Vanilla is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2012 edited
    Hello everyone.
    I didn't know where else to put this so I started a new thread, hope that's ok ;)

I know this was already a problem 2 years ago and now I encountered it again.
    I put a vote for deletion on this due to poor quality

http://whatthemovie.com/shot/227939

And here ist the reason why I did it:
    I made almost the exact same shot as one of the shots I might use for the contest (and didn't use in the end)

I really don't like that people remove your vote and you don't even get a shout or anything
    And I feel sorry to start a vote for deletion, but... I think the quality difference is obvious
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2012
    Thing is the uploader himself cant remove a deletion vote anymore (they changed it meanwhile within the 2 years)...so another user must have removed your vote because he didnt agree with that it's bad quality.

It wasnt me who removed your vote, but I also dont think it's bad quality. Blondins shot looks like normal dvd quality to me...but yours has an even better quality obviously. Maybe you should get Cinematographer, so you can replace all the bad quality shots in future. ;)

About what I agree with you is that someone should receive a shout when his deletion vote is removed and maybe also who removed it & for which reason...to make things more transparent for everyone.

Furthermore I understand your deletion vote for the reason that you wanted to upload this shot for the contest and now you feel like you cant do it...so I think your deletion vote is valid in some way, just not for the bad quality reason but because its a contest shot actually which should be free for other users to upload.
    There is no clear rule about this yet, it's more like a Gentlemans agreement at the moment that users shouldnt upload contest shots when a contest is running...still many users do it as we can see and their shots often dont get deleted, so I think there should be a more clear rule about it that it is forbidden.
    Even its always a bit debatable too sometimes which shots can be regarded as contest shots and which not...where to draw the line? Is every shot with a music instrument somewhere in the background automaticly a contest shot? It's sometimes not so easy to say in my opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2012 edited
    Well the thing is I think you misunderstood me ;)
    I decided myself not to upload the shot since I had other shots I liked more in the end for the contest ;) (I've uploaded my contest snapshots before blondin uploaded this one)
    So I haven't planned to upload it so it really was not the reason for me to vote on this shot for deletion... something I never would do anyway, that just would seem unfair to me ;)
    I hardly vote for deletion on shots and if I do so I only do if I feel it's within fair circumsantces.
    But what I already stated like two years ago you also just said and I fully am too for more transparency :
    About what I agree with you is that someone should receive a shout when his deletion vote is removed and maybe also who removed it & for which reason...to make things more transparent for everyone.

Regarding the contest I think it is like it is with snapshots in general. Different strokes for different folks and beauty is in the eye of the beholder so I think, someone might consider a shot with instruments in the backround already suitable for the contest while others would like to "see" a little more of the music ;)

P.S. As far as I know... the contest and the NS section are separate, so it is possible to upload a shot to the contest even if there is a shot of the same movie in the NS (just not the same one of course, that would be a dupe ;) ).

Edit: I forgot to mention that I agree with you on the contest uploads in normal NS. I also think that there should be a rule to forbid at least obvious uploads of contest themed snaps. I only can imagine how horrible I would feel, spending maybe days of finding the perfect snaps for the contest and then bam... someone else posts it or something similar in the NS section. I think I would be devastated. But that's exactly the reason why I always have at least 2 backup pictures, just in case the movie I want to choose is already taken or someone posted something in NS.
    • CommentAuthorMisterZob
    The Staff has been deleting contest-related NS shots for a long time. If you have shots that match the contest theme but that you didn't care to upload in the Vault, just wait until the constest has ended to upload them in NS.
    • CommentAuthorFireball
    And sometimes the Staff also gives out magicals for contest shots, like this one for example http://whatthemovie.com/shot/227693 ^^
    • CommentAuthorkinoute
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2012 edited
    Uploads were not opened at this time
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    @kinoute
    You're right about that, but taking that into account, someone could upload a shot for example 1 hour before the Vault is opened. In that case according to what you said he or she would be allowed to do so, regardless that exactly this shot might be one someone wanted to upload in the contest. I think that seems a bit unfair. Maybe a rule that states like 48 hours before the Vault opens it is not allowed to upload contest themed shots or something similar would be nice. That way, even if someone uploads the shot someone wanted to use for the contest, there would still be enough time to make new snapshots.
    Just a thought :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2012 edited
    It happened again... I put a vote on this one http://whatthemovie.com/shot/228790# because it is a contest themed snap and it got removed.
    I really think this is something that maybe kinoute could take a look at when he finds the time... that somehow we get a shout on our profile when our vote for deletion gets removed, maybe by who and why... that would be very much appreciated :)
    If I wouldn't bookmark those shots and check on them I never would realise my vote has been removed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPhoenix
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012 edited
    And again lol
    http://whatthemovie.com/shot/228996

Now I don't know the movie (I think) so I'm not sure, that's why I had a ? behind my deletion vote... but it looks extremely low quality to me.
    And again I got no explanation or anything...
    If I am wrong and this shot is supposed to look that way, I'm fine with it but at least the person, that removed my vote, could have given me a shout why.
    • CommentAuthorKajBorg
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2012
    You can't really delete shots that have to do with sound can you? That's way to broad a subject, I can hear the waves when I see a picture of the sea or hear the rain.... But that's all besides the point!

Phoenix, how long did it take for your deletionvote to actually disappear? I'm no computerwizz but maybe the vote isn't carried through in the sites due to cookies or whatever. Is the vote still there after you refresh the page or even restart your browser?
    Ah well, I just might be spewing nonsense here.

good luck!