring the button on the left...
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2012
    @FamilyGuy

Yes, NS is about rating shots. But you can't expect user to come to NS just to rate shots and nothing else. No, users who browse NS are also there to guess shots, to add tags, fav' them, ... If you deny them the possibility to do that in NS, they won't come to NS any longer. And we need them to come and rate shots.
    But I agree on hiding these:
    - uploader
    - rating
    - favs
    This is only my opinion, though. The Staff will probably discuss this (again) in a nearby future.

I also agree about the rating-our-own-shots issue.

And you have a point about the "buying AUs with bucks" feature.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012 edited
    favs does not matter to go through the FF so i don't think it's necessary to hide them. But hide the uploader and the rating would be great, at least for people who have been banned from voting by the past at first.

voting 10 on his own shots is not really an issue since 90% of players are doing it. Fav his own shots was a real issue though because it counts more for the SotD, but it was fixed.

We could also remove the number of solves, the first solves, the hof top (first) solver since it does not mean anything anymore lol!
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012
    I personally think hiding the username & the ratings is simply a necessary step to make WTM a more fair place and would be really huge improvement.

I suggested this many months ago in chat to a mod already, but that time I got as answer that 99% of the votes are fair and the rest of the cheaters get caught by them...

I personally still think it should come sooner or later and not just for the voting banned, but for everyone.

It would simply have many advantages:

- Manipulating on the 24 hour mark would get almost close to impossible (since noone knows the ratings)
    - Manipulating for the sotd would get close to impossible (since noone knows the ratings)
    - A group of fellows would have it harder to push their shots each other the whole time
    - People would vote much more according to their taste and not if they like/dislike a user
    - In general less work for the mods, because they have to check less suspicious actions.
    - Hidden user names also for the Mods, to prevent them giving their magicals only to users they like. Sorry to say but especially from 1 Mod I only see magicals given out to always the same users. While other users seem to be ignored completely. Even I personally dont think they upload less interesting shots than the users who get their magic constantly every single day.

So for me the username of the uploader & the ratings should be hidden completely until the SOTD was given out. Then when the day is finished all usernames & ratings should be revealed together with the SOTD for this day.

I actually only see advantages when this feature would come for everyone and it would be a solution for quite many problems WTM still has at the moment.

Since we have such a nice poll feature now, maybe there should be a poll about it what the whole community thinks about this idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorefji
    I completely agree with Fireball suggestions.
    I should add that hidding the number of solves and the uploader's name will make WTM quite more difficult.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFamilyGuy
    @kinoute

Supporter Stats:
    30 GB of data in just 10 month? For the storage of the six numbers you currently use in the SS you definitly need way much less GB.
    I tested it with a MSSQL Server 2008 (it's very similar to MySql). I used a date type (3b) for the timestamp, six ints for the values and an indexed int userid (7*4b). That generates about 1,1GB per year and 50000 users.
    And this without any kinds of optimization like only keeping track of changes (not storing the same data for inactive players every day), seperate rarely (S, FS, U, B) and often (positions) changing values and store them in different tables, ...
    Do you store additional stats and numbers in this table?
    (But, even if you do, nearly 30 time more GB is pretty sick. Something is wrong there.)

@voting 10 on his own shots
    Honestly, I don't know what to say about this...
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    we have three dates, types of stats, users id, the stats and so on. We saved seven stats by user. Around 260k entries for a day.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    but i agree its not optimized enough but i can't modify it, its too big and i found a good solution already for the next 2 years
    •  
      CommentAuthorFamilyGuy
    Seriously, i don't get it :(
    You need >30 times more space to show these six numbers on the SS site than i do.
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    maintenance for 15/20min
    •  
      CommentAuthorFamilyGuy
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2012 edited
    Edit: Hm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFamilyGuy
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2012
    I hope I'm not bugging you too much, but this still keeps bothering me.
    I'm playing around with some data, now I store the indexed userid, a date timestamp and 40 values (20 integers + 20 floats) per user per day and my database is still much much smaller (5,1GB) than yours.
    What the heck do you store in this table, and why do you generate 5 rows of data per user a day?
    Please, would you be kind enough to explain the structure of the table(s) and queries to me in more detail? If you don't want to do it here or you just want me to stfu, please let me know, an email is welcome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFamilyGuy
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2012
    Ok, got it... won't bother you again.